Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#226 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mflaha55
I'm having the same problem as eddymcc. When I use Master Controller to force an opportunity, no custom opportunites show up, and I don't mean just my custom opportunities.

I have corrected one error which showed up in a Script Error concerning my ArmyEnlisted.Opportunities file, but now I have another Script Error which I cannot seem to find. If you all don't mind, I've attached a .zip file with the Script Errors and a copy of my career file (Army Enlisted Career). I would appreciate if someone would take a look and see if you can tell me what the problem is. I included a copy of my Army Officer career in case you want to test the Transfer Career event. Maybe I'm just being too ambitious!

I've used twallan's tutorial referenced by Lily XD, as well as his Mobster Career for the formats, etc., but am still not seeing any success. This is really bumming me out!

P.S. - Lily XD - I already have the Opportunity files you were kind enough to attach to your post above. I'm looking for the file with the text that goes with the opportunity setups.

You're missing an <OpportunitiesCompletion> near the end of your file:

You have -
<GUID>ArmyEnlisted_DeliverTopSecretPackage</GUID>
<CompletionWinReward1>CareerPerformance,25</CompletionWinReward1>
<CompletionWinReward2>RelationshipWithBoss,25</CompletionWinReward2>
<CompletionWinReward3>Buff,Victory</CompletionWinReward3>
<CompletionLossReward1>CareerDemotion</CompletionLossReward1>
<CompletionLossReward2>RelationshipWithBoss,-25</CompletionLossReward2>
<CompletionLossReward3>Buff,Defeat</CompletionLossReward3>
<FailureReward1>CareerDemotion</FailureReward1>
<FailureReward2>RelationshipWithBoss,-25</FailureReward2>
<FailureReward3>Buff,Defeat</FailureReward3>
</OpportunitiesCompletion>
</Opportunities>

It should be -
<OpportunitiesCompletion>
<GUID>ArmyEnlisted_DeliverTopSecretPackage</GUID>
<CompletionWinReward1>CareerPerformance,25</CompletionWinReward1>
<CompletionWinReward2>RelationshipWithBoss,25</CompletionWinReward2>
<CompletionWinReward3>Buff,Victory</CompletionWinReward3>
<CompletionLossReward1>CareerDemotion</CompletionLossReward1>
<CompletionLossReward2>RelationshipWithBoss,-25</CompletionLossReward2>
<CompletionLossReward3>Buff,Defeat</CompletionLossReward3>
<FailureReward1>CareerDemotion</FailureReward1>
<FailureReward2>RelationshipWithBoss,-25</FailureReward2>
<FailureReward3>Buff,Defeat</FailureReward3>
</OpportunitiesCompletion>
</Opportunities>

In regards to the strings, I never used the EA ones. I based everything off of Twallan's mobster career because it works. My motto when career making: If it works copy it.

Google has the answers. Not me.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#227 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 5:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lily__XD
You're missing an <OpportunitiesCompletion> near the end of your file:...

Many thanks, Lily_XD, for finding that omission on my part! I sometimes get a little crazy with my cutting and pasting! I've made the correction and will test it again.

...In regards to the strings, I never used the EA ones. I based everything off of Twallan's mobster career because it works. My motto when career making: If it works copy it.

I'm looking for the EA text primarily to see if I can modify any of the Opportunities/Events EA set up for their military career, 'cause as you so aptly put it - if it works, copy it! I'm not the most imaginative person around and find it difficult to come up with good, exciting and interesting scenarios.
Field Researcher
#228 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mflaha55
I'm looking for the EA text primarily to see if I can modify any of the Opportunities/Events EA set up for their military career, 'cause as you so aptly put it - if it works, copy it! I'm not the most imaginative person around and find it difficult to come up with good, exciting and interesting scenarios.

So you only want the text? Sims Wiki has it: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Military#Opportunities

Test Subject
#229 Old 2nd Apr 2013 at 4:24 PM
Sorry I haven't replied yet, I have been in the highlands over the easter weekend and haven't had my laptop or internet, I will try to fix that bit today and let you know how it goes
Field Researcher
#230 Old 3rd Apr 2013 at 12:01 AM
So you only want the text? Sims Wiki has it: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Military#Opportunities

Actually, what I'm looking for is the file(s) which would be equivalent to the Strings file in a Custom Career. It's the file(s) that have all of the textual definitions/descriptions of the event/opportunity, etc..
Test Subject
#231 Old 3rd Apr 2013 at 11:13 AM Last edited by eddymcc : 3rd Apr 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Thank you so much lily__XD that worked for about 5 of my opportunities, just time to figure out what is wrong with the rest lol

EDIT: So I just looked at my error trap logs and my files and I can't see what the problem with my other opportunities, just when I thought it was all sorted lol
Field Researcher
#232 Old 3rd Apr 2013 at 2:03 PM
@mflaha55 - Oh okay... I'm not sure if this still works or what, but when I made the career replacement thingies I used this http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=362186 to get the stings. It's quite old and takes some time but I think it should get you what your wanting

@eddymcc - Could you upload the new script error?

Test Subject
#233 Old 3rd Apr 2013 at 6:42 PM
@mflaha55 - Oh okay... I'm not sure if this still works or what, but when I made the career replacement thingies I used this http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=362186 to get the stings. It's quite old and takes some time but I think it should get you what your wanting

@eddymcc - Could you upload the new script error?

These are all the error files I got from running the fixes you reccomended
Attached files:
File Type: rar  script error 3rd april 2013.rar (6.9 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#234 Old 3rd Apr 2013 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eddymcc
These are all the error files I got from running the fixes you reccomended

oh my christ :o These are interesting. Okay, I don't think the second has anything to do with your career (because I can't find engineering in it anywhere). The first one, I think after a little checking my own and comparing it to yours means that in the "Fix Robot" and the "Pub Quiz" opportunities, where you have the opportunity rewards set to <CompletionWinReward1>Skill,Handiness,25</CompletionWinReward1> and <CompletionWinReward1>Skill,Logic,25</CompletionWinReward1> you need to change it to <CompletionWinReward1>SkillPercentage,Logic,25</CompletionWinReward1> and <CompletionWinReward1>SkillPercentage,Handiness,25</CompletionWinReward1>.
I think that's what it's saying anyway but that was one messy Script Error :')

Test Subject
#235 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 12:43 AM Last edited by eddymcc : 4th Apr 2013 at 1:18 PM. Reason: update
yeah and combine that with the fact that the other skill gains are fine with that coding (which is the way ea put it ironically) and that pub quiz isn't one of the working ones although fix robot is working (so there must be some coding difference between them) I will try changing the skill gains for handiness and logic to see if that changes anything lol

EDIT: OK this is just getting silly half of my opportunities are working but half are still not showing >< (deliver plans, fight dr evil, fix robot, teach military, deliver report and deliver new tech are all working however pub quiz, find solution, attend science fair get relics and get tiberium are all not working) and i can't see a single reason why...
Field Researcher
#236 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 4:09 PM
@eddymcc - Did you change what I asked you to? In the ea opportunities it has it set out as you do in the <CompletionModifier> field. I'm not even sure what that's for but if you take a closer look all their <CompletionReward> fields that are related to skills include the word percentage.

I know this is frustrating but you have to do this one step at a time. Your game can only tell you one thing that's wrong until you've fixed it, then you'll get a new script error and we can start again. When you do get a new script error just upload it and I'll tell you what's up. And if worst comes to worst... well hey, you have a working career (yay) with 6 working opportunities (double yay). Not too shabby

Test Subject
#237 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 5:28 PM Last edited by eddymcc : 4th Apr 2013 at 5:56 PM.
@eddymcc - Did you change what I asked you to? In the ea opportunities it has it set out as you do in the <CompletionModifier> field. I'm not even sure what that's for but if you take a closer look all their <CompletionReward> fields that are related to skills include the word percentage.

I know this is frustrating but you have to do this one step at a time. Your game can only tell you one thing that's wrong until you've fixed it, then you'll get a new script error and we can start again. When you do get a new script error just upload it and I'll tell you what's up. And if worst comes to worst... well hey, you have a working career (yay) with 6 working opportunities (double yay). Not too shabby

I did the change you said about and I just changed the bistro rabbithtoole to restaurant in order to see if that helps pub quiz lol

And they seem to change between skill and skillpercentage rather randomly lol
Test Subject
#238 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 5:48 PM
OK so i have tried a new fix but I can't see what error trap means, there is engineering in this file, it is rather messy though
Attached files:
File Type: rar  errors 4th april.rar (4.8 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#239 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 11:56 AM
OK I have got them all sorted I think, I made a mistake in the events file and left the word science in a few times but it all seems to be working now, Thank you very much for your help and after I get it play tested I just need to figure out how to post it XD

Thank you all very much for your help
Field Researcher
#240 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 9:51 PM

I found what I was looking for in the The Sims3/GameData/Shared/Packages/FullBuild0.package file. It's the STBL containing all of the text for just about everything in the game (Strings_ENG_US_0x000F16B00BA8342F).

I also discovered why my opportunities aren't showing up. Being the noob that I am, I did not include the opportunities in the Events file. Am going back and correcting the error. I may get Opportunities and Events to work in spite of myself! Wish me luck and alot more patience!!
Scholar
#241 Old 12th Apr 2013 at 9:49 PM
In your Careers file, it looks like one of the lines isn't quite right. Check all the mappings, it looks like one of the <Mappings2> isn't quite right

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Visit MissyHissy's Irish Dance Studio
The Daily Plumbob, a Sims 4 Gameplay blog
Scholar
#242 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 11:50 AM
Check the spellings in the actual code and compare it to those in the English Strings. They probably don't match, in which case edit those and you should be in business

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Scholar
#243 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 9:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by albino-ottsel
No luck. I checked the .Careers file and replaced the corresponding STBL strings, and the titles still aren't showing up. The descriptions still appear without issue, though. I'm at a loss

EDIT: *flips table* I'm an idiot. There was a space in the .Careers file. I took out the hyphen but forgot that spaces are a no-no. Now, I just need to figure out what to do about that blank tone slot. Any suggestions?

Any idea which one it is?
If it's replacing either the Work Hard or Take It Easy tone, then make sure you've got them in the UnhashedKeys and English strings.
If it's any of the others, it's likely to be the same thing as the titles

Scholar
#244 Old 14th Apr 2013 at 10:22 AM
It's not actually replacing anything. There's no description or anything. I can select it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. My job performance went up at about the same pace as it did under Business As Usual. I didn't put in a Suck Up to Boss tone at all, so I don't know if that's what it's supposed to be? My relationship with my boss didn't change at all when I worked a whole shift with that tone.

Is there one you know you're missing? It might be a skill gain one you hadn't finished?

Scholar
#245 Old 14th Apr 2013 at 8:38 PM
I didn't want a skill gain one at all, actually. I didn't know how to remove the code for it without screwing up the entire mod.

Hmm, maybe that's it?

Scholar
#246 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 11:42 AM
I SHOULD probably just make a skill tone, anyway. Maybe a "Work on Cars" to build Handiness or something? I dunno, I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: I attempted to add in a Handiness-building Work On Cars tone, but the box for the description got bigger, and I think my Handiness skill improved, so I guess all I need to do is tweak the code to try and get it to actually appear.

EDIT 2: It's working! I just need to test it out some more, but I think it's ready for upload. Thanks so much :D

Aha! Sorted it! Well done! And any time!
Good luck!

Lab Assistant
#247 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 8:12 PM Last edited by Gurra09 : 28th Apr 2013 at 12:22 PM.
I have tried solving this problem for hours and I don't get what's wrong.

The game won't load my STBLs. All descriptions and everything are just empty...

I read what was said earlier in this thread about string files but nothing at all seems to be wrong according to what I read.

This makes no sense to me since if nothing is wrong, then it should work - shouldn't it?

I attached my package if anyone could have a look at it and maybe tell me what is wrong with my career. Because I don't understand what could be the problem.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: I got it working. For some reason the hashes in the STBLs had been different in UnhashedKeys and English, even though I had them the same in my .txts that I made the STBLs from. I corrected that and now everything works just fine.

Creator of the Perfect Genetics and Midnight Sun Challenges.
Visit the SimGurra tumblr - home to my TS3 creations, including the official Midnight Sun Challenge worlds!
Scholar
#248 Old 29th Apr 2013 at 10:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gurra09
I have tried solving this problem for hours and I don't get what's wrong.

The game won't load my STBLs. All descriptions and everything are just empty...

I read what was said earlier in this thread about string files but nothing at all seems to be wrong according to what I read.

This makes no sense to me since if nothing is wrong, then it should work - shouldn't it?

I attached my package if anyone could have a look at it and maybe tell me what is wrong with my career. Because I don't understand what could be the problem.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: I got it working. For some reason the hashes in the STBLs had been different in UnhashedKeys and English, even though I had them the same in my .txts that I made the STBLs from. I corrected that and now everything works just fine.

Pleased you got it working Happens to me occasionally, too.

Test Subject
#249 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 8:23 AM
Hi (:

Is it possible to change the amount of xp needed for the next job lvl? Active careers have a <Goal_XP> tag, but the others don't. Perhaps someone can help me.
Test Subject
#250 Old 29th Aug 2013 at 7:46 AM
I've spent forever following all the directions to a T, trying to make a custom career as an assassin because I had a storyline I couldn't get out of my head, and it isn't showing up in my game. Is there anyone who would be willing to look over what I have and tell me if I messed something up? I'm wondering if maybe I just need someone to take a second look. I downloaded errortrap but I'm not getting anything from it. In the game I did have a window pop up that said:

NRaas.Careers
Script Error
75750461622958.dll
Assassin.careers

I've looked over everything and can't find any misspellings or places I forgot. Just a little disheartened
Page 10 of 23