Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Buyable Fishing Spawners *UPDATED*

by Snaitf Posted 24th Jul 2009 at 1:09 AM - Updated 26th Jul 2009 at 7:16 PM by Snaitf

95 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 89 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Test Subject
#26 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 9:38 AM
I haven't played a true fishing Sim yet, but this sounds inpiring. Thanks.
Test Subject
#27 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 11:31 AM
You are brilliant. A pond at home doesn't look the same without the jumping fish.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 12:18 PM
My sims like fishing very much, so let me tell tou what they know ('bout fishing home) :

- when you create a pound in your lot, it will allways be filled only w/ the 5 common spicies at the minimum quatity, fishies don't jump out of the water.
- Then, if your sims gets, anywhere (in that pound or else), 10 (ten) fishies of ONE spicie, he can fill his home-pound w/ them (all 10). The original spicies will be wipped, and you have in that pound only the spicie you've just put in, at minumum quatity.
- Your sim can repeat this as much as he doesn't mix salted and sweet spicies ... and the more you fill a pound the more fishies jump ! And you can make your own combinations.

This is just to tell, this is not critisize, but like allmost ALL mods, this one gives immediate access to a normal long lasting ingame feature.

Wish you much fun fishing !
Test Subject
#29 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 2:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CallMeIrd
I've always been able to fish in my ponds at home. Do I have some hack I didn't know about, or does this just let you catch you fish you couldn't before?

this basically makes a home pond like a premade pond with differant sets of fish. so you dont have to stock your pond to get good fish closer to home
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#30 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 2:25 PM
Oh this was sooo needed! I wish I had this when I created my parks. Thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 2:41 PM
Amazing! Just What I Needed!
Field Researcher
#32 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 3:54 PM
You're awesome. Now I don't have to buy tons of fish to stock my ponds. Thanks XD
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#33 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:16 PM
This looks extremely useful, thank you.

Will this take into account any tuning mods we have for the spawners? Or would it perhaps clash with them? I've tuned the spawners for my game (as in, changed the probability for some fish to be caught, removed some of the box contents etc) and I wouldn't want to bork it.

Also, do you know which of the numbered spawners in the XML are used by which of your spawners? I can't find any reference to names lke "Ocean Rare 2" in the XML itself, so this must be defined elsewhere.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
Original Poster
#34 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
This looks extremely useful, thank you.

Will this take into account any tuning mods we have for the spawners? Or would it perhaps clash with them? I've tuned the spawners for my game (as in, changed the probability for some fish to be caught, removed some of the box contents etc) and I wouldn't want to bork it.

Also, do you know which of the numbered spawners in the XML are used by which of your spawners? I can't find any reference to names lke "Ocean Rare 2" in the XML itself, so this must be defined elsewhere.

No, this wouldn't conflict with any tuning mods. In fact, they should play along so nicely, that your tuning mods will work with my spawners.

As for which spawners are which in the XML, I'm afraid I don't really know, sorry.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#35 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Snaitf
As for which spawners are which in the XML, I'm afraid I don't really know, sorry.

No problem -- if they play along, then I'll be able to see that in-game the same way I can now (i.e. just compare the list with what the spawners actually spawn). Thanks for the info.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
#36 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tchoa91
Your sim can repeat this as much as he doesn't mix salted and sweet spicies ... and the more you fill a pound the more fishies jump ! And you can make your own combinations.

No matter how many fish I stock the pond with on my home lot, I've never gotten a spot to have fish jumping (ie. when you click that spot and choose "inspect water", the pop-up msg reads something like "this is a great spot to fish. Fish here are very active", instead of "this is a decent spot to fish"). Did you manage to make a spot "a great spot to fish" by repeating stocking the pond with many many fish?

And, I believe you CAN mix salt water and fresh water fish. I've done a couple of times. Perhaps that's the reason why I couldn't get any spot in my pond to have fish jumping?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#37 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 7:26 PM
dlznyc (and also tchoa91), stocking a pond and placing a spawner are two completely different things.

If you want the same behaviour as in the pre-made comm lots and beaches (i.e. "jumping fish" spots that use the "official" spawners), then you need this download. If what you want is just a stocked pond, then all you need to do is .. stock it =). But jumping fish will not appear just because a pond is stocked.

Field Researcher
#38 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 8:44 PM
This is exactly what I've been waiting for! Thanks so much! I was dissapointed that I couldn't have fish jumping & a "great spot to fish" in my home ponds. And no, it didn't matter how many of what kind of fish I stocked it with, "jumping fish" would never happen. Now it can!

Not having a sig IS my sig. Oh wait, this is a sig, isn't it? Nevermind...
Test Subject
#39 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 9:09 PM Last edited by battousan : 24th Jul 2009 at 9:10 PM. Reason: typo
Thanks !!
though I've already collected all the fishing spawners on my family's inventory by switching community lots to residential and picking them up with 'moveobjects on'.. XD

anyways, looking forward to your insects spawners !!
Test Subject
#40 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
dlznyc (and also tchoa91), stocking a pond and placing a spawner are two completely different things.

If you want the same behaviour as in the pre-made comm lots and beaches (i.e. "jumping fish" spots that use the "official" spawners), then you need this download. If what you want is just a stocked pond, then all you need to do is .. stock it =). But jumping fish will not appear just because a pond is stocked.

That's my understanding too. I thought tchoa91 found a way to make a spot with fish jumping by using the stock pond option. Thanks for clarifying it!
Field Researcher
#41 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 10:44 PM
Snaitf, if you manage to do this with the insects, gems & seed spawners then our Sims wouldn't always have to leave their home lot to work on their collections!

Lab Assistant
#42 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 11:19 PM
Nice job!
Field Researcher
#43 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
You could always fish at a home pond. By default, there's a small assortment of common freshwater fish that can be caught in any pond, and a small assortment of saltwater fish that can be caught in any ocean location.

What the spawners are is special fish nodes, where fish jump, like you see in certain ponds on community lots and in the ocean. You have a greater chance to catch fish at these nodes, and the specific node you place determines the type/level of fish.

So this will make it possible to have decorative jumping fish at home, to catch specific types of fish that you normally can't catch at home, or to make community lots which count as fishing sites. If you place just one fish node, the game recognizes the community lot as a fishing hole, unless the fish nodes are outnumbered by objects that force the lot into another category like park, beach, gym or library.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was having a bit of trouble figuring out what practical purpose these serve. It makes perfect sense now.

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 6:02 PM
I was hoping someone would discover how to place the seeds, fish, insects, and collectibles in the game. This is GREAT news!

Now, I have a question: Can you find and enable the "great view/vista" buff? I'm guessing it is an "add into game" type thing, as well -- but it is more easily deleted, it seems.

I like to make new houses on the choice lots, and then save the houses. By saving them in the library, I lose the buff. I would love to be able to put the buff back into the game on those choice lots. And I'd also like to add a buff or two in Riverview, where some of the rural landscape is, to my eye, just at wonderful.

For every King, there is a Queen ...

http://www.modthesims2.com/member.php?u=25203
Theorist
#45 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 10:46 PM
Oh, Amjoie, it would be so sweet if someone could find that buff!

Snaitf, I have been working on the customization (well, as much as is possible) of a town map and I tend to reach points in that work where I start procrastinating, and one of those points on the lots I'm building is the fact that at some point I was going to have to stop and create a Sim and manually do a whole bunch of this kind of piddly work. Thanks to you, now I won't have to! I'll just go plop a few fish spots in my new park and be done with it. YAY!!
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 12:58 AM
Thank you! My home pond was so boring. Now it'll be great!
Test Subject
#47 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:38 PM
Snaitf, you are wonderful for doing this, but am I the only person this doesn't work for? D:

Unless I'm missing something really obvious I assume the extracted .package file goes in mods/packages folder with everything else, right? Someone please tell me if I'm wrong and I'll be on my merry (foolish) way ^_^;

But if that is where the file goes, does anyone have any suggestions as to why this isn't working for me (same problem with Snaitf's other amazing spawners, too)?
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
Original Poster
#48 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Freeze3006
Snaitf, you are wonderful for doing this, but am I the only person this doesn't work for? D:

Unless I'm missing something really obvious I assume the extracted .package file goes in mods/packages folder with everything else, right? Someone please tell me if I'm wrong and I'll be on my merry (foolish) way ^_^;

But if that is where the file goes, does anyone have any suggestions as to why this isn't working for me (same problem with Snaitf's other amazing spawners, too)?

What about them is not working? Are they not available to you at all? Can you see them, but not place them? I need specifics...

They should work, I and Srikandi have tested these intesively, so I don't know why they wouldn't work for you.
Test Subject
#49 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Snaitf
What about them is not working? Are they not available to you at all? Can you see them, but not place them? I need specifics...

They should work, I and Srikandi have tested these intesively, so I don't know why they wouldn't work for you.

Unfortunately they're not available to me at all - nothing appears in Rocks category of build mode ('cept the default rocks, obviously!).

I can't imagine what the problem is, the file is definitely in the right place. Game is patched to the most recent version etc. D:
Field Researcher
#50 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 12:08 AM
@ Freeze3006 - Try deleting the 4 cache files located in DOCUMENTS/ELECTRONIC ARTS/THE SIMS 3, and if you have a World Caches folder in that same location, delete the files in that folder too. You will only have a World Caches folder if you have any saved games in the 2nd neighborhood called Riverview.

After deleting the cache files start up your game & try to find the mod again. I hope this helps.

Page 2 of 4