Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#28701 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 2:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
What I do in cases like that is go into BodyShop and start "white-ing out" various parts of the alpha files, refreshing, and seeing what changes on the BodyShop model. Then undoing my change and "white-ing out" a different area on the alpha file(s) and repeating. Eventually I usually get some idea of where the clothing pieces are mapped in the files.

I do this a lot, too. if you use a texturing program that deals with layers, you can combine it with a color map (blue for part X, green for part Y, etc.) and have this as an overlay on the texture (not the alpha), so you more easily see what goes where (great tool for hairs or multi-part clothes).

You can also extract the UVmap(s), which is sometimes even more helpful, because you can more clearly see what goes where and where the lines go (plus, they're great for texturing).

I've got a quick tutorial on how to extract UVs with Blender here, in case it comes in handy for anyone:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/moo...icks-t2336.html
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#28702 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 4:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Yes, it was a glitch. It can happen, just like when other Npcs fail to execute their programmed behaviour (like when the Pizza delivery guy glitches and just leaves the pizza on the floor, not colle ting the payment from your Sim, or when the scheduled nanny just doesn't leave when your Sim's come home from work)
But it's not a bad one, so don't worry about it. It's not a sign of corruption or anything, just their behavior didn't fire.
Sims 2 is a very complex game and sometimes things just don't work like they should.

Thank you

My Simblr
He/They
#28703 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 9:11 PM
What is the easiest way to sync up premade/CAS young adults to a mod that changes the semester length?
Top Secret Researcher
#28704 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 9:49 PM
So I just downloaded these pride flag wall hangings https://2fingerswhiskey.livejournal.com/49450.html and there is a package file that says collectionfile_sofaset and I have no idea what i'm supposed to do with it because it says collection and the set has nothing to do with sofas. Do I leave it with the rest of them? Put it in collections? Take it out because what does sofas have to do with pride flag wall hangings?

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#28705 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 11:21 PM
Thanks HobbesED and simmer22! I've obviously still got a lot to learn about Body Shop modding. It sounds like there must be cases where it would be easier to make the mesh t=yourself than work out how someone else made it. In this case it was a bit easier for me as sushigal007 had done a teen conversion of it. sushigal also replaced the short white socks with full length black ones. By looking at the differences between her bitmaps and Spoiled Kitten's originals I was able to work out where the stockings had to go. I'm sure the material I used for the top of the knee-length socks was meant to go somewhere else, but I think the way I've done that bit looks OK. The way I've done the shoes on the other hand relies too much on the bump map, and I'd like to revisit them some time. But I hope what I've done will do for now. Thanks again!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Alchemist
#28706 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 11:40 PM
​Hmm, raise20puppiesorkittens, I would think that first you'd have to decide how much time you want to give them, or how far along you want them to be. Like​​, do you want everyone to start over at zero, Freshman year, or keep them where they are, or be older than other groups, etc. If you're making Uni shorter, I'd recommend starting everyone over at zero/Freshman year, even if that means you have to play some sims for extra time to keep their ages in sync. So, if I were doing this, I'd reset everyone to Freshman year, but I'd put all the upperclassmen into a household and play them for an extra year first, by themselves. Then, once they are done with a year, or halfway through Uni, etc., I'd move them back wherever they're supposed to be, and play them alongside the rest of the sims. This way, they are still older and further along in Uni than their peers, but they received the same playtime.

In my experience, sims starting later have a significant disadvantage that, on one hand makes for challenging gameplay, but on the other seems kind of unfair and makes their remaining Uni time more about skilling and grades, especially if you have any rules/milestones for Uni set in place. Premade upperclassmen lack the skills to succeed in their current semester, but also, iirc, they lack the skills for someone with their major in their year. So to unlock skill gates for class in their later semesters, they need more skills than they would at that point, if you'd played them from Freshman year, and than those skills take longer to get (because it takes more time to get 3-4 points, than just going from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4, you know?). They also don't know how to study, and because they're upperclassmen, they can't just get anyone to teach them. Learning to study in Uni is a little weird, but, from observation, it seems that upperclassmen need to learn from someone their year or above, while Freshman seem to be able to learn from any other student or professor. When you throw in personal gameplay rules like want-based play, or graduation requirements--it can be a hectic experience, with little time for slacking off. Maybe that's good for you or bad, idk, but it's something to consider.

To give you an example, I'm playing SSU right now when I'm not building, and playing all the premades. I haven't changed the length of Uni, but I do play with mods to make Uni, and skilling in general, harder. Plus, especially in Uni, I try to play to wants--that means no one does anything for class unless they have a related want. Now, I split all the premades into two groups, and plan to play them rotational style, to get some variety in ages. I put all the SSU upperclassmen are in group 1, but didn't change their year. So Ashley Pitts and Brittany Upsnott started in the first semester of Sophomore year and Jane Stacks started in the first semester of Junior year, along with some Freshman. Ashley and Brittany are doing okay--Ashley more so than Brittany, ironically. Ashley was able to do well, rolling a few class related wants (even several to do term papers!) and to skill. As he meets more people and forms more romantic relationships, I doubt those wants will keep up, but you never know. He may at least roll a fear of Academic Probation, so I can at least make sure he does the bare minimum. Brittany, while I haven't finished her year yet, is doing so-so. She's definitely more concerned about making friends and throwing parties and so I've seen less generic Gain A Skill wants. It hasn't been as easy to skill her up to pass class. But, even so, I doubt she'll fail, at least this time around. She's got enough good performance to get by. Jane, though, as the Family sim, has been the most nerve-racking to play.

She started off well in the first semester, but in her second semester, I was having trouble keeping her grades up. As a Junior she needed 3 and 4 points in some areas and of course she didn't learn to study. She rarely rolled class-related wants, and, when she finally did, I had to do a lot of micromanaging to make sure she could unlock her grade bar with enough time to actually fill the grade bar. Basically, it took the entire semester to just unlock the full bar, and then it was still empty. She still needed to do assignments and write a paper, etc., etc. Going to class didn't really count when the skill bar wasn't unlocked (because I have mods ). I wouldn't say her social life is suffering, because that's what I focus on when she doesn't have class wants, but I will say that I seriously doubt she can graduate without being put on probation, at least once. And that's where I feel the unfairness comes in a bit, because if I'd played her from Freshman year, I wouldn't have had such a hard time and she'd be more likely to meet my SSU graduation requirements (5 points in all skills and two life skills). I'm considering playing the three of them for an extra year, because of this. It's hard to say they'd be 100% better off, or would absolutely have better grades, because I do still play to wants and they very well might not roll any wants for class. But at least they would have the same opportunity to do well, you know? The three just don't have the same time as everyone else, and depending on what you want sims to get out of Uni, that might be a problem.

Otherwise, as for like, the practical logistics, just use your mod item/method of choice--College Adjuster, Sim Manipulator, Boolprop, etc--and reset sims to the year they're supposed to be in and reset everyone's clock to zero, so that all households start synced. I actually would not recommend the college clock for this--idk if it's a glitch or a personal mod conflict, but I just had a pretty bad bug when I tried to reset the Tri Var girls' semesters. Then had just experienced a really bad fire, right before finals. My burglar mod allows the burglar to set fires and she came in, set fire to the living room and havoc ensured. Luckily I didn't lose anyone, but I did lose the entire living room. I wanted to just let them redo the semester because their needs were terrible and of course they'd have to clean up, not to mention some skilling items were in the living room--they'd need to get some money to replace them or go use University resources. Now, I don't usually use the college clock, but this time I did and instead of resetting the timer to 72 hours, like I expected, it aged them to adult. Again, I could have a conflict, or it could have been a glitch because Heather was in her Freshman year and resetting her to the beginning aged her up instead of restarting her Freshman year. I don't really know what happened; all I know is that I could not fix it and I had to exit without saving. (Blessing in disguise, I guess, because no fire and Tiffany wasn't pregnant anymore, so less stress for them, ). So yeah, definitely can't recommend that, even if the college clock does have some cool features. I'd go with the college adjuster or sim manipulator and you can change sims' year and hours left with no issues. And if you start everyone off as a Freshman, they should all pick up your semester changes as they complete finals. Again, for the upperclassmen, you'll have to decide whether you want them to start over as Freshman or be in the middle, etc. If you do end up putting them back in Freshman year, remember you can use the Memory Manipulator to remove "incorrect" memories.

(wickedjr89, yeah, I'd just delete it or ask 2FingersWhiskey about it.)

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Top Secret Researcher
#28707 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 6:12 AM
I was on a community lot and noticed the exterminator. I just checked and the exterminator is even listed on the wiki https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Carmen..._(Pleasantview). Is that normal?
Screenshots

My Simblr
He/They
Alchemist
#28708 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 7:02 AM
Musing...how hard would it be to take deco foods and make them able to be picked up and eaten? Thinking firstly of cakes, or cake slices...
I'm hopeless at meshing, but can do a little messing in SimPE with good instructions.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Mad Poster
#28709 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 11:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
Musing...how hard would it be to take deco foods and make them able to be picked up and eaten? Thinking firstly of cakes, or cake slices...
I'm hopeless at meshing, but can do a little messing in SimPE with good instructions.

You'd have to make them into edible food, so I suggest finding a tutorial on that and see if it's doable for you.

You'll want to find foods that are easy to separate from plates, and if you find some that already have eating stages, that makes things much easier.

There could be some slight remeshing involved for morphs/eating stages, depending on how much you want to do with it and what kind of food it is. I think some of the food have mesh stages instead, where you can swap out the meshes and don't need to do much meshing.
Mad Poster
#28710 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 11:47 AM

I do believe that I saw and downloaded just those items the other day-they were Sunni's deco meats, and someone had changed them into edible meat.

Ah, here it is:

Sunni's Skyrim Meats Made Edible

Which is based on this:
Medieval Munchies

You might ask Fractured Moonlight if they could give you some tips on how to do this.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Field Researcher
#28711 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 11:53 AM

Its actually not that difficult, I have done some for my own use, using meshes from Exnem and the same Eat interaction I gave to the orchard fruits. I cloned the fruit bowl. You have to set the 3D object type on Rawdata to 1 for it to be animatable.

My little pastries can be bought in an owned business or on an unowned community lot, thanks to you, I believe, for your Grab n Go idea? They can then be used to stock the fridge or eaten directly.
Mad Poster
#28712 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 11:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aysarth
Its actually not that difficult, I have done some for my own use, using meshes from Exnem and the same Eat interaction I gave to the orchard fruits. I cloned the fruit bowl. You have to set the 3D object type on Rawdata to 1 for it to be animatable.

My little pastries can be bought in an owned business or on an unowned community lot, thanks to you, I believe, for your Grab n Go idea? They can then be used to stock the fridge or eaten directly.

I do think that you were one of the first to make stockable food, and that's been a boon to all pixels! Thank you so much for that, in case I haven't thanked you before!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28713 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 12:14 PM

I've done it before, I made a fridge stockable Vegemite. I used DeeDee's tutorial. https://deedee-sims.dreamwidth.org/40435.html

For picking up and eating, you could ask Fire or Frac since you can do that with Sun&moon fruits.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#28714 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 2:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
I was on a community lot and noticed the exterminator. I just checked and the exterminator is even listed on the wiki https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Carmen..._(Pleasantview). Is that normal?

NPCs with proper names are just townies with specific roles to play, and one of the things townies do is show up on community lots.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#28715 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
NPCs with proper names are just townies with specific roles to play, and one of the things townies do is show up on community lots.

Thank you . I'd never noticed it before now.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#28716 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 4:50 PM
This is something of an emergency question. This little chap (Peter Weir) has missed the school 'bus. With seven other kids in the queue in front of him, he decided he couldn't get on (routing fail), and he went and recycled yesterday's paper instead. At three minutes to nine it drove off without him. He is now the only Sim on the lot.

I don't have a social worker mod, because I've never felt the need for one. Two courses of action now occur to me:
1) Save and Quit the game. Download a Social Worker mod, and make sure it's installed before restarting the game.
2) Use a teleporter to summon a teen or an adult that I trust to the lot, make them controllable, and keep them there with the boy until the resident teen returns from school at one o'clock.
I am minded to go with 2) as it seems safer, and more in line with my playstyle (Sims lookout for each other).

Peter lives with seven other boys, one of whom is a teen. The teen cooks for all the younger boys. They are all destined to become townies, but they are looking after a big house for a few days first. (The idea is that the house will depreciate in value so that the women's commune will be able to buy it.
Screenshots

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Top Secret Researcher
#28717 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 4:54 PM
I use the no social worker mod here http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...2_Childcare.htm but it says "Stops social worker taking neglected kids. Adoption is not affected by this patch. Children already born may still be taken away if they are hungry or lonely. And to stop the social worker coming for low grades and children left alone, you will need to move the family into a new lot (or out of and back in the old one)" so i'm not sure it'd work. He should be able to walk to school (unless that came in an ep you don't have?).

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#28718 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
This is something of an emergency question. This little chap (Peter Weir) has missed the school 'bus. With seven other kids in the queue in front of him, he decided he couldn't get on (routing fail), and he went and recycled yesterday's paper instead. At three minutes to nine it drove off without him. He is now the only Sim on the lot.

I don't have a social worker mod, because I've never felt the need for one. Two courses of action now occur to me:
1) Save and Quit the game. Download a Social Worker mod, and make sure it's installed before restarting the game.
2) Use a teleporter to summon a teen or an adult that I trust to the lot, make them controllable, and keep them there with the boy until the resident teen returns from school at one o'clock.
I am minded to go with 2) as it seems safer, and more in line with my playstyle (Sims lookout for each other).

Peter lives with seven other boys, one of whom is a teen. The teen cooks for all the younger boys. They are all destined to become townies, but they are looking after a big house for a few days first. (The idea is that the house will depreciate in value so that the women's commune will be able to buy it.

Kids can call the nanny.
Alchemist
#28719 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 7:07 PM
Good call kestrellyn, forgot about that one! Was going to say that if you did summon a neighbor over, they should also be able to drive the kid to school, if a car is available. But yeah, that story brings back memories of playing the Newsons--they taught me that teens need to get on the bus last.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Top Secret Researcher
#28720 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 7:15 PM
I didn't know kids could call the nanny.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#28721 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 7:16 PM
Well, that was a bit of a disaster. My idea didn't quite work. I summoned downtown teen Joseph Lambert, and immediately made him controllable. Joe was one of the Welcome Wagon guests the day before, and he had then (uninvited) stayed the night. So Peter knew him, but not very well (0,0). Joe went straight to Peter who was still in the front garden. He told Peter a couple of jokes to break the ice, and then the two boys, teen and child, sat down near the mailbox to hang out together. About halfway through the morning Miriam Hunter from Bluewater joined them. They were so near the mailbox, that the postman nearly had to climb over them to reach it. Everything seemed to be OK until I realised around half past twelve that Peter was no longer selectable. I realised that, despite there being both a teen and an adult actively talking to the child, the social worker had arrived. It was almost an hour before she actually took him away, by which time the resident teen, Vivian Marshall, had returned from school. Peter stood in the middle of the road looking dejected, but no one could interact with him. He disappeared and reappeared in blue flashes several times, and the last time he disappeared, she drove off. I quit without saving.

It transpired that the last time I had saved was just after 6 a.m. when they were just getting up. So Peter was back safe and sound. I've now enrolled the teen in Simlogical Flexi School, so he won't get on the school 'bus. And, if anyone else fails to get on, they won't be left home alone.

[EDIT] Clearly Peter should have called the nanny! Thanks kestrellynn. I'll do that if it happens again. BTW, is there a limit to how many can get on the school 'bus. It seems to have plenty of seats. But Peter, who was last in the queue, seemed to be telling me his way was blocked.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Theorist
#28722 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 7:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria

I'd use the Visitor controller to ban the social worker on arrival.
I use Pescado's sshack but it doesn't prevent kids from being taken because of bad grades. I had to resort to this workaround lately and it worked.
Mad Poster
#28723 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 7:34 PM
I wouldn't mind the social worker taking away a child who was being neglected or abused. But Peter was clearly neither. There was simply a glitch or mix-up about him getting on the 'bus. In the circumstances I think the school or the 'bus company should have made a special arrangement. They should have sent a taxi for him.

Thanks Everyone!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Alchemist
#28724 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 8:49 PM
Well, good that you worked it out, AndrewGloria. @Essa if you don't want the social worker to come at all, maybe try switching to BoilingOil's Kids & Pets Unattended.

Theorist
#28725 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 9:37 PM
@Phantomknight I'll think about it. In my hood, children are usually taken by the social services because of their grades. My fault even if my hood has a custom school. :p
Page 1149 of 1338