Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 4:44 AM
Default Questions about making custom dormies.
I already downloaded all the norespawn/noregen mods needed, Sim Blender, Mootilda's Brainania uni clean subhood(hopefully), and made a couple of young adult to convert into townies.

Will these custom sims I townified become dormies for the Uni subhood, or just stray townies and the game will generate its rather ugly dormies?
And if they do become dormies, will they spawn back with CCs?

And how does nodormieregen works anyway? Does it stop the maxis dormies from generating or just keeping the same dormies away?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 5:55 AM Last edited by Vladora : 15th Oct 2013 at 6:13 AM.
I believe if you make YA Sims and convert them to townie on a lot located in the university subhood, they will become dormies. Tarlia's clean university hoods don't contain any dormies (they do have the pre-mades, you can find empty templates with no Sims at all for University on MATY), and I don't think Mootitlda's does either. Nodormieregen prevents more dormies from being created after the existing dormies move out/grow up/die, it won't prevent them from being created in the first place like a clean or empty neighborhood template will.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 6:44 AM
So if I load Brainania already, the premade dormies already been made? Is it already too late for me to townifie any sims to become dormies on a certain dorm(not lot)?
I actually mean to get rid of the ugly premade dormies, and replace them with the custom sims.
Now, is it even possible to do that with just townifying? Or some more works with SimPE?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 7:14 AM Last edited by Vladora : 15th Oct 2013 at 7:27 AM.
No, there are no Sims at all in Brainania, so you don't have to worry about getting rid of any. A dorm is a university lot, so you can generate or create dormies there, no problem.

Tested this out in game:

1. Made Dan Dormie in the university CAS. This university has no dormies.
2. Moved him into an empty dorm. Used the Simlogical Teleporter Plus > Make me a Townie on Dan Dormie. Then used >Clear Off. Saved, and exited the dorm.
3. Moved a playable Sim into the dorm.
4. Dan Dormie, the only existing dormie, eventually comes into the dorm and claims a room. So he appears to be functioning correctly.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 7:37 AM
Oh thank you very much! And one more thing, will they share the same surname if eg. I bring two Dormies in the lot and townify them, will they still keep the household surname or use their own name instead?

And oh, how many sims should I townifie in each subhood/dorms?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 8:30 AM
No problem! And I shouldn't think they would, but you may want to test it out if you're concerned. How many townies you make is up to you, I don't think there's any problem with having too few, unless you want a secret society. But I don't know how the game chooses or creates secret society members.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 9:01 AM
It's alright. At least there are no more ugly dormies to live with. Thanks again
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 9:35 AM
It's pretty easy to catch townies and change their appearance without having to make your own. I use Merola's Mind Control Mirror http://modthesims.info/d/33870 and Christianlov's clothing rack http://modthesims.info/d/284411.

The mirror lets you temporarily select non playables and the rack allows you to buy new clothing and set their outfits and also to do plastic surgery, change hair etc.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 7:40 PM
With regard to avoiding default dormies, y'all are forgetting the crucial point that the game will automatically generate the same standard dormies in every uni 'hood you have, unless you have empty templates and nodormieregen installed.
Test Subject
#10 Old 15th Mar 2021 at 6:47 PM
I'm having a problem where CJ's TownieApartmentResiedents mod is pulling dormies to become neighbours, roughly in order of their creation. I've got over 30 custom dormies (including the SS ones), and am wondering if I remove the no dormie regen mod will more dormies be generated? I've got all the clean and empty hood templates installed, and 11 SS so I'm at least sure I can get rid of that regen mod, right?! My dormies will never leave the uni hood btw
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Mar 2021 at 12:40 AM
Brainania made 8 dormies for me but this was before I had clean templates. If you use default face templates you can make sure the game doesn't create ugly townies.

Shoot, sorry didn't see this had been necroed.

@Autolykos you need to make your own thread.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~