Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 1:47 PM
Default Is temperature broken, in your opinion?
It is the supposed condition with seasons that sims can get sick, freeze, heat stroke due to temperature. In all my time in Pleasantview, my sim has never had any good or bad reaction to temperature. He has been out swimming in the winter but his thermometer stays comfy. The only time he heats up is when he is in the hot tub. The intent was for seasons to affect sims in a radical way, but imo not enough. Or perhaps it depends on which lot and which neighborhood? As it stands, the thermometer and weather seems innocuous.

Do you think temperature should be more effective on sims. Or perhaps it used to be too severe and was nerfed in a later patch?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 1:54 PM
Well for the pools, they're heated so swimming in the middle of winter is not going to do anything. Having them lounge by the pool in middle of winter might work better. Keep them outside for a snowball fight, snowman building etc. For overheating, have the kids jump on the bed, put someone on a exercise machine etc.
Test Subject
#3 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 1:58 PM
I have sunburns very often in my game if you have BV then go to a beach lot and sunbathe for a long time.And if you want to be freezing just play in the snow for couple of hours.

It is nice to meet a person who can afford a million second chances but sticks to the firs one.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 2:29 PM
I've noticed that Sims are more likely to overheat on the exercise bike than on the other workout machines.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 2:36 PM
I think the way they have done the temperature is just right. I've had sunburn, passing out from the heat and turning blue from cold. It doesn't happen excessively, nor does it only happen by going to extreme measures (like sitting in the snow in their undies). I once couldn't figure out why my sims' children were overheating in their bedrooms, but after some investigation I found that because it was an attic room there weren't four walls so the game classed it as outside. Bizarre.
Inventor
#6 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 2:40 PM
Interesting bit of facts on the Seasons temperatures can be read at MATY. http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,7656.0.html

kittens!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 3:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
I think the way they have done the temperature is just right. I've had sunburn, passing out from the heat and turning blue from cold. It doesn't happen excessively, nor does it only happen by going to extreme measures (like sitting in the snow in their undies). I once couldn't figure out why my sims' children were overheating in their bedrooms, but after some investigation I found that because it was an attic room there weren't four walls so the game classed it as outside. Bizarre.

I noticed that too--and in real life attics can get hot. And you can't usually put a ceiling fan in them.

I had a child Sim with that issue, so I moved his bedroom downstairs.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 3:49 PM
It was hilarious, they kept turning red and passing out. I had to get their mum to throw water over them lol.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 4:02 PM
Eh, easy way to overheat a sim is to make them drink 2 glasses of tomato juice. I had that happen once, in the summertime and I had no idea back then that tomato juice makes their temperature rise Woopsie! And lemonade makes them cold if their temperature is normal before they drink it.

MaraLetsPlay on Youtube - Sims Let's Plays and Livestreams
Mara @ LJ - Downloads and stories
TS2 Patch and Pre-made Sim Archive | TS2 Townie/NPC Archive | TS3 Pre-made Sim Archive
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 6:47 PM
I'm being unfair then. I'm assuming that an hour in the snow in regular clothes should be enough to cripple my sim with fever and green, productive cough. This is because he will switch to a bright yellow and gray overcoat to step outside and get the mail, that it insinuates a strict dress code for the weather at all times. And an expectation that an hour in the heat of awful sun, much like this miserable summer, will fine a heavy tax on energy. And when I don't see the cost of consequence by temperature immediately it seems that the thermometer allows a wide margin for leisure in any weather condition. But to be fair, I have only been playing this sim at his small but suitable home and at his business that I'm just losing interest in. I have all the expansions plus celebration stuff, so I have not even played a quarter of what the full game has to offer.

Sorry, but must be alone when I say I'm not impressed with Seasons yet. And I don't understand, at this point, why Seasons is held as the single best expansion for TS2.
Inventor
#11 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 7:17 PM
Opinions vary greatly on the best expansion pack for TS2. Every player plays differently and will enjoy different aspects of each expansion. Personally, seasons is my favorite because it brought so much to the game in terms of play for every family. It really brought the game to life for me, with weather and a sense of time actually passing. When I play TS3, weather is the thing I miss the most. I also really love gardening and fishing, almost all of my families have at least a small garden plot, or orchard trees or a pond to fish in.

kittens!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 8:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Maranatah
Eh, easy way to overheat a sim is to make them drink 2 glasses of tomato juice. I had that happen once, in the summertime and I had no idea back then that tomato juice makes their temperature rise Woopsie! And lemonade makes them cold if their temperature is normal before they drink it.

I found that out by accident. The lemonade, that is.

I never have them put tomatoes in the juicer. That's only good for winter time, and even then you have the Perfect Packets hot chocolate maker. I just have them sell the tomatoes. You stock the fridge with them, and let's just say your Sims had better have Hunger down near red before eating something...it makes mac and cheese fill you up as much as lobster thermidor!
Scholar
#13 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 10:52 PM
I forgot about one child yesterday and he got heatstroke One second after the warning (before I could get him inside!) all my children got taken away, including the babies that were just being born! *cries*
At least I had aged my favourite child to a teenager...
Instructor
#14 Old 25th Aug 2010 at 8:51 AM
Default Yah, broke
The heat stroke mechanic is broke. Your sims can have heatstroke from less than 10 minutes real time in the hot tub or working out on the bike and/or treadmill. Clothing affects this-but don't worry, exercise suits are exercise suits, regardless of how skimpy.

Best bet...get twojeffs Sim Blender from Simbology. It has the option to reset temperature for everyone on the lot. And, since the hot tub is one of the major social builders, it only makes sense.