Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd May 2022 at 2:07 AM Last edited by zystem : 22nd May 2022 at 6:07 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Is it safe to transfer old files onto a new save?
I had gotten the "Low on disk space" message, and fixed it. By fixing it, the game has created new save data, and has me starting on a new save. Everything there is as if I was never there. (Basically, a new game...)
The good news is that I still have my previous save's files. Is it dangerous to transfer those files onto this new save? Everything, from Sims to Neighborhoods.

Edit: I changed the Folder's name to "The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection" by going into the folder's properties and changing the name there. It worked (so far).

22. male. he/him. autistic.
REST IN PEACE JOTARO KUJO. JUNE 2020 - JANUARY 2021.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd May 2022 at 2:27 AM
Just delete the new one and rename the other folder.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd May 2022 at 2:41 AM
Is it that safe? Sorry, just the idea of deleting all that scares me, lol.

Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd May 2022 at 3:06 AM
Yes. You saw what happens if the folder doesn't exist, it just creates a new one anyway. And since you're renaming the old folder, it will exist.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd May 2022 at 5:54 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd May 2022 at 6:07 AM.
If you haven't used the new folder yet, as in you haven't done anything in particular for that game, you should be able to delete that folder and make sure the name of the folder for your regular game is correct.

If you have the UC, the proper game path is the one with the little "tm" in it, so make sure you're keeping the proper one. There could be issues if you're trying (and possibly failing) to remove the "tm" via different methods. If you just remove it from the folder name, the game won't recognize the folder.

---

Just make sure (if you ever transfer files over, or are copying from a backup, or something similar) that you never let files or folders overwrite each other, because that can cause quite a lot of issues, especially in the Neighborhood folder.

Either delete (or move away) the old files and copy/paste (or move) in the new ones.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd May 2022 at 1:48 PM
Ok, thanks you guys. I'll try this out later.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd May 2022 at 5:56 PM
What are some ways I could remove the "(TM)" from the folder name? In a way that the game will recognize, if I'm making sense. I tried using Registry Edit and for some reason, Ultimate Collection wasn't in the EA file.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd May 2022 at 6:43 PM
Editing the name of the folder is editing the name of the folder, that's all you have to do. simmer22 is just saying to make sure that the folder you're deleting is really the one you want to delete and not the one that has your real neighborhood in it.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 22nd May 2022 at 7:37 PM
^ not with the (tm). If you remove that (improperly) from the folder, the game will see that as "oh, the folder for the game no longer exists, let me make you a new one". You have to go via the registry and all that to do it properly.

(I tried it a while back because of an issue with SimPE and file paths, and horribly failed, having to fix/reinstall my UC to get it back to working again, so I figured it was easiest to just leave the folder name alone. Found fixes for SimPE and a couple other programs that were having issues with the (tm) so it wasn't such a big deal).
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd May 2022 at 8:02 PM
The method of adding or removing the tm is editing the folder name. It's not like there's a secret second way to remove the tm that is "proper" or anything like that. The only thing that matters is the name of the folder.
Theorist
#11 Old 23rd May 2022 at 7:19 AM
kestrellyn, the OP is asking if there's a way to make the game load saves from a folder named The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, without the TM symbol. Renaming a folder in file explorer is trivial, yes, but having the game still read things from the new folder is tricky (editing registry, etc.) because without the necessary changes, it will create a new The Sims(tm) 2 folder.

I can suggest a workaround using hard links. You can then place the folder anywhere you want (including different drives, maybe?) and name it however you want. For example, you can keep your saves on your desktop in the folder called Sims 2. Use the /j and /h parameters. If you need any help with the command prompt, just ask.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd May 2022 at 3:01 PM
Why would you want to edit the registry and all that when you can just rename a folder? OP never once asked that question, they just wanted to know how to get the game to read their old folder, too which the answer is: rename the folder.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd May 2022 at 3:32 PM
They asked about removing the (tm) from the folder in a post above.

But yes - if you want to use an old folder, you just need to make sure it's got the correct name (The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection) - removing the "tm" (without doing the registry steps or through other methods) results in the game making a new folder.

You also need to make sure it's the only folder with that name (or you could end up with accidental overwriting), so if there are other TS2 folders in the EA Games folder, make sure to add something at the end of those before renaming the one you want to use.
Theorist
#14 Old 23rd May 2022 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
they just wanted to know how to get the game to read their old folder, too

That's not what I understood from this question:
Quote: Originally posted by zystem
What are some ways I could remove the "(TM)" from the folder name? In a way that the game will recognize, if I'm making sense.
I interpreted it as "what are the ways for the game to load folders that don't contain the (tm) symbol," hence why they were mentioning editing registry keys. In other words, how to change the game's save directory from "EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection" to "EA Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection." Coincidentally, that's how they also named their old saves folder, so I understand why you'd suggest a simple rename. Any other suggestion or further discussion is pointless until OP reiterates their question, because it is apparently coming off as ambiguous.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 23rd May 2022 at 6:43 PM
The new folder does not have the TM though, so there is no point editing the registry.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 23rd May 2022 at 11:33 PM
I assume that editing the registry was what caused this problem in the first place. I believe that's the fix traditionally recommended for the problem where the game doesn't think you have enough disk space, which they mentioned they recently fixed. So now all that needs to happen is a folder rename.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 24th May 2022 at 12:51 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th May 2022 at 1:06 AM.
^ I don't think the (tm) in itself usually causes any issues with disk space pretending it doesn't exist as long as you keep the folder names the way they are from freshly installed (no idea if registry editing gone wrong would do that, though - probably?).

If the computer is running somewhat low on actual disk space and is using a lot of V-RAM from the harddrive you're currently trying to save large files to or run heavier programs from, that could easily be a problem (files won't save until you close down something, usually the program you're trying to save the file in, which is a bummer). I think problems usually start showing up every now and then when you dip below 10 GB (on a HDD - SSDs might need a lot more free space to work efficiently).
There's also the OneDrive issue that can cause the game to think there's not enough disk space (because it shouldn't save to or backup to that folder by default, the setup is bad and the space set aside for it is probably too small, hence the "not enough space").
Mad Poster
#18 Old 24th May 2022 at 3:04 AM
Apparently the tm being there in the registry causes that issue on some computers, I think depending on locale, so the solution is to remove the tm in the registry, which then means you have to change the name of the folder. You can easily find people solving this problem in that way by googling. Usually in this case people have hundreds of GB free and actual disk space is not the problem.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 24th May 2022 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
^ I don't think the (tm) in itself usually causes any issues with disk space pretending it doesn't exist as long as you keep the folder names the way they are from freshly installed (no idea if registry editing gone wrong would do that, though - probably?).

I think OP must have done a web search and found this:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-The...ce/td-p/3191028
So they have already edited the TM out of their registry, as evidenced by the new folder not having the TM.
So kestrellyn's suggestion in post #2 to delete the new folder and rename the old one would be correct, and the easiest method.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 24th May 2022 at 10:43 PM
I'm going to clear everything up, since everyone seems to be confused:
I got the "Low on disk space" message when I tried to boot up my game. I found a way to fix this specific issue by looking it up, and being told to go into my Register Directory, where I was then told to remove the "TM" symbol from my folder/directory(?)
(Bare with me now, as I don't know tech lingo. The most I know how to do is move mods into mod folders, and enter cheat codes. I'm not versed in technology at ALL.)
Doing this created a separate "Sims 2 Ultimate Collection" folder under the EA folder, as shown in my picture. My game would load this brand new folder, which had fresh neighborhoods. None of mine were in there.
What I was asking, was if I could transfer my old neighborhoods and Sims and everything else into this new save. I was told instead, to just rename the file, but don't just rename it in a traditional sense. So I was asking if there's a different way to rename files. A way to rename files that the game would recognize. I remembered I could go into "properties" and rename files there, and doing that worked.
I didn't know if there was different software used to rename files. I think everyone's getting caught up on that part, and I'm sorry for causing confusion. I've fixed my issue.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 24th May 2022 at 10:58 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th May 2022 at 11:29 PM.
^ If you got the message when you booted up your game, I think it's possible the issue could've come from for instance the OneDrive backup function that's shipped with Windows nowadays. I can see how changing the folder name via the registry could potentially fix or go around that problem, although there is a possibility it could happen again if the function isn't turned off. You might want to check if OneDrive has been messing with either your game or your Documents folder (or both), just to be on the safe side (if you have Windows 10 or 11).

Renaming files and regular folders can be done by clicking twice (slow, not rapid double-clicking) on a file, or right-click/rename, or you can rename it in Properties (and probably a few other methods, too) - they all do the same thing.

The issue with with programs if you've gone through a full installation process is that they are usually linked to a spesific path, so if you change a folder name in that path (rename "EA Games" to "MyGames", for instance), the program no longer recognizes the path to the files. Best-case scenario, the game makes a new folder. Worst-case scenario, the program no longer works or starts up. If you want to make permanent changes to the folder path you either have to do so when installing, via the Registry, or via a couple other methods - but just renaming the folder wouldn't work.

---

Anyway...

Quote:
What I was asking, was if I could transfer my old neighborhoods and Sims and everything else into this new save.

First, check which of your folders is working, and make sure everything is actually working (Downloads folder/Savedsims/etc.) so you don't get troubles with those later. Make sure Bodyshop also works with the new folder, if you're planning to use it. Why test with the newly created folder? Because if bad things happen to it, you don't lose anything important.

Everything okay?

If the working folder isn't the one you're planning to keep, copy the name of the working folder, add something to the back of that folder (the number 1, maybe), and then replace the name for the folder you DO want to use. Now, test it, see if everything is working again, and if it is, enjoy your game.

As long as you know what you're doing, you can copy/paste the name of the folder. I've got 4 folders I'm currently juggling in the EA Games folder, renaming them whenever I want to switch games.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 25th May 2022 at 12:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Just delete the new one and rename the other folder.

Just do this^^ and it will work.