Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 1:46 PM
Default S3 to S4 animation conversion
Hi everyone! Today, I wanted to talk about converting Sims 3 animations to Sims 4.

I've done a lot of digging around, some on reddit and some on the Sims4Studio forum. What I've found is that it IS possible to convert Sims 3 animations to the Sims 4. The only question is HOW.

As of now, I know how to use Sims3PE to extract animations. I have the S3PY plugin so that I can get the animations into Blender. I have the Sims 3 rigs and the Sims 4 rigs. The only problem is, if you try to copy directly from the Sims 3 to the Sims 4, the rig becomes a jumbled mess. The bones do not align. Basically, there are two options from this point. 1) remake the animation from scratch, which is obviously less preferable, or 2) create or find a plugin that would remap the bones correctly. I don't know the first thing about creating plugins, but I do know that laziness is a great motivator if you want to get something done in an easier way.

If anyone knows of some resources that would help me on this endeavor, that would be greatly appreciated. Or if you could point me in the direction of someone who might know how to make these conversions possible. At this point, what I need to make the conversions happen is either information, a plugin, or 3t4 rigs. Anyways, I hope you're all having a great day and I hope someday, I can make this work!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 29th Sep 2022 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by robbie.sleeps
Hi everyone! Today, I wanted to talk about converting Sims 3 animations to Sims 4.

I've done a lot of digging around, some on reddit and some on the Sims4Studio forum. What I've found is that it IS possible to convert Sims 3 animations to the Sims 4. The only question is HOW.

As of now, I know how to use Sims3PE to extract animations. I have the S3PY plugin so that I can get the animations into Blender. I have the Sims 3 rigs and the Sims 4 rigs. The only problem is, if you try to copy directly from the Sims 3 to the Sims 4, the rig becomes a jumbled mess. The bones do not align. Basically, there are two options from this point. 1) remake the animation from scratch, which is obviously less preferable, or 2) create or find a plugin that would remap the bones correctly. I don't know the first thing about creating plugins, but I do know that laziness is a great motivator if you want to get something done in an easier way.

If anyone knows of some resources that would help me on this endeavor, that would be greatly appreciated. Or if you could point me in the direction of someone who might know how to make these conversions possible. At this point, what I need to make the conversions happen is either information, a plugin, or 3t4 rigs. Anyways, I hope you're all having a great day and I hope someday, I can make this work!

You need to retarget the TS3 animation on to the TS4 rig, I know some of the Autodesk tools has this feature but if you do a Google search there are also some Blender plugins available, if you need more details you will need to ask someone a little more adept at animation than I am.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Oct 2022 at 2:51 AM
The person I think you would need to speak with is thepancake1 and you might possibly need to make use of s4animtools, also created by him. https://github.com/thepancake1/_s4animtools

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu