Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
#8701 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 5:38 AM
I live in NYC and like I said before, lots of buildings have two faucets/taps. It's only the newer buildings and renovated places that have one where you adjust the temperature, or an automatic one that gradually warms up. TBH, I don't think the one faucet step up is common outside of the kitchen, either. I might see it for half baths, especially if it's a really tiny one, but usually there's two taps for bathrooms.

I didn't realize things varied so greatly across the country, but I'm not surprised. I feel like the southwest & west of the country have way more modern building standards than us on the east coast--at least in NYC. Whenever I watch HGTV, I'm always a little jealous of the things they don't do here. I'm going to have to be on the lookout for faucets, now though! I never noticed that detail before.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#8702 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 6:16 AM
Most of the houses I've lived in have two taps with a shared spout the water come out of and our kitchen sink has a spout with a single handle for the tap that adjust from very hot to cold water and everythin in between.I've had to use a sink in a washroom that had a sput for each tap once as a child vising my grandma at their old home which was a very old house.They moved away from there while I was still very little.
Alchemist
#8703 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 6:58 AM Last edited by omglo : 24th Nov 2020 at 4:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
Most of the houses I've lived in have two taps with a shared spout the water come out of and our kitchen sink has a

Okay, I feel like this is where the confusion is setting in for me (and maybe others?) - spout = tap = spigot. Having separate knobs that control the heat of the water which flows from a single spout is very common in my part of the US (NY, but not NYC).

Two separate spouts, one for hot and one for cold on the same sink is not something I'd ever heard of before tonight. I get the feeling some of us are picturing sink 2 instead of sink 1 during the double tap discussion and thinking of the single tap sink as one like sink 3.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#8704 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 7:20 AM
I live in the UK, and almost all our sinks have two completely separate taps for hot and cold (like picture #1 in the post above). Our kitchen tap is a mixer (like picture #2), but bathroom still has separate taps. All the sinks at the school I work in have separate taps, too. I think single taps (but still with separate hot and cold knobs) are becoming more common in the UK, but I would still be more suprised to see one tap than two.

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Lab Assistant
#8705 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 10:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Okay, I feel like this is where the confusion is setting in for me (and maybe others?) - spout = tap = spigot. Having separate knobs that control the heat of the water which flows from a single spout is very common in my part of the US (NY, but not NYC).
Two separate spouts, one for hot and one for cold on the same sink is not something I'd ever heard of before tonight. I get the feeling some of us are picturing sink 2 instead of sink 1 during the double tap discussion and thinking of the single tap sink as one like sink 3.

Thanks for the clarification. What I saw in the old buildings I mentioned is the version in the first picture, and it struck me as odd at the time, but as I said and Peni Griffin explained, there must have been a logical reason for the arrangement. The version in picture two is what the sinks in our family home were like until my dad remodeled the kitchen and bathroom. Right now having one faucet with a lever is "in".
Forum Resident
#8706 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 1:11 PM
I love how this thread has become a discussion about sinks

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8707 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 2:10 PM
But it's about SIMS sinks! They are all American, I can tell because they all have one spout!

Look! Two taps to turn for hot and cold, but ony one spout...

Forum Resident
#8708 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 3:21 PM
Yeah, my downstairs bathroom has two different spouts for hot and cold, too. My kitchen sink has one spout, but can turn either left or right for hot or cold. My upstairs bathroom is similar to the kitchen. The utility room has one spout and two different levers (if that's even the word I'm looking for).

As someone who doesn't live in the states, I had no idea that two different spouts and levers would be a shocker. That's what's fun about learning about new cultures, I guess.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
#8709 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 6:07 PM
Two separate taps (sink 1 in omglo's post) was the norm in the UK until quite recently, and you can still buy new ones (although they're maybe seen as a bit "retro" now). The first mixer taps I saw were (non-working plastic) ones in my sister's dolls' house. I remember my mother telling us they were called swivel taps. That would be about 1959, and the taps were attached to a modern-style sink unit. (Well, modern for 1959!) It was a long time before I started seeing (or noticing) them in real life.

All the sinks in our old house were renewed in the 70s and 80s, but they still all had two completely separate taps (omglo sink 1). We got a new Ikea sink unit in our main kitchen around 1995-2000, and it had two taps with one spout (omglo sink 2). All the sinks in our new (built 2019) house have omglo sink 3 type taps, but with a lever instead of a tap. Our bath is like omglo's sink 2.

All my Sims have got omglo sink 2 type taps, but I never noticed before until now. I thoroughly approve of the way my Sims wash their hands, as they do it the way my mother taught me. Sadly, most of the time they only wash their hands when I tell ask them.

What a fascinating direction this discussion has taken!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#8710 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 6:09 PM
I love playing University & lately I've been playing wants based which I never used to do so this Want is very new to me, much like the fear "Blossom gets expelled" - I love this. Blossom & Klara are romantically involved thanks to ACR so it made it even more cute.

I have seen the "Help ____ with Homework" Want, but never the assignment one.
Screenshots
Theorist
#8711 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 6:18 PM
When a sim can't pay their vacation bills, they pile up in their residential home (hope this sentence makes sense)
Alchemist
#8712 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 6:35 PM Last edited by omglo : 24th Nov 2020 at 6:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Essa
When a sim can't pay their vacation bills, they pile up in their residential home (hope this sentence makes sense)

Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
I love playing University & lately I've been playing wants based which I never used to do so this Want is very new to me, much like the fear "Blossom gets expelled" - I love this. Blossom & Klara are romantically involved thanks to ACR so it made it even more cute.

I have seen the "Help ____ with Homework" Want, but never the assignment one.
Great discoveries, but what are the sinks like where you live?
Theorist
#8713 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 6:53 PM Last edited by Essa : 24th Nov 2020 at 7:21 PM.
@omglo
As a French living in Paris I have never seen sinks like the one in picture 1.
I have sink with mixer taps (mixing faucet) in both my kitchen and my bathroom since two years.
I'm more used to faucet like the one in my picture or domotics ones.
I have mixed feelings towards some modern mixer taps. Sometimes it takes minutes to figure out how the thing works to get the right temperature (too cold or too hot).
Screenshots
Test Subject
#8714 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 8:43 PM
Here in Germany I also never saw a sink like picture 1. All the sinks in my house are like picture 3 (attached picture style), but you will find many sinks like picture 2 and typical sims 2 sinks also. My parents and grandparents have sinks like picture 2. Their bathrooms aren´t older than my, it´s just personal preference I think. The same versions are for showers and bathtubes.

I like this style because I can open, controll and close it with the elbow or underarm without touching it with my hands. I find that rather hygienic even without corona, like with dirty hands from cooking/baking/gardening. And it´s easy to regulate the temperature.
Scholar
#8715 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 8:44 PM
Great discoveries, but what are the sinks like where you live?

Excuse the tiles & appearance of the taps.
These are the upstairs taps, downstairs are the same but cold & hot are the opposite sides for some weird reason.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#8716 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 8:47 PM
Sims exclusively use mixer taps of various designs.

Could this be the reason the UK has stuck with old fashioned separate taps?

Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#8717 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 9:14 PM Last edited by Annaminna : 24th Nov 2020 at 9:26 PM.
I think the rest of Europe joins with Essa and tigergirl. In my childhood house built in 50-ies we didn't have hot water for sinks, only cold water faucet and boiler in bathroom was only for bathtub with mixer faucet and a shower combo. Just like Colonial ComboClean by Imperial Plumbing Works
Lab Assistant
#8718 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 11:28 PM
I'm laughing tears! Oh my goodness, I had no idea this would become a discussion about sinks. Everybody have a
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8719 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 12:05 AM
Does anyone have bath taps like this?

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#8720 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 2:14 AM
All the shower/bath controls I've ever seen in real life have had one controller, and usually some incredibly idiosyncratic mechanism for controlling the temperature such that it's usually impossible to figure out the first time and you have to ask the owner of the house how it works.
Field Researcher
#8721 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
usually some incredibly idiosyncratic mechanism for controlling the temperature such that it's usually impossible to figure out the first time and you have to ask the owner of the house how it works.

EVERY. TIME.
Mad Poster
#8722 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 4:13 AM
Not now, Simsample, but some really old places we rented (intermountain northwest, USA) have had that style of tub faucets. We even had one of the two spigot two knob kind once. Old, old claw footed tub. The sort of rental where you're considering if you want to use the really expensive 1940s gas furnace or use the original wood fireplace if you're lucky, or spending all winter saying dear Lord why did they pull the wood stoves that would have been so much more efficient and cheaper, and also has no one who ever owned this property heard of insulation?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#8723 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 4:37 AM
My tub has three knobs mounted to the wall. One for hot water, one for cold and one that controls whether the water comes out of the spout or the shower head.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8724 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 9:29 AM
My tub has three knobs mounted to the wall. One for hot water, one for cold and one that controls whether the water comes out of the spout or the shower head.
Once I managed to wash the walls in a hotel room that had one of those!
Mad Poster
#8725 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 10:29 AM
My showertub has four taps, one faucet, and one showerhead. The upper pair of taps turn on the showerhead and the lower pair turn on the faucet, which has a lever on it to (theoretically) open and close the drain. The lever doesn't work very well but it doesn't really matter because, though the tub and fixtures are all relatively new, the pipes are the original iron pipes from when the house was built in 1910, and they're so clogged with rust and limescale it takes approximately eight hours to fill the tub. I haven't had a bath in years.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Page 349 of 445