Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jan 2023 at 7:05 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Laptop question
I got a new laptop it’s a gateway 11.6" Touchscreen 2-in-1s Laptop, Intel Celeron N4020, 4GB RAM, 64GB HD, Windows 10 Home, Blue, GWTC116-2BL

My question is will the sims on it!? Does it have all I need ?

Something tells me I should have gone for 10GB
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 9th Jan 2023 at 9:08 PM
These kind of Laptops arent made for gaming at all... It will run cause the Game is pretty old but you shouldn't set the graphics to high and look for after the temperature... And if you gonna use CC stay away from High Poly stuff...
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Jan 2023 at 10:33 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Jan 2023 at 4:03 PM.
Hoenstly don't know what's the point of those tiny harddrives on computers - you only end up filling them up too quickly...

Not sure if it counts the Windows installation, but that takes up a bit of space. Probably a few GB.
The game itself is about 13-14 GB. The saved game untouched is 1-2 GB (let alone what you'll do - neighborhoods could end up taking up a bit of space, and CC depends on how much you dare to stuff into it).
The game needs somewhere around 5-10 GB left on the harddrive to not complain about being unable to save.
When you're running graphics memory off the CPU and not a graphic card, you want enough space on there (looks like yours can access 8 GB VRAM, if I read it correctly?), so maybe 15-20 GB untouched to be on the safe side?

So be very wary what else you put on that computer when there's less than 64 GB to play around with.

Also, 4 GB RAM is going to be a bottleneck for Win10 (you're likely going to need the 4GB patch, which isn't recommended unless you've got more than 4 GB, so that could end up being an issue).

The tiny ones also tend to have bad air flow and/or get warm very fast when put under stress, but whether that's a big issue or not could depend on the hardware.

Play the game? Maybe. Little to no CC, definitely no hgh-poly, try to stay away from items with large textures, graphics lowered a bit, shaders off, no reflections or shadows, maybe use mods to remove weather (especially heavy snow, which is a memory hog like no other)... I mean, you could give it a try.

The laptop is probably more meant for schoolwork than for gaming, though.
Banned
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jan 2023 at 10:39 PM
Well it gave an uiodate to pick gaming

What king of laptop do you recommend?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 9th Jan 2023 at 10:53 PM
I agree with KiraNettt and simmer22- that's not a gaming laptop at all, you'll probably struggle to get Sims 2 to work on a Celeron, and the 4GB RAM is alarming too. You're going to struggle for hard drive space also.
This is a video showing performance on a similar laptop for games- if you read the description, the author gives the opinion that it is not suitable for games and Sims 4 is unplayable. Of course, Sims 2 may be different but you'll struggle with heat, lagging and storage space.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0DvvcXlzog

Edit: For Sims 2 you would be best with a laptop that has a decent graphics chip, at least 8GB RAM (more if possible) and more hard drive space. Don't get anything called Celeron for gaming, these are low performance chips. A desktop computer will have better cooling.
Banned
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jan 2023 at 12:09 AM
theres no space for a desktop at my home
Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jan 2023 at 1:26 AM
Well it gave an uiodate to pick gaming

What king of laptop do you recommend?
Banned
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Jan 2023 at 2:06 AM
whos poly? why do i have to stay away from her?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Jan 2023 at 5:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JoannaBailey
whos poly? why do i have to stay away from her?

Poly refers to polygons. A mesh that you add to your game like a custom content chair is made up of ploys. Polys are triangles, three points connected by a plane. So a "poly count" is simply the quantity of polygons in a 3d model. A high poly count means the mesh is more complicated and has more polys. So a 3K poly hair is low while 20K polys is high.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Jan 2023 at 1:54 AM
I played for nearly eight years on a netbook with only 2GB RAM, integrated Intel graphics, an Intel Atom processor, and Windows 7 Starter. I had to play with low resolution graphics, and didn't dare go above EP3 (Open for Business). It took about 15 minutes to load the game. (It grew slower as I got more CC.) Lag was always a bit of a problem, especially if I zoomed out on a large lot. But I enjoyed the game enormously -- enough to become completely hooked on it. "Obsessed" is probably the best word. I fell hopelessly in love with my Sims. I downloaded lots of Body Shop CC, mainly hair and sexy clothes for both sexes. I also had quite a lot of mods so the game played the to suit my playstyle -- protective, but with my Sims having at least as much fun as me! Maybe not so much build/buy CC, but I still felt I just about had all I wanted. I actually took part in a couple of building contests.

I now have a Dell gaming laptop, and am enjoying the high resolution graphics, which let me see my Sims and their neighbourhoods in all their glory. And I do love the fast load times! But I've stuck with just the first three EPs, because I know I enjoy playing with that configuration. And at least one of my favourite mods (by pinhead) was never updated for the later EPs.

So my experience is that playing on a low capability computer can be very satisfying if your prepared to accept (or live with) a few limitations. In my case there were (1) range of EPs/SPs, (2) low resolution graphics, (3) significant lag, especially on large lots, and (4) longer load times. Even with all these limitations, I found The Sims 2 utterly captivating. And of course in my imagination there are no limitations at all. My Sims were, and are, capable of anything.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Jan 2023 at 5:13 AM
I played for about 4-5 years on an XP laptop with 512 mb memory. Laggy as nobody's business, about 10 GB of CC took 3 hours loading time. Had to stop at FT because the lag got crazy, and it would warn when switching to VRAM. The last couple years or so, the screen started going black randomly, and in the end it didn't want to turn on even with the power cord plugged in. I didn't even know shaders existed (always wondered why aquariums didn't have fish) - I sincerely doubt that laptop would've managed shaders for very long even if I did manage to turn them on. This was back in 2006, so while laptops were less powerful, XP was a bit more optimized for the game, and managed to drag it along for a little while.

But just because it can run to some degree, doesn't mean it's a good idea. I've made sure my computers were a bit more powerful since then (even if I think that one actually was a somewhat decent mid-range for its time).
Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Jan 2023 at 10:42 AM
In my case I had the netbook for work, and I really wasn't in a position to buy a better one. It was then (2012) only a year old, so it was quite a bit newer than the game (which, as I'm sure you all know, dates from 2004). It was able to run the Microsoft SQL Server Engine, which I needed for work, and which more typically is run on big enterprise servers. I had seen some Sims videos on YouTube, and read a little about the Sims series on Wikipedia, and I liked what I saw. So, when I saw a cheap copy of The Sims 2 Double Deluxe in my local supermarket, I bought it in the hope that it would run on my computer. I then spent the next month carefully reading the little manual that came with the game, and the more I read, the more I wanted to play it. Eventually, after messing around a little in Body Shop, I started the game, made Andrew and Gloria, moved them into a little Veronaville house -- and was blown away! The game far exceeded all my expectations. It took me about a Sim hour to fall for both Andrew and his mum. They were so "real"! The relationship between them was so strong -- I'd never seen a teenage boy and his mother so close to each other. I soon discovered that my computer's graphics were far below the level that MTS recommended, but I was already completely hooked on the game. I was spending most of my time thinking about my Sims! I couldn't stop playing even if I wanted to.

So I had to play on the computer I had, and since I needed it for work, and I had to look after it. It was after all still quite new.

Eventually, a couple of years ago, when I had virtually stopped work, and was really my mother's full time carer, the limitations of the now aging netbook were getting hard to ignore, I persuaded my mother (sadly now my late mother) to buy me a new computer for my birthdar. And I'm afraid I have to admit that I never told her I was choosing a gaming laptop.

I love seeing my Sims in high resolution on my new computer, but for most of the time I've been a Simmer (and most of the time I've been on MTS) I was playing on the old netbook and enormously enjoying the game. Even on a quite basic computer -- provided you're willing to accept its limitations -- playing The Sims 2 can still be an enormously positive experience. I'd rather play on a low capability computer than not play at all.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 11th Jan 2023 at 12:07 PM
@AndrewGloria That Atom processor you had was probably a bit better than a Celeron though; plus you had Win 7 on there.
Banned
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Jan 2023 at 1:20 AM
i'm looking for a cc website i forget the name tho
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 13th Jan 2023 at 12:18 PM
i'm looking for a cc website i forget the name tho

It wasn't https://modthesims.info by any chance, was it?
Inventor
#16 Old 13th Jan 2023 at 3:41 PM
Relly surprising that a new computer is still made with a 64 GB of non-volatile memory. It's an "eMMC" so no possibility to upgrade it. Microsoft Windows is a real space hog today and demands at least 15 GB for itself. Previous versions of Windows XP were smaller. A 64 GB "disk", requires one to become a computer enthusiast, learn to be frugal with space, and mostly stick with older versions of software. Either that, or only do basic tasks like word processing. New software is like ideal gas: it expands to fill any available memory.

When it comes to sims you can delete the neighborhoods that you don't want to play to save space and focus on one. And build nice, compact homes. I used to play the game on a 1.6 GHz Celeron processor, and before that on a Pentium 4, but it is hard to believe today. I guess, I probably had object hiding on, and no snow. Out of all resources Sims maxes out the processor first, unless you increase the resolution with smooth edges.
Banned
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Jan 2023 at 7:14 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BF...haWwyp13NParams

Will this work?

And no not modthesims this website has clutter made to look like boxes of diapers and boxes of different dolls
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 23rd Jan 2023 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
Relly surprising that a new computer is still made with a 64 GB of non-volatile memory.

these low-cost notebook computers are made for doing everything through "the cloud" so you're not really supposed to use the hard drive for installing software or saving files. i kind of hate this approach to technology, but it makes sense as a cost-effective option if that's really all a person needs it for, such as a student who just needs to be able to browse the web and do homework. definitely not meant for much more than that, though.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#19 Old 23rd Jan 2023 at 6:33 AM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BF...haWwyp13NParams

Will this work?

Don't know why nobody answered this question. But yes. Definitely better than what you have now. I don't know how Windows 11 gets along with TS2, whether there are any tweaks/fixes you'd need to do.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 23rd Jan 2023 at 7:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I now have a Dell gaming laptop, and am enjoying the high resolution graphics, which let me see my Sims and their neighbourhoods in all their glory. And I do love the fast load times! But I've stuck with just the first three EPs, because I know I enjoy playing with that configuration. And at least one of my favourite mods (by pinhead) was never updated for the later EPs.

There's a lot your sims are missing out on too though. Pets, vacations, hobbies, seasonal activities. But then I always had to have all the shininess that was available. XD I would have whacked on all the EPs as soon as I had a laptop that could handle it.