Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 5:31 PM
Default Should I trust Future Shop?
If you don't know what Future Shop is, it's a popular electronics store chain in Canada and I believe the US.

Anyways, I got a Future Shop gift card, and since they rarely have any Sims 2 games in their store, I was thinking of buying one from their website.

On their website, it says they have "The Sims 2 : In Season (PC)"

If they're talking about the Seasons expansion pack, well it's very weird that they got the title wrong, and they don't even have a picture of the product. Here's the link...

Future Shop - The Sims 2: In Season (PC)

Should I trust this? I mean it is the official Future Shop website, not like Amazon or anything where people can rip you off, but I just find it funny that they have the title wrong, and no picture... But they have all the info of the expansion pack right.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 5:34 PM
Um... wow. That's full of... weird.

Are you looking for a French version, though? - because Seasons' French title may well be "En saison" (In Season), and the game is marked as the "Version française".

ETA:
Flipping through the rest of the French version of the Sims games, I noticed some were totally in French, others were in English titles with "French Version" marked - and I noticed Sims 3 Late Night was translated to "Acces VIP"... so maybe it's just a sign that whoever loads the products is REALLY inconsistent with their titles?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 6:20 PM
^ I was also thinking that perhaps it was just a translation error. Does the site do returns? If so you could order it and if it's not right then you can return it.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 7:14 PM
I'm pretty sure you can return it in store if anything. Maybe it's one of those combo packs like University+Ikea? Usually for the French items on the site, it gives the full French name with no translation.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 7:24 PM
Seasons currently has no combo pack. Only combo packs right now are Fun With Pets, Best of Business and the University one I can't remember the name of.
Test Subject
#6 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 10:26 PM
Yes, Future Shop is owned by Best Buy, but was originally a Canadian store. And, the copy you linked to is the French version of Seasons. So, unless you parlez vous en francais, I wouldn't buy it. But, you can trust Future Shop, it's a very reputable company.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 10:48 PM
On the left of the product info it says "Fr. PC Games - Q-S" so I'm assuming the Fr. means that it's french

You gonna do something killer?
C'mon give it a try...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 4:37 AM
But even if it was in French you should be able to install in in any language you want. My games are all Finnish but I'm still allowed to choose the language the game installs in, it's just that the manual is then in Finnish.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 7:02 AM
I suppose you're right with the whole French version thing. I went on the BestBuy website (which owns the Future Shop chain), and I saw that they had the actual Seasons expansion pack in English and everything, so I bought it just now online with my Future Shop gift card.

I sure hope it went through properly. I've never bought anything online before, and I'd really like to get that Sims 2 Seasons expansion pack and the second season of Ghost Whisperer that I ordered. :P

Have any of you had problems with buying online?
Instructor
#10 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 11:35 PM
It looks like In Season was an early working title for Seasons. Posts and articles from 2006 use it as the name of the upcoming rumoured weather expansion.

For what it's worth, I used to work for a big company that had an online store, and I was responsible for uploading product images and sometimes descriptions. In general, rely on the title before the description or the image -- the title is usually linked to the ISBN (or whatever code is attached to a non-book product). If there's a universal number like that you can often google it and find out what the product is, but I see in this case there's only an internal Future Shop item number. It's common for the wrong description or image to be attached to an item, but the title is the title.

@ForeverCamp: regarding inconsistency in translated titles, that's not uncommon or even wrong. Sometimes an English title when translated directly into French will make no sense, so the title is just changed to something that has the same connotations in French as the English title would in English. For example, here in Canada, Doritos "Late Night" tortilla chip line has the French name of "Nuit Blanche". That literally means White Night if you translate it to English. Apparently that's a name for a kind of all-night festival that started in France, and it colloquially means something like all-nighter or sleepless night.
Scholar
#11 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 12:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimMegaptera
@ForeverCamp: regarding inconsistency in translated titles, that's not uncommon or even wrong. Sometimes an English title when translated directly into French will make no sense, so the title is just changed to something that has the same connotations in French as the English title would in English. For example, here in Canada, Doritos "Late Night" tortilla chip line has the French name of "Nuit Blanche". That literally means White Night if you translate it to English. Apparently that's a name for a kind of all-night festival that started in France, and it colloquially means something like all-nighter or sleepless night.

Yeah. Being Canadian myself, I've seen quite a few of those cases over the lifetime. Sometimes the fun part is seeing how the words change in translation. I was speaking a little more to the fact that the labelling wasn't consistent (some games were marked, for example, "Open for Business: French Version" and others were marked "Les Sims 3: Inspiration Loft Kit" instead of the English title) - but thanks for the random tidbit of info about "nuit blanche", very interesting!