Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2022 at 10:05 PM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 26th Jul 2022 at 1:53 AM. Reason: better wording for clarity and context

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Seasons
Default The efficacy of facial sculpting sliders in CAS vs. plastic surgery
As any seriously nerdy Sim creator would agree, the original "Maxis" tools for shaping Sims' faces in Create-A-Sim (CAS)... well, let's just say they left a lot to be desired. Along the way, several 3rd-party Sims CC creators have come up with additional facial sculpting sliders, to give the Simmer a more nuanced ability to get the look right for their little digital people. In CAS, these for the most part work as they're intended. I have pretty much every slider ever created for Sims 2, although some of their functions do admittedly overlap, and I could probably profit from going down the long list and getting rid of the redundant ones... but that's a project for a different day.

There are ways, outside of CAS, to alter facial structure from within the game, in case the native aging algorithms don't produce what you want, or if you discover some of these 3rd party sliders after your Sims are already extant, and want to upgrade their looks. One is through the "Gussy Up > Plastic Surgery" dialog; the other is by using the SimBlender object: "Change Appearance > Plastic Surgery", both of which require custom content downloads. Now that I've fully tested both methods, I've come to the conclusion that they both work exactly the same. Know that, while pretty much every facial sculpting slider works as advertised during the CAS process, if you're going to change your Sim's faces after that, via plastic surgery... while you'll be able to see all of the sliders that you've installed, some will actually work, and some won't. To wit:

All of the original Maxis/EA sliders work just fine, as do the ones you can "import" from the Body Shop app (although I can't remember exactly what download allows this import... feel free to chime in).

Any slider that controls left/right facial symmetry seems to work normally.

The Nopke sliders all appear to work as advertised, as do the ones from Lifa.

The MGSB sliders are most likely cloned from an "ear raise/lower" slider, because that's all they do.

Likewise, the Uranium Z sliders only raise and lower the ears.

On the other hand, the Kerosene and Crisps sliders seem to be cloned from an "eyebrow-pinch" slider, because that's all they do.

Similarly, the digitalangels sliders only affect the width of the space between the eyebrows.

The mmnt sliders don't appear to have any effect at all, outside of CAS.

There's a "Bat Ears" slider, which doesn't include the creator's name, that actually changes the entire face, as if your Sim were standing in front of a funhouse mirror. This oddity only happens when editing a previously created Sim, using "plastic surgery." In CAS, it just makes the ears more or less "bat-like."

Hopefully this info will help somebody, and admins, feel free to edit this post to insert links, or whatever you think will make it more useful.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Jun 2022 at 7:16 PM
I know that TwoJeff's Sim Blender allows you to perform plastic surgery on a sim under "Appearance > Makeover > Plastic Surgery". This allows you to use custom sliders (at least Nopke's, anyhow, those are the only sliders I have, but I assume other custom sliders would show up as well?)

And you may ask yourself, "Am I right? Am I wrong?"
And you may say to yourself, "My God! What have I done?"
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jun 2022 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MintFinch
I know that TwoJeff's Sim Blender allows you to perform plastic surgery on a sim under "Appearance > Makeover > Plastic Surgery". This allows you to use custom sliders (at least Nopke's, anyhow, those are the only sliders I have, but I assume other custom sliders would show up as well?)

Ahhh. I know I haven't fully explored the Blender options, so I will check it out. All of my sliders do SHOW UP under "gussy up"... they just don't all do what they're supposed to. I'll let you know if they work under the Blender. Thanks for the suggestion!
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Jun 2022 at 6:06 PM
original post edited.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 21st Jun 2022 at 6:46 PM Last edited by MintFinch : 21st Jun 2022 at 7:47 PM.
Uff da....I'll download some of the sliders you mentioned and test them out in my game to see if I have the same issue.

In the meantime, the Bodyshop sliders for CAS mod can be found here: https://simmanipulator.forumotion.c...rs-added-to-cas (:

EDIT: So far, for me mmnt's sliders work as intended using SimBlender's Plastic Surgery.

And you may ask yourself, "Am I right? Am I wrong?"
And you may say to yourself, "My God! What have I done?"
Scholar
#6 Old 21st Jun 2022 at 9:37 PM Last edited by Tleilaxu3 : 23rd Jun 2022 at 3:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by chitownriverscum
As any seriously nerdy Sim creator would agree, the original "Maxis" tools for shaping Sims' faces in Create-A-Sim (CAS)... well, let's just say they left a lot to be desired. Along the way, several 3rd-party Sims CC creators have come up with additional facial sculpting sliders, to give the Simmer a more nuanced ability to get the look right for their little digital people. In CAS, these for the most part work as they're intended. I have pretty much every slider ever created for Sims 2, although some of their functions do admittedly overlap, and I could probably profit from going down the long list and getting rid of the redundant ones... but that's a project for a different day.

There are ways, outside of CAS, to alter facial structure from within the game, in case the native aging algorithms don't produce what you want, or if you discover some of these 3rd party sliders after your Sims are already extant, and want to upgrade their looks. One is through the "Gussy Up > Plastic Surgery" dialog; the other is by using the SimBlender object: "Change Appearance > Plastic Surgery", both of which require custom content downloads. Now that I've fully tested both methods, I've come to the conclusion that they both work exactly the same. Know that, while pretty much every facial sculpting slider works as advertised during the CAS process, if you're going to change your Sim's faces after that, via plastic surgery... while you'll be able to see all of the sliders that you've installed, some will actually work, and some won't. To wit:

All of the original Maxis/EA sliders work just fine, as do the ones you can "import" from the Body Shop app (although I can't remember exactly what download allows this import... feel free to chime in).

Any slider that controls left/right facial symmetry seems to work normally.

The Nopke sliders all appear to work as advertised, as do the ones from Lifa.

The MGSB sliders are most likely cloned from an "ear raise/lower" slider, because that's all they do.

Likewise, the Uranium Z sliders only raise and lower the ears.

On the other hand, the Kerosene and Crisps sliders seem to be cloned from an "eyebrow-pinch" slider, because that's all they do.

Similarly, the digitalangels sliders only affect the width of the space between the eyebrows.

The mmnt sliders don't appear to have any effect at all, outside of CAS.

There's a [B]"Bat Ears" slider[/B], which doesn't include the creator's name, that actually changes the entire face, as if your Sim were standing in front of a funhouse mirror. I could be wrong, but I believe it also does this in CAS: it's not just the ears that change.

Hopefully this info will help somebody, and admins, feel free to edit this post to insert links, or whatever you think will make it more useful.

A link to the bat ears slider that changes the entire face ?
I have a sim whose face I'm trying to make and I have all the above sliders except the 'bat ears' one.
The other sliders do not change the tilt or line in the middle of the mouth, just the corners.

I'll post a pic of the sim when I can.
Tia.

Here is the sim.
The middle of his mouth is slanted .
I have at least two sets of sliders that tilt both of the outer edges separately.
It was the very middle section I couldn't tilt.
I had wanted to make a sim like this one.
But it's o.k. if I just reuse this sim.

Was curious if there's a slider that will slant the very middle section of the mouth ?

Thanks for the link !
Screenshots

" Inama Nushif "
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2022 at 3:57 AM
Yeah, that's odd that they don't in my game. But then, I have so many sliders that I probably have some that would do more or less the same thing.

EDIT: So far, for me mmnt's sliders work as intended using SimBlender's Plastic Surgery
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2022 at 4:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tleilaxu3
A link to the bat ears slider that changes the entire face ?

Okay, I'm not gonna swear that it does the "fun mirror" weirdness in CAS, or that it ACTUALLY does it in Plastic Surgery, but... it definitely looks like it does in the Plastic Surgery preview ( I never went through with the action, since I didn't really want to change the Sim I tried it on)... I'll try to remember to test it on some "disposable" Sim, and take pics next time I'm in the game. Here's the link to the LiveJournal site where the actual package download links live... I'm not gonna put hotlinks here to the downloads, and... click at your own risk, obviously... the page is in Cyrillic, for whatever that's worth. Also, there's TWO links for each download; I wasn't sure about the Yadi.sk site, so I followed the other one: the Skydrive link, which turned out to be a OneDrive account. On the LiveJournal page, the preview just looks like it affects the ears. But that is NOT what I saw in the "Gussy Up" action preview. ANyhow, good luck.

https://hexanticle.livejournal.com/22134.html
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Jul 2022 at 5:28 AM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 26th Jul 2022 at 1:51 AM.
[QUOTE=Tleilaxu3]A link to the bat ears slider that changes the entire face ?

Here are the promised (and long overdue) pictures of the bat ears. As you can see, it makes the Sim's whole face look very odd... but it only does this in the "Plastic surgery" dialog, not in the original CAS process.

Slider neutral.

Slider right.

Slider left.