Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 3:31 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 23rd Jun 2011 at 3:37 PM. Reason: better title
Default Convert to Beach Lot
Change a non-beach lot to a beach lot (and vice-versa?). It would be nice to add the water and beach functions to normal lots, but at this time we don't understand how those abilities are stored in the neighborhood or lot packages.

From http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...704#post2648704

Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
Just a thought: Do we understand lots and beach lots well enough to copy the contents of a selected area of a regular lot into a selected area of a beach lot?
At minimum, you would have to merge the beach lot objects and non-beach lot objects. However, there is a high likelihood that some of the IDs will conflict with each other. So, we'd need a way to determine which IDs conflict, find every instance of an ID, generate a new unique ID, and then change every instance of the ID with its replacement.

We'd also need to determine which objects are duplicates, so that one or the other of the duplicate objects could be eliminated and its associated records changed to the ID of the other object.

It might be do-able, but Pescado seems to believe that the duplicate object problem is a pretty major piece of work. Even when the beach lot is completely empty, there are a lot of hidden objects, which are the ones most likely to have problems with having duplicates. Reference:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=328165

Quote: Originally posted by niol
For the walls, we've not parsed the different data patterns for different wall types with different properties in WGRA files, but someone is interested in helping out, I can see there's a chance. May check out or search through what's been discussed in past 200-300 posts. String can be like "WGRA", "data pattern".

FYI of some basic infos, "Wall" here means "partitions" including all kinds of wall types and fence type and wall types involved in other complex build tools like foundations, stage and probably awning.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=106473
I believe that walls should not be a problem; we should be able to just copy the necessary records directly, with perhaps a slight adjustment in location. This worked for Lost Angles, so we know that it works to copy the entire set of records. As well, I expect that the beach lot will not have any walls, so we don't really need to worry about merging.

So, while I never want to discourage people from researching internal file formats, I think that our time could be better prioritized.

As for floor tiles, I believe we've got all it takes.
Agreed; floor tiles should be simple, at least if there's no CC.

I`m not sure I understand entirely.

I was talking about copying [build- and buy-mode] objects and walls from a selected section of the lot, not copying everything. This would rule out copying the "hidden objects" unless they happen to be in the user-specified location. This would simplify things at least a little, nyet? If we can identify "hidden objects" and simply refuse to copy them, that simplifies things just a tad more, si? How do-able is it that way?
Copying the walls, wallpapaer, flooring and grid elevations is simple; that's basically what I did to reduce the EP-requirements of Lost Angles. At least, it's simple if we can ensure that there are no walls on the existing beach lot; if we have to merge walls then we will need more information about the WGRA and WLL records, especially in the area of the B array (which I believe holds room IDs).

I agree that limiting copying of objects to a specific area should reduce the likelihood of copying hidden objects. I currently know of no way to determine whether an object is a user-placed object or a hidden lot-functionality object. I also don't know how to tell whether one object is dependent upon another. Finally, I don't know how to copy only specific objects; my attempts at removing specific objects on the edge of the lot was not successful, which is why the LotAdjuster requires the user to remove objects from shrunken areas.

At this point, I still do not completely understand the interactions between the MOBJ, OBJT, XOBJ, OBJM, and XMTO records; however, it is clear that these interactions are important and will determine the success or failure of this project.

When I tried to use my previous understanding about the dependencies between these records in the LevelAdder program, to determine the level of each object, I realized that the current logic (which works for the portals, garbage can, phone booth, and mailbox) does not extend to all objects. At this time, I still have no algorithm for matching one specific object to the various record types and partial records; this is why the LevelAdder program has not been released. Reference:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=328166

I'm not saying that your idea is impossible. I'm just saying that I currently don't have the information that I need about the internal record formats to do this correctly.

If we can determine a foolproof way to correlate these records, so that the LevelAdder program can actually determine the level of every object on a lot, then we might have enough information to take a stab at copying an object to another lot.

As for non-in-lot objects, I guess one has to make a list out for all the hidden objects in a given lot type for comparison to move the target objects.
It may be that "beach lot" is actually a set of hidden objects; although I suspect that there's more to it.

Here's my thoughts on an approach to this problem:

First, we need to determine how to find all records and portions of records which are associated with a specific object; the LevelAdder program is a good tester for this logic, since getting things wrong will leave objects flying in the air. Then, we need to determine how to move an object to another lot; we'll need lots of testing to ensure that objects continue to work correctly when added to a lot. At that point, we may find that there are actually very few hidden objects which are in the build-area of the lot, and which are thus "accidentally" moved.
Advertisement
#2 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 6:52 PM
Thank you for the interesting information.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 6:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda

It might be do-able, but Pescado seems to believe that the duplicate object problem is a pretty major piece of work. Even when the beach lot is completely empty, there are a lot of hidden objects, which are the ones most likely to have problems with having duplicates. Reference:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=328165

Is it probably because certain lines are preloaded on those hidden objects, and it can cause problems when object ID get replaced?

If so, then keep the destination set while ignoring the source set. Now, would there be different versions of hidden objects? Anyone?

I believe that walls should not be a problem; we should be able to just copy the necessary records directly, with perhaps a slight adjustment in location. This worked for Lost Angles, so we know that it works to copy the entire set of records. As well, I expect that the beach lot will not have any walls, so we don't really need to worry about merging.

ture.
So, the "add level" is also working for beachlot?
If so, we can at least move or merge walls and floors at different sims-levels already.

So, while I never want to discourage people from researching internal file formats, I think that our time could be better prioritized.
[/quote]
True, that is for ConvertiWall.

At least, it's simple if we can ensure that there are no walls on the existing beach lot; if we have to merge walls then we will need more information about the WGRA and WLL records, especially in the area of the B array (which I believe holds room IDs).

I believe so based on the pop-up info and what has been observed.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 4:24 PM
Is it probably because certain lines are preloaded on those hidden objects, and it can cause problems when object ID get replaced?

If so, then keep the destination set while ignoring the source set. Now, would there be different versions of hidden objects? Anyone?
Yes, I agree. When faced with a duplicate, definitely keep the destination version, since it may contain information which is relevant to beach lots.

So, the "add level" is also working for beachlot?
If so, we can at least move or merge walls and floors at different sims-levels already.
AddLevel doesn't work, either for normal lots or for beach lots. It will add a level without any problem, but the objects may appear on the wrong level or at the wrong elevation. I got around this problem for my test lot by creating a new level which had an elevation of 0 (ie, no elevation changes to existing objects), and then I fixed every single object which ended up on the wrong level in-game (mostly ground-level outside).

However, even if AddLevel was working, I have never successfully merged walls from two different lots. This may be fairly trivial, given our current level of knowledge, but it's never been done and may have unexpected problems.

I don't believe that conversion to a beach lot requires the merging of walls from different lots, though. I assume that it would be best to merge a built lot and an empty beach lot.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 6:24 AM
I currently know of no way to determine whether an object is a user-placed object or a hidden lot-functionality object. I also don't know how to tell whether one object is dependent upon another. Finally, I don't know how to copy only specific objects; my attempts at removing specific objects on the edge of the lot was not successful, which is why the LotAdjuster requires the user to remove objects from shrunken areas.

At this point, I still do not completely understand the interactions between the MOBJ, OBJT, XOBJ, OBJM, and XMTO records...

When I tried to use my previous understanding about the dependencies between these records in the LevelAdder program, to determine the level of each object, I realized that the current logic (which works for the portals, garbage can, phone booth, and mailbox) does not extend to all objects. At this time, I still have no algorithm for matching one specific object to the various record types and partial records
If we can determine a foolproof way to correlate these records, so that the LevelAdder program can actually determine the level of every object on a lot, then we might have enough information to take a stab at copying an object to another lot.

The impression I've got from so-far, every object must have a master GUID though some objects can have more GUIDs held by the master GUID simply because they're multi-grid objects.

Tracking and listing out all the GUIDs already in the normal lots and beach lots respectively can make up 2 lists of hidden objects.
We have a chance to skip them without knowing how they affect or function at all as long as we're not moving a running family. In that case of running family, we'll need bhav-modders (eg. Numenor, Inge, Pescado, Echo, etc) and sims-modders to join to help research out or speak out what they can tell.

Besides making those 2 lists, we really have to parse the interactions between those object-related files. Actually, this task is best done by bhav-&-object modders (like Inge, Echo, Numenor, Jasana_BugBreeder, etc). for the simplest cause that they know more about these.

Indeed, to fully or mostly parse all or most files in lot package may really take more different types of modders here.
1. bhav modders (for hidden objects and correlation of object-related files, how the game runs for game-play because lots are where all these happen at.)
2. sims modders (for sims and sims-related infos, family infos), but not BS-product creators (those who can only make BS products out of BS.)
3. willy testers to help test under different environments.
4. maybe more.

I'm not an object modder, an bhav modder, a sims modder, nor a programmer.
I'm a lot builder, build-mode modder, material-modder, so you see why I can mostly provide infos related to build mode. That's my den so far in TS2.

I've checked 3 files of the mentioned, and realised we were lucky that the portals, garbage can, and the mail box tend to be found at fixated locations while some other objects can be randomly placed along the lists in these files in different lot files.

What I suppose:
00. To gather what we seem to have known in a list first.
01. There must be a place for GUID.
02. There may be a place for object reference for repository cause, especially obvious when multiple copies of the same object with its specific GUID.
02a. To test this, multiple copies of a single-tiled/grid object may help.
02b. I wonder if a lot can still be stable in build mode when all objects are deleted including the hidden ones and the portals, garbage can, and the mail box. We may use such lots for the following testings.
02c. After the single-tiled/grid object test(s), a single copy of objects of multiple grid/tile may help, followed by multiple copies of such.
02d. We may use a custom recolourable object.
03. There should be a reference for object recolour.
04. There must be coordinates for object placement.
05. There should be an angle info or its reference for diagonal placement and normal placement of objects. So, this may take 8 if not 3 copies of the same lot at 8 different consecutive if not 3 well chosen stages for all 8 possible angled placements to show the differences. Note this may be like tile mapping as in 3D array instance 0x00.
06. There can be a stage reference for when an object is being used/run, especially for played lots. It can be what Inge had once said something like a whole 3D world with the object mesh parts at the position when the lot was saved?
07. Any graphical animations supported by shaders has no relevance here coz they are simply re-initiated and re-drawn once a lot is loaded.
08. There are still some "miscellaneous" unknown files with unrecognised data. How different are they among different sorts of lots?
09. 3D array instance 0x0C for the location of some objects at least buy-mode objects.
10. 3D array instance 0x0B for correlation between "room ID" and "light" (cell-shading in a closed room?)
11. more?

I'm not saying that your idea is impossible. I'm just saying that I currently don't have the information that I need about the internal record formats to do this correctly.

lol, GeneralOperationsDirector, come on, help us out, won't you?
If not, I reckon GeneralOperationsDirector == GeneralOperationsDirectorObserverTender . :P

It may be that "beach lot" is actually a set of hidden objects; although I suspect that there's more to it.

Surely, the "ocean reflection" for lotskirt water is only available in beach lots but not normal lots or the in-lot view of the neighbourhood.

There're different hidden objects for sims intereactions.

There're wave-makers as Inge had found.

There's the pool-like beach-water/ocean/sea.

Here's my thoughts on an approach to this problem:

First, we need to determine how to find all records and portions of records which are associated with a specific object; the LevelAdder program is a good tester for this logic, since getting things wrong will leave objects flying in the air. Then, we need to determine how to move an object to another lot; we'll need lots of testing to ensure that objects continue to work correctly when added to a lot. At that point, we may find that there are actually very few hidden objects which are in the build-area of the lot, and which are thus "accidentally" moved.

Then, we may need bhav-object modders to visiualise these hidden objects. Let's think of the Inge's portal revealers.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 6:55 AM
However, even if AddLevel was working, I have never successfully merged walls from two different lots. This may be fairly trivial, given our current level of knowledge, but it's never been done and may have unexpected problems.

I don't believe that conversion to a beach lot requires the merging of walls from different lots, though. I assume that it would be best to merge a built lot and an empty beach lot.

True, but I think that to start with the easiest like simply copying the build essences like walls and floors to an empty lot is more promising.
Should certain things can't be solved shortly, at least some features can already be ready.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:18 PM
True, but I think that to start with the easiest like simply copying the build essences like walls and floors to an empty lot is more promising.
Should certain things can't be solved shortly, at least some features can already be ready.
Agreed. That technique worked really well with Lost Angles, since the furnishings were far less important than the overall building structure. It might be "better than nothing" for converting to beach lots, as well.

I also like your idea of just removing all objects. If we remove all objects on a beach lot and it is still recognized as a beach lot by the game, then we know that the objects are not important to the "beach lot" specification. In that case, copying all objects, walls, roofs, etc (with a possible shift in location to account for the beach area), replacing the existing objects, walls, roofs, etc, and then placing the missing beach and wave portals manually may give us what we need.

In fact, if we didn't try to copy the 2D and 3D arrays (flooring, grid elevations, water levels, etc), then we might be able to do a proof-of-concept without actually writing any code. Just use SimPE to copy the necessary records, add the portals in-game, and test. If that works, it should be relatively easy to write a program to copy the records that we did by hand, as well as copying partial 2D and 3D array records.

If we don't need to merge object records, then the whole task becomes much simpler.
#8 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 5:51 PM
lol, GeneralOperationsDirector, come on, help us out, won't you?
If not, I reckon GeneralOperationsDirector == GeneralOperationsDirectorObserverTender .
If you want me to DO something, please be a little more specific. I`m glad to help where I can, but I don`t know what would be helpful here, besides offering Generally Observant Dialog.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 6:42 PM
At this point, it would probably be more work to tell you what to do than to just do it myself. But, thanks for the offer.
#10 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 6:51 PM
Heh, I know what you mean. BT, DT. You`re welcome. If you change your mind, let me know. niol, if you come up with anything in particular, let me know. `K?

P.S.: Wasn`t Godot the name of a well-known scientist a couple dozen decades ago or so?

Mad Poster
#11 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 7:56 AM Last edited by niol : 20th Jul 2009 at 6:09 AM. Reason: irrelevant chit-chat deleted, as promised deleted afterwards.
If you want me to DO something, please be a little more specific. I`m glad to help where I can, but I don`t know what would be helpful here, besides offering Generally Observant Dialog.

At this point, it would probably be more work to tell you what to do than to just do it myself. But, thanks for the offer.

Heh, I know what you mean. BT, DT. You`re welcome. If you change your mind, let me know. niol, if you come up with anything in particular, let me know. `K?

P.S.: Wasn`t Godot the name of a well-known scientist a couple dozen decades ago or so?

Sorry to be a bit naughty... :P

I was just wondering..

Since you nicely decide to offer...

Can you help making my suppositions from 2-5 in post 5 of this thread? one set for normal lot and one set for beach lot.

Currently, I can't access my games but simpe...

I do believe GeneralOperationsDirector can pick up fast coz GeneralOperationsDirector is very wise and sweet.
No worry...

PS:
GeneralOperationsDirector,
if you will that acronym, surely, you're free to interpret it in whatsoever way you like. and I'll be appreciated as long as we all are happy with it/them...

funs, joys and more!

[deleted]

Thanks in advance regardless of your decision.
#12 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 4:10 PM
Sorry to be a bit naughty...

I was just wondering..

Since you nicely decide to offer...

Can you help making my suppositions from 2-5 in post 5 of this thread? one set for normal lot and one set for beach lot.

Currently, I can't access my games but simpe...
Was this directed at me? If so, I suppose I could help there. Whatcha want done?
I do believe GeneralOperationsDirector can pick up fast coz GeneralOperationsDirector is very wise and sweet.
No worry...
Actually, I "pick up fast" because of Asperger`s Syndrome, but I`m pleased that you think I`m "very wise and sweet", because I certainly do *try* to be so.
PS:
if you will that acronym, surely, you're free to interpret it in whatsoever way you like. and I'll be appreciated as long as we all are happy with it/them...

Hmm? [Slightly confuzzled here.]
funs, joys and more!
::huggles::
PS:
if anyone here also interested,
please help test and screenshot the resultants of my mods, too.
Which mods, please?
Thanks in advance regardless of your decision.
You`re welcome.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 6:53 AM Last edited by niol : 20th Jul 2009 at 6:07 AM. Reason: irrelevant chit-chat deleted, as promised deleted afterwards.
Was this directed at me? If so, I suppose I could help there. Whatcha want done? Actually, I "pick up fast" because of Asperger`s Syndrome, but I`m pleased that you think I`m "very wise and sweet", because I certainly do *try* to be so. Hmm? [Slightly confuzzled here.]::huggles::Which mods, please?You`re welcome.

I think so :P

[deleted]

Anyway, back to the lot test.
Can you make 1 "empty" lot per normal lot and beach lot and copy the these 2 lot files out from the your sims2/neighbourhoodN???/ instead of exporting out as simspack files?

Just in case, you can use find/search to seek through the whole sims2 folder and its subdirectories in your mydocuments/or the like under different OS platform.
May sort through the access date, so that you can know which two lot files to upload here...

But you yourself, please save the lots for later usages. I'm gonna manually remove most objects I can see and upload back here for you to add in some 1-tile object later. After that, you can upload the resultant lots back here, so I can download them to check.

I hope I'm clear, but if not, please ask more.

Thanks...

Mootilda,

(just to show that you're not ignored.)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#14 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 10:23 PM
I don't feel ignored. I'm quite happy if you two can work out some of these tests without me. Good luck!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 6:45 AM
I hope so and hopefully, GeneralOperationsDirector does join into our effort...
#16 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 9:12 PM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 6th Jul 2009 at 9:28 PM.
Ok, niol, let`s see if I understand you correctly.

You want me to make one empty non-beach lot, and one empty beach lot, right?

You then want me to manually extract copies of the two lots for later use, right?

Can do. Will do tonight. Any preference on lot size? Should I make them the same size as one-another?

Then what? Archive them and upload them here?

P.S.: Checking out that link you gave me.

Edit: I don`t think I can help you there, as with my current system I can have either visible fish or nice-looking pools, but not both at once. When I turn my shaders on I get fish, but it ruins the swiming pools.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 6:08 AM Last edited by niol : 20th Jul 2009 at 6:05 AM. Reason: irrelevant chit-chat deleted, as promised deleted afterwards.

"Any preference on lot size? Should I make them the same size as one-another?
Then what? Archive them and upload them here?"

Thanks for asking me about them that I forgot to specify.

1. lot size - the smaller the better, say 1 x1 lots. probably, from copies or fresh from Mootilda's LotAdjuster

2. yes, they're better of the same size for easier and better comparison, you've got... You surely understand what I mean even though I forgot to mention... :slap myself for that:

3. "manually extract copies of the two lots for later use, right?"
Yes, like a lot package file "N00?_Lot?.package" and its corresponding "N00?_Neighborhood.package" without the quotation marks. Surely, if they are made in the same brand new testing neighbourhood. That's a plus to save a file and works.

4. Yes, upload them in whatever way you feel comfortable with. Thanks...

[deleted]
Thanks again.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#18 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 2:56 PM
1x1 beach lot? You just want to see the water? Or, just the road?

I also think that you should give some thought to U11... with the "right" U11 value, things should copy over without any move requirement, so I'd try to choose a lot which scanned side to side, starting at the road and working towards the water.
#19 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 9:14 PM
niol, I responded about your hack testing *here* because you asked me *here* to have a look at it, and I cannot help with that, for the reasons given previously, unless you are willing to get results from a less-than-perfectly-functioning system. Even so, I am reluctant to mess with that part of my system BECAUSE it is functioning less than perfectly, and I have concerns about making it function even less perfectly. No point in posting there only to say "No", is there?

Back to the issues relavent to this thread, I apologize for not creating those lots for you; none of my existing neighborhoods --in particularly not my Testing Neighborhood-- has *any* locations suitable for adding a beach lot, I am not ready to add any subneighborhoods to my playing neighborhood, and I didn`t feel last night like adding a subneighborhood to my Testing Neighborhood just to create one beach lot. I will do that, just not immediately. Mebbe tonight, perhaps. Probably this week, sometime. This month, almost certainly. When I do, I will create a beach lot of the smallest size the game will allow unhacked, and a normal lot of the same size and orientation in the same neighborhood, and process them both as previously indicated. Will this do?

Oh, I see you want the neighborhood package, too. Will a sub-neighborhood of an existing testing neighborhood do, or do you need an entirely new main `hood?

P.S.: You don`t need to "without the quotation marks" with me; I grok that anyway. .

Mad Poster
#20 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 6:29 AM Last edited by niol : 20th Jul 2009 at 6:05 AM. Reason: irrelevant chit-chat deleted, as promised deleted afterwards.
Mootilda,

You're right. :red face:
see, I've not played for too long that I forgot the beach lot has to be at least 3 deep from the road... :bonker: Lol, then,

1. the lot size should be around 40x50 grid square (4x4 or 3x5, 5x3)
2. as for the location for U11, may just follow what Mootilda has said on post 18.
3. may move around the custom neighbourhoods. you can move the whole folder for the playing neighbourhood out to my document or somewhere else and replace the location with a new testing hood in which such suitable region of a neighbourhood can be found. MTS2 should have plenty of such neighbourhood templates to download.

[deleted]
#21 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 6:07 PM
I already have a HUGE number of SC4 maps available to make a `hood from, and have many more ready to install.

Don`t NEED to move whole neighborhoods around; can create NEW one if needed: have many unused neighborhood numbers and much disk space available. Don`t know what is needed, though: do need to make place for beach lot, but do not know if SUB-`hood is OK, or if need new MAIN `hood. Please clarify.

Fish require shaders on. With shaders on, pool goes bonkers. Have issues: water not display right, walls not display right, floor underneath not display right. With shaders off, can`t see fish, and fish die of neglect. Is mess. Don`t think CAN help with anything that messes with pool when pool already broken.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#22 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 10:26 PM
I think that you'd be best creating a new main neighborhood, rather than a subneighborhood. Less data for us to process. Is that a problem?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#23 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 3:55 PM
Perhaps this stuff about pools and shaders could move somewhere else. It seems like a distraction from the issue about how to convert to a beach lot. My preference is to keep these discussions focused on what's needed to write the tools.
#24 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 8:03 PM
Mootilda:

Re neighborhood main vs sub: No problem, really. Just needed to KNOW before doing it "wrong", ya know.

Re the "other discussion": All *I* am discussing is why I think I cannot help there, and the only reason I`m discussing it *here* is that *here* is where the request that I help was made. ::shrug::

#25 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 7:17 PM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 15th Jul 2009 at 7:21 PM. Reason: Accidentally saved mesage BEFORE hitting Manage Attachments. Oops! ::blush::
Here are the requested lot and neighborhood packages. This is a brand-spanking-new neighborhood, with two lots added manually. Everything else is bog-standard, and left out of the archive. I can supply any of the missing files, if needed, but *they* were not requested. .
Attached files:
File Type: zip  LotComparisonPackages.Zip (289.2 KB, 19 downloads)
Description: Here are the requested files.

Page 1 of 3