Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th May 2020 at 7:07 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Error messages coming up for Package Installer and the bodyshop: Super Collection
I got a new computer for my birthday. I figured installing the Sims 2, the bodyshop and the package installer would be straightforward like it is or was on El Captain. My new computer is a Mac OS Catalina 10.15 desktop computer. But when I tried to upload a package file, it came up with an error message. Saying "The Sims™ 2: Package Installer” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified." And underneath says "macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware."

I downloaded this and the bodyshop from Aspyr. I clicked on the question mark at the corner of the message and got this "macOS has many features that help protect your Mac and your personal information from malicious software, or malware. One common way malware is distributed is by embedding it in a harmless-looking app.
You can reduce this risk by using software only from reliable sources. The settings in Security & Privacy preferences allow you to specify the sources of software installed on your Mac."

So I went into Secruity and Privacy to unlock the package installer and bodyshop and it came up with this message;
"By opening this app, you will be overriding system security which can expose your computer and personal information to malware that may harm your Mac or compromise your privacy."

And now I'm worried. This new computer was expensive! I don't want to lose everything. It's too soon for that. I only got the computer two days ago. But to enjoy my game, I need downloads. I was hoping to download Disney character sims with amazing lookalike faces to what they look like in the films - for that I need the package installer. But I'm now torn.

Is Aspyr secretly hiding malware in those apps I downloaded? Is it safe to click open on the Security & Privacy preferences?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 18th May 2020 at 12:20 AM
It’s unlikely to be malware if you registered and downloaded it from the Aspyr site, though obviously nobody can guarantee that.

I’m not on Catalina, and my Aspyr login has stopped working so I can’t download Bodyshop and the Package Installer. So I can’t check to see whether either of them has in fact been updated to 64-bit applications that will run with Catalina. But it sounds like it’s the standard warning that you get from Gatekeeper for any application that’s not been downloaded from the Mac App Store or signed with a certificate to say that developer is trusted. It may be that Aspyr simply didn’t bother for such tiny programs, or it could be that it’s still the old 32-bit version that they created in 2014, when that signing requirement didn’t yet exist. If the latter, then they won’t work on Catalina at all as it's 64-bit only.

You can check by going to About This Mac in the Apple menu, then clicking on System Report. In the sidebar, select Software -> Applications. Find The Sims 2 Body Shop in the list, and check the version, obtained from and 64-bit columns (not sure if the last of those still exists, as I said, I don’t have a Catalina machine to check). The older copy of Bodyshop I have has version=1.2.3, obtained from=Identified Developer and 64-Bit=No. That won’t run on Catalina at all, but if your version number is newer it might.

Can’t tell you the version number for the Package Installer as I’ve never used the thing. On the rare occasions I need to open a Sims2Pack file I do it in Windows with Clean Installer and then copy it to my Mac.

Was it a fresh download that you did, or did you just install a copy you already had from putting it on your old machine?

And if you don’t want to risk putting those programs on your new machine, you could always do that on your old machine if you still have it, and then copy the .package files across to the new one after you’ve extracted what you want.
Test Subject
#3 Old 18th May 2020 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by muridae
The older copy of Bodyshop I have has version=1.2.3, obtained from=Identified Developer and 64-Bit=No. [...] Can’t tell you the version number for the Package Installer as I’ve never used the thing.

I have Catalina. The latest version of Body Shop and Package Installer (and the Super Collection itself) is 1.2.4, and the programs are 64-bit. The Super Collection has an identified developer, but Body Shop and Package Installer don't have one. My guess is that it was just an oversight on Aspyr's part, rather than anything malicious.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th May 2020 at 2:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by muridae
Was it a fresh download that you did, or did you just install a copy you already had from putting it on your old machine?

And if you don’t want to risk putting those programs on your new machine, you could always do that on your old machine if you still have it, and then copy the .package files across to the new one after you’ve extracted what you want.

It's a fresh download. Yeah, I ran into a problem on my old machine. It wouldn’t let me install the body shop or package installer on there either, because it had updated to 6.4 and I couldn’t use that version because my machine was too old. But before they updated it, I was able to download and use body shop and the package installer.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 19th May 2020 at 8:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MidnightRoses888
It's a fresh download. Yeah, I ran into a problem on my old machine. It wouldn’t let me install the body shop or package installer on there either, because it had updated to 6.4 and I couldn’t use that version because my machine was too old. But before they updated it, I was able to download and use body shop and the package installer.

The issue with Installing the New Bodyshop and Package Installer is just Apple trying to protect the clueless User. if you have downloaded whatever it is from a site that you know, in this case Aspyr's you can safely change your Settings to allow you to install whatever, just do that and change your settings back.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Dec 2020 at 5:50 PM
Default Hey all, so I got a solution to the error messages regarding recent Catalina shift
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
The issue with Installing the New Bodyshop and Package Installer is just Apple trying to protect the clueless User. if you have downloaded whatever it is from a site that you know, in this case Aspyr's you can safely change your Settings to allow you to install whatever, just do that and change your settings back.

Basically just follow these Apple Mac steps and then all of the Sims 2 Extras will work fine! https://support.apple.com/en-gb/gui...elp/mh40616/mac