Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 1:26 PM
Default Is it safe to build a house ou of greenhouse walls/roof
I have an alien town and i made alien looking houses out of greenhouse walls and roofs. Will that kill my sims?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 1:38 PM
If you have seasons; probably at some point when you least expect it. No seasons installed, nope no risk. I have sims living outdoors with no shelter. XD Enviroment scores might tank though.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Test Subject
#3 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 1:52 PM
I think it wouldn't be any kind of problem actually, though, I've never tried:D
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 2:24 PM
If she doesn't have Seasons, she doesn't have a greenhouse.

The greenhouse should protect from cold (that's what they're for, after all) but will not protect from heatstroke. If you look at Cyjon's extremely useful study of how death works in Sims2, you'll see that cold does not kill sims directly; apparent "freezing to death" is due to hunger depletion. Heatstroke also has a very small chance of causing spontaneous combustion. The biggest danger from heatstroke is the removal of children by the social worker. If you decide to go with greenhouse residences, make sure to supply plenty of sinks and lemon juice to cool down the kids in the summer. Heatstroke and freezing also reduce motive bars, which makes the sim more vulnerable to a fatal result from shock, hail, Murphy bed, etc.
http://drupal.cyjon.net/node/268

The easiest way to make greenhouses livable all year round would be to set all the seasons to spring and fall, when temperature extremes are unlikely. But that may not suit you. Another method would be to make your aliens all plantsims, for whom greenhouse living should be optimal, but that would be a pretty drastic approach.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
#5 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 3:28 PM
Or just get the recent hack by mootilda that keeps the sims average temperature at green no matter what. then you should have no problem at all.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 5:15 PM
You could also stick a pool on the lot somewhere. They're pretty good at keeping sims' temperatures down.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 5:27 PM
I find it irritating to play greenhouse rooms because the walls do not go down. I would suggest using some CC windows to get exotic building effects for the lots you plan to seriously play. LetheS has made a set of windows/doors/roof pieces that let you build green house looking structures. Just remember that you need a 'real' roof of floor tiles under her roof pieces to stop the weather from coming in.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 5:31 PM
there is an object at simlogical that acts like an air conditioner, sims who feel hot will autonomously go under it to cool down, and those who feel hot will autonomously go under it to warm up, here: http://www.drealm.info/simlogical/s...s2_Voyaging.htm
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 11:00 PM
To answer a question, yes i have seasons
@ Peni Griffin- Ahh i never thought of making it only spring and fall. It could work, though because its an alien town: who knows what goes on there.
@ el_fel- pools; good idea, wouldnt have thought of that
@bluetexasbonnie- The walls go down for me, just not cutaway
2 mmaa- thanks for the download, i'll def. consider that
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 11:19 PM
your welcome Octavia, but i think you need to use the moveobjects cheats to place it, since its not going to be considered as indoor.

i also have a question, is there a way to get light to enter through the glass roof inside a normal-walled house?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
your welcome Octavia, but i think you need to use the moveobjects cheats to place it, since its not going to be considered as indoor.

i also have a question, is there a way to get light to enter through the glass roof inside a normal-walled house?

ok its fine with me
i thought it just comes in like a window because someone on another thread was talking about plantsims and was saying that if you change the roof to glass it would raise the sun meter.

Oh, and if anyone else was building glass houses, they get very expensive so you're prob gonna have to use familyfunds to move someone in.