Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 8:38 AM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 12th Sep 2021 at 1:41 PM.
Default Fireplace Displaying Problems
This is my first attempt at creating a Fireplace and although I use "Advance Mode" in SimPE (due to some objects having high Polygon counts), I was unable to find Fireplaces in any of the listings.
However I have used one of the Fireplace Templates by Numenor and downloaded Scriptorium and by all accounts this is the easiest way to do it.

I think I have followed Numenor's Guide to the letter but for whatever reason the Fireplace Name and Description do not show up in Build Mode correctly plus the Fireplace displays the wall covering when placed against the wall?

The fireplace price is correct.

If I do not place the fireplace against a wall, the back of the fireplace does display correctly plus if I try to move it or delete - the correct title is displaying?

I have attached the zip.file containing Fireplace Mesh and NN_FarmFreshFolk_txt.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  FarmFreshFolkFireplace.zip (404.6 KB, 3 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 11:02 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Jul 2021 at 1:49 PM.
I've never made fireplaces (just so that's said - I could be wrong about a few things here), but anything that's placed inside walls (such as windows and doors) usually need a wallmask to display correctly. You either need to make sure these are ticked in the cloning options so you get the needed files from the get-go (I'm guessing at least some fireplaces have them, probably the ones that already have that kind of hole?), or you have to add them into the file manually. EDIT: Apparently they don't.

You'll have to make sure nothing of the mesh is inside the wall. Could be you just need to move the back wall in the middle, or the fireplace itself minus the wood backing (so it still connects to the wall) forwards a bit. Could be an idea to compare it to a TS2 fireplace for placement.

For Name and Description, I can't find any obvious problems. Looks like default-only has been used on both strings (unless there's a third I don't know of, or it's still pulling the strings from the original), which was what I was going to suggest.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 2:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I've never made fireplaces (just so that's said - I could be wrong about a few things here), but anything that's placed inside walls (such as windows and doors) usually need a wallmask to display correctly. You either need to make sure these are ticked in the cloning options so you get the needed files from the get-go (I'm guessing at least some fireplaces have them, probably the ones that already have that kind of hole?), or you have to add them into the file manually. EDIT: Apparently they don't.

You'll have to make sure nothing of the mesh is inside the wall. Could be you just need to move the back wall in the middle, or the fireplace itself minus the wood backing (so it still connects to the wall) forwards a bit. Could be an idea to compare it to a TS2 fireplace for placement.

For Name and Description, I can't find any obvious problems. Looks like default-only has been used on both strings (unless there's a third I don't know of, or it's still pulling the strings from the original), which was what I was going to suggest.

Hello simmer22
Thank you for your reply.
I copied all the cloning options per Numenor's tutorial on fireplaces. I will try moving the fireplace a little more forward to see if that helps.
The Name and Description is an absolute mystery - I think I will try remaking the fireplace from scratch in case the issue is with object data and I didn't do something quite right there.
Thanks again for your support.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 1:46 PM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 12th Sep 2021 at 1:39 PM.
I have tried to create this fireplace again - and have now resolved the issue about showing the wall - it was a "cat's whisker" from the rear side line.
Thanks @simmer22 for this suggestion.

However despite my best efforts I have been unsuccessful at being able to change the title and description.
I downloaded HugeLunatic's fireplace which was updated a few days ago, and when I checked in SimPE for any differences, the only thing I could see was the log texture image was removed - (I tried this but my logs turned white and in game failed to display correctly). My description was more narrative so I tried condensing it too but still no change.

My Catalog Description and Text Lists are identical per the tutorial guide.

At the object data stage, I have renamed the custom name, tried updating the MMATS (usual procedure), update, commit, fix integrity and save for the main GUID. Then updating the custom name, allocating new GUIDs for the other 2 objects, committing and saving. I have also tried clicking update, commit and save on these 2 other objects but still no change of title and description in catalog. I have also tried not ticking update MMATS (as not in the Tutorial) but still no change. Also, I tried updating the object date info for price and ratings too in case that made a difference. When I checked HugeLunatic's package, I did see they were unchanged - just like my original attempt.

I believe I am completing the NN text document correctly as my fireplace does display in the Sims2 Game and it does pick up the price and rating values for fun and room. Again I compared with HugeLunatic's NN Text document. I noted at the end of the package name was 255 (fireplace clone template number) so I tried adding this to my package name but still the same.

As the tutorial was written in 2007, perhaps some parts of SimPE has been amended? Should I be using SimPE in Advanced Mode?
Thank you in advance if anyone has any other suggestions about how to resolve the title and description issue.

Update 12.09.21
I have now successfully created a couple of fireplaces - I think I was naming the text file incorrectly - thankfully all is good now!
Screenshots