Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Job Seeking Noticeboard (Two-Tile) - Including Pet Jobs

by MogHughson Posted 22nd Oct 2008 at 3:14 PM - Updated 15th Jun 2010 at 11:31 AM by MogHughson : More languages

284 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 253 Feedback Posts, 30 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 12
Field Researcher
#126 Old 7th Nov 2008 at 5:26 AM
I had the problem where it dropped from my que but I left it in my game and tried it again later and now it works :S
Lab Assistant
#127 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 12:42 PM
OOOOOMMMMMGGGGG!!!!!!!!! this is sooooo cool! Thanks for shareing! Is this some kind of hack? Just wondering.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#128 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PrettyKitty23
Is this some kind of hack? Just wondering.

Hi there PrettyKitty23 - this is not a global hack - it is a new object that provides a menu to select all jobs. It will not have any affect on your game unless you actually use the object. It doesn't change any other job offering objects (i.e. the newspaper or the computer) but simply provides a new way of getting a job that doesn't involve waiting for days and days for a job you want to show up in the paper.

Cheers
Mog
Test Subject
#129 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 7:07 PM
This is a great ideal and so needed. Thank you.

MsAngelK
Lab Assistant
#130 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 2:06 AM
Man, this is probably the most useful creation I will ever use! Now I don't have to waste several days getting more and more into debt to find a job that pays well (on the sims 2) thanks!

Lazing around is what muttonchop does best..
Test Subject
#131 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 3:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by starfleetcadet
Finally! I was hoping someone would make something like this! Thank you!

Me too~ THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!
Eminence Grise
#132 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 10:15 PM
I'd like to join the chorus of thanks This is awesome, my only regret is that I didn't get it months ago!
#133 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 4:24 AM
It didn`t exist "months ago"!

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Test Subject
#134 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 4:39 AM
THANK YOU!! This game just has too many job options. My sim was only 3 days of turing into an elder before the career of his aspiration came up. Now I can choose whichever path I want. Nice work!
Lab Assistant
#135 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 9:31 PM
Thanks you so much for this, It's going to be a great help in my game!

THANKS HEAPS

Love The Sims Always
The ModFather
retired moderator
#136 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 1:15 AM
Downloaded the updated version! BTW, why leaving the old version online? if you are concerned about losing the download count, then don't worry: uploading a file with the exact same name as the old one automatically replaces the old one, keeping the download count.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#137 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 9:09 PM
I *really* appreciate this job notice board. I have the updated one and I've had Sims choose jobs with no problem. My Sim walked to work the first day in a normal fashion (well, he walked because I had him building skills for a promotion, and he missed the carpool!).
It looks wonderful on community lots with the other EAXis bulletin boards. I've got them in a Post Office and launderette. Thanks!
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#138 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
BTW, why leaving the old version online?

Only leaving it there for this week - for the reason that I am away from my computer that has SimPE installed, and if I made some big error, I wouldn't be able to fix it nor would I be able to reinstate the original as a short term fix. As soon as I am back home at the weekend, I plan to delete it.
#139 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 5:40 PM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 22nd Nov 2008 at 9:09 PM. Reason: Added link.
Pet Career
Quote: Originally posted by MogHughson
I may add Pet Jobs to a later version, although the problem does not exist for Pet Jobs as there are only three tracks in the game and so they are always all in the paper. If there are lots of Pet Career Mods, then maybe I will come back to it.
I found a Pet Career. If you like, I`ll come back and edit this post with links to other Pet Careers as I find them. You can then use this as a guage to determine if adding the Pet Career option is worth-while. If you do, might I suggest a seperate object that offers only Pet Careers? [By the way, I do not have Pets yet; I`m just trying to be helpful. ]

Circus Career for Pets!
Espionage Career for Pets

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#140 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 9:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
I found a Pet Career. If you like, I`ll come back and edit this post with links to other Pet Careers as I find them. You can then use this as a guage to determine if adding the Pet Career option is worth-while. If you do, might I suggest a seperate object that offers only Pet Careers? [By the way, I do not have Pets yet; I`m just trying to be helpful. ]

Hi GeneralOperationsDirector,

Yes, I looked at little while back after posting the initial version of the object, and there were three pets career mods that I saw. I do have a version of the object mostly working with pets jobs as well but decided I would put up the basic one first and see how it fared. It was my first so I wanted a little feedback before fighting with the pets jobs. They just weren't quite as straightforward.

When you suggest a separate object, is that because you don't have Pets, or for some other reason. I would make a version of this object with Pets careers still be base game compatible and only offer the Pets Jobs as a menu option at all if the Pets EP was installed. Maybe you had another reason for suggesting that though?

Cheers
Mog
#141 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 2:54 AM
It looks like it`s faring fairly well. Congratulations! Your very first upload was featured right quickly!

I know that it is possible to make objects that behave differently depending upon which expansions are available, and that this is both better [for us] and more difficult [for you] than making different versions of the object for different environments. This was not what I had in mind, however. Rather, I was thinking of one job board for people only, and another for pets only, that could be placed seperately. Put the people-jobs version where people would be expected to go looking for work, say, like a Job Center, and the animal-jobs version where people would be expected to take their animals, like, say, the vet, or a pet club. People who want both in one place could easily place both in the same lot; some people already place multiple copies of this version in a single lot.

Just a thought.

Speaking of thoughts, do you know if an object`s BHAVs can tell which recolor an object is displaying? If so, and you don`t mind some extra work, perhaps you could key which jobs show by which recolor is chosen? Nah, probably can`t.

Do you want me to collect Pet Career threads?

An additional thought: Could you, ie, do you have the ability, to make it offer only people jobs to people sims, and offer only pet jobs to pet sims? IE, require the pet to be present, and selected, to offer pet jobs? If so, could you further restrict the board to offering cat jobs to cats, and dog jobs to dogs, or doesn`t Pets work that way?

Mad Poster
#142 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 6:45 AM
I love this! I especally appreciate the option to have the Simlish font.

I want to use this in my historical hoods and I was wondering if a more rustic/wood-looking recolour would be possible? I'll still use it as is, but it would blend in much better if it weren't so blue and rounded. lol
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#143 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 3:04 PM
Do you know if an object`s BHAVs can tell which recolor an object is displaying? If so, and you don`t mind some extra work, perhaps you could key which jobs show by which recolor is chosen?

I believe it may be possible to tell which recolor is chosen - certainly I know you can change the texture being applied to an object from within the code so I assume it's not a big jump from there to knowing which texture is currenly being used. Given that this could be done, how would you choose which jobs would go with which texture? i.e. How would you categorise them?

Do you want me to collect Pet Career threads?

If you want to - but unless there are more than three - I think that's it for now.

An additional thought: Could you, ie, do you have the ability, to make it offer only people jobs to people sims, and offer only pet jobs to pet sims? IE, require the pet to be present, and selected, to offer pet jobs? If so, could you further restrict the board to offering cat jobs to cats, and dog jobs to dogs, or doesn`t Pets work that way?

That's exactly how the half-finished version I have already works. You have to take your pet with you when you go to get it a job (otherwise there is no way to work out what pets you have - Pets are linked to their household but not the other way around) and it can only offer people jobs to people (in fact it can only offer teen/elder jobs to teens and elders; and can only offer adult jobs to adults - even in the current version) and it only offers pet jobs to pets and only if they are there on the lot with you at the time. I don't believe there is a distinction between cat and dog jobs in the Pets EP - they are all just Pet jobs. Personally, as a cat-lover rather than a dog-lover - I can't imagine a Cat ever doing what it's told to, to do a job in real life anyway

Cheers
Mog
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#144 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 3:08 PM Last edited by MogHughson : 9th Aug 2009 at 7:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
I want to use this in my historical hoods and I was wondering if a more rustic/wood-looking recolour would be possible? I'll still use it as is, but it would blend in much better if it weren't so blue and rounded. lol

Certainly it would be possible for me (or indeed anyone else who wants to) to recolor this to be perhaps wood coloured/grained frame and a rattan background with old faded ragged bits of paper instead of nice square index cards? That the sort of thing you were thinking of?

It would still be rounded at the corner because the mesh is shaped that way, but I'm sure a good recolor would make that much less obvious for a historical hood?

Cheers
Mog

EDIT: And now there is one here
#145 Old 14th Nov 2008 at 6:22 AM
I believe it may be possible to tell which recolor is chosen - certainly I know you can change the texture being applied to an object from within the code so I assume it's not a big jump from there to knowing which texture is currenly being used. Given that this could be done, how would you choose which jobs would go with which texture? i.e. How would you categorise them?
I was thinking that, if you could tell which recolor was being used, you could use that to make a single object in the catalog that would, depending upon which recolor was chosen, offer only pet jobs, or only people jobs [or for that matter, some recolors that offer any jobs]. That way, we could have people-only boards in game, and pets-only boards in-game, [and anybody boards in game,] and still only have one object in the catalog.
If you want to - but unless there are more than three - I think that's it for now.
Hokay; if I encounter any more, I`ll add them to the other post where I already have one, and if and when my list gets long enough, you can do whatever you want to about it. `K?
That's exactly how the half-finished version I have already works. [....]
I don't believe there is a distinction between cat and dog jobs in the Pets EP - they are all just Pet jobs. Personally, as a cat-lover rather than a dog-lover - I can't imagine a Cat ever doing what it's told to, to do a job in real life anyway
Cats can be trained. You just gotta know how. [I don`t.] I`ve seen it on non-fiction TV.
Cheers
Mog

Inventor
#146 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 10:51 PM
Thanks I have always used the Insimenator to get the job I wanted but I will DL this because it's more realistic. Since I only use Insim for the base jobs anyway not to jump up the career ladder this will be perfect.
Lab Assistant
#147 Old 24th Nov 2008 at 7:48 AM
I love this object! Thanks so much.
Lab Assistant
#148 Old 24th Nov 2008 at 6:47 PM Last edited by SIMale : 28th Dec 2008 at 8:06 AM.
MogHughson, to get in contact with me you need to do it at http://www.insimenator.org/

SIMale the Simlish linguist. Simlish made easy: Version 1 & 2 and Version 3 & Comic (Now only available at IS)
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#149 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMale
MogHughson, to get in contact with me you need to do it at http://www.insimenator.net/

I don't have an ID on there - was only trying to find out where to point folks for the Simlish font now that you have deleted the thread I was referencing in this object. If there is a new thread I can reference to encourage people to use the font I will happily update my thread. Perhaps instead of deleting the thread you could remove all its content and just put a link to wherever it is now - save all the people who have referenced your thread (as you request them to do) updating their posts?

P.S. Your mail box is full.
#150 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 5:39 AM
I`ve found a link on mts2 to another site that hosts what is apparently the same font. Unfortunately, I do not have a current reference to where that link is, nor to where it points. If I happen to find it again, I`ll try to remember to post it here.

Page 6 of 12