Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th May 2022 at 2:47 AM
Default Returning to TS3
Look, I made a mistake. I played TS3 today.

I tried to like TS4. I really did. CAS and build mode are fantastic, and the art style finally grew on me.

What I can't get over though, is how...empty and soulless the game is. How closed off. How basic. Even with the obvious NSFW mods added in. Sadly, it's only $4-500 later that I figured it out.

So, I'm looking to get back into TS3. Even with the pudding, even with the stuttering graphics, even with the perpetual Error Code 12's, it's just so much more enjoyable. But, since I've been out of the mix for so long, I'm turning to the hive mind here.

I'm asking/begging/pleading for help in making TS3 as good as it gets under 1.67, because only by the grace of god did I avoid the Origin upgrade. Your must have script and object mods and skins, even the NSFW. Your best performance tips. Everything. I'm effectively Gary Oldman in the Professional right now, and I don't know what to do.
Advertisement
Instructor
#3 Old 12th May 2022 at 3:29 AM
Start at Nraas, don't use high poly crap hair and objects, clean your game regularly, geez I dunno it's all automatic for someone who's never stopped played TS3.

Perhaps you could tell us where you're at, what level of advice you need? What have you got so far? Since you're begging
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th May 2022 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsmidgen
Start at Nraas, don't use high poly crap hair and objects, clean your game regularly, geez I dunno it's all automatic for someone who's never stopped played TS3.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any general guides as to the stuff they do to keep savegames alive?

I.e. the best NRAAS settings, external programs, etc.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 12th May 2022 at 6:56 AM
This is a good start: https://www.nraas.net/community/TIP...AME-PERFORMANCE IT says game performance but it really means game and computer health.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 12th May 2022 at 3:38 PM
If you play legacy, keep to smaller or medium worlds.
The smooth patch. It might take some fiddling. https://modthesims.info/d/658759/sm...atch-1-2-1.html
Make sure your graphics card is recognized and FPS limited.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th May 2022 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Gary Oldman in the Professional was a psychotic murderer... I'm not getting the reference.

Look, you play your way, I'll play mine. *ducking*
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th May 2022 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsmidgen

Perhaps you could tell us where you're at, what level of advice you need? What have you got so far? Since you're begging

I'm sort of back to square one on this. I still have all my mods/etc installed, including all of the NRAAS mods. It used to be automatic. Decrapified everything, including worlds so I didn't have to rely on installing through the launcher. Everything is in .world or .package format.

The high poly count mods is where I probably get in trouble, so that seems like a good place to start. But even with that, I'm interested in any default skin replacements for a bit more realism/less pudding and overall performance tricks. Plus, in the off chance that folks are still continuing mod development to keep the game alive.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th May 2022 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
You don't want to know. lol

Aside from savegame cleaner, errortrap, and those goodies. You have to go into NRASS MC, sims, basic, family tree, and choose the dead+mini sims. Go through each one and limit their family tree. I keep it at 4, so any of them reaching 5 generations I wipe out the dead ghost. Or I delete any of them that does not affect other family trees. Otherwise you'll end up with 1000 residents and error 12 city. That is if you're a legacy player.

But even so, recently I still had to port every building and people out and replace in a new bridge port b/c the savefile was bloating to 50 min save. Now it saves at 5 mins. I still don't know what causes it except it has something to do with traveling to other worlds. I travel to like 10+ vacation worlds. I think it is especially problematic if you marry someone from another world and bring that person to your homeworld b/c you literally double your homeworld family tree with theirs.

This is *incredibly* helpful. My gameplay style is very similar. Generational play/switching active households between family members, plus I'd also travel to many vacation worlds and often times move family members there. I used savegame cleaner, but this MC trick – as much as it sounds like work! – is golden advice. I can deal with the stuttering and slower save game files, Error 12's are soul crushing.

Thank you!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 14th May 2022 at 2:12 AM
I play totally legacy style. My family is over 30 generations. I do not have error 12s or game lag on an now about 12 year old PC. I do use Nraas error trap and overwatch to clean the game. I have moved the family to the new world with each EP and have moved them to many custom worlds I have done. So that may help that my saves in any world are not that long/big? I also clean my caches and scan my CC with dashboard constantly. I have tons of CC but I use packages and have divided it into many groups. So when I play I have only that CC in my game.