Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#101 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 10:31 PM
Nuidaforever, Welcome! We shan't run you off here I think the challenge is amenable to a modern setting and/or off-world setting. The main point is to try to "beat the system" so as iCad says, what system you're trying to beat is more or less up to you, but you may need to do some modifying to get it work the way you want it to--let us know how it goes!
Advertisement
Instructor
#102 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 11:34 PM
Ha! Ha! Hi VT! Nice to hear from a VPC buddy! I think you will like this challenge -- the scope of it is right up your alley and with your incredible imagination I can't wait to see what you make of this challenge!!! From reading this thread you will see that lots of other people have put their own stamp on the challenge, and that's what I find so interesting, personally. I am playing it in my game as rennaisance/medieval, because I have been wanting to play a challenge and 'hood in that genre for quite a while. If I get this one untangled, mayhap I won't even buy The Sims Medieval and save myself some money, eh?!
Let us know when you have time to get around to joining us with your take on the challenge, I will look forward to it!
Cheers, Vllygrl
Test Subject
#103 Old 11th Feb 2011 at 4:48 PM
Just a quick question : i don't understand very good what you mean by "secure an apprenticeship" and "Positions below entry level for degree holders may be secured by members of the class who have not finished a degree at university". What mean SECURE in that sentences?
Test Subject
#104 Old 11th Feb 2011 at 10:47 PM
Can you give links to the custom content needed because I have most but not all. Please!!!!
Banned
#105 Old 11th Feb 2011 at 11:31 PM
oh dear
Instructor
Original Poster
#106 Old 11th Feb 2011 at 11:43 PM
Louhema, "secure" simply means here to attain or to arrange, but in the sense that you have to exchange something for the right to be the apprentice. In this sense, "secure" simply means to procure an appointment, or perhaps to guarantee an arrangement, or contract between participating members.

dayshababy, what cc are you looking for? I might be able to help with some things ... and there are certainly others here who probably know more than I do ... can you be more specific?
Test Subject
#107 Old 11th Feb 2011 at 11:46 PM
The ones mentioned needed for this challenge!
Instructor
Original Poster
#108 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 12:35 AM
Which ones? Specifically.
Test Subject
#109 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 3:21 AM
Since I had nothing better to do...

Simlogical School Table

Simlogical Teleporter

ACR and Simblender

Inteen

Realistic Sickness

And I use Dolphin26's Control This Sim instead of the mirror, much more convenient.
Test Subject
#110 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 3:28 AM
well this too complex for me but thanks for da links
Instructor
#111 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 10:17 PM
Hi M3g7e,
Just another thought I am struggling with:

Serf families are already at $20,000+ right out of the chute (er, CAS I mean, heh, heh!) because creating a husband and wife couple gives you $25,000 so even buying a 3x3 lot and using the remaining funds to build and furnish their home, then make a garden and pond, the total net worth of house/lot and family funds will still equal $25,000. Earlier in this thread, you clarified that Serfs would have a net worth of $0-$20,000 and Peasants would have a net worth of $21,000-$50,000.
Therefore, CAS Serfs instantly qualify to move up to Peasant Class, since their net worth falls within $21,000-$50,000, having effectively skipped over the Serf Class. So for all intents and purposes, there would be no serfs.
Am I misinterpreting this somehow? I have re-read the challenge document and this thread several times, but I feel like I am missing something! Help!
Thanks, Vllygrl
Instructor
Original Poster
#112 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 10:39 PM
Technically, you are quite right. I reduced the amount of money given my starter families to bring them under the $20K mark using familyfunds. I think this should probably be clarified in the challenge. Also, it is quite possible that children moving out from an existing family will be serfs if their parents don't award them ample startup funds, i.e. through a dowry or inheritance, or if they don't marry a wealthy sim, in the case of a young woman. It means keeping mum and dad happy in wealthy families since being disinherited would have dire consequences!

Pearlie, Thanks for doing the legwork! Incidentally, the Teleporter also has a select this sim option and allows you to select anyone on lot. It does mean placing the object on every lot (unlike the Control this Sim hack), but you probably want this one anyway for, well, teleporting peeps. I always wonder if my sims go to someone else's house and think, "wow! I have the very same fake plants, cat statue, and black bat box in my backyard too! In fact, so does everyone in Warwickshire! Wonder what that's about??"
Instructor
#113 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 11:38 PM
Ah! Thank you, M3g7e! I had considered upping the ante for Serfs to say, a $30,000 threshhold as opposed to $20,000, but reducing their funds right off the get-go makes more sense. How much specifically do you reduce starting funds for your starter families?
And if only it worked the same for RL children to want to keep their RL parents happy as it does in the Warwickshire challenge, eh?
Instructor
#114 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 9:02 PM
Helllloooooo, out there! Anyone still playing this challenge????
Test Subject
#115 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 1:37 AM
I'm still here! I restarted the challenge, and I'm working on a weebly. I'm much happier with the way things are going this time around. Unfortunately, my peasant still hasn't found a wife, and he's getting old!
Instructor
#116 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 5:59 PM
Oh good, Cococure! I was starting to feel lonely! Yes, I too am still tweaking my game as I go along and figure things out -- it is hard to keep track of some of it, but I'm getting better at it -- for instance, tracking royal and clerical points and aspirations, etc. Also, I found I had to hire a nanny "just for now" to be the midwife, because my witch midwife would not show up if the birth happens at night, plus even with hacks, I could not make the midwife do much at all. At least with the ea nanny, once I make her selectable, I can actually get her to feed, bathe, change diapers, cook and clean, etc., and once I also made her dig for treasure, which more than paid for her fees!

I have also had to rebuild my serf starter lot, and got the purchase price to $13,999. I can then move in a CAS serf couple and delete the rest of their funds so they are truly starting out poor, then they have to earn $7000 in order to make it to Peasant. AND I have continued to refine all my tracking sheets. What else have you been doing in your game?
Cheers, Vllygrl
Instructor
Original Poster
#117 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 6:47 PM
I have had to restart too. I decided this time round to create more of the social infrastructure and have more people in higher social stations than the first time. I'm hoping that this will give my poorer sims some rungs to climb up on and also make it a little more realistic. It didn't quite work last time to have only a King and Queen and serf/peasant families. So far, no deaths in the nh, but it is still in its infancy, so we'll see. Vllygrl, I also make my midwife selectable with the teleporter. I find that if I do that she can't run away, regardless of what time it is
Field Researcher
#118 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 11:52 AM
I'm still here too! I've just been finishing up my higher-priority Sim projects. I'm almost ready to start on this one.

I've decided to go with a chaotic jumble of themes, genres and styles I call 'alternative cyber steampunk fantasy space western'. My starting Sims will be a group of colonists from the Zephona Empire, on a mission to settle the newly discovered planet Sharadon. Sharadon is a fairly desolate and very cold planet, but it is rich in kutraxium (a rare substance of great importance to the Zephona Empire) and the herds of strange creatures that live on the planet are also useful to the colonists, so rather than farming, the serfs will mainly be mining and herding. (This has yet to be tested) I'm also considering changing the role of the merchant class, since I personally hate running businesses.

As someone else suggested (sorry, can't remember who) I've also added an extra group of unmarried women to replace any who die, since my 'no humans without a VERY good reason law' doesn't allow me to marry in townies. Even with these extras in the neighbourhood, I still only have one Family Sim.

I still have to set it up, but I hope I can start it soon.
Instructor
Original Poster
#119 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 12:37 PM
Sounds interesting. How are you managing the "mining"? Will this be digging for treasure?
Instructor
#120 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 10:35 PM
Great to hear from you, M3g7e & VT! Now it's getting cozy in here! So fun to hear everything that's going on! Have a great weekend everyone, sadly I'll be doing report cards, so won't have much playing time.
But anyway,
Cheers, Vllygrl
Instructor
Original Poster
#121 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 12:05 AM
Vllygrl, you need to sim 'n grade: it works, and really lessens the soul suckage that otherwise accompanies that task.
Instructor
#122 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 11:45 PM
ROFL --Ha!Ha!Ha! You got me with that one, M3g7e! I am still chuckling, but nevertheless, I am trying your method with some success I might add! Thanks!
Vllygrl
Instructor
Original Poster
#123 Old 1st Mar 2011 at 2:12 AM
Been doin' it myself for quite a looong while. Takes a bit o' practice, but it works nicely!
Field Researcher
#124 Old 1st Mar 2011 at 9:02 AM
Just to let you know that it could still be a while before I start- I now have to redo my Priority 1 'hood due to glitches, but this is definitely top of the list after I'm done with that. Just be warned that it is very likely to come out completely different to what I said it would be like.

And by the way- thanks a lot for making me print all that out again!

- VT
Instructor
Original Poster
#125 Old 1st Mar 2011 at 4:48 PM
I know--me too, on both counts. Starting over AND reprinting. Yikes. I can, however, guarantee that there won't be any further changes for a while. I'd like to get past step one before I rethink the middle phase again.
Page 5 of 44