Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Aug 2022 at 11:42 PM Last edited by bloodstained_black_lace : 30th Aug 2022 at 4:16 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Access Violation Crash, Except I've Done EVERYTHING
Hello, everyone!

Ive been having some really bad issues with the game since getting my new computer, which runs Windows 10. I played quite a few times without it crashing like this, but then I didn't play for a while and now it won't stop. I can barely play one lot without it crashing, though sometimes I can get through several. Its random.

But I've done everything to fix it...and I don't know what else to do.

What I've done:
- My Standby List automatically empties every 5 minutes, freeing up ram.
- I increased the size of the paging file
- Ive got the 4gb patch and verified its working
- Ive used Graphics Rules Maker and:
A- Added my graphics card
B- Set my texture memory to various levels trying to fix this. Its currently at 16 gigs.
- Running RCP
- Got the sim Shadows fix
-Shut down everything the computer will let me shut down to make sure nothing is hurting the game
-NOT added any new CC in like 3 years...so I know my game is stable

I've done everything I can do, and everything everyone has suggested in similar situations. I do not know what else to try. I recently tried to run the game in VirtualBox, but wasnt able to start it up due to missing drivers, and by that point I had read that this tends to make the game choppy, so I gave up. I don't really want to run it in VirtualBox anyway.

My computer more than meets the requirements of the game...and I know that is probably the issue.

Is there anything, anything, else I can do that I haven't done?

Ive been playing this game for 20 years...

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Advertisement
Space Pony
#2 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 3:13 AM
I'm assuming you've applied the 4GB patch, then? Also, stupid idea, but try running it without the CC. I've had stuff just decide to stop working on me before, in rare instances.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 3:23 AM
You didn't mention doing the 4 GB patch, that is what is most needed for crashing. The other things you listed are more for graphics performance.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 4:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You didn't mention doing the 4 GB patch, that is what is most needed for crashing. The other things you listed are more for graphics performance.

Ive had the 4gb patch installed for years and I just forgot to mention it. It also comes with the RCP Launcher. I edited my original post to mention it because I forgot to include it.

The patch is working, when the game crashes, the crash logs typically read that I have 4096 ram free of 4096...like it isnt even using it when it crashes... But, it DOES see 4gb.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Airazor65
I'm assuming you've applied the 4GB patch, then? Also, stupid idea, but try running it without the CC. I've had stuff just decide to stop working on me before, in rare instances.

Ive had it for years and in comes standard with RCP. I forgot to mention it.

Space Pony
#6 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 6:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bloodstained_black_lace
Ive had it for years and in comes standard with RCP. I forgot to mention it.

Oh, that’s right, it does. Hmm... let’s see. Some other possible things:

Some causes:
Have you recently updated windows? (Windows 10 updates are a mess, I swear)
Do you have dropbox or something similar on your computer? (It enjoys eating files for breakfast)

Some other solutions to try:
When you run the game, set the affinity to one or two cores using Task Manager (if you have multiple cores, which you probably do with a pc running Windows 10)

Check to see what your antivirus is up to (you probably already checked, but—), as it may be interfering

Run the game in windowed mode if you haven’t already (?)

Check the game files to see if anything has changed recently.

To be fair, I appear to be in a similar predicament as you. But not as severe, as I am mainly dealing with slowness and the occasional crash. I hope. Seriously, did I just jinx it? Probably.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#7 Old 31st Aug 2022 at 12:05 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue.
    • Please post a Quick summary of your System Specs
      Instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.
    • Please post your config-log located here: <username>\Documents\EA Games\<game version>\Logs

*If you have Dual-graphics, please post your complete DxDiag report in your thread. And put in between [ spoiler ] specs here [ /spoiler ] tags (remove the spaces).

16Gb of texture memory sounds like it's way more than your GPU even has. This can cause crashing by trying to allocate more than you physically have.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#8 Old 31st Aug 2022 at 9:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bloodstained_black_lace
-NOT added any new CC in like 3 years...so I know my game is stable...

Just wanted to point out that not adding any new CC in all that times doesn't necessarily mean your game is stable. CC can become corrupted over time through no fault of your own. I've had to redownload and reinstall more than a few things over the years. It happens.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 31st Aug 2022 at 11:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Just wanted to point out that not adding any new CC in all that times doesn't necessarily mean your game is stable. CC can become corrupted over time through no fault of your own. I've had to redownload and reinstall more than a few things over the years. It happens.

I will second that. Crashing itself can corrupt CC. An example I have is my game crashed on an elder male birthday. After that the elder male section in CAS would make my game crash. I had to find and remove the CC elder wear.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Sep 2022 at 12:39 AM
You can also have items in your game that you haven't used since downloading them 3 years ago, but when you finally decide to use them it turns out they crash your game or cause other problems when clicked on or placed.

Post your computer specs, as per HugeLunatic's post. New computer doesn't always mean things are going to stay stable and work nicely, not even with higher specs (especially not with newer graphics and Win10 or above).

Could be performance. To get a small boost while playing, try turning off some of the high-demanding graphic settings that otherwise don't cause too much of an annoyance.

If you use the RPC, try turning off all the extra functions that could have a negative impact on graphics and performance, if they're not already off.

If you get as far as into the game, try turning off shadows and reflections. The UseShaders cheat can be a good idea to turn off too (unless your graphic card is one of those that causes all kinds of weird stuff to happen with it turned off - if so, it's possible the shader fix from LazyDuchess can help).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Sep 2022 at 2:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue.
    • Please post a Quick summary of your System Specs
      Instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.
    • Please post your config-log located here: <username>\Documents\EA Games\<game version>\Logs

*If you have Dual-graphics, please post your complete DxDiag report in your thread. And put in between [ spoiler ] specs here [ /spoiler ] tags (remove the spaces).

16Gb of texture memory sounds like it's way more than your GPU even has. This can cause crashing by trying to allocate more than you physically have.

Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz

I will second that. Crashing itself can corrupt CC. An example I have is my game crashed on an elder male birthday. After that the elder male section in CAS would make my game crash. I had to find and remove the CC elder wear.

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You can also have items in your game that you haven't used since downloading them 3 years ago, but when you finally decide to use them it turns out they crash your game or cause other problems when clicked on or placed.

Post your computer specs, as per HugeLunatic's post. New computer doesn't always mean things are going to stay stable and work nicely, not even with higher specs (especially not with newer graphics and Win10 or above).

Could be performance. To get a small boost while playing, try turning off some of the high-demanding graphic settings that otherwise don't cause too much of an annoyance.

If you use the RPC, try turning off all the extra functions that could have a negative impact on graphics and performance, if they're not already off.

If you get as far as into the game, try turning off shadows and reflections. The UseShaders cheat can be a good idea to turn off too (unless your graphic card is one of those that causes all kinds of weird stuff to happen with it turned off - if so, it's possible the shader fix from LazyDuchess can help).

Here are my specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 62 °C
Matisse 7nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1596MHz (22-22-22-52)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. A320M-S2H-CF (AM4) 33 °C
Graphics
55S421 (3840x2160@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 (MSI) 36 °C
Storage
119GB MTFDDAK128MAY-1AH1ZABHA (SATA (SSD)) 37 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EURX-63UY4Y0 (SATA ) 35 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00E8B0 (SATA ) 41 °C
931GB Western Digital WD Elements SE SSD SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) 35 °C
7452GB Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) ) 44 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

I have 6 gigs of video ram, and I know 16 is overkill. I didnt automatically set it to 16, it was just something I tried from a suggestion I found online to fix the problem, which was to set the texture memory and paging file size to a number that was twice my ram (it did not specify twice my video ram, and I gave it half my ram instead). I have 32 gigs of ram.

Normally, the texture memory is set to 6 gigs.

I have tried changing those numbers to a lot of different things just to get the game to work properly. My normal settings are the typical recommendation, I was just using that as an example of some random things ive tried to do.

The game worked perfectly fine the last time I played it.

It makes no difference if I have CC in or not.

During this particular trying-to-figure-it-out session, the game ran for 4 hours without a single crash, and during that time I got through several lots. After it crashed, finally, I tried to play again and it just started crashing relatively quickly...sometimes it takes 10 minutes, sometimes it takes an hour. It doesnt seem to matter what lots or sims I play.

Here is an example of a crash log:
Exception time: 08/28/2022, at 23:14:28.
Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.
Current thread ID: 1392 (0x00000570).
Version information:
Application/module path: F:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Starter Pack\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9RPC.exe
Application/module version name: The Sims 2 EP9
Application/module version: 1.17.0.66
System version: Windows NT 6.0
System memory: 4096 Megabytes total, 4096 Megabytes free.
Application/module configuration: ReleaseSRT

Im not sure if it matters, but when it crashes, even though it says "Access_Violation", it never actually seems to be using any RAM (all of it is free).

Space Pony
#12 Old 21st Sep 2022 at 4:18 PM

It can what?!!
Forum Resident
#13 Old 22nd Sep 2022 at 1:47 AM

Game crashing as males turn into elders actually sounds like you have the uhkjhihjkj(11) file lurking in your game, for some reason elders crashing is really common result of having that particular file. It's not always called that and could be just random letters & numbers so search your whole downloads for *.package , set the results in order by size starting from the largest and see if you have file(s) that's about 6.64 MB in size. Open it/them in SimPE and if it contains 1534 CRES files delete it, it's junk file and often causes crashing but since it also attaches itself in sim files people often think its a mesh and include it as such.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 9:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by foxmanic
Game crashing as males turn into elders actually sounds like you have the uhkjhihjkj(11) file lurking in your game, for some reason elders crashing is really common result of having that particular file. It's not always called that and could be just random letters & numbers so search your whole downloads for *.package , set the results in order by size starting from the largest and see if you have file(s) that's about 6.64 MB in size. Open it/them in SimPE and if it contains 1534 CRES files delete it, it's junk file and often causes crashing but since it also attaches itself in sim files people often think its a mesh and include it as such.

I never had that, heard about it but never had it. It was a hard crash to desktop. After that the game would crash if I clicked to a certain page in elder male wear in CAS or Body Shop and after doing a 50/50 on CAS CC I found and removed an elder male outfit I had had for years. It was fixed after that.

It can what?!!

It can possibly corrupt CC yes. Its always a good idea to make backups of your download folder along with everything else.

@bloodstained_black_lace Since you have the RCP Launcher what are your settings in there? It could be something like lot imposters being set too high.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#15 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 5:42 PM
Some causes:
Have you recently updated windows? (Windows 10 updates are a mess, I swear)
Do you have dropbox or something similar on your computer? (It enjoys eating files for breakfast)

@Airazor65 do you mean with Dropbox eating files that it deletes files outside of Dropbox folder, or that it takes up a lot of memory?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 6:38 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Oct 2022 at 7:18 PM.
You mean OneDrive? It comes with Windows (10 and possibly 11), and if you don't keep attention to the way things are set up, it can do a synchronized backup of your Documents folder (where the saved game usually is stored), which you don't want, since this can mess with the memory handling and saving in the game if the OneDrive folder runs out of memory it's allowed to use.

If you have similar setups with other synched cloud drives, make sure you don't let them touch the Documents folder (or wherever your saved game is). These files are best to backup non-synched (copy and paste to your preferred storage area after you've closed down your game).
Inventor
#17 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 6:47 PM
@simmer22 not OP, but I had this issue with OneDrive indeed, so I had to google how to separate OneDrive Documents from local Documents before installing TS2.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 7:33 PM
Have you noticed any patterns in when your game crashes?
- On CC-heavy or large lots?
- When loading and/or playing spesific lots?
- When playing with spesific sims?
- In spesific parts of CAS, the build/buy menu, or when using "change appearance" in mirrors?
- When something is changing, like sims and strays coming and going, skin overlays being applied or removed (like supernatural changes or weather skin overlays), and similar?
- When you use sims and/or items with very high polycounts and/or large textures?
- Have you had any jump bugs (sims resetting), or error messages (if you pay with Testingcheats on)?

- When your game does pink-flashing, does it start with just a few items and spreads gradually, or does it go pink all at once? Can you play for a while before this happens? If you used GRM, did you make sure to use the newest version (2.0, April 2020) and that the first two boxes were ticked?

- Other things?

Some can be indicative of memory crashes. Other can point more toward issues with CC.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 10:50 PM
Talking of memory do you have the clear allocation memory fix done?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iwuLZyjMg

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#20 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 12:48 AM
The DXVK can help for some people, too.
(For me it seemed to cause random crashes after I'd sorted out the pink soup I had issues with, but I'm honestly not sure. The game seemed a bit more stable after I removed it. Seems to work very well for some people, and not for others, but could be worth a try).
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=633003

Another thing is if you play with neighbors turned on and the hood view set to further than the max ingame setting (via the cheat file). I came across this video today, and she had quite bad crashing issues, but they seemed to get vastly better just by turning off neighbors and removing LODs from CC imposters. That could be something to have in mind when decorating a neighborhood. If you use CC hood deco but just want to play and don't need the neighborhood in the background to look pretty in a play session, turn off both neighborhood decorations and neighbors, and set the view distance to low or medium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac1PyUxKoNU
(She also mentions the DXVK at the end, and how to install it, plus some other things she tried - it's not a "how to" video like Jessa's, but there are a few potentially useful tips in there).
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 1:31 AM
Default A few notes about the uhkjhihjkj(11) bug.
I lost my entire game and my offline backup a couple of weeks ago. So I've been locating and installing a whole bunch of stuff including sims. I have to use "Bulk ReName Utility" for all the package.package.etc files. And "Search My Files" to locate all files between 6.5 megs and 7 megs. Looking for the uhkjhihjkj(11) file. Be aware it's not always uhkjhihjkj(11). I've seen it have a "normal" name (very unusual). My 2 latest are cd0e3d3c8594b1194b07d9ca91b101db.package & dc0fd099af47c9493646a778dd7e3c01.package. These seem to come mostly from Russian sources and are usually OLD files. But anytime you do a bulk install, you should always check prior to running the game.

Best of Luck!
Mad Poster
#22 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 2:00 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Nov 2022 at 3:18 AM.
^ Make sure you check the files, just in case (they're usually about 6 MB, but some mesh/recolor files can be that size, too). If they come with lots, they can be mailbox/trashcan files (these are a pain, but usually smaller in size), but they can also just be renamed recolor files and such (the default installer renames files sometimes - but the Clean Installer doesn't, so anything that's got weird names with the Clean Installer had weird names before it was packed).

The "uhkjhihjkj(11)" type files (names vary) are very easy to recognize if you open them up in SimPE. They only have CRES files in them, I think maybe 1500 or so.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 2:11 AM
From memory the "uhkjhihjkj file was very large. If you have any suspect file right click and check its properties for size.

~Call me Jo~