Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

No Car Relationships

by Buzzler Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 5:26 PM - Updated 15th Mar 2014 at 11:27 AM by Buzzler

93 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 59 Feedback Posts, 33 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 4
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#51 Old 24th Apr 2011 at 1:10 PM
You know, the people who are coming to the conclusion that having a "relationship" with a car means you want to "bang" it are the ones who need their heads examined.

People have relationships with vehicles, maybe not in the human sense of the word but they do get sentimental attachments.
Scholar
#52 Old 12th May 2011 at 11:42 PM
I thought it was a weird bug . I wanted to stomp on it and squash it. I'm so relieved that it's just a "feature". Funny, these feature guys at EA.

Thanks for giving me the option to get rid of it.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#53 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 12:47 AM
Thankyou! I don't really mind the relationships, except that the game acts like it is just like any other sim and it freaks me out a little lol(:
Instructor
#54 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 6:44 PM
Oh, thank you, thank you thank you! I've stopped buying my sims cars; this is one of the reasons. That whole car relationship thing should have stuck with the SP, not the patch.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#55 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 5:48 PM
Well I'm gonna make sure not to name my car. And I won't be choosing a favorite either. Lol, now I'm kinda glad I deleted my second legacy. I made one of the kids a vehicle enthusiest. Lol.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#56 Old 28th Aug 2011 at 12:16 PM
EA stuff can be incredibly dumb, for people who crate successful games. -.-
Thanks!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#57 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 9:27 AM
Thanks for this common sense Mod! I know that some people LOVE their cars more than anything else, including their girlfriends and wives, but considering a car, a best friend, is downright stupid!
Test Subject
#58 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 1:18 AM
I will test and report.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#59 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 7:24 AM
I also thought this was a bug. I couldn't comprehend how -- or why -- my sims became "best friends" with their cars. It made absolutely no sense to me at all and seriously annoyed me. I didn't know until right this second that it could be fixed. Thank you very much
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#60 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 3:16 AM
Thanks so much for this. I have always thought it was a seriously lame idea of Sims having a car as their best friend. I wonder which of EA's geniuses thought this us? Anyway, thanks to you we can be rid of that nonsense from our game. Thanks again!
Test Subject
#61 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 12:21 PM
This Mod works with Patch 1.33 too?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#62 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 2:44 AM
I am sadden by the creator of this mod, he's smart and everything but he actually thinks because you have a relationship with something or someone you automatically want to have sex with it.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
Original Poster
#63 Old 16th Apr 2012 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Scionwoods
I am sadden by the creator of this mod, he's smart and everything but he actually thinks because you have a relationship with something or someone you automatically want to have sex with it.
It's called hyperbole.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Instructor
#64 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 5:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Devil.Mag
This Mod works with Patch 1.33 too?

I'd like to know this as well.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#65 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 2:53 AM
Lol, can you marry your car or just have a friendly relationship with it?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#66 Old 19th Jun 2012 at 4:37 PM
Downloaded it, because I hate my sim having a betteer relationship with her car than her family. When I was a teen, I named my first car (worked my A** off to get it) and called it the MoJo Express, because my nickname is Mo and my best friend Jo and I would go looking for excitement.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#67 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 12:53 AM
I like how people got more up-in-arms about this mod than ones that let you kill people and do horrible things. Anyway, thank you for this. If I want a sim to have a relationship with his/her car I'll make him/her a vehicle enthusiast.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#68 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 12:12 AM
The first time I saw a car in my "friends" screen I was confused and speechless. My car... What?! xD I really like the mod, and I definitely don't ever want to befriend a car... or any vehicle for the matter.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 4th Sep 2012 at 6:11 PM
Could you update for patch 1.38
Inventor
THANKS POST
#70 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 2:24 PM
haha, cry for update and a test seems more ... it is like to run under 1.38 , too
Test Subject
#71 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 1:10 AM
I love this mod but it needs to be updated for patch 1.42
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#72 Old 12th Nov 2012 at 9:14 AM
The idea of talking to a motorized method of transportation, giving it a name, as though it was a pet or a relative, loving the thing, or shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars (or Euros) for the **** thing, then keep it in a garage that was heated in winter and air conditioned in summer, where you go in to wash, polish and just stand there admiring the freaking thing, to my way of thinking is just...plain...NUTS! Americans are WAY too involved with their cars. When I turn on the The Learning Channel and find myself watching a program about some looneytoon who is actually IN LOVE WITH, and has a SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP with his car, that's when I come to have SERIOUS CONCERNS about the mental condition of the American people! Face it people, the thing is NOT something worthy of anyone's affection or obsession. Nor is it something worth hundreds of thousands, or even MILLIONS of dollars! What it is, is a metal and plastic - mostly plastic, nowadays - body, placed over a steel chasis, with a motor and other bits of mechanical peraphernalia, and four, air-filled tires, all designed to transport you from Point A, to Point B, and back again. It is the same as a elevator that takes you from the ground floor to the floors above and back down again, or the city bus that picks you up at designated stops, transports you to assigned stops around the city, then returns you to that same first stop. You don't love the elevator in your office building, do you? Would you pay a couple of million dollars for the privilige of owning one and having it installed in your home? Of course not! The very idea is ludicrous! Can you imagine yourself in love with the Crosstown Bus, or the Number 6 Subway Car, or that Yellow Taxi that takes you home when you've had too much to drink? No! That's nonsense! So, WHY, in the name of the almighty Plumbob do you love that hunk of metal and plastic sitting in your driveway? The same ridiculously over-price hunk of junk, that costs you thousands of dollars every year for Gas, Insurance, Inspection, Repairs - including parts and labor, that are as over-priced and the vehicle itself, and a rectangular, metal License Plate, without which you could not operate the vehicle at all. We need to also take into consideration the poisons and filth each and every one of those vehicles pumps into the air we need for survival, and each life that is lost due to the millions of road accidents that occur every year. And, lets not forget the millions of others who are mamed, crippled, or deprived of their mobility altogether, had their brains scrambled or rendered useless, and those whose lives are now things of misery because of hideous scars that were caused by automobile crashes, and horrific burns! Think about all of those things, then ask youself again, do you still love your car? The majority of you will still senselessly answer a resounding, YES! And, it's that THAT very point, that I question your sanity! Only in America, my friend! So, I thank the creator of this Mod, even though it is a simple one, fir removing that stupid "Best Friend" relationship with something that is nothing more than a motorized method of transportation.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#73 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 1:06 AM
Only in the world, you mean. The love of a car enthusiast for a car will never be explained to a non-enthusiast, so we don't even bother trying anymore. Just like the vast majority of people grow attached to other commodities, we grow attached to cars to the extent that we feel emotional distress when the car is somehow damaged or lost... nothing more, nothing less. Suffice it to say that automobilophilia is a disease that no real car enthusiast actually suffers from, and that the entire "friendship" of a vehicle owner with their car is sentimental. (That it is referred to as a "relationship" by this mod establishes bias. It appears in the relationship panel but it is otherwise in no way referred to as a relationship in the game.)

That said, I don't find it surprising that people can fetishize cars. Cars are sleek, agile in spite of their strength and size, and fun to spend time with, traits that people normally look for in mates. It takes a special mental condition to sexualize it, but it's no more shocking than any other fetish out there, like food fetish or even just lingerie.

I would say that EA's system is actually surprisingly realistic, although it should definitely have restricted car friendships to enthusiasts only. Buzzler's fix is a step in the right direction, possibly for the wrong reasons, hyperbole or no. ;-)
Instructor
#74 Old 22nd Jan 2013 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by l8nytsimmer
[blah blah blah, ignorant, self-righteous ranting]

This rant is crazy, there are so many things wrong with it. Do you even know any Americans at all? There's a difference between liking a car-centered society and liking your own car. They are not the same thing. You also don't understand the difference between one sick individual who had such severe problems that he ended up being shown on TV, and the population as a whole. *Some* people get attached to their cars in the same way they get attached to other things, like a computer or a teddy bear or whatever. Some people take a little pride in their car looking nice. They might spend a lot of time in their car because they don't have reasonable alternatives. It's probably the most expensive thing they own, and something they had to put a lot of time and effort into acquiring (like researching its safety with consumer reports), and it has to be maintained, so they are invested in it. This isn't unique to Americans at all. It seems to me that you have some sort of bigotry issue here with people who like things you don't. You should consider that other people do have their own reasons for liking the things they like, and your opinion on the matter is ignorant and irrelevant.

I honestly don't know why I even bothered to respond. Buzzler, thanks for this awesome mod. It's one thing to like your car, but an actual relationship like it's a real friend is just EA stupidity.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 5:32 PM Last edited by juniormints74 : 22nd Feb 2013 at 4:31 PM.
Is this compatible with update 1.50?
Page 3 of 4