Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2021 at 8:45 AM
Default Default replacing shoe sounds on Maxis clothing?
Someone asked if my recent default replacement textures also changed the shoe sounds, since most of the original textures have sandals and the new ones all have sneakers, and I realized that they don't. How would I go about doing that? I've looked up how to change shoe sounds, and I've found the property sets for the outfits in question, but could I make a shareable default replacement file for something like that?

pronouns: they/them
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Sep 2021 at 6:02 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Sep 2021 at 6:19 PM.
The "proper" way is to make a default replacement the other way, with PropertySet files.
Tutorial: https://mooglesims.livejournal.com/26934.html

(Files with just the GMDC and/or TXTRs overlap the originals and can sometimes create issues, although texture-replacing works fine if the outfit you're replacing can use the same mesh. The ones in Moogle's tutorial take the place of the outfits via the PropertySet without actually replacing the mesh/textures, and works much better for mesh replacing and hairs)

If the files are just default textures without a mesh, I think it can also work if you extract the PropertySet files for the originals and add those to the files. Then you shouldn't need to extract everything else or make recolor files or anything like that. It's not the "proper" way to do it, but it should work.

The PropertySet should also allow you to change things like the category and gender (kids/toddlers), but let people know you've added it to the files, because a lot of people use recategorizers for clothes these days, and only one can be active at a time (the last one loaded for each outfit, the rest will be ignored by the game).
Forum Resident
#3 Old 7th Sep 2021 at 9:20 PM
In hat-play-sims' "simple SimPE tricks" they talk a bit about shoe sounds:
Quote: Originally posted by hat_plays_sims
SHOE

There are different shoe sound effects in the game, and it's pretty easy to change which ones go with a particular outfit. DO NOT TRY TO COMBINE THESE. I don't know what will happen.

None: 0x00000000 (meant for tops, but also useful for mermaids, nagas, ghosts, or ninjas)
Barefoot: 0x00000001
Heavy Boot: 0x00000002
Heels: 0x00000003
Normal Shoe: 0x00000004
Sandal: 0x00000005
Footie Pajamas: 0x00000006 (not used on adult clothing by default)
Armored: 0x00000007 (requires OFB; used for knight armor. Fun with robots?)