Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2022 at 3:39 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Is there a way to reinstall my Sims 2 on my new computer?
Hello everyone! I have all of the sims 2 expansions in the form of discs, and they're all installed correctly on my old computer. My problem is, I got a new computer a few months ago since my old computer was very slow and laggy. I haven't reinstalled the Sims 2 on my new computer as a few of the leaflets that held the installation code for the disc have been misplaced. Is there any way that I could just transfer my Sims 2 game files over to my new computer? I bought a USB stick and today tried just copying my Sims 2 folder over to my new computer - but that didn't work which I thought might happen. Is the only way to reinstall the discs again or is there any other way I could transfer my game files? Sorry if this is a silly question. Thank you for your help!!!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 10th Mar 2022 at 5:08 PM
Did you ever register your game? If so, you used to be able to log in to EA and look up your installation code.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Mar 2022 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
Did you ever register your game? If so, you used to be able to log in to EA and look up your installation code.

I only got my sims 2 discs about a year ago, and I don't remember registering them anywhere apart from my computer when I was installing it. Where would I be able to log into EA? I'm a bit confused, sorry! Thank you
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Mar 2022 at 8:56 PM
If you still have access to the old computer, you can retrieve the keys from the registry:
Game Help:Finding Your License Keywiki
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Mar 2022 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
If you still have access to the old computer, you can retrieve the keys from the registry:
Game Help:Finding Your License Keywiki

This is perfect! I was so worried I would have to rebuy some of my discs. Thank you so much, I will start the gruelling task of reinstalling the whole game tomorrow
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Mar 2022 at 12:12 AM
Good luck, you will need this:
https://modthesims.info/showthread....458#post4051458
Patches are here:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...elp:TS2_Patches

Quote:
Here's what you have to do:

1 - proceed with the installation as usual (write the code, select the folder etc etc)
2 - when the installation ends (succesfully), close it properly, take the CD out
3 - click on the grumpyloader exe and run it (you will be asked the permission to install it etc etc)
4 - Load the patch exe file in the grumpy loader window (it's very easy, you will see)
5 - the patch starts the installation and the program will find two errors. You just have to ignore them by clicking yes
6- try to click on the patch exe file again and it will tell you that the EP (Nightlife, for example) has already been updated.

Bear in mind that there may still be issues with using new hardware/ operating system with Sims 2; many people also find it easier to install the Origin version of the game, or download the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from elsewhere instead of using disks. Help with that here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sims2help/wiki/index
I use the disks on Win 10 successfully as I like to use AnyGameStarter to run a basegame only environment occasionally. Disc install is the only way to do this. But if you do not wish to ever run the game without M&G then the UltimateCollection may be a lot easier. There is also lots of help with getting modern hardware to work with the game- if you search for Graphics Rules Maker on this forum you should find plenty of recent advice.