Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

AnyGameStarter v. 2.1.3 (for CD/DVD games) * UPD 29 Dec 2017

by Numenor Posted 27th Sep 2007 at 9:41 AM - Updated 28th Dec 2017 at 11:28 PM by Numenor

516 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 473 Feedback Posts, 42 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 21
Alchemist
#76 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 2:04 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 30th Dec 2008 at 2:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
(...) - in (Documents)\BaseGameStarter\AppFiles there are two files, named "Start_BaseGame.bat" and "StartBaseGameLog.txt";
- in (Documents)\BaseGameStarter\BaseGame\EA Games\The Sims 2 there is a file named "groups.cache".
Please check if the three files are there; if not, run the base-only BGS game once more and check again.

Another solution may be that the installer has a bug specifically regarding the base-only game, and can't correctly detect that it exists (in your system) and HAS been run. I will check the code for this.

Also, I noticed something wrong in the FT-PermaGame AppFiles that you provided earlier; in my system, the installer doesn't make the same error... Let me investigate more about that: I will ask you more info if needed.

I ran the Basegame-only BGS yesterday. Groups.cache is there, the other two files don't seem to appear exactly as you typed them, although there are some similar names. (screenshot)

I'll run the Basegame again and see if it changes, just in case.

Edit - Basegame ran fine, the file list doesn't seem to have altered.

I have also played my BGS UpToFT game this evening, it ran as usual. I don't have AL or MWG, in case that matters.

Would it help to set up an Anygame with the new AGS? I have held off until I get the old BGS games upgraded properly, but of course I can do it if it would make a difference.
Screenshots
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#77 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 6:31 PM
AELFLAED - The BGS basegame-only has been surely created with an older BGS version (2.2 or older); I didn't take in account the chance that the users may still have BGS games created with older installers, while I should have done.
From my side, I will fix this problem in the next update; you, in the meantime, can simply create a copy of the two files: "Start_Base.bat" and "StartBaseLog.txt", and rename the copies: "Start_BaseGame.bat" and "StartBaseGameLog.txt". This should allow the new AGS installer to convert them to PermaGames.
Another temporary solution is the following:
  • create a standard AnyGame containing the base-game only;
  • convert it to PermaGame;
  • delete the folder (Documents)\AnyPermaGames\PermaGameX\EA Games;
  • copy the folder (Documents)\BaseGameStarter\BaseGame\EA Games to PermaGameX.

Thank you for all the info.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
#78 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 6:46 PM
GeneralOD - The executable for the base game is:
(Program files)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Deluxe\Base\TSBin\Sims2.exe
while the executable for Deluxe (also used for a "OnlyNL" game) is:
(Program files)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Deluxe\EP2\TSBin\Sims2EP2.exe.
As for the Maxis patches, I think that Maxis releases specific patches for Deluxe, that need to be patched just like standard games.
I didn`t know that I *had* those files! I hadn`t snooped that far before. ::blush:: Thank you. As for patches, I never saw any patches for Double Deluxe on their website`s Patch page, and I have seen a few references to the alleged fact that Double Deluxe comes pre-patched. On the other hand, I have visited their site with the in-game browser, with the autopatch mode enabled, so I know I have all relavent patches, even if I don`t know what patches they are.

Heck, the one time I did download a relavent patch after installing a new expansion that I knew needed one, it told me, when I ran it, that my game was already patched! This must have been because, when I ran the game the first time, to re-enable custom content before re-starting to actually play, I also visited their site with the in-game browser before exiting.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Field Researcher
#79 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 7:10 PM
Uninstalled AGS, restarted Windows, reinstalled AGS.

3 AnyGames were newly created.

1. All EPs + SPs up to M&G
2. Only GLS
3. OFB + FT
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: rar AppFiles_02.rar

NO Requests! | How to update fridges/computers to FT | Booty - Get pay items for free!
Check out my Journal for updates on past creations.
Recent Updates: Pie Menu Text Strings Fix | Teen Style Stuff Computer and Stereo Fix | IKEA Home Stuff Objects Fix
Scholar
#80 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 9:24 PM
Mahvelous! Simply Mahvelous! ThankYou Numenor!

Hello, I'm Tiya Marie :)
I Hope You Dance!
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 1:40 AM
After I installed this my regular bodyshop stopped working. Is there any way to fix this?
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 5:24 PM
Green-Eyed-Pixie, it would be worth a look to make sure that your 'regular' Bodyshop is indeed pointing to the correct Bodyshop... There's a Bodyshop in every expansion folder - so if you've just installed M&G, you should browse to C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\CSBin right click on the TS2BodyShop.exe icon and click 'send shortcut to desktop' - just to be sure it's starting the most current bodyshop, and give it some time, the more skins you have the longer it'll take to load...
----------
Numenor, I've just installed and the installer is SO smart!! Yay!!

Here's what I did:

Ran the AGS Standard and made permanent my AGS up to AL; then I ran it again and made permanent my BG1; ran it a third time to create an Anygame up to M&G, then made it permanent... I now also have a Bodyshop for each, which is fantastic! So far my Basegame is intact as it was; same for my Anygame up to AL - intact in it's new folder - seamless!! This was most important to me, as I had object testing currently in progress. I'll post back to let you know if I run into any problems when I try the M&G Anygame...
Um, are you interested in having app files for installations that go successfully?

Thanks so much dear!! Have a safe New Years celebration!
~~hugs and smooches~~
Field Researcher
#83 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 8:44 PM
Liza495 - Thanks for reporting back. So, you have the online version of AL? The AGS is not compatible with online games!
There's a partial workaround (see FAQ A-4), but use it at your own risk.

Yes, I have some EPs bought online from EA Store except the ones until Open for business.

I understand the issue for the online EPs but I can't express it correctly in English. It seems that there is some kind of overwriting or data sharing from EA Games files to the AGS.

Anyway for confirming again that AGS isn't compatibler with online EPs. I thought that just adding a few of mine to the min-game and not all of them would "fix" but it isn't a good idea either.

When I reinstalled my whole game, there were "bribes" missing in each programme folders of each EP and stuff pack and whenI wanted to reinstall the basegame after three trials I got a message saying that I haven't uninstalled all my EPs but I did - So I needed to use Unlocker to remove some files that didn't want to get deleted in spite of uninstalling - of The Sims 2 + EPs and stuff packs.

Maybe this can be useful to know for some other people to add information.
Test Subject
#84 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 10:00 PM
So maybe I'm stupid, but, do I have to have the actual physical disc in the drive in order to play an Anygame relating to a specific EP?

Currently I have all the EP's and all the SP's, up to and including Mansion and Garden Stuff EP. I want to build a house for a friend who only has Base, Uni, Nightlife and Seasons. Do I have to have the Seasons disc? (Asking because looney tunes here loaned it to a mate and it hasn't come back yet..... Grrr Chasing!)
Alchemist
#85 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 11:28 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 1st Jan 2009 at 12:51 AM.
AELFLAED - The BGS basegame-only has been surely created with an older BGS version (2.2 or older); (...)Thank you for all the info.
Oh, that could be it - I did update a few times, but I might have missed one of course. I'll try one of those workarounds then.

And you're welcome!

Edit - the latest version of the BSG I can find in my files seems to be 2.0, in case it's helpful to know.

More Edit - I copied the two files you mentioned, and put the renamed copies into the folder (with the original files still there also). Ran AGS standard. Same screen with base and up to FT pre-selected and unchangeable. Made that permanent. Then tried again with basegame-only option, but it still seems to be trying to copy fullgame files. Errored after a while, saying 'Sims2.reg' does not exist.

I'll try the other method you suggested.

Even more Edit:I successfully created a new, base-only AGS Permagame and copied the EAGames folder across as suggested. When I tried to run it from the icon, I got this error
Quote:
There is something wrong in your save-game folders.
The folder "C:\DOCUME~1\COMPAQ~1\MYDOCU~1\AnyPermaGames\PermaGame2\EA Games\The Sims 2" does not exist,
or it's not the one set up by the installer.
Naturally it isn't the one created by the installer, since I just swapped it as directed.

Attaching the Appfiles from that Permagame. The folder still contains subfolders for various EPs, screenshot included. The Downloads in those subfolders contain CC from the BGS, not my fullgame, thankfully.

Should I reinstall, restart, or anything like that?

Presumably the easiest fix is to give up on that Basegame and have a totally new one. That's not impossible; I can package the test lots, and the rest I probably don't need anyway. I'm persevering on principle really, because the next person with my setup might desperately want to keep their old setup.

The latest Permagame1 still won't load either. Appfiles attached.
Screenshots
File Type: rar AppFilesPermagame2.rar
File Type: rar AppFilesPermagame1.rar
Alchemist
#86 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 11:33 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 31st Dec 2008 at 11:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Anghara
So maybe I'm stupid, but, do I have to have the actual physical disc in the drive in order to play an Anygame relating to a specific EP?

Since I know the answer, and think Numenor isn't likely to be around for hours yet, I'll say:

YES, you need the disc to run the appropriate game configuration. Seasons, in this case.

Numenor, correct me if I'm wrong of course, don't mean to tread on any toes. Also, sorry for double-posting, I just didn't think of editing for a completely different message as it seemed.
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 11:58 PM
I have to agree with aelflaed the Anygame/Basegame starter is going to prompt you for the disc for whatever expansion you have it configured 'up to'... It makes me wonder though, how the AGS/BGS would handle one of those 'virtual' cd/dvd drive programs like Daemon (I think is the name)? Don't want to confuse the issue, I just know some folks play with those in lieu of a physical cd drive...
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 12:55 AM
First of all, thank you for writing this program. I would like to use it to set up multiple alternate themed Full Games (e.g. medieval, sci-fi etc.), with their own default replacements and their own mods and hacks that don't affect the main game. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to delete the EA Games folder to start from scratch because of unwanted items that had crept into my game.

I have recently downloaded and used the AnyGameStarter to set up two permanent games. PermaGame 1 is set up as my alternate themed medieval Full Game with all the various mods and hacks I usually install to make my game more playable. PermaGame 2 is set up as a clean test game without any hacks to try out my uploads.

This brings me to my question, and I'm not sure who to ask. Is there a way to use Paladdin's Sims 2 Hack Conflict Detection Utility to scan the downloads folder which is now part of the AnyPermaGames\PermaGame1 directory (or the downloads folder of any future PermaGames) instead of downloads folder of the main game? Or would I have to install the mods and hacks I want to use in the PermaGames to the downloads folder of the main game, run the HCDU and then move the hacks to the PermaGame's downloads folder?
Test Subject
#89 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 1:55 AM
I don't understand: your "full" game starts correctly, and you can see all the custom objects, but your custom sims disappeared? Or you don't see in the full game the neighborhoods you used to play?
Have you tried what I suggested earlier, i.e. start the AGS installer without actually installing any game?

---------------------------------------------------------------

You too, should run again the AGS installer in "Standard Mode"; as soon as you see the first page, click Cancel to close it. This should fix your problem.
If not, I will give you instructions to help me understand what's wrong.

Thanks Numenor, but i don't really understand exactly what your telling me to do, I've tried some things but nothing happened. Thanks for your help though.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#90 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 2:40 AM
Lord Darcy, Aelflaed - I'm preparing a new AGS version, that I'd like you both to test. I will send you a PM with the download link as soon as I cope with the New Year's lunches, dinners, family meetings etc... And Aelflaed, thanks for replying to Anghara

Anghara - Aelflaed's reply is correct, you need the disc for the latest EP included in the game you've created (Seasons). Anyway, if you put in the wrong disc, a message will worn you, telling which is the right disc to use.

Groovilicious - Thanks! Let's start the new year with good news, yay! I don0't need the Appfiles, thanks anyway.

Liza495 - I'm not sure to understand all you've written. I'll re-read your post tomorrow morning, when hopefully my mind will work better -
Anyway, if your games, up to OFB, are on disc, you should be able to create an AnyGame including the EPs up to OFB; I'd like to be in condition to test an environment including online games, but of course I can't; sorry if I can't be of great help about this.

mtsimguy - I don't know exactly how Paladin's tool works; I have two suggestions that may work (a test won't harm anyway).
1) Open the PermaGames1\AppFiles folder and double-click on the file "Sims2_PermaGame.reg" (confirm when asked). Then run the Hack Detection tool: probably it will scan the PermaGame1 folder, instead of the normal game. When finished, double-click on the file "Sims2_Full.reg": this is important!

2) The second soluton is less elegant but also less intricate Just move away the Downloads from your full game, and replace it with the Downloads from the PermaGame1; run the tool and then move back both Downloads folders to their original location.

To all the AGS users - Happy New Year!!!

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Alchemist
#91 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 3:09 AM
Thanks, Numenor, I'll wait for that then.
Alchemist
#92 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 12:32 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 1st Jan 2009 at 12:39 PM.
New results...

Install menu has changed, and options can be selected. Created Base-only Permagame from old BGS. Haven't tried to run it yet. I now have two shortcuts on the desktop - PermaBS1, and PermaGame 1 (Basegame).

Created UpToFT permagame also. Three CC files errored, presumably long ones. I clicked 'ignore' and the installation went through. However, when I tried to run it from the desktop icon, I got another error:
Quote:
There is something wrong in your save-game folders.
The folder "C:\DOCUME~1\COMPAQ~1\MYDOCU~1\AnyPermaGames\PermaGame2\EA Games\The Sims 2" does not exist,
or it's not the one set up by the installer.
The only solution is to run the AnyGame Setup again and reinstall this AnyGame.
I haven't done anything more than run the installer.

Edit - Now, when I run the Installer again, it only gives me the option for Basegame, and I can't deselect it (Screen2). I didn't delete the already-created permagames yet. I used the Start menu, but there was no error.txt created.
Screenshots
File Type: rar AppFilesFT.rar
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 1:03 PM Last edited by mtsimguy : 1st Jan 2009 at 1:37 PM.
mtsimguy - I don't know exactly how Paladin's tool works; I have two suggestions that may work (a test won't harm anyway).
1) Open the PermaGames1\AppFiles folder and double-click on the file "Sims2_PermaGame.reg" (confirm when asked). Then run the Hack Detection tool: probably it will scan the PermaGame1 folder, instead of the normal game. When finished, double-click on the file "Sims2_Full.reg": this is important!

Thank you for your quick response. I tried the first option and it worked brilliantly. The Hack Conflict Detection tool scanned the PermaGame1 downloads folder and identified three conflicting hacks. I then used the Clean Installer to remove them.

I then used your procedure to run the Hack Detection utility to scan the PermaGames2 Downloads folder and it picked up the two conflicting social worker hacks I had installed in that directory.

Once again thank you for your help.
Alchemist
#94 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 1:34 PM
Numenor, the base-only Permagame is working normally, although the FT version won't start as reported above. I ran basegame from the desktop, opened a house and checked things looked and moved okay.

And I figured out about the extra icon - it's for Bodyshop, which I didn't mean to install. Must've forgotten to uncheck it.
Field Researcher
#95 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 2:55 PM
Tested again with v2.0.3.

There is still something wrong with Standard Game.
I made a Standard Game with all EPs and SPs. When I double-clicked the icon, my main playing neighborhood was loaded. New AnyGame neighborhood was not created under the AnyGame folder.

GLS-only Mini Game works fine.
OFB+FT Standard Game doesn't work. It complains I should use M&G disk.

And the config of my main playing neighborhood was reset just like a newly created AnyGame. (Graphic setting, Game Tip, sound... everything)
File Type: rar AppFiles_03.rar

NO Requests! | How to update fridges/computers to FT | Booty - Get pay items for free!
Check out my Journal for updates on past creations.
Recent Updates: Pie Menu Text Strings Fix | Teen Style Stuff Computer and Stereo Fix | IKEA Home Stuff Objects Fix
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#96 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 5:04 PM Last edited by Numenor : 1st Jan 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Aelflaed - The converted FT game still doesn't work for the same old reason: the outdated BGS version it was created with. I didn't remember I changed so many things in the later BGS versions I'll fix it and will send you a new link.
As for the other remarks, you guessed right about the second icond being the Bodyshop one (if you see your 1st screenshot, you will se the BodyShop option ticked).
In the second screenshot, there is only the Basegame available, because the FT game was already converted: the old BGS game is not deleted, but the installer remembers that it was already converted, and excludes it from the list. If you want see it again in the list, just run once more the old BGS game. And you can't deselect the Basegame option (still in the last screenshot) because it's the only game available for conversion: if it's not the game you want to convert, you have no choice but CANCEL.

Lord Darcy - I'll examine your files in a moment.

EDIT: Done. My PM to both of you is on its way

Forum Resident
#97 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 11:23 PM
new ags keeps on fooling my vista :(
Hi Numenor!
As promised I formatted my pc and reinstall all I had to - new AGS included
Cute idea to make the user choose which is the correct documents folder (among 4 vista folders) - of course I chose C:All Users\Alisar\Documents\EA Games
My AGS1 is UNI NL OFB CEL BV - standard - minigame. The first time is ok, my full game runs as before; my folder links are the same... I thought - that simple 'choose-the-folder-question' was the solution, then! No! I ran again my AGS1 and now the situation is this:
- in any folder list the folder Documents is now named Anygame1 (but the folder I chose at first installation) and actually its subfolder is AGS EA GAmes - so no more documents
- when I install an application, for example CEP, the default folder is Anygame1 - I have to look for the correct one manually
- when I run my EA GAME (all EPs and SPs but MG) the game run only the eps and sps chosen for AGS1
- when I run SimPE and open a file - it open Anygame 1; when I browse a neighborhood, the only one is AGS1 minigame...

in a few word, of the 2 one: AGS act as the boss of the bosses or my Vista is a bit fooled and confused

The zip contans the appfiles + logfile (it's not in desktop but in AGS1) + screenshots

thank you for your help - hope the attached zip will help
cheers,
Ali
File Type: zip NEWAGS_appfiles-screenshots.zip
Alchemist
#98 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 6:42 AM
The version 203.2 seems to work for me. I deleted the faulty FT permagame, ran the old BSG and then made UpToFT permanent again. Three files reported faulty again, ignored them. The desktop icon opened the game successfully.

I'm attaching another two logs. They may not matter now, but then again...

The first should just indicate that I hadn't yet run the BSG to reset the new installer. The other, I'm not sure exactly at what point of the process it was created, so it might be interesting.

Should I uninstall the BGS now, or is there any more information you need?
File Type: rar AGSinstaller_LogAGS203-2.rar
File Type: rar AGSinstaller_Log203.2b.rar
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 8:38 AM
Numenor, I hope you read comments, I encountered a bug that the shared AnyGames and PermaGames actually delete the windows Shared Documents folder, I also find it rather useless to have a folder in My Computer, can you add a tickbox which asks you if you want to have a shared AnyGame and PermaGame folders.

I really want to use AnyGameStarter, it works alot faster then the normal game
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#100 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 10:11 AM
AELFLAED - Please keep the BGS games installed for another couple days, just in case... Your logs state clearly that the installer could successfully manages file paths up to 256 characters long (excluding the drive letter with its colon and backslash). You too, would had no problems if you didn't create (inside Downloads\Quarantine) a folder "Frogger_NS_2008AdventCalenderGifts_GirlsFlowerRugs" nested inside a folder with the very same name. However, as you already know, clicking Ignore lets the installer complete the conversion, so that you can then move manually the erroneous files.

Thanks for the great help

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALISAR - It's not the first time you have problems with the Documents pats, is it? And in this case, from what I read, you probably helped the AGS with fooling Windows, by providing inaccurate info (but I think you were only jocking...)

First off, let's clear up one important point (at all users' benefit):
the window asking to select the right Documents folder only opens up when there is something wrong in the Registry. Under normal conditions, the user should never see it.
Now, Alisar, you say that you've chosen, as your Documents path:
C:\All Users\Alisar\Documents\EA Games;
if this is not a joke, then you have made several mistakes:
- the folder "All Users\Alisar" should not exist at all; it should be "Users\Alisar" (probably it's just a typo in your post);
- the Documents path should NEVER end with "EA Games"; the installer was asking your personal Documents folder, not for the location of the save-game folder. since you are the second user (that I know of) who misreads the installer's request, I've included a special check in the upcoming AGS v. 2.0.3, so to prevent such mistakes.

That said, I notice from the files included in the AppFiles you provide that the installer could correctly read and set the paths to the Documents folder:
  • personal documents = C:\Users\Alisar\Documents
  • shared documents = C:\Users\Public\Documents
I think that these paths are the right ones... If you confirm this, then the only thing you have to do is to double-click on the file Sims2_Full.reg (located in the AppFiles that you sent me: to be 100%, I'm attaching it to this post, in case you delete that AppFiles folder).
Then, RESTART WINDOWS!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SharonSims2 - the situation you describe is NOT what the AGS is supposed to do. The AGS should not delete the common documents folder, nor create an AGS folder in My Computer.
Actually, I think that - due to a malfunction or misuse of the installer - the common documents folder has been renamed as an AnyGame folder.
The AGS installer should only create its folders into the personal documents folder (NOT the common documents one).
Is it possible that you didn't run the installer as Administrator?

If you want me to help more, please provide, if possible, an AppFiles folder and an install log (read FAQ C-1 and C-2). If you can't, then you should at least tell me the exact path to your personal documents folder, and the path to your common documents folder. Both paths must start with the drive letter.
If you don't want to post them on a public forum (for example, because they contain your real name etc.), then send me a PM with the required info.
File Type: zip For_Alisar.zip

Page 4 of 21