Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2021 at 9:42 PM
Default Using external hard drive for downloads files switching between mac and pc
This may seem ignorant, but has anyone tried keeping downloads in an external usb for more storage space, and moving the files to the actual downloads file in the game files on the pc?
I bought a cheap PC only for sims 2 but I am still concerned with CC storage capacity, I have a usb with allot of storage that I can use to download content from my mac (way faster) and unzip on the PC. Would I have to have the entire game on the usb drive and play it from that on the PC? I really hope this made sense.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 31st May 2021 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maddador
Would I have to have the entire game on the usb drive and play it from that on the PC? I really hope this made sense.

What I do is, I keep downloaded files on the USB drive (1 TB external hard drive) and extract them to the Downloads folder on the regular hard drive, as needed. That means I always have replacement copies if something goes cattywompus, but the regular hard drive isn't cluttered up with zips and rars and 7zs.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 7:01 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st Jun 2021 at 7:19 PM.
I used to transfer downloaded files via a USB stick back when I didn't have internet on my first laptop. It works quite well and is also a good solution if you don't have space to store all the extra bits and pieces.

Noawdays I have several USB harddrives for CC and file storage, plus for backups. It's quite useful, and means I always have backups of my files. I'm a bit of CC hoarder, plus I have a ton of project files and whatnots, so I always have files I don't necessarily don't want to put into my game at the moment - I save the zip file, the link, a text file, and pictures (I want as much information as possible about the items, because nowadays sites and single downloads tend to go down pretty quickly).