Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#551 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 7:51 PM
@gummilutt Just confirming what Cat said. One of the two judges' comments were pasted over the wrong spot. Wishing you all the best. Health problems are terrible.

Glad to know I still have a week left. Much like gummi, I've had a terrible summer with my Crohn, and recent days have been quite scary. Luckily, analysis show that I'm apparently improving. I was really close to having to be operated. I hope from now on things will be better.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#552 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 8:03 PM
to defend meself, all units were tested by 4 sims+1 roomie and everything worked well - even the bathroom sharing uvu

just gotta use the right fences and they wouldnt be bothered seeing each other use the bathroom lmao

it's the bffs apartment! the bathrooms strenthen their friendships!! hahaha

thanks for the scores judges uvu

round 4 would be more...."generic"
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#553 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 10:34 PM
Thanks Catherine, I've fixed the post and added Judge 1's comments correctly. And thanks for well wishes. I hope the universe listens, could do with a break. I'm sorry things have been rough for you too Yvelotic. Crohns is no fun at all :/

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#554 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 11:27 PM
Wow, 3.5 for creativity. Harsh. And minus a point for playability for some reason. I give up.
I like the idea of jo's contest for people who have never come in the top three cos I never will, haha.
Alchemist
#555 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 4:12 AM
It feels a little weird to click the love button, so mental hugs @yavannatw! I do agree that 3.5 seems harsh. Personally, I see lots of creativity and unique design features, from the way you used diagonals, creating patios in the corner and how you laid out that dining table, to the way you laid out the apartments and how all the units connected together, with room for common space, to the way you used the back rows of the lot--normally dead space--to create a picturesque mini courtyard, perfect for storytellers. So, pat yourself on the back! Especially considering the other two judges gave you full points!

That said, I'm not really trying to pick apart the scores, rankings, and comments (because judging is hard!) or start a complaint rant (again, because judging is hard!); I'm just trying to say that everything is subjective. It's tough, but I'm learning not to take scores too literally.

I don't know what guidelines judges use for build contests, specifically, but generally, each judge is different--some are going to rank certain features higher or lower than others; they're going to notice different things about the same picture; they might even score differently, with one judge starting everyone at full marks and deducting points for each "missed opportunity" (I don't really want to say error in a build contest ) and another judge could start everyone at zero and give points for each outstanding feature. Numbers are subjective here, too. A "3" could potentially mean different things to different judges and each judge could also have varying ideas of what makes, or keeps an entry from, a 5. Finally, this is a contest and there does have to be a winner. Looking at the entries, I'd say that a lot of us are around the same skill level--which means that entries can be harder to rank and distinguish from each other. Sometimes, it could also mean that some entries will have to be rated a little lower to give other entries a higher score--some judges might score not only on how well a task/category was completed/achieved, but also score according to how well the task was done in relation to the other entries.

For example, never forget Michelle Kwan and how she was robbed of the silver medal for figure skating in 2002! Apparently, the internet doesn't seem to remember it this way, but my 13 year old self insists that this is how it happened. Anyway, it was time for everyone's last turns and, admittedly, Sarah Huges had the skate of her life, completing an impressive 7 triple jumps, a feat no one had ever done before. Clearly she deserved the gold medal as her skate program was the best. But she was behind in scores, having not done well on previous turns. In fact, I don't think anyone else even had a "clean" program that round, so many had fallen or made one mistake or the other. Kwan, who had had the lead, skated after Hughes and she too, made a mistake and fell during this last turn, and although her overall performance was deserving of second place (imho), she was scored very low on this last turn so that Hughes could come from behind and take first place. So, yeah, sometimes it's not really about you, per say, but the overall big picture. Which probably doesn't make you feel much better, now that I think about it, but I tried!

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#556 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 4:32 AM
um~ question
why is my score on the table 73.5 when gummi's post https://modthesims.info/showthread....437#post5439437 is 77.5?
Alchemist
#557 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 5:03 AM
@kanzen, I don't think the R3 scores are in the table. I was going to post that a lot of the scores seem to be off, but then I realized the scores should be after the round--and those boxes are empty! Plus:

Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Will update main post score board when I can, too tired for it now will just end up breaking the formatting.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Mad Poster
#558 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 8:19 AM
Yeah, we can't expect Gummi to do math when she's sick. It could set her back for days.

As for the remarks on mine - yes, I did mean to continue the exterior paving inside. It's not as common as it once was, and some of the places I've seen it done have, alas, been demolished, but it's a little trick for drawing people in that some businesses and apartments started to use when expanses of glass started being an architectural feature, and it's a very Nova Colonia thing to do. So are the masks as "gargoyles" (we have similar ones here in San Antonio, but they aren't painted), which I'm glad somebody liked. Pleased not to get dinged on the landscaping for once! I placed the outdoor lights with night toggled on to make sure the light was sufficient; but you don't want it too bright or you'll see more than you want to of what Spotlight Harry is doing in the hot tub with his guest du jour. How much light is necessary is another subjective thing.

Since the belted stucco in bright colors is something I established early in conceiving Nova Colonia as a distinctive trend in the architecture, I'll just have to accept that nobody but me likes it and swallow the points. As for my "mish-mash" decorating - I can't see it. Honestly. Those apartments look cohesive to me; far more cohesive than anyplace I've ever lived, let me tell you! I used collection folders and everything. So that's a basic difference of experience and outlook between me and one judge that I expect will hit me in the last round too, and oh, well. It's been fun, as well as work, and I've got some more variety in my apartments now, and that's all I was aiming for.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#559 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 1:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@kanzen, I don't think the R3 scores are in the table. I was going to post that a lot of the scores seem to be off, but then I realized the scores should be after the round--and those boxes are empty! Plus:

ah! I misread the table! thank you for the info Phantom
Instructor
#560 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 2:12 PM Last edited by Yvelotic2001 : 30th Aug 2018 at 2:53 PM.
Judge 1 - Yes, I did forget the fire alarm, somehow. At least I can't see it in the floor plan, which I guess, even if it is hidden somewhere, isn't your fault for thinking it isn't there. I haven't actually checked the lot ingame for that, though. And yes, there are trash compactors on every level. That was actually one of the things I learned when building my entry for Round 2. Trash compactors on every level or prepare for never ending stomping from the landidiotlord.
Judge 2 - I understand that it makes sense to have the same, or very similar, floorplan in each unit. But since each unit is designed with different occupants in mind, the floorplan had to be different. The must visible case is the Eart Unit, being a 3 bedroomd apartment. Still, I think I did a fairly good job trying to keep floorplans similar. Except for the Earth Unit, for reasons stated above, the kitchen and bathroom are all in the same place. And the Sea and Light Units actually have the same floorplan. The Rose Unit only differs by not having the second bedroom (the one at the back of the unit) and having the other bedroom bigger instead, the rest of the layout is the same.
Judge 3 - 23.5 seems harsh for "Very iunique build, love the ouside look! Hudge lobby area with lots of seating. Only one bathroom , even in the 3 bedroom unit, maybe one half bath would of made the bathroom traffic easyer." I would appreciate it if you could take the time to explain better what you felt was good and what I could improve. Or, as Steven Keaton would say, "Can you... expand...? on that?"

EDIT: Judge 2. There isn't really any particular reason for the hedges other than being a design feature I wanted to have from the start. I love indoor plants and with the use of greenhouse walls, I felt llike hedges would be perfect to both give privacy and to pretty up the place.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#561 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 3:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
Wow, 3.5 for creativity. Harsh. And minus a point for playability for some reason. I give up.

As did I. The judges appear to have favorite contestants, and are also favoring specific build styles and style of playing.
Space Pony
#562 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 7:37 PM
@Yvelotic2001 , I apologize my lack of proper comments, it was not good time for me irl, I even talked with gummmi, if she wants take over as an emergency judge, but she was ill and I did not want to make her to do it.
But, I did looked my original notes to reply you (old fashioned pen and paper, and in my own language) , and seems that in sheet I have docked 0,5 point from you twice in playability.
Originally I ment to take 0,5 from deco ( I think the lobby/common area would of needed something else than so many chairs with lots of empty space) and 0,5 from playability (Only one toilet in group home).
I will ask gummi to give you the 0,5 back.

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Instructor
#563 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kukamuukaanmuka
@Yvelotic2001 , I apologize my lack of proper comments, it was not good time for me irl, I even talked with gummmi, if she wants take over as an emergency judge, but she was ill and I did not want to make her to do it.
But, I did looked my original notes to reply you (old fashioned pen and paper, and in my own language) , and seems that in sheet I have docked 0,5 point from you twice in playability.
Originally I ment to take 0,5 from deco ( I think the lobby/common area would of needed something else than so many chairs with lots of empty space) and 0,5 from playability (Only one toilet in group home).
I will ask gummi to give you the 0,5 back.

Thanks for explaining. I know real life gets bad way more times thank we all would like, so don't worry too much about that, I think we all understand Thank you for that extra .5

Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#564 Old 31st Aug 2018 at 4:54 PM
Quote:
Judge 1: Great curb appeal, Karen! I like your cute and cozy pool area. I like the size of your rooms and the layout of the apartments. Thank you for the decorated balconies, I just wish they had some lighting for evening. I'm happy to see more phones included! Great apartment coordination and room sizes. I find the little rooms by the stairs to be such cute additions to the lot - almost like a maintenance staff room. Very cool that you left them a car to work on, and ultimately drive.
I'm a little confused by my score for 'creativity' here as according to the comment by Judge 1 they loved it! So why only 4 points?

Quote:
Judge 2: Another modern style build from you with a bright pop of color - blue, this time. You are on a roll here Great job! I think you’ll find that the low fence you used will cut off access to the mailbox - I didn’t deduct for it, but please check it to be sure. I love all the balconies - they are everywhere! But, I think you maybe went a bit overboard with the trash chutes - I see they are everywhere too. LOL! I do love that you included a sink for the outdoor ”kitchen” - the landlord should be able to throw some terrific parties out there! Do the oven mits hung on the oven doors block access? It looks nice, but I’ve never tried it… Great job on this build. Thank you!
The trash chutes on the ground floor are to simulate access points for the refuse collectors to collect from

Quote:
Host bonus: Maximum number of screenshots exceeded.
I find the amount of images confusing. In my opinion it's easier to just have a grand total of images required. I added extra floorplan screenshots to aid the judges, didn't realise they were going to count in my total amount of screenshots allowed!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#565 Old 31st Aug 2018 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
I like the idea of jo's contest for people who have never come in the top three cos I never will, haha.

This is one reason (there are others, and this is not a major reason, but it is a reason .... personal issues have been the main one) why I've been leaning more toward non-judging challenges lately, such as going as a playalong in gdayar's contest and giving things a shot in SneakyWIngPhoenix's building challenge. I don't only enter lots ... I put them in my hoods and play the crap out of them for at least a couple of days before posting entries, so I KNOW they're playable. Really! I still play the ones that were docked, and they work fine. Creativity ... OK. I would give you that. But not playability!

There is little merit for me to make a lot where Sims stomp and stomp because after all the effort I go through I make these sonofaguns, I put them in my own game as is. That is my first consideration. If I don't want them or can't use them in there, why would I show them here, unless it's strictly a photography contest? (Those are somewhat different ... object arrangements are key.) When a judge docked me points for playability, I wanted to post several lengthy videos of my testing sessions, but even those might not prove my point.

I wish there was some way we could politely prove lots are playable, but I guess it would be difficult to do. Or am I missing the definition for contest purposes? The latter is very likely! It's not as if I've misunderstood stuff before. Anyway, yavannatw, I feel for you! And by the way, ALL apartments here have been great, and I do not envy the judges. It must be a tough job on their end, and I fully admit I'd make a lousy judge because unless a contestant made a lot so obviously bad that even a newbie Sims 2 player would cringe, I'd be giving too many fours and fives. So this is not a critique of judges.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#566 Old 31st Aug 2018 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I wish there was some way we could politely prove lots are playable, but I guess it would be difficult to do? Or am I missing the definition for contest purposes? The latter is very likely! Anyway, yavannatw, I feel for you!

As I said, they are scoring based on their own style of play. There is more than one way a lot can be playable, and discounting points because it is not your style of play isn't fair judging. Peni's lot had a comment that the decorating was a mish-mash, while I think it was all cohesive in style/colors. Quite nice considering it's all Maxis content.
Instructor
#567 Old 31st Aug 2018 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
As I said, they are scoring based on their own style of play. There is more than one way a lot can be playable, and discounting points because it is not your style of play isn't fair judging. Peni's lot had a comment that the decorating was a mish-mash, while I think it was all cohesive in style/colors. Quite nice considering it's all Maxis content.

I will write a long comment regarding this later today or tomorrow. I was saving it for the post-contest feedback, but since it was brought up, I will say it now. I totally agree with you, Lunie.

Alchemist
#568 Old 31st Aug 2018 at 9:16 PM
That was kinda what I was getting at with the 'don't read too much into the points' thing. Believe me, there have times I've been very disappointed by a score, in this contest and in another, and wanted to argue on my behalf or give up entirely. But again, I'm realizing that each entry, my own included, is not just about, and does not equate to, a literal score. And I know that that sounds weird, saying that contests are not about scores. Because of course they are. And yet, of course they're not.

Let's take the playability category, for example, since it's been brought up. To me it is not a black and white issue of is the lot playable--I don't want to speak for the judges, but if I was judging, I couldn't evaluate on that alone. Otherwise, yeah, everyone would get full marks and get the same scores. It's also about did you make the best use of space and materials--was there something that could've been done better to make the entry worth a 5, an outstanding, top rated entry, and how well the entry executed the contestant's vision, or how well the entry achieved the look/feel/aesthetic/etc. being attempted while keeping in mind sim and player needs.

So sure, an entry might be functional but if there was a better way to execute something, if there was another way to design something or make the entry go beyond functional, etc., it makes sense that a judge would call that out and make notes accordingly--essentially 'this was good, but, it could've been better, etc.' Plus again, we have to consider the other entries--not just how well something is to something else (as in if this entry is a 5, how do the others compare, etc.) but also the different difficulties attempted. Points might be weighted differently depending on the entry. So yeah, an entry might be good, but if another entry was good but attempted something a bit more complicated, I would expect that first entry to not be scored as high.

In this particular contest, after reading the judging comments, I can tell that all the judges have been taking great care not to pick on certain things/people or criticize too much; instead they have been using their comments to focus on mentioning the positive aspects of each build. I appreciate that, because we all share the same hobby and we all love this game and the contest is supposed to be about having fun, learning some new build tips, and maybe getting some new lots for our games. It just isn't really helpful as a contestant, because you're left wondering why your entry didn't score higher, if all the feedback is positive and I think that's what the general feeling seems to be right now. But I don't think anyone really wants true critiques, either. People always say they want honest feedback, but get very hurt when it's given and/or try to argue. No one wants a contest thread to devolve into that. So, this is why you have to read all of the comments, for all the entries; once you do that, you'll start to see what gets the top marks and what keeps entries from a 5 in each category.

I don't think it's just that the judges prefer a certain build style--I reserve those preferences as that extra distinction between 4.5 and 5, or maybe even 4 to 5. As for a preference for a certain style of play, maybe so, but then, we can only judge based on our own experiences, no? After reading the judges' comments from all the rounds, it's clear that they are looking at/for specific things--good use of space, good landscaping, clear aesthetics, and strong cohesion--and that they are giving the higher points to those entries that also have some unique design or "creative" elements, great attention to detail, and a clear vision of the type of residents that live in the build.

Finally, I'd like to point out that, unless the math was off somewhere, all of the entries for the last two rounds scored above 70 out of the possible 80 points. That means everyone got a B+ or higher. We'd all be on the honor roll. But we're not in school, we're in a ranked competition and there has to be a winner. As I said earlier, our levels of skill seem to be comparable and all of our entries have been really good. The competition is steep and fierce. Thus, we are going to feel the deductions more. Little "mistakes," nitpicks, and "missed opportunities" might hold more weight, and be more costly, in order to distinguish entries from each other. This doesn't mean we aren't doing great work--and we are--it just means that the judges feel someone else executed their vision a bit better.

Mad Poster
#569 Old 31st Aug 2018 at 10:05 PM
*mash* *mash *mash* Well said, Phantomknight - I mashed the 'agree' 'helpful and 'love' buttons a gazillion times for that. Thank YOU!
(Especially the last paragraph - really well said!)

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#570 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 12:30 AM
Yeah, I'm a back runner and I'm still getting nice high marks. Either the judges are being generous or we're all really good at this.

Must be the second. Yeah, that makes sense.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#571 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 12:07 PM
Phantomnight, THANK YOU for that post. Everything you said is true and I couldn't agree more. :lovestruc
Field Researcher
#572 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 7:37 PM
Default ROUND 4: I can't remember what this round's called...
Okay! Round 4!

Shipping containers!

There are six units; the two front buildings and back right are each one apartment, the back left has three apartments stacked on top of each other (with the top apartment, 2c, being spread over two floors. Apartments 1, 2c, 3 and 4 all have private roof terraces, 2a and 2b have some personal items outside their front doors, but it's techinally common areas.

Apartments 1 and 2a are intended for single sims/couples. 2b is for a couple/single parent and a teenager. 2c is for a couple, child and toddler. 3 is for a couple, teen, two children and a toddler, and 4 is for a couple and toddler.

(Note to Gummi re lot size - I believe it's 5x4, but it had to be for this style to work, with the separate stacks of shipping containers. If you don't agree, I'll happily lose the point because I like it!)

I think I got the number of pictures right - 39 overall, which is 24 for the apartments + 8 structure shots (mostly repurposed for the bigger apartments) + 5 floor plans (4 levels, and ground level. I took more floor plan shots, but they came out of those allowed for apartments) + front, back and rent. I think that actually adds up to 40, and I only have 39, so that's okay!

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Forum Resident
#573 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 9:32 AM Last edited by stitching : 4th Sep 2018 at 11:42 AM.
Round 4

Garden Terraces: a family friendly apartment building

This building has 6 units, a common pool, playground, workout and wellness area, two patio areas (one for adults to socialize, one for hobbies), parking garage (2 units have garages and the rest is deco), a hangout area for teens and up, and a daycare/child's club area. There are also lots of garden areas and a few fountains, inside and out. There is a garbage chute beside the elevator on all floors.

Edited to include location of unit gabage cans/trash compactors.
Alchemist
#574 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 9:36 AM Last edited by Phantomknight : 5th Sep 2018 at 12:49 AM.
Apt Mania Round 4

Not much to left to say; though I will add a bit of background info. This round was inspired by the 2009 Melrose Place reboot that apparently only I watched. Anywho, ever since then I wanted to make an apartment complex surrounded by a pool. While this isn't quite what I had in my head, I think it turned out well. Because of the inspiration, I ended up going for a southwest/hacienda type vibe, with lots of plants everywhere, and wouldn't you know it, that type of lot fits in perfectly in Veronaville! The original stucco color scheme did not, however, so the exterior was changed to Way Off White to match Veronaville's neighborhood theme but the interior, as well as the living and dining areas, remains stucco. I also went with an outer breezeway to fit the theme, and to prevent the courtyard from becoming too dark, I left the back corners open, pictured below in the Back picture. Finally, the arcade machine next to the mailbox is meant to be replaced with Monique's ATM.

Apologies in advance to judges; orientation of pictures may change as I chose the angles that best showed everything. With 10 units, I had to be extra conservative with pictures. However, pictures are in order and the attached pictures are labeled, as always. Also, when numbering units, the number is for the floor, the letter is the unit. As for the units themselves, I picture the apartment building as mostly for young professionals, or young adults still figuring out what they want to do, though one unit is staged for a young family. These sims like the building's variety of amenities and the opportunity for some kick-ass building parties. With the pool, big screen tv, poker table, and sauna all in public spaces, I expect sims to be rolling wants to be outdoors frequently. Oh, and the hanging lights over the island counters are meant to be deco and not used; the rest of the lighting should be sufficient.

ETA: Some text, update to picture, spelling

Instructor
#575 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 3:28 PM
@Phantomknight I would recommend selecting the Design tool before taking pictures to remove the grid squares.

I suffered from creator's block while trying to decorate my lot, but I hope I can finish it today.

Locked thread | Locked by: gdayars Reason: Contest over
Page 23 of 25