Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Aug 2022 at 5:34 PM
Default How can I turn a default replacement to a non-default?
Hi guys,

I'm totally new to modding/creating custom content, but there's some default replacement clothing that I really like, but don't want as defaults cos I still like the maxis original. I can't find the same outfits as non-defaults anywhere, and the creators haven't replied to my messages asking if they have non-default versions. (None of them have uploaded anything in quite a while so I imagine they're not active any more.)

So my question is, how can I turn these default replacement items into non-defaults? I have SimPE and BodyShop, but I've never done anything with editing CC on either so I have no idea where to start. All the tutorials I can find are about creating default replacements, and I haven't been able to figure out how to reserve the process on an existing item.

Does anyone have instructions or a tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Aug 2022 at 6:36 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 31st Aug 2022 at 6:47 PM.
First locate the default replacement original topic, and see if the item already was a custom item (most items start out as custom items). Saves you a lot of trouble.

If it wasn't:
Extract the GMDC and the texture(s) from the file with SimPE (open the file, right-click the GMDC, click "extract". Click on the TXTR, choose "Extract". Renaming optional for both). You can also extract the texture by making a recolor of the default outfit in Bodyshop, but this can occasionally result in a lower quality texture.

Then use a tutorial on how to make an outfit from scratch, but skip (most of) the meshing parts and how to edit the texture, since you already have those parts.

You may have to fix some group naming and such, so it is possible you'll need a meshing program for this, it depends a bit on the mesh (group names need to match in the mesh and in the PropertySet), but some of the naming changes can be done directly in SimPE, in the "Groups" tab in the GMDC.

Basic clothing tutorial:
https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...New_Mesh_Basics

One potential cheat is to put in the default outfit temporarily and make a recolor of it, because then you have the perfect number groups and naming and all of that as a base file for the custom outfit - especially if it's an outfit with more than one group. You'll still need to make the mesh file to have it fully custom.