Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2021 at 6:48 PM
Default What are your sim weddings like? Inspire me!
In my 20 woohoo challenge mod a lot of the 30ish initial sims are coming up to age 25 and while some of them are free and single romance sims and intend to stay that way, a lot of them have family aspiration as a primary or secondary, and so I'm looking to have lots of weddings come up shortly!

I have downloaded a "Wedding Park" lot from here on MTS which is a sort of hotel-like venue. But I've historically been a bit haphazard with weddings. I don't think I've ever actually done a community lot wedding (can you throw a wedding party on a community lot? Or how do you do that?) I'd like them not to all be the same, and I'd like to make them special and put some effort in. Can you share with me how weddings go in your games? I would love to hear about them

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th May 2021 at 7:25 PM
You need a mod to throw a wedding party on a community lot. The only time I tried that it didn't work right and I never bothered to troubleshoot it, but you can simulate a community wedding party by putting together an outing to go to the wedding venue, or by going to the venue and teleporting in guests. You can save some game lag/possible crashing at the point of arch use by using the formal wear sign. Mostly i do home weddings, though. It's less of a hassle.

My advice for throwing wedding parties:
Don't move in the bride/groom prior to the party, if you want a chance at the "married a rich sim" memory.
If the bride or groom is a townie, however, they should become playable before the wedding, or they won't get the aspiration rush for filling the want, unless you've hacked townie aspiration to be non-static.
Set up the arch somewhere that the cutscene won't be blocked by a wall when the camera goes around to film from behind the arch. Set out some chairs but don't worry about getting everyone seated. They'll sit down or they won't. Perfect is the enemy of fun.
Save and set out refreshments immediately before throwing the party. Turn the fridge around or block it with the buffet if you don't want guests raiding the fridge. If you want to use the toasting set don't put it out till after the vows unless you find it amusing to see people toasting instead of watching the vows in the background of your cut scene. If you're doing a big family wedding, buy some port-a-potties and put them on the edge of the property.
Invite any essential people with whom the caller is not friends via the phone - it is very rare for anyone to turn down a wedding party invitation, regardless of time of day or relationship status. Schedule the party early in the day so it's not cut short by people taking kids home.
Use a teleporter to bring in any other essential/especially desired people. Include family members who can't be invited, whether because they're unknown to the person calling the party or because they're toddlers in particular. Toddlers and children underfoot are essential for a proper family wedding. Ideally, the wedding party should be large enough to include a solid core of people who are already friendly, a few people who ought to know each other but don't, and a small number of potential chaos makers.
Go to the arch immediately and Get Married, before the guests have a chance to get involved in competing animations like kids dancing on feet, refreshment fetching, beating up nemeses, or catching each other cheating. Once the vows are said under the arch, the party will be nearly impossible to tank, but if you leave it too late in the party, even if you get through it, the party risks being a disaster.
Once the vows are said, direct the bride and groom to any activities you want to be sure to accomplish, such as cake cutting, introductions, First Dance, marriage consummation, or whatever.
Once those are done, sit back, watch, and laugh. I've had brides tossing footballs in their wedding dresses, in-law hot-tubbing, multiple fights, cops and robbers between the chairs, mass smustling and slap dancing, pillow fights, caught cheating events, parrots released and flying among the guests, hang outs on the dance floor, movie marathons, lifelong bonds formed between cousins (cf cops and robbers among the chairs), guests putting themselves to bed or running themselves bubble baths (hence the port-a-potties), you name it. Intervene in the case of boring obstructions like everyone trying to cram into the same bathroom or pileups in doorways, using "call over" or, in extreme cases "move objects," but otherwise you can leave them to it if you've crafted your guest list properly.

I wish real weddings were half as much fun as my sim weddings.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th May 2021 at 8:12 PM
Thank you, that is usually how I set up at-home weddings, using the teleporter, and they are a lot of fun, but I wondered if I was missing anything in terms of community lots, decoration, and venues in general. I also NEVER remember to check the angle for the cutscene, so I have had a lot of failed cutscenes with walls in the way or that swooping kiss going right through a fence.

I do find I need to initiate the actual marriage part fairly immediately after everyone has arrived, because the "watch marriage" interaction is not nearly aggressive enough at stomping other activities, which is annoying.

I did set up a wedding shop in one of my hoods, I think I might bring it to this one. I was thinking of making a bit of an event of the preparation - having the betrothed visit to choose and purchase their wedding outfits, get wedding makeovers (just for formal) and there is even a photobooth on site so they can *ahem* commemorate the occasion. With a romantic photo, of course, what did you think I meant? It means that for same-sex weddings they can also choose co-ordinating outfits. I did have a slight problem in that I kept forgetting to change their formalwear back after the wedding, so recently married sims would turn up as guests at other people's weddings in a wedding dress! But perhaps if I try and make more of an event of it, I will remember to do this.

I forgot I could put a teleporter on community lots. I think I'll make sure to do this at my wedding venues.

Forum Resident
#4 Old 29th May 2021 at 8:36 PM Last edited by Sokisims : 29th May 2021 at 9:06 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I do find I need to initiate the actual marriage part fairly immediately after everyone has arrived, because the "watch marriage" interaction is not nearly aggressive enough at stomping other activities, which is annoying.

In that case I select each sim with insimenator and cancel their actions so they can go to see the ceremony. Although I usually do it especially when I want to take photos. I do not know if there is a correction that makes the sims leave everything to see the wedding, if it exists I would like to have it.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 29th May 2021 at 9:08 PM
I'm not as good an advisor as Peni Griffin, but if you're playing in Veronaville, I Highly Recommend inviting the whole neighbourhood to the church, where they can attempt to kill each other ✨In A God Honouring Way✨
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th May 2021 at 11:06 PM
Essentials for a community wedding lot, imho:
Arch
Teleporter
Woohoo locations

Wedding cake and a buffet are nice but optional. St. Elvis's Wedding Chapel, in Drama Acres, had a hot tub, a photo booth, and a small clothing store so they could buy formals on site and consummate in the changing booth. Also a sizeable restroom, a buffet, and a DJ booth.

Something I implemented in Bigg City but haven't actually played to speak of was, having different wedding venues for different types of weddings. In the Nice part of town there's San Simeon's Chapel, a sedate religious venue with an arch, piano, and refreshments and Weddings on the Green, for a fancy outdoor wedding. In the Middling part of town there's Weddings to Go, an indoor venue with a little chapel, a small clothing store, and a party room with a buffet and a karaoke machine, with a hot tub out back. And then there's the Shotgun Shack, for when you absolutely, positively have to get married right now, with a stereo, an arch, balloons, a photobooth, and a punch bowl. Give yourself some variety!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 12:34 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 2nd Jun 2021 at 2:20 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Essentials for a community wedding lot, imho:
Arch
Teleporter
Woohoo locations

Woohoo locations?!!

I just had to share that with Andrew. As you may have heard, Gloria (Andrew's mum) and Garry, and Andrew and Julian had a double wedding in St Simeon's Parish Church in Veronaville back in November. Andrew was amused at your post. He says:

'Peni, your Sims must be even more desperate than us! Even mum and Garry managed to hold out till they got home. And, so, in the end, did Julian.

'Mum getting married in white was a bit of a joke. She's had woohoo almost every day for about as long as I can remember. I know some kids don't like their parents having woohoo, but I'm glad my mum has such a positive attitude to it. Mum's always taught me that woohoo is good, and not to knock it. Sice I became a teen, she's never been shy about telling me about it and telling me how much she enjoys it. And she's told me that the woohoo with my dad the night I was conceived was some of the best she's ever had. I think it kind of makes me feel good to know that I was conceived in a night of steamy passion. It sort of makes me feel more loved.

'In some ways I know I don't always see eye to eye with my mum; I suppose that in some ways I'm more old-fashioned than she is. But I still love her immensely, and have enormous respect for her views, even when they're not quite the same as my own. Mum wasn't at all shocked when I told her I was gay, but I think she was a little shocked when I told her I wanted to get married in church, and that I thought I shouldn't have woohoo until I was married. She said that, if she was in my place, she'd have woohoo with all the boys and with all the girls at my school just to see what she liked best. Sometimes my mum is very naughty, but it's fun having a mum like that! I told her that Julian and I had found True Love, and that I didn't need a relationship with anyone else. Mum just gave me a big hug and kissed me. Sometimes she calls me "my little prude"; I think that's a term of affection.

'After she got her "Dishonourable Discharge" from the army, mum was quite upset for some time. Quite understandably she developed a fear of inviting friends round in case they rejected her. I realised that she needed woohoo, so I phoned up Garry and invited him round to do what he could to cheer mum up. After that I became mum's sort of "go between". I'd phone up Garry and say, "Hi Garry! Andrew here. Mum's needing woohoo again. Can you come over and do your stuff." And Garry would be like "OK Andrew, I'll be right over." So I knew all about mum's love life.

'A few years ago, when I first thought about going to university, my first idea was that I would stay at home with mum and commute to university. I didn't want to leave mum on her own. But then, Peni, I'll blame you. You started telling me how much fun life on campus can be. And when I heard about Greek Houses and toga parties I was completely sold on the idea. I knew I wanted all the fun of living on campus. There's a serious side to this as well -- university is a complete experience: to gain the full benefit of university you really have to experience the social side of it as well as the academic side. I think that students who stay at home with their parents don't really derive the full benefit from their course of study.

'But I was still worried about leaving mum alone. Then I got thinking about her and Garry. Because of my involvement I knew just how close they were. They were having woohoo almost every day, and, in practice they had been faithful to each other for years. I'd be much happier about leaving her if I knew she had Garry. I began to drop hints to mum about marriage. Then, a couple of years ago she surprised Garry by proposing to him at Thanksgiving. They got engaged then, and, as you know, they got married last November on the same day as Julian and me. If I remember rightly the double wedding was Charity's idea. Thanks @Charity ! It was a great idea.

'I really wanted a church wedding, and mum and Garry were quite happy to go along with that idea. Actually Garry has been coming to church on Sunday mornings with me and Julian for a few years now. Mum has the excuse that, as a sports superstar, she's nearly always working on Sunday mornings. Since Julian and I are regular churchgoers, it was easy to ask the Rector, the Reverend Elspeth Anderson to marry us in church. But we are the first same sex couple to get married in church in Veronaville. Getting married as teens really isn't a problem here. The legal age of consent for marriage is quite low here -- 14 I think. With a teenage head of state with a strong interest in romance (Juliette Capp), it could scarcely be otherwise. It wasn't really relevant for us anyway -- Julian and I are both 18 now.

'Anyway, having (I hope) set the scene, I'd better get round to describing our wedding(s). (I think that's what I'm supposed to be writing about.) We had our double wedding in St Simeon's Parish Church, Veronaville, on 26th November last year. The Officiant was the Rector, the Reverend Elspeth Anderson. She had a special wedding altar installed in the church for the ceremony. Julian and I went first, and exchanged our vows before the altar. Then Mum and Garry followed us. I wore my kilt, and Julian wore a very revealing outfit (by Knightskykyte) in virginal white. Julian maintained he had a right to marry in white, as I had steadfastly refused to have woohoo with him till after the wedding. We had our wedding cakes in the church, and I think everyone there got a slice. As it was a public service in the church, anyone could attend. Perhaps the most surprising attendee was Romance townie Bruce Charleson, who turned up (in tiny denim shorts) too late for the service, but in time to make sure he got his slice of cake!

'After the service we went back to our house -- now our marital home -- for an informal celebration, which started in the street outside and finished up inside the house. Over the course of the evening Julian entertained me with a slow striptease, progressively removing more and more of his wedding outfit as the evening wore on. By bedtime there was almost nothing left but a tiny pair of white bejewelled briefs. He was determined that we consummate our union with a wedding night to remember. Of course he succeeded! By bedtime he was completely and utterly irresistible!

'Of course with hindsight there are things we could have done better. But, as you say, Peni, perfection is the enemy of fun, and I think everyone who was there at our double wedding would agree that they had fun. Julian and I will try to continue that in our married life -- we'll make sure our marriage never becomes so perfect that it ceases to be fun! What a beautiful thought! Thanks Peni!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 3:14 AM
Personally, my big thing when I do weddings is to make sure there are some good Wedding Pictures. For me, the special thing about going all out for weddings instead of just having them propose... marriage... during a date is really that I can gift the sim's parents printouts of their kids from the wedding to hang on the wall. Because of this, I almost never do community lot weddings because I usually take wedding pictures using the artist-career-reward camera, which you can't really use on community lots. There are some exceptions, of course, not every family has a camera: I do have a wedding venue in my hood that I'll do the wedding at in those cases, or occasionally I'll take some portraits in formal wear at home first and then play the wedding at the community lot with only the vacation camera. I've made it a full-on church with giant cc stained glass windows and a raised grand piano and church benches with a graveyard out back like you often find at small-town churches (what better way to make a wedding special than have it haunted by your own great-grandmother?), and a basement done up like a wedding hall. An extra-special fun thing for weddings that I love doing when justifiable from a story perspective is inviting any sort of drama-prone sims to the wedding. It's really fun when the bride's divorced-enemy-parents start fighting during the reception, or her brother who dated the groom in college who still is in love and gets jealousy reactions to him flirting with other sims shows up, or the local romance sim who's slept with half of the hood starts pushing acr flirts on the other married sims when their spouses are right there.

I do have the party-on-community-lots mod, and I believe I need cell phones to make it work properly, though? It's been a while since I've done a community lot wedding. I don't think you're able to do it from any phone on the lot. In terms of making the sims remember it as special, make sure your intProp maxnumberofvisitingsims number is as high as you feel you need, because teleporting random sims who aren't wedding guests don't really help with party score at all. I try to avoid doing that, and increase my maximum visitors number instead if the party guests are too low a number to get everyone I want there. Besides that, I generally always just serve dinner and/or cut the cake, have the bride and groom dance together, and then woohoo somewhere on the lot. The guests socializing with each other, and a successful marriage + woohoo always keeps the party score at roof raiser with no special actions from me.

I also second the recommendation not to move in the spouse until after the wedding when possible-- there are mods out there that affect whose last name is chosen in a marriage. It doesn't work in my game despite being installed, so I can't follow the recommendation myself a lot of the time, though.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 12:34 PM
@AndrewGloria

I still have not seen any wedding photos!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 5:44 PM Last edited by Vladora : 2nd Jun 2021 at 6:01 PM.
I tried a community lot wedding once and it was a mess for various reasons. So I suggest using residential "community lots". I have four in the only 'hood I bother to have special weddings in: a church, a garden, a ballroom, and a beach lot. Each one has a caretaker Sim who acts as the event planner. They set up for the wedding (teleport in the Sims), facilitate the event (play piano, cook), then clean up after (toilets, all those cake plates).

Issues:
The Sim being married will be moved into the lot. It's easy enough to move them out/teleport them back to the right lot at the end of the party and the Batbox erases moving memories if that bugs you.
The carpool will come for any controlled Sims (probably just the wedding couple). Make sure it's their day off or they have vacation days and cancel out the going to work action. Probably best to have it on their day off since it's annoying having the car pool honking outside during the vows.
Controlled Sims will age at 6pm. Have weddings well before or just after 6pm if you want a night/evening wedding. Or turn aging off.

They're a little finicky but not nearly as much as community lot weddings were for me. It's up to you which is the lesser of the two evils.

Bonus pics of venues!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 8:47 PM
@AndrewGloria Oh! I step out of the community for a year (or two, I'm not a very consistent poster since my daughter arrived) and Andrew got married?!

You all sound like you have beautiful ceremonies for your Sims. Almost all of my Sims get married in a random room of their house, and somehow one of them is always in their underwear

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 9:26 PM
I've yet to do any community lot weddings, but they're on the list. I love me some pretty churches.

As for what I do now, typically it depends on the sims who are getting married. I don't care about the cutscenes (makes my game lag, and I've seen them so many times it's not that special, but sometimes I get sentimental), and I rarely take pictures. Sometimes I use the wedding mat if there are sims who'd make good groomsmen, bridesmaids, or flower girls, and if it's an apartment wedding, since putting in a giant flowered arch feels a little ridiculous in a grungy shoebox. Sometimes I use the arch, but usually if the wedding is an outdoor affair. If both sims are shy, don't have many friends, or have bad relationships with family, they'll elope and propose marriage on their own, maybe with a few close friends around.

Typically, my sims live together before they get married, whether because they knocked one another up, want to go in on a house together, or just really like each other. It's also a lot more convenient to sync up ages when the couple lives together, and there's also no worry about timing when in a round I can throw a wedding. The only exceptions are when I feel like it's a rushed job, or if that's just how the couple happens to be when they want to get married. If there's a fortune sim trying to get a rich partner, for example, they'd wait until they were married to move in. If it turns out I screwed things up and they don't get the memory when they should have, I just cheat. No harm, no foul. Sometimes if a sims' formal outfit is really offensive or inappropriate I'll change it for the wedding, but usually the only sims to buy a specific outfit for their wedding have to want to buy new clothing, or they just have the time and money to go shopping. Other times, I'll say a certain sim want to get married in culturally appropriate outfits, if I feel like it matches their supposed ethnicity. All the guest I invite or teleport over will be changed into their formal wear, even if they decide to take a bath after the reception.

If there's money and space for a buffet and extra tables, I'll do it and sell it back immediately after. I usually don't theme the wedding unless the couple can actually afford it, but the average sim is in serious mortgage debt in my hood when they get married, so oftentimes it's not a huge concern. If I have a sim who's family oriented, into cuisine, or just too poor, they'll cook something beforehand and call everyone to meal after the ceremony. If there's a parent living with them, I'll usually have them handle the cooking and give the happy couple a day off. Wedding cakes are an absolute must for any couple getting married, regardless of circumstance. Even if they have to sell something, they'll get a cake. It's an opportunity to get a cute animation, lets me add some customizability to the wedding (if the groom or bride have favorite colors), and leftover cake is great for pregnancy cravings. I NEVER do the toasting set unless the wedding is huge and expensive. The day a mod comes out to reduce the attractiveness of that thing I will start to add it in.

Music is also a must, while we're on the subject. Sims always love to dance. Usually I'll do a couples' dance where the married couple gets to slow dance or classic dance (for some reason a lot of my sims roll that want right after they get married). Sometimes the music will come from a stereo, or other times a musically inclined family member. I've had sims who have the sub hobby of a musical instrument play for their family's weddings, and usually they'll do it autonomously in spite of whatever other plans I may have had. Sims can be spontaneous like that, but if it makes them happy, it's their party. Other activities depends on the couple's preferences. Sometimes weddings end in the pool, sometimes with the firewalking pit I downloaded, sometimes at the bar, or sometimes just dancing until the timer runs out. Sometimes the couple will stay around and interact with their guests, and other times they'll be way too focused on woohooing for their wedding night. Once the party is over they'll go on their honeymoon (Maxis limo or Bon Voyage, whatever suits them) if they have the want for a vacation before their marriage actually happens. Pregnant sims are excluded form this tradition since vacationing with pregnant sims is miserable and boring on vacation (they can't even get a massage at the table? C'mon, Maxis). Anything left after the wedding is immediately sold back, and if I remember, the couple will change their formal wear if it's too wedding-y for them to wear to a different household's formal party. The only other obligation they have is I do force them to woohoo on their wedding night.

If a sim gets left at the altar, I let them do whatever they want for the remainder of the party, since there's literally no salvaging it when that happens. Sometimes a sim who got left will fight with their fiance, break off everything, or just cry and get drunk at the nearest bar. Those weddings are always pure chaos, and in a devilishly fun way.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 10:14 PM
This thread's really making me want to put more effort into weddings and actually get bridesmaids and groomsmen and dress them up in matching outfits and decorate and all... wish I had the patience and mood to do it!

Also @ Vladora, what witchcraft do you use to get such great screenshots? The best I can do is move sims "next" to each other using moveobjects, but they still look like they're awkwardly social distancing!
Field Researcher
#14 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
This thread's really making me want to put more effort into weddings and actually get bridesmaids and groomsmen and dress them up in matching outfits and decorate and all... wish I had the patience and mood to do it!

Also @ Vladora, what witchcraft do you use to get such great screenshots? The best I can do is move sims "next" to each other using moveobjects, but they still look like they're awkwardly social distancing!

To start with, you'll need to download some OMSPs. This is the set I use. Once you put a Sim on them, you can move them using the OMSP and they won't do that weird thing where they snap onto each other.

Now, that problem's solved, all you need is some cheats!

"setquartertileplacement on" will let you move Sims and other objects closer together while still giving you the benefit of using the grid. I have it on pretty much all the time when I play, it's so nice when building.
"boolprop snapObjectstoGrid false" will eliminate grid-snapping entirely and let you place your Sims literally anywhere you want on the x-axis. So they can get super up close and personal. :,)

Just remember to move your Sim by clicking on the OMSP and not the Sim itself. I'm very much a novice when it comes to posing Sims, especially the more complex stuff. It requires a lot of patience (which I don't always have) and trial and error. This resource page from strangetomato's pinterest really helped me out if you're interested in learning more.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 4:35 AM
Default I've seen this a couple of times and it always bugs me:
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria

'After she got her "Dishonourable Discharge" from the army

There are five grades of discharge in the US Armed Forces:

1) Honorable (service completed satisfactorily)

2) General under Honorable Conditions (service less than satisfactory but no major complaints)

3) Other Than Honorable (fails important written or understood criteria)

4) Bad Conduct (got caught lawbreaking, court-martialed)

5) Dishonorable (treason, espionage, desertion, and/or MAJOR felony, court-martialed, not worth executing - this one is very rarely handed out in peacetime)

People unfamiliar with the military tend to think that anything other than an Honorable discharge is "Dishonorable". But it has a very exact legal meaning. Someone who slept her way through the male barracks would probably get a General or Other Than Honorable - *possibly* Bad Conduct if prostitution was involved. But not Dishonorable.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 10:37 AM
I'm pretty uninspired for a wedding-usually have it either at the 'wedding chapel' (non-denomination) or at "Our Lady of Eternal Sorrow" for those who like the fancy way. The only variation I really have is at the chapel is to have the infamous 6 pack of beer on the lot, which can add some spice to the festivities.
I don't bother with the whole nine yards of wedding attendants-although pixels can have their own if they choose.
The chapel has not only the beer, an automated food dispenser, there are instruments out side in the back for those guests who feel musically inclined.
The pixels do not go for honeymoons, which most of them regard as money and time wasters. They just go home and use the premises for their celebrations.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 11:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
There are five grades of discharge in the US Armed Forces:
5) Dishonorable (treason, espionage, desertion, and/or MAJOR felony, court-martialed, not worth executing - this one is very rarely handed out in peacetime)

Poor Gloria got blamed for something that really wasn't her fault, it was something in cyber security and a gross miscarriage of justice, and the militia in Lacuna Delta were seriously considering launching a attack on Veronaville Military base in retaliation. However, Gloria is now in another career track and emailed Sim Sample's Bigfoot chum and asked him not to bother, as she was in the show business now and any sort of scandal would reflect badly. We remember though, we remember! *Shakes fist at Veronaville Military compound*
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 5:27 PM
I must admit I quite like the Maxis limo honeymoon if only because I have the inteen Risky Honeymoon flavor pack. It amuses me to find that a sim has become pregnant on their honeymoon!

Thanks all for the venue ideas and community lot tips. I don't think I need it to be a party - maybe an outing will suffice. I hadn't thought about random sims coming along to the wedding although that wouldn't be bad.

The idea of a pseudo-community lot with a caretaker I must admit is VERY interesting! I hadn't thought about doing that. I am not sure it will work in the hood I am thinking about, but it may well work in other hoods. BTW - you could use Inge's institutional sign to prevent carpools and school buses from turning up on that lot It doesn't penalise the sim for missing work/school, it just means that the carpool will never come.

Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 19th Jun 2021 at 3:49 AM
I've done community lot weddings at lots I built especially for them - in parks mainly. Without a mod or teleporter, most of the Sims you invite along on the 'outing' won't turn up. I've had just one friend or family member show up for weddings, but strangers in the park will come along and watch and make up the numbers. Don't put music on before the ceremony as the Sims will start dancing instead of watching. Most of my weddings are now home-based.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 19th Jun 2021 at 4:37 AM
Depending on the sims I throw home. church, park or beach lot weddings. I also have a beach wedding lot uploaded.

You need the throw party on com lots http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,9570.0.html
Your sim should have a mobile/cell phone
I normally make it X wedding party group.
Handy to use a clothes changer or just the simblender to set everyone to formal.
A Build and buy enabler mod from MTS so you have accesses to inventory for something like a wedding cake or toasting set
With the toasting set a mod to stop them running off. I can't find it but I know there is one.
and an easy way to make sims selectable, I like Pescdos.

This doesn't make sims sit or stop past brides rocking up in their wedding dresses...
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#21 Old 19th Jun 2021 at 5:10 AM
I have a big park, with wedding arch. I don't remember having a mod that allows marriage on community lot...but I can take an engaged couple to the park & they can get married. Everyone at the park whips into formal wear and joins in. Technically it's not a party, but I like it for a young couple that don't know anyone.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Link Ninja
#22 Old 19th Jun 2021 at 5:42 AM
Lately I have been into building 'destination wedding spots' because I'm in vacation season. So far, I have actually played them in Twikkii and Takemizu.

The Twikkii one is a hotel resort (aptly named 'Romance Resort') that caters to weddings, they have only two honeymoon-type suits, a pier out into the ocean with the wedding arch on it, and then buffet, food seating, and a DJ booth reception and bar area on the main floor. I use a handy mod where I can fish out items from buy mode and sim inventories while they are on community or vacation lots, so I fished out sim blender and teleported a few sim friends of the groom and bride, used the gussy up mod to coordinate their wedding party outfits, changed them all to formal and then had the couple get married on the pier.

Here is a picture/story album about the couple that features their wedding in it

I built the Takemizu one on a twitch stream about two months ago and then cut a lot tour video of the final product more or less. It is a community lot but same process of me fishing out sim blender and importing some friends and family before sending them to the arch to get married. I had a couple get married on it to play test it, found out I had to delete a few lanterns for them to use the stairs.

Here is the video of the ceremonial lake wedding lot of Takemizu

I do have a tiny little Three Lakes lot that's a cozy cabin for a couple to shack up in and then outside in a forest grove is a wedding arch and a little shelter with a buffet and jar lights but I have not tested that yet.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
@ AndrewGloria

I still have not seen any wedding photos!
That's entirely my fault! It's not Andrew's or Gloria's. If anything I took too many pictures. And probably because I was so emotionally involved (it was my best friend's wedding) I made mistakes, and left bits of the UI showing in some of the pictures. It's hard to pick just four of the pictures to mark the day. However, as it's now over six months since the wedding, the photos are, I admit, grossly overdue. So here, to keep you going, are a couple of pics as a foretaste:
I think the best thing for me to do is to post all the pictures in the Wedding Pictures thread, and spoiler all but four of them.
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
@ AndrewGloria Oh! I step out of the community for a year (or two, I'm not a very consistent poster since my daughter arrived) and Andrew got married?!

You all sound like you have beautiful ceremonies for your Sims. Almost all of my Sims get married in a random room of their house, and somehow one of them is always in their underwear
Yes, young Andrew is now a married man, or perhaps I should say a married boy -- he and Julian will go back to school soon. But, despite their youth, I'm sure they have the maturity to make a success of marriage. Getting married as teens opens at least the possibility of a really long marriage -- something less likely if you get married in your seventies! Andrew and Julian are the first gay couple in my game to actually marry rather undertake a mere "joined union". Long ago I promised them that I'd install the same sex marriage mod as my wedding present to them.

Underwear? Well some of my Sims carefully chosen wedding outfits might look more like underwear to outsiders -- modern Veronaville fashions are often skimpy in the extreme!

All told weddings are quite infrequent in my game. (Though not quite as rare as babies -- or deaths!) In all the time I've been playing Veronaville there have only been four other weddings in the town. The first was the Summerdreams, who many thought were married already. There were no more marriages in the town until last year when Tybalt Capp married teenage Lexie Kauker (originally a Downtownie) and Consort married ex-townie April Hutchins. And then, just last month, Tom Cornton and Audrey Tsang finally got married after a long engagement. All these marriages were under an arch at home, and all were with parties except Consort and April. They got hitched quite quickly around midnight (on the day of Tybalt and Lexie's wedding) when I spotted that April (a Romance Sim) had lost her fear of getting married.

In other 'hoods I play there have been a few weddings. My very first wedding was in my test 'hood of Teston Woods. The only playable in the 'hood, a young man, who lived alone in an almost desolate landscape married a blonde townie woman, who turned out to be telling the truth when she told him she was a general. (IMHO she's by far the best looking general I've ever seen!) The two young founders of the free love colony of New Desconia married each other in a Joined Union ceremony on their back lawn. To reach the back lawn of their house ("Abode de l'amour" that comes with Celebration!), you have pass their love tub, and it proved too much of a temptation for most of the invited guests. These were both home weddings with parties. I can only think of one other wedding in my game. It was in Baldrair Bluffs and it was my first community lot wedding. It was partly to give me some experience of a community lot wedding before doing the really important one -- i.e. Andrew and Julian. For the wedding in Baldrair Bluffs, we set up a wedding arch in a park beside the river (which is of course the mighty Simourris). I was pushing out the envelope a little for this one: not only was it my first community lot wedding, and a same sex one (still a "Joined Union" -- I was saving full same sex marriage for Andrew and Julian), but it was also a wedding between an elder and a teen. A combination of Jenflower's Woohoo Teens and a special mod by Chis Hatch which was available on Back Alley Sims for less than 24 hours (but I got it in that time! ) made that possible. I understand that Callum Croall intends to enable his young husband to go and study at LGU one day.

As far as I can remember, that's all the weddings I've played so far -- six in Veronaville, and three in various custom 'hoods, making nine in total in eight and a half years playing. That works out on average at about one a year. Fewer I think than most Simmers.

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Poor Gloria got blamed for something that really wasn't her fault, it was something in cyber security and a gross miscarriage of justice, and the militia in Lacuna Delta were seriously considering launching a attack on Veronaville Military base in retaliation. However, Gloria is now in another career track and emailed Sim Sample's Bigfoot chum and asked him not to bother, as she was in the show business now and any sort of scandal would reflect badly. We remember though, we remember! *Shakes fist at Veronaville Military compound*
That is indeed more or less what happened. Gloria is actually a sports superstar rather than a show business one, and she actually says that her time in the army helped her a lot to achieve the level of fitness she needs. It shouldn't have been a Dishonourable Discharge, but that's what's on her service record, and it still rankles with her. She says "It almost makes me wish I had 'slept [my] way through the male barracks'. (@Sims2Maven) At least I'd have had some fun doing that. Sadly most of the male soldiers I met were frigid." She thanks Sim Sample and the Lacuna Delta militia for their offer of help. Seriously she would very much like to see her court martial conviction quashed. Her husband Garry is now a State Assemblyperson, and he's trying to use what influence he has to get the military to reopen the matter.

Well, @simsfreq , we hope that collectively we've given you some inspiration!
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 30th Jun 2021 at 9:27 PM
Most wedding parties in my hood is simply held at home. Good friends always mean a good party with no complications of any kind and my sims seem quite happy.
Some weddings may take place without a party - in the bathroom or wherever that Sim - who suddenly and unexpectedly rolls the want to get married - may be at that point, because the want may just be gone soon.
There are community lots with wedding arches on it in my hood - the wedding will just take place there if
1. it is a group outing and good friends are present anyway
2. It is a widowed sim who met his next spouse at the funeral
3. If I feel like it, I may teleport in some friends or relatives - I don't often feel like it
Inventor
#25 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 12:08 AM
Most of my Sims don't want to get married. Those who do but don't want to do it at home can drive to the MarryInAHurry chapel, a small lot that I built for such occasions and that I put in every 'hood I play. Some other Sims usually come to gawk; I select one of these to make a toast to the newlyweds, the bride cuts the wedding cake (like the champagne provided by a benevolent deity) and then the hungry ones (like The Charlatan who is quite a frequent visitor) eat it but most prefer drinking. Finally the couple drives away and that's it.

Not very inspirational, I'm afraid.
Page 1 of 2