Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 2:13 PM
Default Some bugs are funny. . .
I know that the glitches and bugs in the game are usually a pain in the behind, and some of them can ruin your gameplay experience, but some of them just make me laugh.

Last night, a tree in one of my residential lots was hit by lightning and caught fire.

Well, not exactly. The tile next to the tree was hit by lightning and caught fire. It burned for days and days. I sent one sim after another over to it to see what would happen. They dug for treasure, hung out, had water balloon fights, all kinds of stuff, and never seemed to mind being engulfed in flames, except for really, really needing a shower right afterwards.

Went into build mode and deleted the "tree" because it was getting a little tedious. The disembodied fire disappeared, but the real tree stayed.

A few sim days later, the real tree got hit by lightning. Same thing. Burned and burned for days. My sims were pretty much oblivious, except for complaining about how they smelled. Just for ha-has, I called the fire department, and I swear I laughed out loud as the fireman chewed my sim out for calling in a false alarm as he stood there with his butt on fire!

I had to delete the tree again, but it was a small price to pay for the chuckles.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 2:34 PM
The breadfruit tree does that. It doesn't seem to recognize it as an actual fire, even though we still see it. The only way to get rid of it is to delete the tree, which is a shame because it's one of the nicest looking trees available. You'd think they would have it fixed with a patch but no such luck.

kittens!
Instructor
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 7:33 PM
Default Missed opportunity
Wow, I've never seen that particular glitch. I think I would have left it alone, just for the novelty.

If something like that happened in the real world, it would only be a matter of hours before someone started a cult around the ever-burning tree, or at least set up a booth and started selling tickets to see it.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 10:06 PM
^^Wait...*looks out window* Then having eternally burning trees in your backyard isn't normal?

On the other hand....SWINGE!
Instructor
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 2:09 AM
Default Uh...wait, what...? I don't even....
You're sitting on a goldmine. A goldmine, I say!

I just wonder if the bright light would make it hard to sleep, like one of those annoying hotel signs.

I haven't used the pets long enough to observe their toilet habits....do the dogs piddle on trees, or only in the yard/on the furniture? I bet that burning tree would be a real deterrent to that behavior.
Inventor
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 3:17 AM
Dogs pee wherever they feel like it until the mood strikes them to pee elsewhere which may or may not be a more appropriate place to pee and they will continue to pee there until their mood strikes again.

The spot they seem most likely to pee in my game is the sidewalk and/or outdoor porch/patio. Which, can't scold them for it because the game only recognizes that as "outside".

This is why I prefer cats. At least they have a box or can be toilet trained.

kittens!
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 3:46 PM
I've only had Seasons for about a day now, so I haven't seen rain just yet. I guess I shouldn't use that tree, then. :/
Alchemist
#8 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 3:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedblue
The spot they seem most likely to pee in my game is the sidewalk and/or outdoor porch/patio. Which, can't scold them for it because the game only recognizes that as "outside".

This bugs the hell out of me too. Of all the places to go pee, such as the garden, they have to go on that narrow sidewalk at the very front... Where, of course, my sims have to mop it up as opposed to letting it soak into the ground...

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Field Researcher
#9 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 4:14 PM
This one is funny. I have fire sprinklers over my fire place and oven, but I also have smoke detectors. One day Tyler Barnes broke the T.V. and tried repairing it. But He electrocuted himself much to the displeasure of his wife. The firefighters came and for three tiles on fire, two jumped out of the truck. One of the firefighters went and started extinguishing the fire, but the other firrefighter started walking sneakily. He went to the fire sprinkler, took out a lighter, and set it off. Then ran off the lot. :\

American Rocker Bomb, similar to an Irish car bomb, take a shot glass and fill it with five hour energy, then take a pint glass and fill it with your choice of energy drink. Drop in the shot glass and chug, then wait for SVT to set in.
Inventor
#10 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by redbramblexx
I've only had Seasons for about a day now, so I haven't seen rain just yet. I guess I shouldn't use that tree, then. :/

I still use it but only with families that have enough money that I can replace it when it catches fire. It's a pretty tree and I just can't leave it in the catalog unused.

kittens!
Test Subject
#11 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 7:17 PM
I've gotten the burning tree thing a few times. I though it was the SimGod trying to communicate with the family the tree belonged to.
Scholar
#12 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 12:42 AM
Just got this one:

The papergirl walked STRAIGHT THROUGH the diagonal doors, and then set the paper down, then stood there for a second. Then she said, "Bye" and opened the door to leave.
I laughed so hard at this.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Instructor
#13 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 1:40 AM
Default Why you little....
The paper delivery person(s) and I have a long running feud. I've taken to detonating Paladin's firebomb in the yard whenever they show up.
Theorist
#14 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 6:19 AM
And then... the game generates a new paperperson, or does the mail stop being delivered?

On Topic:
I've had the same tree get hit by lightning but the fire eventually goes out and doesn't spread or bother anyone. What I don't like are that werewolves look normal in my game. That scumbag Sullivan Vijayaker has been at it again, so I looked at his file in SimPE and found that he has Lycanthropy checked. I also rediscovered that he is a fat, fatuous jerk who pops his collar when he is off work, which is every day that he daydreams about climbing a mountain metaphorically.
Instructor
#15 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 6:45 AM Last edited by Kneon_Knight : 5th Sep 2010 at 6:54 AM. Reason: punctuation
Default I should be so lucky.
Yes, the game generates a new one the next day, and he or she continues to act in an objectionable manner, carrying on in his or her predecessors footsteps; which forces me to take extreme measures, rinse, repeat.

It went through the whole cycle of being funny, then trite, then boring, then sad, and back to funny again over the past few years, and now it is a routine, or possibly even a tradition. "Oops! 7:45-time to nuke the newspaper carrier."

*sigh* Maybe I need a new hobby.
Inventor
#16 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 10:46 AM
There is a mod. A newspaper stand. One option is to stop the delivery of newspapers.

Another mod makes newspapers automatically disappear, if you haven't added to the compost bin.

The cleanbot will dispose of newspapers.

I finally decided that it wasn't too big a deal that I couldn't make a sim compost the paper if they are walking close, or have some extra time between doing necessary stuff. I still can't believe how much that newspaper used to annoy me. Now I don't hardly blink when the paper is delivered.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 5:59 PM
Well, it's definitely the breadfruit tree. The other trees on the lot eventually stopped burning. Something about this lot makes the trees get hit by lightning more than any other lot in my game. Something about this lot also makes it so that all of their investments regularly generate thousands and thousands of simoleons, so replacing the burning breadfruit tree isn't all that big a deal.

I've never been able to find out why it is that only certain lots in the game get particular bugs. In addition to this being the only lot with regular breadfruit tree conflagrations, I also have one lot where Dagmar Bertino delivers the mail over and over again, 24/7, lots that generate more nannies than children, all kinds of things that seem lot specific that occur even when I've removed all custom content, graves, and even the original family.

You'd think that a bug would be related to a specific item if it appeared only on one lot, or that if it were related to a hack or hacked item that it would appear in multiple lots, but that doesn't seem to be the case in my game. Since I can't fix it because I can't figure it out, I might as well laugh at it and work around it.
Instructor
#18 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 6:13 PM Last edited by Kneon_Knight : 5th Sep 2010 at 6:15 PM. Reason: Typo (again)
Quote: Originally posted by cheshirekat
There is a mod. A newspaper stand. One option is to stop the delivery of newspapers.

Another mod makes newspapers automatically disappear, if you haven't added to the compost bin.

The cleanbot will dispose of newspapers.

I finally decided that it wasn't too big a deal that I couldn't make a sim compost the paper if they are walking close, or have some extra time between doing necessary stuff. I still can't believe how much that newspaper used to annoy me. Now I don't hardly blink when the paper is delivered.

But...but...NAPALM!

And it isn't the paper so much as the bizarre lengths the delivery person will go to to place it in some out of the way spot on my lots. I used to think that it was because he or she was trying to drive my Sims insane, but in reality it's because the little fracktard finds it easier to navigate a veritable labytinth at ground level than to climb a short flight of steps. In other words, it is more "attractive" to walk over 1,286 tiles horizontally than roughly 1 1/2 tiles vertically. Just a quirk of the programming. It's also the reason that if you have more than 1 sim living in a house with a bathroom on each floor (assuming more than one floor) there will be the inevitable bathroom tantrum if the facility on the ground floor is being used.

But, still.....MOAR NAPALM NAOW!
Inventor
#19 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 11:05 PM
Well, the way I see it, upper floors don't really need a restroom. Most of my sims spend most of their time outdoors when home, so having two restrooms on the ground floor works quite well in most lots. Although I always feel rather weird when I make three bedrooms on the third floor, but only one bathroom - attached to and accessible only through the master bedroom.

When you build a lot, or modify one, there are just so many options to avoid bathroom problems. I have so many different lot styles that I don't really put the same number of bathrooms in the lots. But I have found those tiny bathrooms are like sim problem magnets. So, if anything is going to be smaller in a house, it will not be the bathrooms.

I used to like to fence in the entire, yard, except for the driveway. And yes, I remember being amazed that the newspaper carrier is such an idiot. But, I guess it is better than real life, where sometimes the carrier doesn't deliver the paper at all. Or tosses the paper in the bushes. And the paper is always dry, even under a pile of snow in the game.
Inventor
#20 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 7:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kneon_Knight
I used to think that it was because he or she was trying to drive my Sims insane, but in reality it's because the little fracktard finds it easier to navigate a veritable labytinth at ground level than to climb a short flight of steps. In other words, it is more "attractive" to walk over 1,286 tiles horizontally than roughly 1 1/2 tiles vertically. Just a quirk of the programming.

Huh, I've got the opposite; mine always drop the paper in the exact same spot everytime, then, for no reason whatsoever, climb the steps to my sims' houses, and stand next to the front door (so close that they clip through it) for a full minute real time, like they want in the house or something, before apparently getting fed up and leaving. It's actually a bit creepy at times, and is kind of like in some of the older vampire movies, where the vampire can't enter a certain place because they weren't invited in, so they just stand there or otherwise try to intimidate the person into letting them in.
I'm begining to think that I should start taking better advantage of my own downloaded sim bomb and kill the little creepers with fire.
Instructor
#21 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 1:29 PM
Default Wait!
Before you do anything drastic like that, it sounds like your delivery person is doing what he/she should be doing, just in the wrong order. On any lot where the house is single story, with no foundation, I have never had any trouble with the little cretins-they will come down the sidewalk, walk up to the front door, drop the paper, and then return to the sidewalk where they will loiter about for a short time, then continue on their way. I think they are waiting for a tip, or at least acknowledgement of their futile existence.

At any rate, have you tried the "Batbox" Lot Debugger from MATY? It sounds like what you are experiencing is a simple glitch.

What those little demons have done to me is criminal, therefore I have resorted to stronger measures.
Inventor
#22 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 1:40 PM Last edited by jodemilo : 6th Sep 2010 at 2:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by anothereyjana
and stand next to the front door (so close that they clip through it) for a full minute real time, like they want in the house or something, before apparently getting fed up and leaving.

I think Maxis did that in case there's a sad ol' sim living on their own and needs someone to talk to - it gives them a window of opportunity to chat up newspaper girl/boy Gary Glitter style.

Before I installed some kind of mod to stop trees catching fire (can't remember which one though), it would drive me insane having a sim buy a business with trees, say, on the corner to give some kind of decoration, and then spend most of the store opening hours running around trying to put out fires and seeing customer rating go down dramatically as a result. I remember one session when one tree burnt down and I was muttering to myself "I'll be damned if the rest of those expensive trees get burnt too!" and quickly grabbed them and put them in the owner's inventory. Of course the bad witch didn't help either, which is why she's permanently banned from all my comm lots.

I mean, how many times have you see trees burn to the ground down the street where you live? Never. Similarly with the frequency of cookers catching fire in the Sims. How often does that happen in real life unless you're a complete retard? :P
Instructor
#23 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 1:45 PM
Default *Pffffft* Now, get over here and clean the coffee off my monitor!
Gary Glitter? Jo, you are the cat's ass, I tell you.

And as far as the frequency of fires in the kitchen, in real life they don't happen that often. But you do have to admit, when some smarmy Sim manges to kill him or herself while making a grilled cheese sandwich, it is downright hysterical.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 3:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kneon_Knight
Gary Glitter? Jo, you are the cat's ass, I tell you.

And as far as the frequency of fires in the kitchen, in real life they don't happen that often. But you do have to admit, when some smarmy Sim manges to kill him or herself while making a grilled cheese sandwich, it is downright hysterical.
Its even funnier when they have a high cooking skill.