Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2022 at 8:40 PM Last edited by singingkitten : 16th Feb 2022 at 8:42 PM. Reason: clarifying my CC experience

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Click to Drag, Rotate, and Zoom not working properly...
Hi there!
New to the community, but not a new simmer. I just recently downloaded Sims 2: Super Collection on my 13-inch, 2011 MacBook Pro... (I know). Everything downloaded and seems to be working just fine with one catch: I can't get click to drag, L and R click rotate, or zoom for that matter to work. Now, I already ordered a new mouse, and it's in the mail... but both the trackpad and my mouse seem to be doing the same thing: virtually nothing. Has anyone had this issue with downloading from the App Store to your Mac? I really, really need click to drag in order to do the type of gameplay I like to play properly. I already reached out to ASPYR to create a ticket for this issue I've been having, but what else can I troubleshoot before assuming this is a Bug/Defect. I'm working on downloading custom content, I used to download CC all the time onto my dad's WindowsXP back in the day, and I am very interested in downloading mods especially if there is a camera mod that can fix this camera/rotation/zoom/click to drag issue I have. I have a few ideas on where to start, but I'm getting desperate here. Any help on how to download custom content is appreciated as well. I hope I'm not alone in this click to drag issue, and I do not hope that my only solution is to buy a newer computer at the moment... Anyways, hope someone can help me! Thank you!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Feb 2022 at 9:05 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Feb 2022 at 9:16 PM.
What kind of mouse do you have? One with two buttons, or does it have a scroll wheel that functions as a third button?

On a PC you usually have to use the Ctrl button along with the mouse buttons for some of the camera functions, so for some of the functions I'm guessing you'd need to use the command button instead (the one that looks like a fan or pretzel).

Full overview here (but you'll have to substitute the Ctrl and any other buttons that are different between PC/mac) https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...board_Shortcuts
(A few other keys are different if you're using a non-US keyboard, but you can usually find the correct keys in roughly the same spots by comparing)

It's also possible you've got a program running that's blocking the mouse commands somehow. Could depend if you've got the game in windowed or fullscreen mode.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Feb 2022 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
What kind of mouse do you have? One with two buttons, or does it have a scroll wheel that functions as a third button?

On a PC you usually have to use the Ctrl button along with the mouse buttons for some of the camera functions, so for some of the functions I'm guessing you'd need to use the command button instead (the one that looks like a fan or pretzel).

Full overview here (but you'll have to substitute the Ctrl and any other buttons that are different between PC/mac) https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...board_Shortcuts
(A few other keys are different if you're using a non-US keyboard, but you can usually find the correct keys in roughly the same spots by comparing)

It's also possible you've got a program running that's blocking the mouse commands somehow. Could depend if you've got the game in windowed or fullscreen mode.

So I have a US keyboard. I also have a mouse with a scroll wheel. I’m aware of using the option button, but pressing that doesn’t do anything. I’ll have to check into a program running in the background. Not sure what game mode I’ve got it on, but it takes up the full screen. I am mainly worried about the click and drag feature, everything else I can work around.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Feb 2022 at 1:00 AM
Some of the mouse options (like the "tile camera") require the Ctrl button + Rclick/drag, and with a Mac you use the option button instead of the Ctrl button.

Right-click/drag to move the camera (forth/back and side to side) should be possible unless something is blocking it.
You can edge-scroll if it's enabled in the options and you play fullscreen (can't remember if it works in windowed mode, as I haven't used it in a while)

Rotating the camera is done via buttons or keys (you can rotate/360 the camera around itself in TAB mode by moving the mouse).

If you've got one of the newer dedicated graphic cards (Nvidia 1000+, etc.) it's possible one of the recent updates has added or activated something that is messing with the mouse and/or touchpad. I vaguely remember a post about it from not too long ago but can't find it, hence the uncertainty. There tends to be all sorts of settings and overlays with the graphic cards, and they don't always play nicely along with older games. If it applies to you, you might want to look through the settings and see if you can find anything that's got to do with the mouse or touchpad.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Feb 2022 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Some of the mouse options (like the "tile camera") require the Ctrl button + Rclick/drag, and with a Mac you use the option button instead of the Ctrl button.

Right-click/drag to move the camera (forth/back and side to side) should be possible unless something is blocking it.
You can edge-scroll if it's enabled in the options and you play fullscreen (can't remember if it works in windowed mode, as I haven't used it in a while)

Rotating the camera is done via buttons or keys (you can rotate/360 the camera around itself in TAB mode by moving the mouse).

If you've got one of the newer dedicated graphic cards (Nvidia 1000+, etc.) it's possible one of the recent updates has added or activated something that is messing with the mouse and/or touchpad. I vaguely remember a post about it from not too long ago but can't find it, hence the uncertainty. There tends to be all sorts of settings and overlays with the graphic cards, and they don't always play nicely along with older games. If it applies to you, you might want to look through the settings and see if you can find anything that's got to do with the mouse or touchpad.

Rotate with the manual buttons on the screen and with < > on the keyboard works fine. Option-L click-drag does not work. L click-drag does not work either. I’ve never known it to be R click-drag. Edge scroll is enabled and working as well. I used to also be able to use L click to rotate L and R click to rotate right. I’ve been having issues with this particular thing Sim 4 as well so, however, I can still L click-drag in Sims 4.

Not sure what else to try or troubleshoot, but I’ll just have to look into settings on my computer somehow, but it’s not as straightforward as a windows computer unfortunately.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 17th Feb 2022 at 1:07 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Mar 2022 at 9:53 PM.
Pretty sure it's R-click-drag in TS2, not left. Left is used for other things than moving the camera. You can't rotate with the mouse buttons in TS2. Zoom is best done via scrolling the mouse wheel if you have one.

The mouse controls are are a bit different in TS2 and TS4. I've switched a bit between them lately, and with a longer break from TS2 it took me a while to get into the TS2 controls again. I think TS4 has some rotating functions in the mouse controls. Could just be you've been mixing up the two games - the controls are similar enough to be easily confused (I do it all the time - I usually have to struggle a bit for a few minutes until the proper controls are back into my hands when I switch between the games).

EDIT: (while I'm in the game and can do some testing)

- Right/drag with the mouse to move the camera around in live/buy mode.
- Ctrl + Right/drag OR click/hold the mouse wheel/middle button to rotate the camera freely in live/buy mode. ( , and . also has rotation but just along one axis)
- Holding Alt and moving the mouse has some kind of slow panning effect with the camera (right/drag is faster)
- Mouse wheel does zooming (+ and - too)
- Shift + left-clicking has debug menus if you use Testingcheats. Does nothing with the camera.
- Shift+ Right-clicking or middle-button appears to do nothing.