Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 3:16 AM Last edited by k-athleen : 24th Mar 2021 at 8:17 PM. Reason: added v1.2 of the .sc4 terrain!
INTEREST CHECK & SC4 TERRAIN | Penumbra: a dystopian supernatural neighbourhood
Hi everyone! This is my first time using the creator forum, so please forgive me if I make any mistakes

I've been simmering (hah) an idea for a custom neighbourhood! I'm at the very beginning stages of development, where I'm just trying to figure out some very basic specs. Which expansion packs I should build the hood on, how many sims, and lots, and that sorta stuff!

Here are some of the ideas I have for the 'hood! If you're interested, I've linked a Google Form at the end of this post, to collect some data! You can also respond in this forum with any thoughts!

Years ago, Her Highest Lunacy, Queen <NAME> used her power to extinguish the sun, plunging the world into eternal night. Vampires and werewolves thrived, seizing control of society, while humans were left to dwindle away. Modern-day Penumbra features a variety of locales for all varieties of life: Her Lunacy, Queen <NAME> lives in the Lunar Palace, pampered by her servants (who she kindly provides work and accommodation for in her vastly manse), and protected by her werewolf guard. In the outskirts you can find the Plantsim Reserve, a green paradise to accommodate the most underprivileged members of the dark world. All they have to do is stay in the Reserve—the only place in Penumbra equipped with artificial sunlight—and farm for the community. In the urban center of the city, you can find the common people (like that human girl who ran away from the reserve to be with her boyfriend, or that newcomer with the big sunglasses and the green skin that no one can see in the darkness). And hidden in the dingy basement under the abandoned warehouse you can find the mad scientist with his bastardly dastardly creations.

Basically: vampires are classy. Werewolves are brawny. Plantsims (+ their human children) live on a reservation equipped with sunlamps. Humans are disadvantaged at getting work and such, both fromm prejudices and because they are physically weaker. Personal servos are common, and abandoned zombies roam the streets. Many sims have some alien ancestry. One alien has been dispatched from the Intergalactic Simvestigation Bureau to investigate what the fuck is going on in Penumbra.

At least! These are my ideas! I'm looking for some feedback in my interest check before I start developing! My first stage after this will be to arrange the neighborhood terrain, and then to build! In order to help me figure out some specs, I'd appreciate some feedback! Either by filling out my interest check, or by responding in this forum!

Fill out the intereset check here! https://forms.gle/wEMr6HrBneMpWXSR6

You can playtest version 1.2 of the .sc4 terrain here! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UI...iew?usp=sharing
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 4:38 PM
Absolutely fascinating and different! Yes, please!
Forum Resident
#3 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 5:38 PM
Filled out the interest check, here's a couple of additions:

Mods: If you can sell me on them being useful for the neighborhood, I'd probably be interested enough to set up a new game folder for this neighborhood. The nighttime seems like an interesting idea.

Households in the sim bin: I wouldn't mind a new citizen or two in the bin, but I generally prefer having most families in their houses or apartments.

As for the aspiration benefits, maybe select some that make sense for the sim? Leave a few points open so people can add them according to their playstyle.

Also, interest check: very interested
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 6:40 PM
I love the idea and very interested in a dystopian world where it's permanently night, but I don't think there any mods that make it permanently dark.
If you can't make it night all the time I recommend a hack by Monique where it disabled motive decay when vampires are indoors during the day
Also if you add any mannequin sims to this Penumbra you need a hack by bloodredtoe so mannequin babies can be born.

Sometimes I feel like one of the unborn Ottomas twins.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 8:16 PM
.sc4 V1.2
Thank you everyone for your feedback so far!!! I've got a small update!! I've made a .sc4 terrain and it's ready for playtesting! I'm going to playtest it myself, of course, but I'd also like feedback!

I have some questions about it:

Is the distance between roads good?
Are you able to place lots everywhere?
Are there enough roads/is there enough space for hood development?
Is the cliff part with the magically separated road awkward? (I tried having a bridge, but it didn't import correctly)
Is the terrain aesthetically pleasing?

Please let me know what sorts of edits you think I should make!

Download v1.2 of the .sc4 here!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UI...iew?usp=sharing
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rb47798
I love the idea and very interested in a dystopian world where it's permanently night, but I don't think there any mods that make it permanently dark.
If you can't make it night all the time I recommend a hack by Monique where it disabled motive decay when vampires are indoors during the day
Also if you add any mannequin sims to this Penumbra you need a hack by bloodredtoe so mannequin babies can be born.

Looked into modding for the daytime, and it seems like the most . . . effective option . . . would be to do a lighting hack—that that involves installation in program files, which I don't expect anyone to do just for one neighbourhood. The neeext best thing I found was this mod https://modthesims.info/d/238016/la...7-recolors.html which will cause the game clock to skip daytime, effectively making the day 12 hours long. To compensate, I'd have to shove in a tooon of other mods to adjust the timing of other things (school, jobs, aging, relationship decay, newspaper delivery, etc) to make them all occur during the night. I'll experiment with the above mod + this mod https://modthesims.info/d/85710/mer...trol-clock.html and see how functional they are together.

Thanks for letting me know about the mannequin! I haven't evver given a sim the manniquin skin, but now I know I safely can :D