Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

(UPDATE 1-SEP-2014) Salvaged Junkyard Objects Made Usable

by icarus_allsorts Posted 28th Mar 2014 at 3:02 PM - Updated 1st Sep 2014 at 10:14 AM by icarus_allsorts : Mod Update

114 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 37 Feedback Posts, 76 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#26 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 11:20 AM
Thank You So Much!!!!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#27 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 7:01 PM
Guess I will now be creating a separate Icarus\-subfolder within Packages\, thanks for all those wonderfull (including this) mods. Much Appreciated!!!!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#28 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 9:14 PM
My island sims are gonna love this!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#29 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 11:39 PM
Perfect! Thank you so much. ♥
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 11:17 AM
Icarus, after traveling to Egypt on load up, I've received this error notification.
Chain, thinks it has something to do with this mod of yours.

EasyRead:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
#0: 0x00015 throw in System.Collections.Generic.System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2:Add (string,Sims3.Gameplay.Core.Commands/CommandInfo) (2F52A900 [2EE57DC0] [vt:643F38F4] )
#1: 0x00022 callvirt in Sims3.Gameplay.Core.Commands+CommandRegistry:Register (string,string,Sims3.Gameplay.Core.Commands/CommandType,Sims3.SimIFace.CommandHandler,bool) (2E622FF0 [2EE57DC0] [2EB549C0] [1] [39662E10] [0] )
#2: 0x00012 call in Sims3.Gameplay.Core.Commands+CommandRegistry:Register (string,string,Sims3.Gameplay.Core.Commands/CommandType,Sims3.SimIFace.CommandHandler) (2E622FF0 [2EE57DC0] [2EB549C0] [1] [39662E10] )
#3: 0x0001c callvirt in icarusallsorts.icarusallsorts.SalvageJunkyardObjects:OnWorldLoadFinished (object,System.EventArgs) ([2E5A88A0] [2FCDBAD0] )
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Full file is attached to this post.

You should have let me (J4Ks) test this mod
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ScriptErrorTravelerStevSet.rar (1.9 KB, 10 downloads)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 12:24 PM
@stevset: Thanks for the report, I think I see where the problem is (the cheat code I added), lemme see about fixing it
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 12:41 PM
Haven't tried the update yet, but in the original there is an issue with some items only having the "Replace for $$$$" action once salvaged, so far it's happened to a dresser, lounger, sofa, clothes dryer, dishwasher, tv and the exercise equipment. I found, by accident, that if you use MC to "repair all" then these items become fully functioning normal versions, no dirty textures and with their resell price back.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#33 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 1:14 PM
Tested the newest version and what ever you did in that version, either silenced or fix the load up errors. No ScriptError in sight except the usual "correction log" from Nraas ErrorTrap. Thanks!! :-D
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#34 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 1:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bejaymac
Haven't tried the update yet, but in the original there is an issue with some items only having the "Replace for $$$$" action once salvaged, so far it's happened to a dresser, lounger, sofa, clothes dryer, dishwasher, tv and the exercise equipment. I found, by accident, that if you use MC to "repair all" then these items become fully functioning normal versions, no dirty textures and with their resell price back.

Dryers, exercise equipment and dressers (unless you have Pets installed, in which case it is considered a "scratchable repairable" object by the game despite there not being a repair option for scratched objects) only have a 50% chance of being usable when salvaged with the mod. Strange about the other objects because those certainly had their interactions on them when I tested (even on the very first version), it sounds like the mod was completely absent or not doing it's thing there. And I didn't know that MC's repair all fixes charred objects. Guess that would be the easiest way to fix salvaged objects without this mod.
Née whiterider
retired moderator THANKS POST
#35 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 2:02 PM
This is -amazing-. It was so damn obvious that this is how salvaged objects should have worked from day one, I dunno why EA didn't do it themselves; if I still played TS3 I would be going nuts with this mod.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#36 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 7:31 PM
This is brilliant! I always wondered what the point of salvaging anything was...
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by icarus_allsorts
And I didn't know that MC's repair all fixes charred objects. Guess that would be the easiest way to fix salvaged objects without this mod.

No idea if MC can fix the salvaged items or not as I've never tried before installing your mod, what I was referring to was the 50% chance items you mentioned, MC will replace it with a fully functioning version with clean textures. MC doesn't appear to affect salvaged items that work after you remove them from the family inventory, they still have the charred textures.

I only used MC because I was fed up with my sim getting frazzled, she got zapped twice trying to repair a plasma tv, she spent more time bathing than repairing it
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#38 Old 31st Mar 2014 at 5:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bejaymac
No idea if MC can fix the salvaged items or not as I've never tried before installing your mod, what I was referring to was the 50% chance items you mentioned, MC will replace it with a fully functioning version with clean textures. MC doesn't appear to affect salvaged items that work after you remove them from the family inventory, they still have the charred textures.

I only used MC because I was fed up with my sim getting frazzled, she got zapped twice trying to repair a plasma tv, she spent more time bathing than repairing it

Ah, then I think I see the cause, with the mod installed whenever ANY broken object is repaired (regardless of whether it was a salvaged object or a normally bought one that was broken) the mod reapplies the default clean texture on the object (or a dirty one if the object needs to be cleaned) to remove the burnt texture. Since the mod can't tell between salvaged objects and non-salvaged ones atm, using MC's repair all will reapply the clean textures when it repairs the broken objects, the salvaged objects that were already working weren't broken to begin with so are not affected by this.

And the repair difficulty being amped up for salvaged objects is a feature of the mod - that plasma tv was technically free after all :D
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#39 Old 31st Mar 2014 at 1:38 PM
You're the hero this world needs.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 1st Apr 2014 at 9:44 PM
I LOVE this! I was wanting one last time I played the game... But... Is there any chance of getting a version of this that doesn't make the objects worth $0...? Or that restores the value after they've been repaired? My sim has been making his living off salvaging, collecting, and fishing... But mostly salvaging...

When a man kills a tiger, it is called a game.
When a Tiger kills a man, then it is called savagery...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#41 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 6:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Horser01
Is there any chance of getting a version of this that doesn't make the objects worth $0...? Or that restores the value after they've been repaired?

The way the mod is made changing the price of the object after repair would affect all objects being repaired, including non-salvaged ones, so I'd like to avoid that. It is possible to do (I think) but I'd rather not do it since I made the mod with the intention NOT to have sims make a living from reselling junk, but rather have it as a means for them to get free (possibly) usable furniture if they're too hard up on cash to buy them.
Test Subject
#42 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 3:21 PM
Aaaaah, I need help.
Are the interactions only unlocked for Young Adults and older? Also, what level of repair/invention do they need to salvage and repair?
I put the mod in the packages folder but should I have put it in the overrides folder instead?
Site Helper
THANKS POST
#43 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 8:45 PM
I will let you know if it's working properly in 1.63 as soon as I get a good chance to test it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#44 Old 3rd Apr 2014 at 8:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by StishStash
Are the interactions only unlocked for Young Adults and older? Also, what level of repair/invention do they need to salvage and repair?
I put the mod in the packages folder but should I have put it in the overrides folder instead?

Salvaging and repairing should be available for Teens and above. Salvaging doesn't need any skills, I'm not sure if any particular level of handiness is needed to repair objects by default but I don't thik so (I've made no changes to how that aspect of the game works). Low leveled sims will probably take forever trying to repair a salvaged objects due to the design of the mod though. And you don't have to put it in the overrides folder, it should work just fine in the mods folder.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#45 Old 4th Apr 2014 at 3:13 AM
This is great. I quit going to the junkyards because of this. No point. Thank you so much.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#46 Old 4th Apr 2014 at 4:25 AM
Thanks.
Test Subject
#47 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 4:11 AM
Salvaging and repairing should be available for Teens and above. Salvaging doesn't need any skills, I'm not sure if any particular level of handiness is needed to repair objects by default but I don't thik so (I've made no changes to how that aspect of the game works). Low leveled sims will probably take forever trying to repair a salvaged objects due to the design of the mod though. And you don't have to put it in the overrides folder, it should work just fine in the mods folder.

That's weird because salvaging doesn't show up at all when i click on stuff?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#48 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 5:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by StishStash
That's weird because salvaging doesn't show up at all when i click on stuff?

The Salvage interaction should appear only on burnt objects found on junkyard lots. Are you sure the lot you tried on is marked as a Junkyard/Junkyard with no visitors and are you are clicking on is a burnt object? The objects originally placed on the lot as decoration don't count (unless they happened to be burnt in an explosion perhaps). If the interaction doesn't show up at all that IS weird since this mod doesn't change the interaction at all like I said, it still uses the default interaction which follows these rules
Test Subject
#49 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 12:47 AM
The Salvage interaction should appear only on burnt objects found on junkyard lots. Are you sure the lot you tried on is marked as a Junkyard/Junkyard with no visitors and are you are clicking on is a burnt object? The objects originally placed on the lot as decoration don't count (unless they happened to be burnt in an explosion perhaps). If the interaction doesn't show up at all that IS weird since this mod doesn't change the interaction at all like I said, it still uses the default interaction which follows these rules

ooooh THATS why. I had created an apocalyptic world where junk spawned all over the world naturally. No wonder. thanks.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#50 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 4:35 AM
Finally! A solution to the most irritating, senseless 'feature' in Ambitions! Thank you, my friend, thank you very much!
Page 2 of 5