Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 6:33 AM
Default #SaveRalph
So I found this a bit funny.

In the Lazy Game Reviewer's review of the recently-released Cool Kitchen Stuff, he commented on the fact that this is the third stuff pack we've received in three months. This obviously seems a bit excessive, so in an effort to combat this, he came up with a game: Sims 4 Hangman!

This is Ralph. Ralph was an ordinary guy like you and me, but now Ralph's life is in peril. This is because for every stuff pack released for the Sims 4, Ralph loses a body part.

As there have been 3 stuff packs released for Sims 4 so far, Ralph has lost 3 limbs, his left foot & hand, and his tie.

Ralph's fate is now in EA's hands: will they cull their stuff pack releases and save Ralph, or will they continue with their fast releases and condemn Ralph to a painful, limbless life?

What is your opinion? Should Ralph be saved?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 7:52 AM
I find this pretty pointless honestly. I watched his review on the pack and starting it off with this childish bit was infuriating. I barely felt like the video was an actual review and more of just him expressing his own frustration with ea.

Check out my Simblr
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 8:30 AM
It was *meant* to be a reply to "do I hate EA?" not a review in this instance.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
#4 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 8:53 AM
'' I don't hate the sims ''

* Holds puppet hostage for his frustration *
Inventor
#5 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 8:58 AM
As a fan of his and a viewer looking for his opinions and thoughts on a pack I want his review videos to be just that a review. I don't want his feelings or opinions of the company and it's creators to be included in it. I want the sole focus to be of product of said review.

I hope that this isn't going to be a continuous thing because I do want to watch his reviews since he is usually right and spot on with them (and funny) but if they're going to be just like this one then I'm not gonna see much reason for me to continue watching.

Check out my Simblr
#6 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 9:05 AM
VentusMatt his review videos ARE review videos. This was NOT a review video! He did a seperate one that was a Kitchen Stuff review. If you don't want to see his personal comment videos don't watch them. Surely you could tell from the title that it wasn't a review? Do you want a law brought in that if a YouTube contributor becomes known mainly for a particular type of video, then they are not allowed to ever upload any other type of video?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Inventor
#7 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 9:09 AM
So that fact that it's called "LGR - The Sims 4 Cool Kitchen Stuff Review" doesn't make it a review video?

https://youtu.be/uD2xzH1fc7g

Check out my Simblr
Inventor
#8 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 9:12 AM
The Ralph doll bit wasn't part of his "LGR - Do I Hate The Sims?" video it was part of his CK review.

Check out my Simblr
#9 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 9:16 AM
Oh! Well maybe Ralph could have been a seperate one on its own then. With a GoFundMe button attached for Ralph's appeal defence

I have removed my disagrees from your posts and put them on my own. I watched both videos and must have got them mixed up.

Inventor
#10 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 9:50 AM
It's all good

Check out my Simblr
Mad Poster
#11 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 12:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gizmoman49
Ralph's fate is now in EA's hands: will they cull their stuff pack releases and save Ralph, or will they continue with their fast releases and condemn Ralph to a painful, limbless life?

What is your opinion? Should Ralph be saved?

My opinion? It was somewhat funny and somewhat horrifying. I don't know why I relate so much to a stuffed doll, but it has a form that makes me feel the pain when a part gets snipped off. It reminded me a little of Mr. Bill and the clay figure that was tortured on Saturday Night Live. ("Oh no, Mr. Bill, he's going to hurt me!")

I would have preferred it wasn't a part of LGR's review. It's a little too violent for my taste, although I understand the appeal. And blaming EA, when LGR is holding the scissors, is again a little bit funny, but also a little bit wrong.

I'm ok with LGR saying he feels the stuff pack isn't worth it or that there are too many stuff packs, but I would have preferred he left this bit out.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 1:39 PM
I like LGR and I very much enjoy his reviews, but I don't get why he's got a bug up his ass about the stuff packs. Frustration because the game is not going the direction he likes? Sure. Irritation with EA? Okay. But the stuff packs are fluff content and and a replacement of the abomination that was the Sims 3 store. Are they pointless? Yup. Just like pretty much every stuff pack ever made for any of the games in this series and everything that was ever posted on the Sims 3 store. But they're also priced a hell of a lot better than anything that's ever been on the Sims 3 store too.

Why he's picked this particular hill to make his stand on when it comes to dissatisfaction with the series, I really don't get.
#13 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 1:49 PM
No I don't think it's that, I am getting the impression he was feeling like he explained in the why do I hate video then another meh stuffpack comes out and in his already frustrated state that's what happened to be the whipping boy.

Field Researcher
#14 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 1:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
No I don't think it's that, I am getting the impression he was feeling like he explained in the why do I hate video then another meh stuffpack comes out and in his already frustrated state that's what happened to be the whipping boy.

You're probably right. It makes a bit more sense to me that way, although that other video about not hating the Sims seemed to come out of the blue too. He gave a mixed review of the first game (quite rightly I thought) because it's a base game and like The Sims 3 base game it was missing some content and has some issues. But his reviews of GTW, OR and SD have all been very positive. So to suddenly be fed up and do a 180 on the entire series during a review about silly stuff packs when stuff packs have always been silly and the content is being added in a way that's cheaper and less intrusive than the last incarnation is very strange to me.

I dunno. I get that he's dissatisfied. I don't think it's wrong for him to be upset. It's just strange the way that it's manifesting over something that's really an improvement over the way it was done before.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 2:14 PM
I don't know the stuffed doll thing so I don't give a rat's arse if it gets hacked to pieces. I personally don't buy stuff packs (I have no control over someone gifting me them though) as they have had few innovative items I just have to have (damn TS2's mansion stuff with the new staircases for being an exception to that rule) that I've not been able to get from the mod community.

However, when I get back on Facefriends some day, pictures of the family Lenny the Leopard-Bear should be up from his upcoming U.S. tour of the model train convention and if anything happens to him while he is away from us (he's travelling with family friends as a model train club's mascot), I'll cry like a little crying child! So, I suppose some people might fall for the stuffed doll guy thing...

-- The Roc
Mad Poster
#16 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 2:35 PM
I thought his points were obvious to understand. The pack count has increased from 4 to 12 and he's feeling like the series isn't taken as seriously as it should be. I saw it as not so much as a dislike of the series, but the direction that it's going.

Over Saturation kills anything. As a prominent Sims reviewer, he's probably tired as hell of reviewing "Shameless single 'gameplay' object + Useless junk" bundles.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
#17 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 2:40 PM
Also he's probably frustrated that he can no longer take pride in the fact he covers every EP of every game he reviews due to there being more than he can actually cope with. Everyone who takes pride in doing their job well gets upset when the workload increases to the point they can't do it all well any more.

Smeg Head
#18 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 6:03 PM
Comparing Stuff Packs with their TS2 or TS3 equivalents is probably the wrong way to go about it. In that regard, yes, it would seem they are coming in thick and fast, as if something were wrong. Like EA are selling off all they can as quick as they can before the ship sinks. But I don't think TS4 is doing that badly a year in. I would guess the Stuff Pack name could have been chosen a bit better, they are more like Store Packs, but as there is no Sim Store for TS4, then they've just gone with the familiar "Stuff" prefix. But like their TS3 Store counterparts, once a months seems about right. I'm sure that was a very successful element for TS3, so why would they abandon it for TS4? They haven't, a once a month Stuff Pack is the same thing.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 7:00 PM
I'm confused... So a "review" can only be positive comments gushing of the awesomeness of the reviewed product? To me that was a review, which is meant to be the reviewers opinion. He stated his opinions on the content in the pack and then gave his to buy or not to buy recommendation. And I think Ralph fit perfectly in with his opinion of the pack as his opinion seemed to be that they could have done better on this pack and that they are focusing on quantity over quality.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Silly Merricat
I like LGR and I very much enjoy his reviews, but I don't get why he's got a bug up his ass about the stuff packs. Frustration because the game is not going the direction he likes? Sure. Irritation with EA? Okay. But the stuff packs are fluff content and and a replacement of the abomination that was the Sims 3 store. Are they pointless? Yup. Just like pretty much every stuff pack ever made for any of the games in this series and everything that was ever posted on the Sims 3 store. But they're also priced a hell of a lot better than anything that's ever been on the Sims 3 store too.

Why he's picked this particular hill to make his stand on when it comes to dissatisfaction with the series, I really don't get.

So much, this is how I feel about stuff packs.

It would be like a GW2 fan complaining about gem store weapon skins. It's fluff.

I don't see the point in removing stuff packs either personally and I don't think he should even review them as there is not much to review. Either you will like the objects in the pack or you won't. I sort of like the new SPs because of the gameplay objects and really the SPs replaced the store content. The real value now are the GPs which are like mini-EPs

Old SPs were $20 and new ones are $10 so it should obvious that the new ones will have maybe half the content (although IMO one gameplay object is worth like 10 deco items) and again, I really don't see the point of them stopping. I think they know that people will either hate or love the constant stream of DLC and why take that away from those that love them?

His opinion is his opinion though, I guess I just don't agree with the idea of having less SPs and for $10 it may be a little much to expect 50+ items like SPs of old in them. I do agree though that for a KITCHEN SP it didn't have much of that. They should just keep them a lot more focused. Could have called this one Cool Ice Cream pack and added all those clothes, some ice cream decor, the hairs and be done with it. Seems like half of EAs problem is presentation.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Field Researcher
#21 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 7:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Over Saturation kills anything. As a prominent Sims reviewer, he's probably tired as hell of reviewing "Shameless single 'gameplay' object + Useless junk" bundles.

How is the market any more over-saturated than it was during the life cycle of the Sims 3? I mean, basically stuff packs are the replacement for the Sims 3 store. The quantity of released fluff seems to be about the same. That's why I find it weird that he's suddenly now bothered by all of the content coming out. It's been this way for years - they've just repackaged and repriced the Sims 3 store in to Sims 4 stuff packs. Hell, considering the absolute rip off pricing of the Sims 3 store, stuff packs are priced so much better.

I mean, I get the idea of getting burned out and not wanting to review stuff packs. That would be tedious as hell. He shouldn't feel compelled to do it now that store content has been re-bundled into once a month stuff packs. But the market isn't any more or less saturated than it's been in the last five years.
Scholar
#22 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 7:38 PM
All this talk and no one stops to think about Ralph. #SaveRalph
Mad Poster
#23 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 8:02 PM
Clint wasn't doing reviews monthly, and mjor release werent coming out monthly, either. That's the difference.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#24 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Clint wasn't doing reviews monthly, and mjor release werent coming out monthly, either. That's the difference.

The other difference is TS4 has no store.

The stuff packs are the store packs now. Consider this...

Future shock set, 10 futuristic items plus a gameplay object for $10 (unless you had the SP laying around)

Country living 25 items and a gameplay item $20

So I would not count stuff packs as a major release. It's fluff content like the stuff from the store packs.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Mad Poster
#25 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tamsin88
I'm confused... So a "review" can only be positive comments gushing of the awesomeness of the reviewed product?
I'm even more confused. I didn't think anyone here said that at all.
Page 1 of 2