Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2021 at 8:40 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Black hole environment score for a room
Occasionally I encounter the following glitch in my houses. A room is limited to reaching at most one half of the environment score with the maximum number of objects and light inside it, as if it was open to another space of negative energy. To fix this, I demolish a wall segment, rebuild and recheck, then demolish another wall segment.

I'm sure everything about the game has been discovered and observed by now.

What is the cause of this?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Dec 2021 at 10:00 PM
Some tips here: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Environment
Expensive items tend to work, watch the environment score when you buy stuff, and make sure there's no dirty or messy stuff in the room. Small rooms, no windows or lights, and cheap stuff is apparently bad.

Personally I don't care too much about this score as long as it's in the middle-ish and above area. It rarely affects the sim, and doesn't seem to do a lot. It does count a bit when you invite over the principal, and you don't want it to go entirely red - but it won't unless you go out of your way to ruin the environment and don't let them clean up.
Inventor
#3 Old 28th Dec 2021 at 10:19 PM
I recall reading a convo on here about that same glitch/oddity ( knocking down and then replacing a wall segment or twelve changing the score). I don't believe a consensus as to cause was found.

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th Dec 2021 at 10:45 PM
Very low-cost CC walls can give a room a terrible environment score. Those 0 walls can be useful but there is a payback for using them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#5 Old 29th Dec 2021 at 6:10 AM
I thought the op was referring to the glitch/oddity that I've read about that makes it so that knocking down walls ( the $70 standard EA wall section) and then replacing them can cause noticeable differences in the room score. Nothing at all to do with wall coverings, furnishings etc. Hopefully op will clarify

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Dec 2021 at 8:56 AM
I thought that walls could get bugged to cause bad environment and knocking them down was the only way to fix them.
Theorist
#7 Old 29th Dec 2021 at 10:05 AM Last edited by topp : 29th Dec 2021 at 10:10 AM. Reason: rewrite
There are tiles and wallpapers in the game that have a high "crap" score. Whenever you place these down, the environment meter receives a hit. The default foundation flooring and bare walls (including the foundation bricks) carry a high crap score (or just contribute to tanking the environment score because they're bare). However, there is a known tile that causes a drop in the environment, and it's the cheapest hardwood flooring in the catalog. Here's a fix for that one.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th Dec 2021 at 11:04 AM
I've seen this in game, where a single room has a really bad environment score. Removing objects/ textures and replacing walls always narrows it down to a single wall segment in the room. I've not noticed it for a while, not sure if it's a game bug or something else. I first noticed this many years ago, before the game was complete.
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Dec 2021 at 12:42 AM
It is not a particular material in the room that does this. I demolish a wall and repaint it with, as far as I can tell, the same covering taken with the eyedropper. Filling the room with the most luxurious hardwood wouldn't bring up the environment higher than approximately one half.

I suspect the glitch might be related to diagonal walls, because I've seen it most recently with them. But I recall also encountering it in a regular boxy house some time ago.
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Jan 2022 at 4:00 PM
Something changed in the state of most lots after I installed version 1.13.0.161 over 1.13.0.135. This update resolved my blue screens of death. But about 1 room on every lot, including livable and unmodified Downtown lots, has bad environment. It looks like this

Forum Resident
#12 Old 17th Jan 2022 at 4:34 PM
I think the environment scores in the images look fine; that's how mine look usually. As long as it doesn't make my sims constantly complain, I'm fine with it. When I think "bad" environment score, I think a bar 25% or less, not 55% or 75% and more, I'd call it an average environment score.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Theorist
#13 Old 18th Jan 2022 at 12:03 PM
To be fair, those rooms don't give me the "holy shit what a nice room" vibe anyway. If I had a visible Environment motive, it would pretty much look like that.