Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 6:31 AM
Default "Dating" and Movies mutually exclusive now?
Acutally, Sims 3 seems a bit weird in that respect. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but...

In real life, though there is nothing wrong per se about going to the movies by yourself, the cinema is considered a highly social event. Go with a sibling, parent, friend, group, date - even your aunt! ...so long as you don't "feel stupid".

However, in the Sims 3, you can only watch a movie if you are alone. I mean... what? I nearly had a Sim watch a movie while his date (whom he had only JUST invited out to the theatre) decided to hang outside and read a book.

Really, was it so difficult to have a "Watch Movie With..." option? After all, you can tour with them.
Advertisement
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 4:02 PM
That is rather unfortunate.

I always assumed that you could watch a movie at the theatre with friends like you could eat at the bistro and diner but I guess I was wrong.

I bet they're going to use this opportunity to exploit us fans by releasing yet another "date" EP. Here. We. Go. Again.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 5:06 PM
I thought you could Woo Hoo in the theater, so why wouldn't you have the option to take another Sim with you?
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 5:16 PM
What the poster meant is that you could take tour with another sim but not watch a movie with them.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 6:05 PM Last edited by CuddlesdaTeddlyBear : 23rd Jul 2009 at 6:06 PM. Reason: Correcting grammatical errors
I noticed this too when one of my bachelor sims took his girlfriend out on a date. He was frugal and I assumed he was just being a cheap bastard and making her pay for herself, but when it happened again with a teenage sim who was hanging out with her friends I realized the error of the developer's ways.

If what CharmingFirewaller says is true then it's pretty weak on EA's part to exclude such an obvious group interaction for the sake of adding it to a 'date' expansion later on, and if the rumors of the next EP being an 'Education' or 'Vacation' pack are true, then we might have a while to wait.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 12:32 PM
Eurgh. Remakes of the old expansions. I had always viewed expansions as "This is the stuff we should have coded in the first place", add-at-the-last-minute things. But the fact they deliberately do not recreate basics from Sims 2 show that their approach is closer to "MOAR MONEEZ!"
As for "Woo Hoo" in the theatre, I don't know about it. I've never seen it come up, but then again I feel like such a perv if I make (or watch) my Sims do anything dirty. (Pull off headphones and look away inconspicuously...)
#7 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karsciyin
Eurgh. Remakes of the old expansions. I had always viewed expansions as "This is the stuff we should have coded in the first place", add-at-the-last-minute things. But the fact they deliberately do not recreate basics from Sims 2 show that their approach is closer to "MOAR MONEEZ!"
As for "Woo Hoo" in the theatre, I don't know about it. I've never seen it come up, but then again I feel like such a perv if I make (or watch) my Sims do anything dirty. (Pull off headphones and look away inconspicuously...)

That's what I believe they're trying to do. I could be wrong but it seems as though they're deliberately holding back features just so they could add them later and...charge us for an EP. Again.

If that wasn't the case my sims should be able to go to the movies together right now and eat at the same table at the bistro or make out in the car.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 11:23 PM
I have built a cinema, using the most expensive TV set and the most expensive stereo.
#9 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Angstrom
I have built a cinema, using the most expensive TV set and the most expensive stereo.

Hey, brilliant idea!

That never occured to me actually. So now I can just leave the rabbit hole theatre for the music career and backstage woohoo and build a real community lot with the TV so they could watch movies together. Woo!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 3:55 AM
...except of course, the same thing that irritated my in the SIms 2 prevails - commercial breaks during the movie. People modded two-story high TV screens for cinema-settings, but not only was the quality depressing since the videos weren't intended for screens of such size, there was constant channel flipping.
Of course, that was before the Freetime expansion when there were actual movies. But in Sims 3, there are, once again... no actual movies.

...they do this on purpose.
#11 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 6:18 AM
I agree with the first poster and I'm hoping this will be fixed in the next patch as their releasing it in a few weeks.What I do is add the friend to active family then pause I click on the main sim and have him go to movie then the friend.After unpausing they go in at about the same time then come out at the same time.This is also a problem with families so I do them the same way.When I'm thru with the friend I go into edit neighborhood and move them back into their house.

There is also the problem of sims not being able to get their friends to join them on the picnic basket,picnic tables and fishing.Once again till Ea fixes this it's best to use the testingcheatsenabled true then shift click on the sim and add them to family and make them join.
#12 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 6:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Karsciyin
...except of course, the same thing that irritated my in the SIms 2 prevails - commercial breaks during the movie. People modded two-story high TV screens for cinema-settings, but not only was the quality depressing since the videos weren't intended for screens of such size, there was constant channel flipping.
Of course, that was before the Freetime expansion when there were actual movies. But in Sims 3, there are, once again... no actual movies.

...they do this on purpose.

I know, they're such meanies!

They're probably saving date interactions and movies for an expansion pack. Gosh, did it ever occur to them to keep these and release EPs with original content?
Banned
#13 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 9:33 AM
I have been holding this back for awhile now...
I completely disagree with everyone who always complains about EA/Maxis. Yeah they made some stupid mistakes and the game is really buggy, but do you really think they did it on purpose?? I think they're smarter than that. They know that people like you guys will be upset about it, so why would they deliberately leave stuff out of the game? Ok maybe they knowingly didn't add every single little thing that everyone could want but they didn't leave important stuff out on purpose. IMHO.
Instructor
#14 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 9:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by supaclova
I completely disagree with everyone who always complains about EA/Maxis. Yeah they made some stupid mistakes and the game is really buggy, but do you really think they did it on purpose?? I think they're smarter than that. They know that people like you guys will be upset about it, so why would they deliberately leave stuff out of the game? Ok maybe they knowingly didn't add every single little thing that everyone could want but they didn't leave important stuff out on purpose. IMHO.

I have to agree to a point. Maxis WAS the one leaving much needed stuff out a lot thus the crap load of xpacs for TS1 and 2. I feel EA is learning from Maxis's mistakes though. I hope though.
Banned
#15 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 9:39 AM
Oh I do definitely agree that there are lots of problems with the game, but I don't think it's on purpose.
Instructor
#16 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 9:47 AM
If they had added all the sims 2 EPs into base game sims 3, not only would it have taken ages to come out but every detail would be rushed and unfinished. Not to mention buggy and unwieldy. Also, I can't much think of anything else they could have added after that.

However I think this particular issue is clearly an oversight on their part. Particularly since it just means they'll have to edit the theatre to have those features at some other date.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 11:50 AM
I like to think they left things out on purpose because if they didn't then that just reminds me how shoddy their work has become. Unfortunately they have a monopoly on life simulation games and I'm sure they know it, which allows them to get away with quite a bit, just like Microsoft. People will buy their product no matter how badly they make their games or how badly they treat their customers.

Reading over some of the core mod fixes to the game really can be depressing. Then one wonders how much was done on purpose when they had so many items in the ts3 store during the games release. They could have at least waited so we didn't feel so cheated. I don't think they care.
#18 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 12:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nvenya
I like to think they left things out on purpose because if they didn't then that just reminds me how shoddy their work has become. Unfortunately they have a monopoly on life simulation games and I'm sure they know it, which allows them to get away with quite a bit, just like Microsoft. People will buy their product no matter how badly they make their games or how badly they treat their customers.

Reading over some of the core mod fixes to the game really can be depressing. Then one wonders how much was done on purpose when they had so many items in the ts3 store during the games release. They could have at least waited so we didn't feel so cheated. I don't think they care.

My point exactly. If they really were running out of time and simply had to release the game as soon as possible, how did they manage to create and upload the store items that fast?

Those clothes and objects could have easily been in the base game. But no, we had to earn them.
#19 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 2:56 PM
Thank gosh for the add to family cheat.This does work.I have my sims and friends go watch a movie togeather all the time this way.I'm pretty sure this will be fixed in either the next patch or the first expansion pack.I think EA might have actually overlooked this and not caught it during testing.It will likely be fixed soon and if not a mod will fix it.Thank goodness for cheats thou.

The add to active family is aggrevating because you have to go into edit neighborhood and split the household up and move the other back into the original house but it's so worth it for getting sims to go to movies togeather,sit on the picnic table togeather,fish togeather etc.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 4:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by supaclova

The fact that you can eat dinner with a Sim though shows that the fact the movies cost money, or the fact you go as a group is NOT the obstruction. And seriously, how many people feel not the smallest bit embarrassed and/or lonely going to the movies by themselves?
I love the game of course, but it makes little sense to me.

Quote: Originally posted by sharkloverplayer
Thank gosh for the add to family cheat.This does work.I have my sims and friends go watch a movie togeather all the time this way.I'm pretty sure this will be fixed in either the next patch or the first expansion pack.I think EA might have actually overlooked this and not caught it during testing.It will likely be fixed soon and if not a mod will fix it.Thank goodness for cheats thou.

The add to active family is aggrevating because you have to go into edit neighborhood and split the household up and move the other back into the original house but it's so worth it for getting sims to go to movies togeather,sit on the picnic table togeather,fish togeather etc.

Sure is aggravating... I used to "make Sims selectable" in the Sims 3 regularly so I could check up on their needs (and drag motives upwards using "testingcheatsenabled" if necessary). But it gets a bit time-consuming in Sims 3, so I don't think I'll bother about helping any of the NPCs or neighbours with their needs - even when NPC and neighbours start whining to ME about them being hungry, or tired, even though I CANNOT HELP THEM and they are supposed to take care of themselves!

...I had a music star (Movie Score Composer) play for tips outside the theatre. I had about thirty people watching her (no exaggerating). They all got super-tired and did nothing but whine. Eventually they started napping on the ground then going home. Of course, since they don't nap for long there was no Slumber Party but they dropped one after another like flies! The others just stood and watched until they passed out. It was mildly annoying, but mostly incredibly amusing.