Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 2:09 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default I Have No Words.... The Game Doesn't Think It's Properly Installed Now??
Title says it all. This happened just this morning. Last night I wanted to play, and I was like, ehh, I'll just open bodyshop. Okay, I open bodyshop. Check the clock, it's too late. So bodyshop is still loading when I shut down my computer. This morning I try to run the Sims 2. And I get this message:https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img...117138-Ohno.PNG
Uhh... Causation or correlation? Send help.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 4:03 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd Sep 2022 at 4:16 PM.
Well... Could be file corruption somewhere. Always a good thing to make sure you've closed down Sims or Bodyshop before you close down your computer. Preferably close down via the program, but if you need a quick-stop, use the Task Manager, don't just close down the computer, especially while the program is loading.

Closing down the computer is supposed to close down programs, but that depends which shutdown you use (there's a few variations of the shutdown processeses for Windows, - the main one that puts the computer in a deep hibernation for daily use - this one keeps what you've got going on the desktop - and the full shutdown which is supposed to close down everything, mostly used for restarting when updating and similar). Shutdown can be messy and potentially a bit volatile to some programs. I've had a couple programs that went a bit nutters for a while after closing down without properly quitting them (not talking crashing, that's a different can of worms).

You can try to delete the cache files and try again, if you haven't already done so.

Otherwise you might have to replace the EXE files, or whatever else broke (could be files in the install files, check if any dates are changed to yesterday/today's date - or registry files, not sure with those). Alternatively repairing via Origin if you have the UC (do a backup first).
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Well... Could be file corruption somewhere. Always a good thing to make sure you've closed down Sims or Bodyshop before you close down your computer. Preferably close down via the program, but if you need a quick-stop, use the Task Manager, don't just close down the computer, especially while the program is loading.

Closing down the computer is supposed to close down programs, but that depends which shutdown you use (there's a few variations of the shutdown processeses for Windows, - the main one that puts the computer in a deep hibernation for daily use - this one keeps what you've got going on the desktop - and the full shutdown which is supposed to close down everything, mostly used for restarting when updating and similar). Shutdown can be messy and potentially a bit volatile to some programs. I've had a couple programs that went a bit nutters for a while after closing down without properly quitting them (not talking crashing, that's a different can of worms).

You can try to delete the cache files and try again, if you haven't already done so.

Otherwise you might have to replace the EXE files, or whatever else broke (could be files in the install files, check if any dates are changed to yesterday/today's date - or registry files, not sure with those). Alternatively repairing via Origin if you have the UC (do a backup first).

Yeah, so you know how I replaced bodyshop's exe? It eventually worked, so I did it with the main game. It seemed okay, until I went into create-a-sim. Oh my gosh. It is horrific. I think maybe I should use my copies of the program files. You see, I have a project going on where I am making a special Sims 2 gift for a friend. I got a flash drive and installed The Sims 2 on it. So, that's going to them. Good thing I'm doing that, because the freshly installed files there can help my own game. If I copy clean files, maybe it will work if I replace everything?? In the meantime, allow me to share the horrors.
Screenshots
Space Pony
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 8:27 PM

I want to add that I usually do shut down the game with task manager. :/
Mad Poster
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 8:59 PM
Usually, you should shut your game down via "quit without saving" or "quit and save", or save first then quit with or without saving, (whichever option floats your boat). For Bodyshop, use the X button or the exit button.

Task manager is for "emergencies", when you for whatever reason can't quit the game/Bodyshop via the exit options, or when it's taking too long to load and there's no other way to quit it. It's not meant as the default option.

---

Looks like some of the install files might have gotten borked. Possibly the Objects.package file(s), but could be other things, too. Check the "last changed" dates, and if you find anything that's been very recently changed, try swapping it out with the copy.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 9:20 PM
Usually, you should shut your game down via "quit without saving" or "quit and save", or save first then quit with or without saving, (whichever option floats your boat). For Bodyshop, use the X button or the exit button.

Task manager is for "emergencies", when you for whatever reason can't quit the game/Bodyshop via the exit options, or when it's taking too long to load and there's no other way to quit it. It's not meant as the default option.

---

Looks like some of the install files might have gotten borked. Possibly the Objects.package file(s), but could be other things, too. Check the "last changed" dates, and if you find anything that's been very recently changed, try swapping it out with the copy.

Sorry, I should have clarified, that when I can't quit the game without the normal options, I use task manager. I otherwise usually shut it down the normal way -- except bodyshop, which never seems to want to, so I have to close it with task manager. I think this is the only time (hopefully) that I shut down the computer and the game at the same time. I'm currently swapping files, and I see that several files may be missing when comparing file numbers (e.i. Windows says 115 files, 12 folders for something but mine copy says 111 files, 12 folders). Oh boy.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 9:39 PM
This usually happens because your antivirus decides that your game files are viruses and removes or quarantines them. I would just reinstall, if you don't know what specific files it removed. Then whitelist all the game directories with the antivirus. I don't think how you shut down Bodyshop should have anything to do with it.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 9:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
This usually happens because your antivirus decides that your game files are viruses and removes or quarantines them. I would just reinstall, if you don't know what specific files it removed. Then whitelist all the game directories with the antivirus. I don't think how you shut down Bodyshop should have anything to do with it.

My antivirus has never complained about the game before... But I'll check to see if anything got quarantined.
Edit: Nope, nothing there. So no files got eaten by security. I forgot to mention I already made an exception.