Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#226 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 2:22 PM
Try turning CFE on and using the level terrain tool on it to level it, once level you can delete it. Or if level terrain isn't working, with CFE still on grab a floor tile and see if you can place it someplace on the CFE work, that may also level a piece. You need a level square so you can flatten it and once flat it can be demolished- if that makes sense?

Otherwise just turn the ceiling tile off and the triangles will vanish. They only show when the ceiling toggle is turned on.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#227 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 3:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Try turning CFE on and using the level terrain tool on it to level it, once level you can delete it. Or if level terrain isn't working, with CFE still on grab a floor tile and see if you can place it someplace on the CFE work, that may also level a piece. You need a level square so you can flatten it and once flat it can be demolished- if that makes sense?

Otherwise just turn the ceiling tile off and the triangles will vanish. They only show when the ceiling toggle is turned on.
Thanks! I'll try leveling it and grabbing a floor tile. I hope one of those works!

It's hard to get shots with that CFE created structure in the way. The buildings sit on either side of a walkway and both buildings are 3 stories tall. If I want a shot down the walkway, either I get no ceilings in the buildings or I get triangles. I've managed by taking shots very carefully and by finding a couple of double sided floor tiles I could place on overhanging balconies, but I dread dealing with it. I like the lot. I spent a great deal of time modifying the original and turning it into something I can use and that fits my neighborhood. It's frustrating to deal with that major limitation. Example: You can see pieces of the structure hanging up in in the air at the end of the walk and standing in the way with green fences on top. The shot was taken with ceilings off and double sided tile on the balcony floors so I could get just that slice. I carefully avoided the interiors of the buildings. I think it looks strange.

Shows structure from the front looking back. It includes fences that don't work with the lot design - can't delete them. I took the shot very carefully and still got part of the triangles.

Overall lot from the rear which shows the general design. The arch does not work well.

Instructor
#228 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yellan
Here's my random/stupid question. I went on a search for eyeglasses to download and was surprised at how few I found. Are they hard to make compared to other cc, or do other people just not like to have glasses-wearing sims?

These, these, and these are ones on MTS that I've found to work really well. They already have a variety of colors that come with the downloads, so you don't have to scour the interwebs looking for recolors & what not.

I use glasses in my game pretty typically, but I can't speak for the rest of the players out there...Although I've always assumed they've been used frequently. I don't see why they wouldn't be.
Mad Poster
#229 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 4:18 PM
Some time back, I asked if you could put the pirate ship in a Three Lakes-variation neighborhood. I am trying to finish up my test custom vacation hood, which actually does have some beach area. I was concerned I'd get Captain Dregg with the package if I stuck the ship in there. I don't want the Captain anywhere near. I just want my Sims to clamber around on the boat. No ghosties, thanks. Pirates visited areas other than warm-weather ones, such as Newfoundland, Canada. Hardly very tropical up there!

I'm presuming that either my question got buried among many, it was so stupid a question that people wondered why I would ask it (well, I DID put it in the right section!), or people didn't know themselves.

Oh, well.

My second question though, is even more stupid than the one before, but I want to make sure before I stick this in one of my strip-mall stores. Unlike the good captain, food stand chefs are not usually matters of NPC concern unless they roam your lots or call you (in which case, you DO have a huge ... and fortunately very rare ... problem). You can stick any food stand in a regular hood. You can stick any one in a Uni hood. You CAN stick any of these in a vacation hood, right? I think my Sims in the Three Lakes-variation custom hood might fancy a bit of Asian cuisine now and again, but I'd prefer not to blow my hood up after working on it for a month and a half if my presumption is incorrect!

As for the glasses ... didn't some creators have issues with the glass? I know at least a few CC glasses don't even have glass in them. At any rate, there are glasses out there with glass, but admittedly, they aren't always easy to find.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Field Researcher
#230 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 5:31 PM
You can place the pirate ship on any community lot that has the beach/water space for it. What subhood it's in doesn't matter. Ditto for the food stands.

edit - as for the pirate ghost, my sims have never seen him so I'm guessing you can easily avoid him.
Alchemist
#231 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 9:08 PM
my question about making objects gender-specific (version 3 of this thread); figured it out for arches. would upload them to the Download section of this site after a while.

unrelated to that::
hypothetical; if a sim was engaged to 2 or more characters, would all of them be available on the wedding arch if each of them was on lot?
if fiance/fiancee was present through phone/computer, would that character be available on wedding arch?
Instructor
#232 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 2:38 AM
I didnt think that sims could be engaged to more than one sim
Field Researcher
#233 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 2:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
As for the glasses ... didn't some creators have issues with the glass? I know at least a few CC glasses don't even have glass in them. At any rate, there are glasses out there with glass, but admittedly, they aren't always easy to find.

Oooooh, that would make sense. Thanks for the link, @Gremily_ -- I really like those Hofstadter ones and use them a lot. I went looking for similar styles, thinking SURELY someone has created a bunch of the Warby Parker glasses for sims -- I can't possibly be the first person to have that idea, right? -- but came up mostly empty other than a few standbys I've had in my game a long time. And then I thought it was weird that people made 86 bajillion lipsticks but not all that many glasses. And THEN I thought, maybe I should learn to make things and make my own, but not if making glasses is way harder than other types of cc.
Mad Poster
#234 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 10:11 AM
Yes - the food stands can go anyhwere, all of them, @Gazania
Scholar
#235 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 1:51 PM
@gazania: Don't let your sims explore the captain's cabin and you'll never see him.

@mdsb759, @Fearless Butterfly: There's a ring box at Simslice/Booty that makes it possible to get engaged to as many sims as you want. I'm not sure if they all show up at the regular wedding arch but there's a custom arch at MATY that allows polygamy.

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Mad Poster
#236 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 8:54 PM Last edited by gazania : 24th Mar 2016 at 8:16 PM.
Another question.

At last. I finished my vacation test hood except for the Bigfoot secret lot. i back up the hood just in incase Bigfoot goes horribly rogue.

So far, so good.

I checked a few characters in the character file. OK ...

But I notice that the game very occasionally uses a .1 number. I'll have a User 0381 and a User 0381.1, for instance. They almost all seem to related to server NPCs, such as the food stand chefs and waiters. I don't see any photo I can access for the .1s via Sim PE. None at all. But the .1 files do refer to the corresponding non-.1 files. it's almost like these servers have extra data that wound up stuck in another file. Sims PE does not have this numbering system, so no help there.

Let's take Hanka P, who appears to be a food stand worker for the Asian food stand. If you want to access her file in Sim PE, the game refers to the .1 file, and asks you if you want to commit to changes. I didn't MAKE any changes. I was just trying to access the file, so I clicked "no", since I have no idea what I'm committing to! However, you can look at both individual files from the game file with no problem.

(EDITED because the "EP16" text bit applies to several characters, not these odd ones.)

Is this some sort of glitch on Maxis' end? I'm presuming so, since other characters' normal (not .1) files read "Sims 2 EP 6" or whatever EP they came from. I KNOW I haven't done anything weird in the neighborhood ... at least nothing that would generate an "EP 16"! I'm so wary of VBTs that I recite all of them in my sleep!

This is of no concern. I hope? I resolve to close the file, leave both parts in there, and never mess with them in the future. I HOPE that's a solid idea.

Field Researcher
#237 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 9:04 PM
Not sure if it helps any gazania, but I have those files in my character folder too - I opened it up and peeked just for you.
Mad Poster
#238 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:01 PM
My gut instinct is still that there are a few glitched Maxis characters out there. When I had that massive implosive hood corruption years back, my Sims disappeared; NOT wound up with an .1 extension. The number with the .1 is the same Sim as the one without. And after looking over the Wiki again, I KNOW I haven't done any of the things on there, my files are read-only, etc. I've bulldozed community lots and hotel lots, sure, but not any with an Asian food chef or any other of the .1 characters on it, and as far as I know, unless there are graves on the lot or the lot is owned by a Sim (and this was not the case with Hanka or the other .1 character in the hood), getting rid of a community lot, dorm or hotel lot is OK, once you are sure you haven't done anything that the Wiki proclaims is a VBT (and use the Cyjon ball for good measure). I haven't even touched an lot with an Asian food chef in months. More than a year, at the least.

According to Hoodchecker, other than the usual stuff you get, I see absolutely nothing odd. I specifically looked for Hanka there, since she was the character I noticed first. She's not even listed. It might be a similar situation to those three servers with the odd IDs that drive people crazy when they run Hoodchecker ... someone at Maxis goofed, and we have a few more glitched characters than we thought.

I believe the proper action is to enjoy the game and leave well enough alone.

Thank you for checking, BTW. I presume you know you haven't done any VBTs, either.

Lab Assistant
#239 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:17 PM
I downloaded a beach lot here from MTS (no CC). I was unable to place it in my neighborhood, so I used the LotAdjuster to make it fit. It turned out fine, but I discovered a piece of land hovering above the ground. It's not possible to remove it by any means I know of. Has anybody else experienced this? Is it a bad sign? The game doesn't seem to mind thus far.

Screenshots
Theorist
#240 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:25 PM
maybe try and build over it to see if it'll go away
Theorist
#241 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:43 PM
Second attempt since my first one was buried.

I ran Hoodchecker today a few days ago and fixed the few memories errors I had.
Quote:
Subject does not exist: 0x008B Naïka London: Had X Grandchildren (SimID=0xEEB8B7B8)
Subject does not exist: 0x00E1 Malika Khan: Had X Best Friends (SimID=0x004A707E)

How do I fix those? I added the sim as subject, hit commit and saved the file. It seems the changes didn't stick.
Lab Assistant
#242 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 12:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
maybe try and build over it to see if it'll go away

I've already tried that, I'm afraid. The game doesn't allow me to do anything with that tile - cheats or without.
Mad Poster
#243 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 2:19 AM Last edited by gazania : 25th Mar 2016 at 5:45 PM.
I suppose you didn't keep the pre-shrunk copy of the lot? Can you open it in a test hood to see if some item was near that patch of sand, or if that glitchy patch was around before you shrunk the lot (perhaps not as pronounced)? .

WIll the game do something horrible if there are two food items with the same name? Some time ago, I downloaded some Greek food, and never realized that for some reason, "Moussaka" is coming out as "Hamburger" in the menu, so now I have two "hamburgers" at two different prices. I am guessing (and hoping) that the game records just one "hamburger". I would be reluctant to simply delete the CC hamburger. I've learned to be a lot more cautious with food now and always test first, but I rarely used this menu item over the last few years, so honestly, I didn't notice it.

Scholar
#244 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 3:42 AM
Look at the text strings in SimPE. The food is probably cloned from hamburgers and the creator forgot to rename all strings for all languages properly (or forgot to delete the strings for all other languages but the default US English).

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Field Researcher
#245 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Essa
Second attempt since my first one was buried.

I ran Hoodchecker today a few days ago and fixed the few memories errors I had.

How do I fix those? I added the sim as subject, hit commit and saved the file. It seems the changes didn't stick.

I had one or two like that. I just deleted them (the memories) in simpe.
Mad Poster
#246 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 8:55 AM Last edited by gazania : 24th Mar 2016 at 4:57 PM. Reason: Just more stuff.
Quote: Originally posted by arathea
Look at the text strings in SimPE. The food is probably cloned from hamburgers and the creator forgot to rename all strings for all languages properly (or forgot to delete the strings for all other languages but the default US English).

I have utterly no idea what to do with this. I never touched the food files before!

The troublesome food is the moussaka from simaddict99. It came out quite a while ago, and I'm sure simaddict has long gone on to other pursuits. The TSR profile seemed to be updated around 2009 or so.

I see a couple of things that, while looking at it and from what I know about CC food now, makes me realize I shouldn't have downloaded it. It's allegedly group only. Duh. (Could THAT be why one reason why the menu item showing up as hamburger when my Sim orders a single plate?) I probably thought at the time it simply wouldn't show up at all unless as a group meal. (Wrong!) I actually don't see it on the dinner menu directly (makes sense), and only as "hamburger" on those single plates. (Ditto.) If I click on the hamburger menu item that corresponds to it (it's only 7 Simoleons), I do get the moussaka, and it functions perfectly well. The Sim eats it just fine. Strangely, the gyros and baklava from the same set have worked great all this time. No problems. So I'm not quite sure why this menu item is a pain.

When I look in the moussaka text file, I see references to turkey, not hamburger. Nothing like confusing things further! I wonder if the hamburger is a default food if the game is confused, just like certain outfits are in CAS if the mesh is missing. Fortunately, all my other menu items, which I apparently researched a whole lot more, work fine, so I couldn't tell you that. I'm not sure if the game actually considers it a hamburger, though, and would be reluctant to remove the food unless I knew for sure.

I'm thinking that because I'm so clueless about how to fix this to work as a single plate (after all, simaddict99, who had more experience with CC food, must have had trouble doing this, so I doubt I could learn in five minutes unless someone wants to sit with me and work through every step!), I should leave well enough alone. If I do an across-the-board reset, I can get rid of it then. From the various posts here, I'm understanding that you don't remove food items once the Sim has made them.

Forum Resident
#247 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 3:26 PM
I've had two platinum tombstones recently, both of them showing the wrong aspiration. Should I be worried? (Didn't find anything useful upon googling.)

I am Error.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#248 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 10:56 PM
Did you move the tombstones? http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=511011

Also Free Time Aspiration Critical Fix http://www.simbology.com/smf/index....pic,6.0.html--- Although acording to that, that is not needed any longer and I do seem to recall that getting fixed.

Are you fully patched?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#249 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 6:51 AM
HoodChecker:

I've been getting inexplicable crashes for the last couple of weeks that have defied my attempts to troubleshoot them - they don't occur with any real pattern, they continued after I removed the cc added within the last month, and hoodchecker hasn't been showing anything new or unusual aside from some dormie's having keys to a lot that doesn't exist (from what I've read, that shouldn't be a real problem, it's just irritating). I had removed the dorm keys by a combo of SimPE and moving the dormies in - that got rid of the messages on hoodchecker but didn't stop the crashing, so I reverted back to the pre-dorm key removal version of my game. Then I thought the problem could be the university sub-hood, so tonight I played a different sub-hood - I was able to play about 4 hours before the game crashed, which is longer than I've been able to go recently, but normally I don't have crashes unless a lot is huge and has 30+ sims on it. I don't think it's the university.

Anyway, today I noticed that hoodchecker had fewer messages in it than it normally does when I check this neighbourhood - I usually have a bunch of notices about the Tricous, but now those are gone. What happened to the messages? I haven't resurrected anybody so I thought I should still have those messages, and hoodchecker wasn't able to clear them before. Only one of the Tricou teens has been made playable and that was long before the messages in hoodchecker disappeared. Could the disappearance of the Tricou memories be related to crashing, or should I be looking into something else?
Forum Resident
#250 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 6:58 AM
...Uhhh...

Is there any reason why the penguin just visited my Sims in the autumn? With no snow, and therefore no snowmen?

Should I be worried?

"God created dinosaurs. God destroyed dinosaurs. God created Man. Man destroyed God. Man created dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs eat man...Woman inherits the earth."

- Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park

My Simblr | Hadi Family Tree
Page 10 of 1347