Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2022 at 11:30 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Pets, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Can I enable rabbitholes as landmarks for edit town?
Hey guys,
I'm rebuilding the town I am playing in right now but I don't have enough space for all the lot ideas I have.
So I was thinking that you can probably enable the rabbit holes to be used in edit town with the object cloner, right? Because all the landmarks you can place in edit town show up in the same tab during build mode on a lot, too.

Has anyone done this and can confirm that it's possible and safe? I could imagine it causing problems with the routing somehow or maybe you can't delete them after you've placed them.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jan 2022 at 2:40 PM
I'll try saying it differently:

The rabbit holes in the game can only be placed on lots, because they only show up in build mode.
They can't be found in edit town mode (where you can decorate your town during gameplay and place objects outside of lots, like park benches or lamps or trees). But I want to place the rabbit holes anywhere in the world as well.

Since it is possible to take objects from buy/build mode and flag them as objects (=landmarks) to show up in edit town via the "object cloner" tool, I was wondering if that is possible for rabbit holes, too.

While this is definitely an option in theory, I am asking the community - specifically the people who may have some knowledge of creating custom content perhaps - if this is safe for my game. Meaning if it may cause problems like routing issues, the rabbitholes not being functional anymore, maybe even crashing etc.?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Jan 2022 at 6:57 PM
You'd need to extract the OBJD of the objects into a package, then mod it like this:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=453818
Never tried doing this for rabbitholes, so no idea how they function off-lot! I would suggest to backup and test it.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 12:18 AM
My expectation is that forcing rabbitholes onto the World Lot (the portions of the map where there are no lots) will make them unusable at best and ruin the gameplay of the world at worst. The type of lot is taken into account when rabbitholes are used as well as if/when they attract sims and the game is not expecting them to be on the one World Lot. That's not confirmation of any kind though, just a semi-uneducated guess.
Instructor
#7 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 2:06 AM
Not sure how they did it but there are rabbithole buildings not on lots in Beach City http://myworlds-rflong7.blogspot.co...-city.html#more. I have that world and they work just fine, not sure if something special was done to get them to work but try asking RFlong?
Instructor
#9 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 9:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mandelyn
Not sure how they did it but there are rabbithole buildings not on lots in Beach City http://myworlds-rflong7.blogspot.co...-city.html#more. I have that world and they work just fine, not sure if something special was done to get them to work but try asking RFlong?

Really? From what I've seen in the screenshot, the rabbit holes look like they were placed on lots. Maybe the creator took some kind of 'fake' or 'hidden' lot so the rabbit holes appear like they aren't on lots. There are special type of lots only available in CAW tool perhaps, like special two-lots in one big lot in Starlight Shores. I don't know I've never used CAW tool. Certainly it would cause trouble to the game if they are placed off-lots since rabbit holes have their own scripts.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
It's actually the other way around, the lots don't affect how RH attract, but the RH affects how the lots attract.

Maybe the way I said it was a bit awkward, but that's what I meant and what difference does it make? The point is that you are taking the World Lot and placing objects on it that will affect the extent to which sims are attracted to the World Lot (in its entirety). How is the open world supposed to function that way?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 10:19 AM
If you are actually building a world, then you can use SuperCAW which will allow all objects to be placeable in the world (on the global layer). The original question was about Edit Town Mode which was why I didn't mention it. But pretty sure that's how creators would have got the rabbitholes into the world.

@Igazor The lots are only attractive under certain circumstances though, right? Such as- town hall is attractive when a protest is on, job venue is only attractive when sim is pushed to work etc. The global layer doesn't have anything that makes sims 'hang out' there, such as a lot marked 'allow visitors' does. So maybe it would be okay? I think it needs some testing for sure though! Have you tried it or come across simmers with problems caused by this?
Instructor
#12 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 3:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
If you are actually building a world, then you can use SuperCAW which will allow all objects to be placeable in the world (on the global layer). The original question was about Edit Town Mode which was why I didn't mention it. But pretty sure that's how creators would have got the rabbitholes into the world.

@Igazor The lots are only attractive under certain circumstances though, right? Such as- town hall is attractive when a protest is on, job venue is only attractive when sim is pushed to work etc. The global layer doesn't have anything that makes sims 'hang out' there, such as a lot marked 'allow visitors' does. So maybe it would be okay? I think it needs some testing for sure though! Have you tried it or come across simmers with problems caused by this?

Some rabbit holes also attract sims, not only city hall. Stadium when there's a concert or game some sims will visit and watch, sims go to theater to watch movie or concert, bookstore and grocery store attract service sims when they're out on town, also for sims for buying and selling. Sims will eat out at bistro and diner. Police office when your criminal sim get caught and brought to by a police officer (it would cause routing confusion if it was placed off lot). And if you are playing with Twallan's SP, sims with business and education career will be pushed to attend meeting and give lecture to certain rabbit holes.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 3:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I@Igazor The lots are only attractive under certain circumstances though, right? Such as- town hall is attractive when a protest is on, job venue is only attractive when sim is pushed to work etc. The global layer doesn't have anything that makes sims 'hang out' there, such as a lot marked 'allow visitors' does. So maybe it would be okay? I think it needs some testing for sure though! Have you tried it or come across simmers with problems caused by this?

No, I've never even heard of placing rabbitholes on the World Lot let alone tested or helped players along with this. Hence my assessment of my own reaction as "a semi-uneducated guess," which admittedly doesn't make it worth much. It was more like an invitation for someone to prove me wrong. Not by just showing us how to place such lots, which is of course helpful too, but by assuring us from experience that gameplay on a well-populated world with or without NRaas SP was not negatively affected in any way by doing so.

Can someone please give me some Unhelpful and Disagree points here since I really don't know what I'm talking about and am just expressing unproven assumptions? I'm feeling left out and always like to have more attention.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 3:56 PM
I clicked all of the buttons under you Igazor, just so you don't feel left out! Reassuring that you haven't had anyone on NRaas report computer explosion due to putting rabbitholes on the world layer, but also maybe it's just that no-one has tried it! I've never played RFLong's worlds, so not sure about those but maybe someone will post who has played them.
Thanks for the info @legacyoffailures , but I'm not really seeing how having those objects on the world layer would affect things differently to having them on a lot? But I admit I haven't tried this, nor have I played with the later EPs very much (last world I built was for seasons). So any info or experiments that anyone can advise of would be welcome!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 4:48 PM
Thanks, and right back atcha simsample.
Alchemist
#16 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 5:42 PM
I have the Beach City and there is only one rabbit hole (in my version, at least) placed outside a lot; the Starlight Shores grocery store. Perhaps more than one might cause problems, I don't know.
Instructor
#18 Old 23rd Jan 2022 at 12:39 AM
I didn't really understand the first post either, but the second one was more clear.

Sorceress you are probably right about it only being the one RH in Beach City, haven't played in it in awhile but I did remember it was possible, but as Simsample said that was done in CAW, I did miss where OP wanted to try it in edit town.
Instructor
#19 Old 23rd Jan 2022 at 6:29 AM
You know the safest and easiest way to build a rabbithole when there's no enough lots? Get rabbithole rugs or doors so you could build multiple rabbitholes in a tiny 10x10 lot.

Alchemist
#20 Old 23rd Jan 2022 at 11:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mandelyn
Sorceress you are probably right about it only being the one RH in Beach City, haven't played in it in awhile but I did remember it was possible, but as Simsample said that was done in CAW, I did miss where OP wanted to try it in edit town.

Oh yes, of course, sorry about that. My bad.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 11:45 AM Last edited by GreenStar : 25th Jan 2022 at 12:37 PM. Reason: update on progress
Hello guys,
simsample's method actually worked!! Thank you so much for the tutorial
So far I haven't had any issues with the routing etc. and the rabbit holes remain fully functional.
Thank you all for your insight, I'll keep you updated if this method does mess up my game.

PS:
As you already realized yourselves, SuperCaw won't help me because I'm trying to edit an existing town in game
And I appreciate the recommendation for the rabbit hole rugs, but I want the original rabbit holes in my game because I like their exterior, not because I wanted to build new ones.
Nitromon, I am kindly asking you to stop replying to this thread as I feel like you've only come here to start fights with other members and go off topic. Thank you for understanding, I hope you do not take this request personally as we've generally had positive interactions on here so far.