Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 10:32 PM
Default Buying a bike\adult trike. Thoughts?
Okay years ago, my dad ordered for me off the internet a tricycle for adults.

One problem: I lived on hillsides the majority of my life and the tricycle was only intended for flat land and getting up steep hills meant pedaling up, while squeezing brakes in a rhythm that would get me uphill, but also damaging the brakes due to abusive squeezing.

As I am diagnosed with balance issues that I can't ride a bike, but I have experience riding trikes as I had griped and the latest models are rather interesting.

What are your thoughts in investment in a trike? As I can't use it until Spring, I'm going to squirrel away $150 before March 2016.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 10:49 PM
Maybe this would be better off in an existing thread, like Random Bollocks? That seems to be the general chat area and you can get plenty of advice there.

Actually, why don't we have a general thread where people can ask for advice? That sounds like it would be pretty useful.

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 10:57 PM
This link may help you with any concerns PANDAQUEEN:

http://www.recumbentbikes.info/faq.html

If you are unable to ride a Tricycle and a bike then I think a trike would be the next best thing or you could buy a normal bike and put some stabilisers on them, I'm sure you'll find some cheap on the internet, I actually think that would be better for you as I think it may be easier to get up the hills on a normal bike even with stabilisers. Hope this helps

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Inventor
#4 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 9:44 AM
Easy - if the hill is too steep, get off, walk it up the hill, get back on once at the top.
Scholar
#5 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 4:34 PM
If your bike has gears, change the gears. Makes going up hill much easier
Scholar
#6 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 10:13 PM
May I suggest the Can-Am Spyder?

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 11:21 PM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 21st Nov 2015 at 11:38 PM.
I see no issues with a tryke. Why not? Exercise is important to health and well-being and biking is an excellent exercise, It's also no big deal to walk a bike up a hill; you're still getting exercise.
Theorist
#8 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 11:50 PM
I think you should get a helicopter and skydive everywhere you need to go.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
I think you should get a helicopter and skydive everywhere you need to go.

I am not a fat, practically brain damaged man from Rhode Island.

Recently today, I had to give gift suggestions and said next to one "I am not a 6'1", socially inept wunderkind turn string theorist."

Did I mention the first trike was the worst $300 I'd ever invest in? My father was a terrible broker in this situation. He forgot we lived 2/3rds of the time on top of a hill, so combine an unsuitable bike, insufficient protection beyond bike helmets and a clumsy girl with weakened vision from constantly being "chained" to her station desk staring at extremely bright screens

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Theorist
#10 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 3:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
I am not a fat, practically brain damaged man from Rhode Island.

That is an odd and creepy-specific response to my comment.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 4:06 AM

It was a Family Guy reference.

#12 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 6:53 AM

The Lord of Creep just got creeped out?

My day is done! I can go home now.
Theorist
#13 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey
The Lord of Creep just got creeped out?

Whatever makes the days not longer for you.