Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Meet Me In My Next Life
#26 Old 17th Aug 2021 at 12:21 AM Last edited by Simonut : 17th Aug 2021 at 12:31 AM.
My desktop was custom build at a computer company that build computer I am using Window 7 the company after building gave me the Window 7 OS.
When will window creators realize that Window 7 is one of their best system.

I am not interest in 10 or whatever comes after as long as my 7 system work that what I am using.
All one need to do that have window 7 is be sure to have good protection on it.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 8th Sep 2021 at 5:53 AM
Some users have gotten Windows 11 to actually run their game easier than 10. I'm in the process of upgrading and will keep you guys updated
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 19th Sep 2021 at 7:45 PM
are us Origin sims 2 UC players safe? i'd think we are, yeah?

22. male. he/him. autistic.
REST IN PEACE JOTARO KUJO. JUNE 2020 - JANUARY 2021.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 11:53 AM
Cmiiw: most of Windows 11 update are UI (sorry MS), not on compatibility (except the fact W11 will only run on 64bit system and that horrendous TPM and security boot requirement). So I think we should be fine

For (the best) system resources management, stay on Windows 8 RTM (not 8.1 or 7 or 10). It is one of the best OS on Ram management (yea I knew the UI sucks). Basically its like Vista SP2.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 29th Sep 2021 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zystem
are us Origin sims 2 UC players safe? i'd think we are, yeah?

I wonder the same thing.
Test Subject
#32 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 8:37 PM
any updates on this topic?
Field Researcher
#33 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 10:21 PM
Just downloaded The Sims 2 from Origin (Stories not yet, but they are next in the queue) and it works fine after the Graphics Rules fix.
Scholar
#34 Old 9th Oct 2021 at 3:09 PM Last edited by ElaineNualla : 9th Oct 2021 at 7:02 PM.
it's Microsoft's product you should expect performance decrease, a lot of bloat, usual mess (especially at the beginning) etc. Wait maybe a 2 years until the worst will be somewhat cleaned and patched their typical "rubber stick and gum" way.

Will you see the problems in the game (besides usual, well known ones) ? Depends of your hardware. As usual - if you have got the older stuff you are much more prone to get the hit than if you got newer. If it will be significant? Probably not - this is really old, not very demanding software. Will you see performance loss if you're avid gamer always wanting to get the "newest and shiniest"? Definitelly. Additional detrimental element may be new hardware virtualization model which is supposed to be "more secure" (ehm...)* whatever the outcome shall be in this departament, it's another layer of complexity which inevitably will produce performance problems.

Now numbers:
stock installation of W10 uses ~1.5 GB, and runs around 110 processes (~900 threads) (which is completely idiotic, but, well...) Cached RAM runs at ca. another 1GB.
the same parameters for stock W11: 1.9 GB around 140 processes (>1200 threads) and another 2.5 GB cashed RAM.

Ofc nobody with at least 2 braincells runs the stock windows. You probably can shave off most of the bloat to the reasonable state of "usually bad", still - it's the Windows, do not expect miracles. If you really are excited about the 'pseudo-Mac' interface, just get yourself the MacBook (run a hackintosh, or even simpler - install Mac-ish Desktop on some *ux) and be happy, taking into account that this new mess is pushed with typical "buy a new computer" mantra, for the time being it may be, even in the Fruit case, cheaper.

*this is actually not the MS doing by the power of its infinite wisdom but the new level of magic thinking from the DOD (and other governmental bodies in the US). Any attempt to installation the MS software on any critical infrastructure should be treated as criminal negligence (or terror act even if someone is in that kind of stuff ), there's a reason why even the MS do not use (since '90 of the last century) it's own software within theirs infrastructure.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#36 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 2:42 PM
It's not "a bug" it's the way how the system was designed to work - the memory management in each Windows installation since XP is built around this.
It became a source of problems since latest patches in Win7 and while Win8 introduction when they introduced their own surveillance model into the system (which drasticly increased payload of the system ofc). By changing several policies (not by "clearing the 'standby RAM' " this is actually placebo at best at worst this will be detrimental for the stability and performance) you can however, mitigate the systems' aggresivness in this area, and that's all what the actually working solutions does.

The new hardware abstraction model is already reported as a source of problems (which should be expected). After a while there will be workarounds so - it won't affect those who does not need to immediatelly get the "newest and finest".
Does this will affect Sims2 ? Doubtful, the game's requirements are pretty low and footprint not very significant (until you have got low end machine). On the other hand, it's WIndows and this is Microsoft, expect the work of mysterious forces and a lot of 'WTF?' moments.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Field Researcher
#37 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 10:30 PM
I installed Windows 11 and The Sims (UC) is working very well

Please, sorry for my bad English..
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nightlight
I installed Windows 11 and The Sims (UC) is working very well

Awesome . Did you have to do anything? Windows asked me if I wanted windows 11 for free today and I said "not now" because i'm scared of it.

My Simblr
He/They
Field Researcher
#39 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 11:21 PM
I don't know, but I just got a new PC in 2019 or so. So hopefully I won't be finding out anything about Windows 11 for a long, long time. My Vista PC lasted me a good 10 years. I suspected hard drive failure before the thunderstorm hit, and new software stopped supporting it, but other than that, solid as a rock.

Also, I never upgrade the OS (7 to 10, etc.) on a computer that I already own. Updates tend to break things, or make it harder to find things.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by siletka
Sims 2 takes about ten minutes to launch on Windows 10 for me (not like loading into the game, I mean literally launch. double clicking the shortcut to actually seeing the game on screen takes ten minutes).

I found a windows xp machine I built for ts2 six years ago in my garage and hooked it back up recently. It’s not getting security patches or anything so I don’t have it online. It runs the game really well with just 3gb of ram and an ancient 1gb graphics card

I feel like win 10 is gonna be the last home for ts2. Don’t think it’ll do well with win 11.

I thought I was the only one! It takes so long to launch The Sims 2 on Windows 10. And I cannot figure out why! The documents folder is even on an M.2 NVME. Everything loads fine, it's just launching that takes so long (which is why I have to mentally prepare myself before I launch TS2).
Field Researcher
#41 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 7:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Neverwinter_Knight77
I thought I was the only one! It takes so long to launch The Sims 2 on Windows 10. And I cannot figure out why! The documents folder is even on an M.2 NVME. Everything loads fine, it's just launching that takes so long (which is why I have to mentally prepare myself before I launch TS2).

Assuming you don’t have a ton of CC that would cause a long launch, do you maybe have an AMD graphics card?
Field Researcher
#42 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 7:25 AM
I have very little custom content. But it is an AMD card.
Field Researcher
#43 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Neverwinter_Knight77
I have very little custom content. But it is an AMD card.

It seems to be a frequent issue with AMD graphics. Try running the game with dxvk; even if your game doesn't really need it, it might help with the loading times.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
Awesome . Did you have to do anything? Windows asked me if I wanted windows 11 for free today and I said "not now" because i'm scared of it.

Windows asked me the same thing and I agreed to do the update.
The download was a bit long (I have a slow connection) but except that everything went fine.
Plus, I noted that The Sims 2 now loads faster

Please, sorry for my bad English..
Test Subject
#45 Old 3rd Dec 2021 at 11:01 PM
Anyone had the problem with the pourple soup in Win 11? I live with this problem on windows 10 and I hate it.
Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 3rd Dec 2021 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by filipi75056
Anyone had the problem with the pourple soup in Win 11? I live with this problem on windows 10 and I hate it.

Have you tried the stuff here? https://marasims.tumblr.com/post/17...-crashing-fixed I haven't played to figure out if i've fixed my purple soup issue or not.

Edit: I have windows 10 too.

My Simblr
He/They
Inventor
#47 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 2:21 AM
I apologize for this outburst of necrophilia but I had to post a reply exactly here. The reason:

In a post earlier in this thread I wrote that we are safe until 2025. I hope you still are but I was not; I had to buy a new PC and of course, it came with Windows 11. To make a long and sad story short - after a cruel fight with the Windows the Windows won. Only today did I gather enough courage to have another look at the internet and this time, gods took pity of me and led me to this thread. In the post above there is a link to MaraSims and there I found a link to Graphic Rules Maker.

Now, I have played the game since TS came out but somehow, I completely missed this program.

I installed it and clicked here and clicked there and vanilla TS2 ran perfectly. With trembling hands, I added all my GBs of stuff and it is still running perfectly. This is the reason why I had to post exactly here.

But seriously, do try to stay safe. Windows 11 is really not worth the trouble, and not only because of TS2.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 4:57 AM
I bought this PC almost a year ago, it came with Windows 10 but I upgraded to 11 a month or two after. That very well might explain the purple soup I got the other day, as I'd never experienced it on my old PC. I never had it with Windows 10. I set up Graphics Rules Maker, the 4GB patch and all the rest at the time I installed TS2 in early November. I had no issues with it until the other day, but maybe Windows 11 is the reason I never encountered the pink flashing disco lights before.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 5:30 AM
In my experience there are two main versions of Pink-flashy disco lights, and I've had them both.

1: The "mild" case. Usually caused by a long play session, with a bit too much CC, or a heavy lot, or snow on the ground, and usually when you're a bit heavy on the graphics - basically the game's way of telling you it's getting tired and it needs to dump out some memory, so things are starting to get a bit serious. This one tends to come on gradually, starts with one item, and spreads.

For the first issue, it's mostly the regular advice - things to reduce strain. My old computer had this issue from time to time, and by avoiding the situations where pink-flashing was most prominent, I could play very long sessions with a lot of CC, and keep the potential pink-flashy sessions to a minimum. You can to some degree stop the pink-flashing, but reloading the game is the best "fix".

2: The "Pink soup startup" case. You barely have CC, you're playing on simple lots, ingame weather is nice, and your graphics are really the best of the best, and likely you're also just setting up the game because you just got a new system that's better than your old one, or upgraded your old system, so there's no reason why your game is FLASHING DISCO, OH WHY???

My new laptop had this issue. Even without any CC, I could barely visit a single lot before the entire neighborhood started flashing pink, and I even had pink issues in Bodyshop (!). Both of them were more or less unplayable. This turned out to be an issue in the old version of GRM (it's fixed in the new one). I did a manual fix before the new one was released, and the pink soup went away, but it took me a while to find the cause of the problem.

Other things can cause the system to have a high enough memory load to cause pink-flashing - some people have had issues with high-poly LOD items in lot view causing too much strain on the system. Turning these off, or turning off hood deco/neighbors and reducing the view distance reduces the load quite a bit. Then there's the usual culprits like high-poly items with a lot of large textures attached. Snow on the ground can be an issue if there's a ton of items for the game to calculate around or apply snow textures to (I nearly always had issues with snow, now I just turn it off until I want it).
Mad Poster
#50 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 8:52 AM
I had no problems at all with sims 2 and Win 10. And I think, when the time comes, I will be able to make it work on Win 11 as well.
Page 2 of 3