Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 8:45 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
How can I "merge" save files?
Hello,
I have the NRaas Traveler mod, it is an amazing mod, it really helped me maintain my relationships while moving to a new town.

However, my save game has become so bloated that I can not move to another new town anymore (game crashes/freezes)

So, I was wondering, how can I "move" my relationship data and everything to a brand new save (a new save with the same family, i copied them to the library and everything)?

Thank you in advance!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 8:48 AM
I also tried NRaas Porter, but it gave me "Only one packed family was found, no need to unpack", can anybody please explain why? Sorry if its a stupid question btw.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 9:01 AM
Oh, Porter just port Sim families.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 3:33 PM
Just catching up here, but OP is receiving assistance from us at NRaas.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 3:34 PM
As far as I know, you can't merge saves. Traveling will bloat a game as more and more Sims and objects are added from each world. If one of the Nraas mods can help, I would love to know also, and maybe @Igazor knows something?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
Traveling will bloat a game as more and more Sims and objects are added from each world. If one of the Nraas mods can help, I would love to know also, and maybe @Igazor knows something?

With NRaas Traveler, Overwatch, and ErrorTrap in play, the individual world data stays contained in the individual nhd files and the single TravelDB file. Sure the entire game save grows in size after a while but with care, save cleaning, and maintenance, not necessarily to the point where things become unplayable. My long-running game has 16 NRaas Traveler connected worlds in it, my sims travel like maniacs, and each save instance is currently weighing in at around 2.3 GB. The key though is that only the currently being simulated world among the group is ever loaded into RAM so the rest is just data that comes along for the ride and is there only if needed. Certainly none of my individual world nhd files within the save are that large as I take action if they ever go above 350 MB or so.

The other key is don't let more and more sims get added to each world without any being removed. Population control is important to keep an eye on.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 12th Aug 2022 at 4:20 PM
@Igazor, population control is probably the biggest issue. I have the mods mentioned, and several more... Still, I can clean saves, and end up over 400 MB, and things slow to a grind, after enough travel.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 13th Aug 2022 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
When you say 400 MB, are you saying the whole save folder is 400MB? Or you are referring to one individual NHD? As a global player, my world is connected to ... maybe a dozen off world including university and future world, the homeworld NHD is typically under 100MB after cleaning and can bloat to 250MB, which is when I would give it a good clean.

Not to hijack this thread, as it was about trying to merge saves, but... After cleaning, my biggest current save is 427 MB total, that includes 5 travel worlds and my homeworld (Moonlight Falls), which I understand to have it's own issues. I also delete the individual export packages... NOT TravelDB, when cleaning. Load time has never been the issue. Longest may be 10 mins, with HDD. My situation may be somewhat unique from most, regarding CC. Of the 7.22 GB in my mods folder, nearly 1.7 GB is loose test packages that I am working on and haven't made a decision whether to ever upload, continue working on, or scrap. A few MB of stuff I downloaded. Was close to 9 GB mods folder, but I cleaned up a couple months ago. Then there's the 3 GB of hair packages, merged into 3 packages. Might be more.

Do not use dereferencing, as I read (probably here) that it can cause some problem, not sure if it was with KW or no. Most of the KW warnings about Nraas mods are easy enough to work around and keep Nraas.

As for KW, I'm the same LadySmoks once on LL and now NSFW, so I am ungodly familiar with the angsts of that mod. Build 409 is not too bad. I do not use half of the "features" anyway.

Reality is that my style of play is simply not good, and counter to most of your suggestions. Aside from general population control (I use Nraas MC total annihilation to remove ungreeted Sims and strays, and Register to limit NPC's), my fun is meet and greet, make friends and customize every other Sim in every world (dress in my test garments). More than 200 saved Sims! Basically got bored with WA after so many years, and have a bunch of download worlds, with a few favorites.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 14th Aug 2022 at 3:41 PM
So that is the whole "folder" with the NHD file of all the other worlds? If that is the case, that's quite normal. My current save folder with all the export packages and NHDs is 1.37GB. As Igazor detailed, this won't actually affect the game performance b/c in all those files, only the world you are currently playing ever gets loaded. In fact, since I run my user folder on a limited RAMdisk, I don't load the whole folder. I created a 2nd save folder with only my homeworld NHD, export, and traveldb. If I decide to travel somewhere, I simply copy the destination world NHD and export into this folder before I load the game. Upon returning home, I update the main 1.37GB save with my current save and then delete the destination files again.

I would suggest not deleting any of the export packages though, at best they desync the global aging in those various worlds, at worst it can create corruption.

Yeah I know who you are, I love your work. I read what happened on LL, what a drama. :D

Though I don't have as much CCs in my game, but in theory they shouldn't really affect game performance if the CCs are put on a SSD or RAMdisk. The random short read burst on SSD and especially RAMdisk is super fast compare to HDD. In HDD, yes that would actually cause exponential lag and performance decrease. This is compensated by merging packages, though what are the limitations I do not know as I've never really tried it.

Well, I really do wish there was some way I could help you improve your game performance. All I can really suggest is if there is corruption, don't be afraid to start anew. Also if you haven't tried unparking your cores or taking advantage of RAMdisk, I would give it a try.

----

On the topic of the OP for any reader:

I think the information given here is related to the OP question concerning traveling, merging family trees etc... and what to expect.

I have never seen a save folder more than 500 MB before becoming unplayable. As said, I have HDD. I hate the graphics on the laptop that is SSD. I had it look good, but I think MS hit me with an update when I wasn't looking. I rarely take the game laptop online. I'm typing on a cheap Lenovo travel laptop now. ))) But, load time isn't an issue... 5 mins normal and 10 mins max on any save. I did the unpark thing a while ago. May have helped. Also running LD's smooth patch and Simler's mod. Everything helps, and as they tell on the pages, not a cure all... but help. My machine specs can easily handle TS3. Been thru that a long time ago with min specs, and well above them.

The litterally hundreds of packages can be an issue for HDD, but usually only load times, which again, aren't really a problem. Occasional CTD and the analyzer says memory issue, but the Sims config settings, I manually changed to 4 GB for every EP and SP, not just for The Sims 3. OY! I'm all disk with super patch. If the saves are getting corrupted, I have no clue what is causing it.

And thanks... Still making stuff, but lazy about ever uploading. Still haven't uploaded all of my old stuff to NSFW, and have about 20 or more new packages in test.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 15th Aug 2022 at 1:20 AM
Are you talking about the LAA? That is no longer necessary after one of the patches. However, you can change the size of the simscompositorcache and compositorcache files, it might help a bit. EA standard world only sets one of them to like 125MB. But custom worlds should already be 500MB each. If your homeworld is EA world, it is likely the cache is only 125MB, you can manually set it to 500MB.

And if you have enough RAM, you can put both cache files and thumbnails on a RAMdisk, which is super helpful.

Again, this is old stuff, so you may already have looked over it. But in case you haven't.

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=548125

Do not know what "LAA" is. The 2 caches were also done, but now not sure if done for all EP's and Sp's. I will have to take a longer look at that link. Thanks.