Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2022 at 6:05 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default windows defender is doing all kinds of weird things
I am trying to install sims 2 and all its expansions. I'm on win 10 pro 64bit with 8gb of ram
I read somewhere on other site, you had you had to switch compatibility to win xp sp2. i tryed without it and my install would stop at 23 % while on the first cd still. anyway with switching to to xp compatibility. I was able to install all 4 cds of the first game, and also patch it. I did the same with University. I was even to run the game to test to see if everything was running good. I installed more expansions. At Pets I decided to test again. One problem was once i was in the game it would tell me university wasn't install. That is odd I thought. It made no sense. why would it be gone. The files and folders are still there.
Anyway I continued installing the next few expansions. At FreeTime, windows security would not allow me to run autorun.exe. I tryed disable what ever I could, it would not allow me to do anything. I ended up login in administrator and installed it there. I ran the game and it loaded ok. but it didn't detect the other expansions. Most likely because I am not under my usual username.

Is is ok to copy all my whole C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\EA Games folder to my regular user folder C:\Users\..myname...\Documents\EA Games,? or would it make it worst? I feel I am ready to cry. I am tired. It's been a long day.

I feel I should try to install windows 7 on another partition. the game ran fine on there years ago. Not really impressed with Win10 so far. I'm still new to it.

I don't know If I should go back to my own user account and try to install Apartment life next. Maybe I'll wait till tomorrow.

I feel I need a cold one right now. before I get insane. Oh wait, I'm already there.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 19th Jun 2022 at 11:41 AM
Quote:
Is is ok to copy all my whole C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\EA Games folder to my regular user folder C:\Users\..myname...\Documents\EA Games,?
Sure, you can move those. Though, if you haven't yet run the game, there's no actual need to copy those, as you don't have any personal progress to transfer, only the default neighborhoods that you haven't played yet. The game always dumps the stock neighborhoods into your documents on the first run.

Also, for future reference, if you encounter compatibility issues when installing expansion pack 0, then do keep the compatibility settings consistent while installing all the EPs 0 through n. Don't assume it will magically fix itself and work under Win10 environment after some random EP - Windows is as dumb as it gets, and does not learn.

Quote:
I don't know If I should go back to my own user account and try to install Apartment life next.
Not that it would make a big difference, but I'd suggest you install it as admin. You should encounter less problems that way, as you have more user rights with that account. And after all, it doesn't (shouldn't) matter who installs a program on a PC, as all users should be able to run it.