Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#276 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 3:40 AM
I seem to recall Mootilda saying something about corruption by them even being in the simbin of a hood. I certainly could be wrong though. Yet another thread to be found to copy and paste what Moo said.

Alpal The UC comes patched so you're all good there.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#277 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:30 AM
They won't corrupt from the bin. They only corrupt if allowed to be born. Terminating the pregnancy or leaving them in the bin is safe.
Test Subject
#278 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:56 AM Last edited by Enpodaria : 11th Jan 2015 at 11:51 AM.
To be honest, I don't think the Ottomases are as ugly as they are said to be. Except Dora and of course, the hellspawn twins. Perhaps It's the defaults I use but I think they are all quite nice looking, especially Samantha.
Alchemist
#279 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 10:43 AM
By letting them rot in the family bin
Forum Resident
#280 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 3:17 PM
I have UC, but I use HP's Megahood and I'm not sure that that was built with a patched version or not. So, I terminated the pregnancy and got her pregnant again just to be safe.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Mad Poster
#281 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425
"Dora's genetics and facial structure are the result of the genetic combination of Peter and Samantha."
From The Sims wiki,

I always found that rather strange.
One of the twins ended up being identical to Dora though, which was kinda cute. It's hard to get Sims looking identical to their grandparents, being that facial structures don't skip a generation (from what I know of). Although I don't like having identical sims, it's kinda cute to have a sim with a little 'mini-me'. I gave Robin (Ottomas twin) the same hairstyle as Dora and everything.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#282 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 5:10 PM
Even in an unpatched game, manually assigning the correct father on the pregnancy controller in SimPE ought to fix the Critturs and Samantha.

Ought to.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#283 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 2:54 AM
On the Family Loading Screen, I always think it looks like Dora has a moustache.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#284 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 3:23 AM
^Yes^

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#285 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 9:34 PM
Before this thread I had no idea this family was a ugly glitch fest. The pregnancy came out fine and the family tree for the kids seemed normal. Here is my experiences with them.
I move them into the Victorian Value premade lot. Their eldest son went to college, he spontaneously combusted. The grandmother died soon after from old age. Sharla grew into a teen. The toddler and the twins (at the time all kids) were taken away by the social worker because I forgot to season proof the upper floor and their temps were overheating. After that I moved the remaining three (Peter, Samantha and Sharla) to a smaller house. Sharla goes off to college, P&S move to another house where they have another child. Currently Sharla is on her own, married with two kids and P&S are recent elders raising up the heir to their house.
Now to figure how to spring the three kids from stasis...I mean foster care without redrawing the family tree.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#286 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 9:40 PM
Are you fully patched? Sims should not combust if you have the Seasons patch on.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#287 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 11:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Are you fully patched? Sims should not combust if you have the Seasons patch on.

So that's not an official death?
Field Researcher
#288 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

The seasons patch actually lowers the chance of spontaneous combustion, does not completely eliminate it. Overheated sims may still combust.

I'm a young adult in poor health, trying to heal enough to complete my goals.
This is the song that never ends ~ It goes on and on my friends ~
my first ToT Challenge (which is actually indefinitely hiatus, I'm in a different TOT hood now)
Test Subject
#289 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 4:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dunbrine47
Now to figure how to spring the three kids from stasis...I mean foster care without redrawing the family tree.

If you use a modded object or the tombstone of L&D you can add the children to the family with their family ties still intact. Its only when you adopt them that these ties break. Or at least that's been my experience.
Mad Poster
#290 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 6:01 AM
Well, maybe they were the culprits that blew up my unpatched, unsafe, vanilla unmodded hood after 4 years - by then, of course, these twins went through Uni, got married, had children, and grandchildren. I liked them a lot - they had enormous personalities. @PeniGrifin; @Joandsarah77
Field Researcher
#291 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 6:48 AM
I'm surprised at how many people play their game unpatched. It kills me that EA thought it was totally fine to release a game in which the premade families they provide for you to play corrupt the game if you freaking play them
I just reinstalled and added the rest of the EPs so I haven't played the Ottomas family yet, but I looked them up on SimsWiki and they're no uglier than any other EAxis sims. Dora's funny-looking, but I've seen WAY fuglier townies. Peter and the kids look normal. Samantha's face is shaped a little funny but I think she's cute, honestly. And makeovers are good.
I love watching SIms videos on Youtube and laughing at the players killing their sims, but I've never killed any myself. Granted I never did much actual gameplay (something I'm going to change this time). But I just don't have it in me to kill off sims unless I really hate them. I didn't even hate the townies that picked fights with my playables enough to. Well, I'm going to have to try, because I want zombies in my new game.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#292 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 7:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nottakenaway
The seasons patch actually lowers the chance of spontaneous combustion, does not completely eliminate it. Overheated sims may still combust.

Well it must be very low odds like death by satellite or something as I've never had a sim combust and die from overheating except once before the Seasons patch came out. Any sim that gets over hot simply faints or gets very red and I've had a lot of those especially in my Test of Time challenge hood, as all four seasons are set to summer.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#293 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 7:20 AM
The reasons for playing an unpatched game, @arwentroi, vary from having such an unstable internet at one point that it was better to have none at all. There are patches, of course, when you buy the ep's and sp's. When I finally had uncapped, stable internet - i immediately patched my game. Now I have UC, which is fully patched anyway.

Yet I played the same hood in my unpatched game for 4 years, Ottomas and all. Samantha is pretty. David grows up quite handsome. Dora is actually a real darling, and I kept her alive with plenty of elixir of life for the duration of my unpatched hood (which finally vanished one day). I might do that again
Field Researcher
#294 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 7:59 AM
Ah, okay, I can understand if your Internet is screwy, I've been there. Did your Samantha have the twins, or did you use a mod to end the pregnancy in case it would break the game?

My old game didn't need patching because I have Deluxe and Best of Business, which were both released after the patches for NL and OFB. I'm sure I unknowingly did some things that caused corruption, but I ran it for 5 or 6 years with no major problems. I made sure to patch the rest of the EPs right when I installed this time. Stuff like spontaneous Sim combustion worries me.
Mad Poster
#295 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 9:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by arwentroi
Ah, okay, I can understand if your Internet is screwy, I've been there. Did your Samantha have the twins, or did you use a mod to end the pregnancy in case it would break the game?

My old game didn't need patching because I have Deluxe and Best of Business, which were both released after the patches for NL and OFB. I'm sure I unknowingly did some things that caused corruption, but I ran it for 5 or 6 years with no major problems. I made sure to patch the rest of the EPs right when I installed this time. Stuff like spontaneous Sim combustion worries me.

Samantha had the twins I had no mods at all - I once downloaded a lot and a couple of outfits with the screwy internet. My hood lasted more than 4 years. Not only did I not patch it, I did plenty of the things one is not supposed to do (perhaps all of them)! Plenty of things did go wrong in my hood but I sort of played around it. (You know - Sim cannot clean up the dirty plate, let's move! Sim is being bugged by ghosts - let's delete the graves! Etc. Etc.) One night I saved my game and went to sleep. The next day my hood was gone I still think it lasted long, though, under the circumstances - I had 191 families in my main hood; 55 in my business hood and had sent every single teen townie to Uni too. And it was still the best hood I EVER had.
Mad Poster
#296 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 10:37 AM
They make extreme toddler face crunch which is why people think they are ugly. The toddlers grow into their faces at teenhood if not childhood. It's just two badly matched facial templates. It's not ugly as such IMO, it's more that they look unlike any human bone structure which makes them a bit scary.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#297 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 2:28 PM
In fairness to the programmers, we don't know what kind of time constraints were placed on their testing, and the fact that pregnancy controllers of pregnant sims created in subhoods (such as the stealth hoods) would not change the ID number of the father correctly are exactly the sorts of details that can be overlooked without extensive playtesting.

Programming does not work in intuitive ways. The more complex the programming, the more unintended consequences there will be. And when the business managers are in charge of the schedules, corners get cut.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#298 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 5:48 PM
I had the "Sim can't clean dirty plate" thing happen, too. I forced error on the Sim and that seemed to fix it. I think I deleted one of my CAS sims from the bin, too. I constantly had the "blank want slot" bug, I'm not sure if that's a sign of corruption or just a glitch. It made dates very difficult. I had one bizarre problem where a lot turned into what looked like a flat mirror. I remember Mootilda helped me with that one, it had something to do with the neighborhood terrain level.

@Peni: Yeah, I admit I was being pretty harsh. I should know better. Programming is beyond the scope of my knowledge (I tried taking a course in college before I changed my major, I failed miserably). I'm having a hard enough time understanding how to use clean and empty 'hood templates to generate my EAxis hoods the way I want.
Forum Resident
#299 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 6:06 PM
I tried out the Ottomas finally. I screamed.

Dora- What's WRONG with her face?! She looks like a skeleton! The dress is ugly, and the hair is just so.. (shivers) Die soon, please. Please.
Samantha- What a pretty little thing! How could that ever be?! Oh my, so pretty for a maxis-made playable! If Peter and you end up having ugly kids, I'm sending you off to marry Don Lothario or someone! Think of all the beautiful babies! You could have a 100 babies! Hair needs some changing, but I don't know what you will look like when you are done with that twin pregnancy of your's. Please not be an ugly dress like Dora.
Peter- Eww- that outfit. You look like a sweaty, basketball player. Changing time! Omg.. what am I to do with that squirrel sitting on the top of your mouth? I can't even see your face!
That Teen Who's Name I Cannot Remember- Well, not TOO bad. That outfit.. Ugg. Why do I have to spend 10,000 simoleons on new outfits? Ugg.
Sharla- I hate your hair but your outfit's not bad and you are a pretty little thing. New hair- bam! You look like a pageant winner!
Twins- I have yet to see their faces. I am crossing my fingers for cute little things.
Mad Poster
#300 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425
Dora- What's WRONG with her face?! She looks like a skeleton! The dress is ugly, and the hair is just so.. (shivers) Die soon, please. Please.

I actually really like Dora's face. Given the right hair and make-up, she looks very presentable. I only have a picture where I've used default replacement skin and eyes, but even without them Dora looks very graceful. I think I got the idea from Peni to try her with shorter hair and glasses, and it really really works.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Page 12 of 15