Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2022 at 2:15 PM Last edited by Disil07 : 24th Mar 2022 at 2:02 PM. Reason: Question has been solved

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Is it typical to have low FPS on Intel Celeron?
I bought a new laptop in March 2022, and I'm able to get TS2 (the disc) running on it. However, its not running so well when I installed the ultimate collection (from oldgamesdownload). I don't want to play with TS2 base game only, because I want to have the 'fullest experience out of TS2.

Once I add some corruption 'preventing mod' (especially BO No Sim Loaded), lag are reduced, it is now playable. But lag when moving camera still occurred.

I have tried using SimsRPC, GRM, DEP exclusion, even adding TS2 to Defender's exclusion list, it only helps a bit. Here's my system specs:
  • Intel Celeron N5100
  • Intel UHD Graphics
  • SSD 256GB
  • RAM 4GB
  • Windows 11
According to my own analysis on the system requirements page on SimsWiki, my system theoretically able to run TS2 well (way above the minimal requirements). So am I doing things wrong, or the system is just too weak for this old game?

Edit: solved, by not running the UC because apparently my system can't handle it. Now I run OFB and NL, and so far there is no lag at all!
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2022 at 6:46 PM
With those specs, the full game will lag. Windows 11 will take 2-3Gbs of RAM just to run the pc, and that is with absolutely nothing else running. M&G requires a minimum of 1Gb and a 2.4Ghz cpu for Vista and later.

Game_Help:System_Requirements/MTS2_Recommendationswiki
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2022 at 7:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Mar 2022 at 8:10 PM.
With no CC and probably also with low-to-medium graphic settings, it's possible you'll get less lag. If you turn graphics to max and want to use CC, you can pretty much expect the game to be laggy.

In my experience, Windows 10 (plus a couple other background tasks) rarely go lower than 3-4 GB, and the game uses at least 1-2 GB, but should be given access to 4 GB or it easily crashes, but also can get pink-flashy more easily (especially with CC or high graphics involved). Ideally you'll want 8 GB RAM or more with the later Windows versions.

Other things can also cause lag - anything that causes thinking time, like weather/snow, overlays and transformations (werewolves, freeze/sunburn/witch), CAS-related menus (buy clothes, change appearance), visiting sims/pets, large lots, CC, many sims on the lot (particularly if they have high.poly CC with large textures), and similar.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2022 at 5:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Want to use CC

When I say mods before, I mean only mods, not CC. Is it possible some mods make lags? (even if they don't throw error)

If the full game can't be run on my system, then what expansion is the most suitable for my system? (I mean the most new EP/SP that my system can probably run well)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2022 at 6:22 AM
Everything that didn't come with the vanilla game is technically CC, whether it's a mod or a CC item.

Depends what kinds of mods you mean. If it's tiny fixes they shouldn't do much impact, but if it's defaults or anything that contains meshes or textures, those can pile up. Some default replacements can be a lot worse for the game than the original items because they increase the polycount and/or texture size. Same with mods for better graphics (depends a bit on the type). Certain mods could potentially cause more lag.

Mods that reduce the load on the system and bugfixes are the kind of mods you'll want to use.

It's difficult to say which or how many expansions your system can comfortably run. You may have to test it out. Try with the basegame first, then install your favorite EPs and see how far you get before the lag becomes unbearable. Preferably stop before that if you want to use some CC (apart from simple mods/fixes)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2022 at 8:28 AM Last edited by Disil07 : 23rd Mar 2022 at 8:29 AM. Reason: Made the text more understanable
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Mods that reduce the load on the system and bugfixes are the kind of mods you'll want to use.

What mods do you mean? I only knew some from simsWiki. Can you give me recommendation/list of mod that reduce load on system?

I'm not interested in CC or default replacements, I just want mods to run fine (because some mods require AL or newer to run)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2022 at 3:23 PM
Examples are the ones that keep extra NPCs from spawning like "no (x) regen/respawn" type mods, and "No Sim Loaded" is also supposed to reduce lag. There's a list of useful mods here: https://pleasantsims.com/sims-2-mods/ (all have quick descriptions of what they do - The "Essential" mods aren't necessarily essental for everyone, but some of them can be useful).

If you rarely or never play with townies or default NH sims, then empty hood and bin templates could also help (fewer sims to load/generate).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Mar 2022 at 12:18 AM
Does 'no sim loaded' compatible with OFB? I will install base game, uni, nl, and ofb only, because those are the only ep that I enjoyed.

Also how to check if a mod compatible/not compatible with OFB?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 24th Mar 2022 at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Disil07
Does 'no sim loaded' compatible with OFB?

Yes (I think so), but read the topics to make sure (original, Midge's edit, and Cyjon's smarter EP check which is required)

Quote: Originally posted by Disil07
Also how to check if a mod compatible/not compatible with OFB?

You have to read the information about each individual mod.

Doesn't really matter which game you have as your highest - any time you download a mod you should read about it and make sure it's compatible, but also not in (known) direct conflict with something you already have. Most creators will say something about known conflicts and which EPs the mod will work with, is made for, and/or are required.