Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 8:56 PM
Default Windows 10 and Sims 2
My PC died last week, and it's looking more and more like it's motherboard that's broken, which means I'm having to face the possibility of being forced to upgrade to windows 10. And I have no idea what to do, I can't decide if it's more hassle to update to windows 10, or to try to find windows 7 compatible hardware. So I figured I'll consult you lovely people, since I know many of you are running windows 10. How annoying was it to get Sims 2 to play on windows 10? I've not really paid attention previously, I just remember it's been a recurring thing mentioned as being troublesome. Any thoughts, tips or advice would be helpful

(I realize this might sound more like a help question but I don't feel it is, as I'm not looking for help to resolve my specific situation, but rather player experiences of Sims 2 and windows 10 in general).

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 10:01 PM
Just did it recently and followed the steps on Pleasant Sims' website incl. Graphic Rules. My game is running without bigger issues now. I have some minor graphic glitches here and there but nothing annoying enough to try the DXVK fix.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 1:32 AM
I never had any issues whatsoever (or if I did, they were so inconsequential as to be completely forgettable). I did have to move to the digital version of the game rather than the disks I had used before, but c'est la vie.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 12:27 PM
I use the disk version of the game on Windows 10, absolutely possible as long as you use a noCD and Grumpy Loader. I also run AGS, SIMPE, Bodyshop, Clean Installer, Hood check etc. with no issues.
Advice for installing Sims 2 on Win 10/ 11 would be- absolutely do not install to the default location, make a folder somewhere else (mine is C:\Games) to install, as then you can mod your graphics rules and other game files without UAC and file virtualization.
Alchemist
#5 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 1:24 PM
I have UC, and installation wasn't a big deal. I had to edit the graphics rules, add the shadow fix mod and the 4 GB patch, and that was it.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 4:41 PM
I have used both UC and Win 10 since they both came out (I think UC was first - can't even remember).

I have been quite happy with using it, no issues really, after getting it to work in the first place. I believe there are less steps these days and those that omglo refer to above, cover most, if not all.

Since you have all your disks intact, you have options anyway - disks would probably require some graphic rules as well (I think that is due to Windows 10 rather than the UC, but I may be wrong). I remember sitting with my broken Disk 2 from the Base game in my hand, not knowing what the hell to do shortly before the UC was released
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 10:04 PM
After nearly eight years playing in low resolution on a netbook running Windows 7, I upgraded to a new Dell gaming laptop running Windows 10 in October last year. I'm still really blown away by the improvement! My game now loads at lightning speed. There's no lag. For the first time I've got high resolution graphics complete with shadows and reflections. It makes me wonder how I put up with the old system for so long! There were a few issues, but far fewer than I anticipated. With a lot of help from simsample, omglo, bitmap52 and others, I had my game running its best ever in a matter of days. As I recall most of the relevant posts are in the Random Questions and Random Thoughts threads, starting around the beginning of October. I did eventually start a Help thread, but by that time most issues were already well on their way to resolution. I'll try to dig out links.

I should probably mention that only play EPs up to EP3 (Open for Business), and I used my discs to install. This makes things a bit easier as it seems that most SecuROM problems only started with the late EPs. I didn't need Grumpy Loader or a No-CD hack, nor have I needed the 4Gb patch yet.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 10:15 PM
@Aspersim You should link people to the creators' sites for those mods instead of attaching them, as (apart form the Christianlov one) they are all available, with documentation, elsewhere. People need to read about mod requirements, conflicts and details of what the mods do before installing.
Alchemist
#10 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 10:34 PM
@Aspersim just fyi, BO stands for BoilingOil, not Burning oil. (And BO's mods are at Leefish, for reference.) Also, just curious, is there a reason why you say disc users need to get The Sims 2 Double Deluxe Edition? Some might already have all the original discs. For example if I were to update to Windows 10, could I not use the discs I already have? Is Double Deluxe easier to install or something? I would think that with the newer Lazy Duchess mods like Separates for All and the First Born Syndrome fix/loader, the regular discs or the UC would be preferred. So again, curious why you say someone needs to get the collections--or is that recommendation for someone who doesn't already have the games?

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 12:48 PM
Aspersim, I appreciate that you are trying to help but you are derailing the thread. You're not talking about what I actually asked about, which is getting Sims 2 to work on Windows 10. You're talking about generic game advice for new players. I'm not new. I've played Sims 2 since it was released. I know all these things, and if other people want that kind of advice then they should start a thread that's actually about that.

So thank you, but please stop.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 12:55 PM
Apologies for double posting but I wanted to keep above post separate.

Thanks everyone that's replied with helpful stuff, I really appreciate it. It is indeed motherboard that's dead, and finding windows 7 compatible hardware is more hassle than I can deal with, so windows 10 it is. Good to know that UC is a backup if I can't get my current installation to work. I'd prefer to get the discs+nocdhacks to work, not a fan of letting EA touch my computer more than I have to. Bad enough I'll have to let windows touch it I run without shadows so might not need shadow fix. Fingers crossed all I end up needing is graphics rules edit

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 2:13 PM
@Aspersim and @Phantomknight I am running the four disc (CD) version of Sims 2 (that I purchased in 2004!) on my Win 10 computer. I'll quote myself so you don't need to scroll:
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I use the disk version of the game on Windows 10, absolutely possible as long as you use a noCD and Grumpy Loader. I also run AGS, SIMPE, Bodyshop, Clean Installer, Hood check etc. with no issues.
Advice for installing Sims 2 on Win 10/ 11 would be- absolutely do not install to the default location, make a folder somewhere else (mine is C:\Games) to install, as then you can mod your graphics rules and other game files without UAC and file virtualization.

Forgot to add that I use the shadowfix too (otherwise have to use shadows on a lower detail). Apart from those few caveats, it works and is absolutely possible. I don't want to use the UC or any of the combo packs, as this then prevents me from running a purely basegame environment, which I do from time to time using AGS.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 11:26 PM
Forgot to add that I use the shadowfix too (otherwise have to use shadows on a lower detail). Apart from those few caveats, it works and is absolutely possible. I don't want to use the UC or any of the combo packs, as this then prevents me from running a purely basegame environment, which I do from time to time using AGS.

Yeah that's another reason I would prefer to keep using discs, I need AGS for modding purposes so I can play-test mods in different setups. Not that I'm actively modding at the moment but would like to think I can return to it one day and it'd suck to not be able to use AGS anymore.

Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
I'm sorry, I was not trying to derail your thread. I was only trying to help

I've did some deleting to my posts in this thread to fix this

I absolutely understood that your intention was always to be helpful Not always easy to understand what people mean in text, I can see how you maybe thought I was talking more generically about starting Sims 2

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Jul 2021 at 10:36 PM
Happy ending for me. Turned out it was not the motherboard, but the power supply, which is windows 7 compatible so I can stay in my happy windows 7 bubble. But now I have a bookmark to go to on the dreadful day I do have to upgrade to windows 10, and hopefully someone else might find it if they need the information

Scholar
#18 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 10:15 PM

Why should it not be installed in the default location?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
Why should it not be installed in the default location?

You can install it to wherever you like, but if you are planning to mod your game files (graphics rules, adding the CEP, clean templates, lighting mods etc) then install it somewhere else. The default location (C:\Program Files (x86)) is protected by User Account Control and so any changes you make are subject to file and registry virtualization. This is not a bad thing, but it requires that you perform any modifications with administrator permissions, and you may need to to clear the virtual store if removing or changing modifications. Much easier to just install to a custom location.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 1:41 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th Jul 2021 at 2:10 AM.
I had some trouble getting the game to run - or rather, I think it's more hardware related than Windows 10 (a newer Nvidia card).

Installed the UC, and I think it ran on first try - but the graphics failed miserably, and I think it crashed at startup or I got some error message or somehing. Had to drag it kicking and screaming through GraphicRules, 4 GB patch, windowed mode, graphic card updates, the Memory Allocation Fix, tried DXVK (only made the game crash more, so I removed it) and a few other things, before I finally got it running somewhat okay without pink-flashing and crashing all over the place - turned out the GraphicRules needed an extra edit to get rid of pink soup (took me several months of frustration to figure out, and found that fix just before 2.0 GRM came out with the fix added). Still have some issues with semi-random crashes (possibly? Only happened once or twice) but the game looks absolutely awesome when it's not crashing. Haven't seen any pink since the last addition to the GraphicRules, but also haven't thrown my 25+ GB CC folder at it (still working on poking at that thing with a stick to recategorize things and remove stuff I'm not using), so we'll see...

In general I haven't found Windows 10 to be too much of an issue when installing programs. Most of the programs I use have installed and run without needing much (or any) tinkering. I do have other issues with the OS, though

I still have my game CDs, but opted for the UC because the laptop doesn't have a disc drive. I have an external one, but thought I'd keep the CDs as backups this time, and didn't want to deal with extra programs, SecuRom, GrumpyLoader, etc. (plus it takes ages with all the CDs). Never had issues installing the CDs on my previous computers (XP, Vista and Win7), so I'm a bit curious if I would've had issues on this one. Also curious if my story hood would've worked with the CDs - the last time I tried with the UC I'm not entirely sure if I'd done the pink soup line fix (I think I had), but I'd definitely not removed the DXVK (which caused more frequent crashes), so it's possible I could've gotten the 'hood back to working somehow. Not prepared to wait around an hour for it to load, only to be met with another crash (did that twice - I'm fine with long loading times if I can play at the end of it (working at that, too), but not if all I get is crashing)...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
turned out the GraphicRules needed an extra edit to get rid of pink soup (took me several months of frustration to figure out, and found that fix just before 2.0 GRM came out with the fix added).

@simmer22 Do you remember what it was you did? I have a lot of issues with pink flashing in my game, if I run it too long it will invariably start flashing and I have to restart PC to make it run smooth again, so if there's something one can do to reduce that I wanna know

Forum Resident
#22 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 6:49 PM Last edited by Sokisims : 20th Jul 2021 at 7:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
@simmer22 Do you remember what it was you did? I have a lot of issues with pink flashing in my game, if I run it too long it will invariably start flashing and I have to restart PC to make it run smooth again, so if there's something one can do to reduce that I wanna know

After trying everything (4gb patch, graphic rules), I couldn't fix it until I edited the graphic rules and installed a program that prevented windows 10 from stealing almost all of my ram. I had to follow a tutorial in Spanish to the letter. When I finally made it work I got excited xD Now I only have flickering when I abuse my computer a lot with the game in windowed mode and many applications at the same time. And it's not even something that happens to me.

Although sometimes I have blink when I enter more than four or five large lots. When it happens to me I close the game and clear the cache. I don't recommend restarting the computer so much, I destroyed my motherboard for that. The best thing would be to close the game and use cc cleaner, in addition to clearing the cache.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 8:31 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st Jul 2021 at 2:07 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt

I found this - part 2 "Disabling texture memory estimate adjustment": https://episims.tumblr.com/post/190...-helped-me-with
It's now a part of the 2.0 GRM, so if you use that you can fix it with a click of a button. The 1.0 version of GRM removed the line, which was probably the main cause of my troubles in the first place

Doesn't hurt to check if it's gone missing, but it is most likely only a problem if you get the pink soup issue after playing a short time - not if you get "regular" pink flashing after playing for several hours (or days...) and have lots of CC or bad hardware to blame.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 1:05 AM
Thank you You are right, it might be my issues are different but it's worth a shot. I have good hardware but I can't go past 3gb custom content or it starts failing so anything and everything that helps the game understand and better use the hardware is good in my book

Page 1 of 2