Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#6251 Old 18th Jan 2023 at 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
So this is why I have several TB of sims files. I download something, I screenshot the images or instructions if needed, and save the URL in a text document. All that is stored in an archive under the name of the creator. To put it in-game, I extract the actual package file and put that in the downloads folder. My downloads folder is organised by four main folders- Build-buy-CAS-Hacks- and in those folders are subfolders for creator name. Except for hacks, which are not subfoldered, and I just add characters at the front of the filename to change load order.
So I have everything twice at least! If I remove something and want to add it back later, I can easily check for updates as I know the URL of the download, and although my archive folders have images and subfolders, my actual in-game downloads contain as few files as possible- definitely no text documents, zipped files or images.
Consequently, I seem to have the entire internet backed up, but unfortunately this collection spans several hard drives, several computers and a couple of decades. So it sometimes takes a while to find something, but it's always there and I find it eventually.
I wish I was a quarter as well organised as that. This is what my Sims Downloads folder looks like:
In addition to over 5,000 files spread over all those sub-folders, I've got over 1,900 files in the root Downloads folder. At the very beginning of my game, i put all my CC files there, and, even when I later started using sub-folders, I left most of my older clothes downloads there. As you can see I've never settled on a sensible way of arranging my CC subfolders. One good thing is that [almost] all the files there are .package files. I've never been in the habit of putting .zip, .txt or picture files there. I keep meaning to tidy things up, but have never got round to it. I'm also afraid that, if I start moving things round, I might break something. You know the old adage: "If it ain't broke, . . ."!

I've just installed Delphy's Download Organiser (which I downloaded over four years ago). As yet I can make very little of it. I suppose there are instructions for it somewhere!

Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
If I don't know what something is I just delete it
I'd be scared I was deleting somebody's favourite outfit!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the subject of placement of payphones and waste-bins, I know the payphone at Veronaville Market is placed well back from the road. I know it well because it's just across the road from my friend Andrew's house. I've never had any bother with car doors not opening. (My Sims almost always take a taxi. Nobody actually has a car.) But this discussion has got me thinking about a little glitch I had about a month ago.
When the school bus brought them home in the afternoon, the three teens staying in the hut at the time never got off the 'bus. It stood there for over an hour. In the end I Forced Error on the bus. It disappeared and the teens were left standing in front of the hut. One good thing (from their point of view) -- none of them had any homework. I didn't understand it at all at the time, but when I look now I can't help thinking that street-light might have something to do with it. "We couldn't get off the school bus because there was a lamp post in the way. That must be how we lost our homework." They had got on OK in the morning, but maybe the bus stopped in a slightly different place when it brought them back. It's only a 1x1 lot and there's not much room for the 'bus. In any case I think I'll move that street-lamp to the other side of the road. Usually Sims don't stay long enough in the hut to go to work or school. And I've never had any bother with them getting in and out of taxis.

[P.S.] I have no Idea why the last few lines of my file tree have come out in green. I think it must have something to do with the apostrophe.
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#6252 Old 18th Jan 2023 at 2:17 AM
If I don't know what something is I just delete it, or I have used Delphy's Download Organiser to match file names to items before.

My problem is, I don't delete anything - could be an outfit that was perfect for a sim I've never used but planned to use for something 9 years ago (and you'd bet I still have that sim stashed away somewhere, too! I kept myself busy extracting some sims I'd made for story purposes, and I actually found most of the CC I used for them, though a lot of it was in a folder I'd moved out from my regular game several years back because my downloads tipped past 35 GB, which was my rough "pink-flashy" limit where my game would much quicker go into "nope" mode. No wonder I had issues with a bunch of hairs disappearing that one time, cause that folder was a big mish-mash of all kinds of stuffeths - a lot of things I'd missed, too. So maybe it's a good idea to keep that thing sorted a bit better than just "random bunch of folders" )

I have gone through most of my old stuff. Lots of junk - I have moved out some, and probably will move out more.
Mad Poster
#6253 Old 18th Jan 2023 at 7:38 AM
I have one DL folder with 2.6GB and one with about 3GB. I guess I like to keep my game light! I don't like having too many options to scroll through, and mainly use default replacements.

If I can't find a fitting outfit for a sim, then I would go looking for more stuff. I can usually find what I want, though.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Theorist
#6254 Old 18th Jan 2023 at 9:48 AM
I have one DL folder with 2.6GB and one with about 3GB. I guess I like to keep my game light!

That's light?! And I'm always worried about adding anything else to my 3.5GB...

Isn't there a mod limit? I think I've heard something bad about too many Downloads.
Lab Assistant
#6255 Old 18th Jan 2023 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
That's light?! And I'm always worried about adding anything else to my 3.5GB...

Isn't there a mod limit? I think I've heard something bad about too many Downloads.

Well my folder is 14,5GB and growing. The only real issue, if you want to call it that, is that it takes a moment to load it all but the game itself is running fine.
Mad Poster
#6256 Old 18th Jan 2023 at 12:26 PM
I call anything below 5 GB light in my game... But I've been playing with a 30-35 GB folder for years, and the 5GB folder will load within 5 minutes, so that -is- light when the 30+ folder takes an hour+

(I had roughly 12 GB on my first laptop, and that took roughly 3 hours - kinda used to long loading times here)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6257 Old 18th Jan 2023 at 12:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I wish I was a quarter as well organised as that. This is what my Sims Downloads folder looks like...
In addition to over 5,000 files spread over all those sub-folders, I've got over 1,900 files in the root Downloads folder.

I'd be scared I was deleting somebody's favourite outfit!

Mine's like this:

The Maxis folder has store stuff and Castaway conversions, the zloadlast folder has files that may be overridden by files in more than one category. So they have to go in their own folder. I only do it this way because it suits how my brain works, and it's similar to how things are in the game- so if I'm looking to delete a fence, I know it's in Build.
Plus, I recently started again with my downloads, when I made my new hood! My last world, LacunaD, used around 9GB cc, but I have less than 3GB in this one. With LacunaD, I'd look in the game catalog and think- I may as well delete that, I've never used it! Then I'd delete it and run the game only to find something missing off a community lot, or someone's hat gone. Then I'd remember- oh yes, I was using it! And have to put it back. This time I'm starting small- no recolours of Maxis stuff, no custom clothes, few custom hairs- but I'm allowed to go wild on the accessories!

My archived downloads are nowhere near as organised though, it's all there but tough to find as I have it over several discs. I used to have a file server but it died, so now I have to plug hard drives in or remember which machine things are on to find them. I should build another server and consolidate everything- easier to backup too- but too lazy! Gone are the days when fiddling with computers was fun. Worked in tech support for too long!

About the small lot and the bus- yes, I think that's why Maxis didn't make tiny lots, because there were too many problems with vehicles turning up. Last week I had a delivery, exterminator, handyman, gardener, carpool and schoolbus turn up all at the same time. The sims could get on the bus and carpool okay, but the vehicles all just sat there. The delivery guy was standing in the road, he'd dropped the shopping basket on the tarmac and froze because he couldn't route to his van. The gardener didn't get out. The exterminator killed the bugs and stood in the road waiting for traffic to clear because she couldn't get to her van either. Eventually the carpool poofed out of existence and so did the bus, and then all of the stuck service sims were okay. But the maid didn't arrive until the delivery and exterminator vans left- she stayed off-lot so turned up late. And the grocery basket had vanished, goodness knows where that went! This was a 40X40 lot. So I can forsee homework vanishing when sims have trouble getting off the bus. Moving the streetlight should help, but maybe move the bin and mailbox behind the pavement too?
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#6258 Old 18th Jan 2023 at 5:30 PM
Currently my downloads folder is just over 7 GB. I do want to keep it from getting to big, for loading time reasons. A previous computer I had would take over half an hour, for the same amount! This computer now loads that 7+ GB in just 5 minutes or less, which i'm more than happy with.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#6259 Old 18th Jan 2023 at 10:14 PM
I'm annoyed that I have to get out and buy more external storage to clean out my hard drive enough to load my game.
Field Researcher
#6260 Old 19th Jan 2023 at 5:16 AM Last edited by kiddypatches : 19th Jan 2023 at 5:34 PM.
Probably a mod conflict or custom food problem because I have SO MUCH custom food and drinks, but...I HATE it when I hire a butler, and they refuse to actually cook, just make a group meal of drinks by pulling it out of the fridge. Oh, half the family is starving? I know! I'll serve a group serving of SPRITE, then sit on my butt and crack one open for myself! Huh? Food? What is food?

I feel like crying tears of joy when my butler manages to actually make food and not pull out a group meal of drinks.

(Also, man, my CC folder is 20GB and growing. Takes me like 45 minutes to start playing! 25 or 30 minutes for the "The Sims 2" loading screen to finish loading, then another 10 or 15 for the "The _____ Family" to finish loading. After those two screens, my game runs fine, but geez it takes just as long to run it as Sims 3's loading screen. But I refuse to part with any of my Downloads. )
Lab Assistant
#6261 Old 19th Jan 2023 at 7:24 AM
This... door. Just this door.

I never noticed until now, but for some reason sims will only use the right (left?) part of the door, and completely ignore the other one. Makes it even worse when it happens in a dorm with eight playable sims...

Could be a Maxis bug, could be one of my mods. I'll need to test the other double doors to make sure.
Screenshots

(Sorry for my bad grammar; English isn't my first language.)
Forum Resident
#6262 Old 19th Jan 2023 at 8:35 AM
My folder is at 18 gb, although it is true that I have to clean it... I guess my limit will be 25, I'm still testing the limits of my laptop. At the moment it takes about 4 or 5 minutes to load the game. With chrome and youtube open. Without cc it takes a few seconds.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6263 Old 19th Jan 2023 at 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KaruraWasabi

I think they are all the same- for routing the sims treat it just like two single doors put together. Only, a double door is like one door facing out, another facing in. So because door direction seems to be taken into account, the sims always seem to prefer one side of the door. Silly Maxis.
Inventor
#6264 Old 19th Jan 2023 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiddypatches
Probably a mod conflict or custom food problem because I have SO MUCH custom food and drinks, but...I HATE it when I hire a butler, and they refuse to actually cook, just make a group meal of drinks by pulling it out of the fridge. Oh, half the family is starving? I know! I'll serve a group serving of a CUSTOM DRINK, then sit on my butt and crack one open for myself! Huh? Food? What is food?

You might try Cyjon's Better Butler Meals to see if that fixes your issue. Even with it, I have found that if the food level is low the butler might opt for something like drinks, because it's the only group meal the fridge can "afford" in food points. Also, don't forget to tip your butlers to keep them happy and working hard.
Top Secret Researcher
#6265 Old 19th Jan 2023 at 5:37 PM

I never noticed until now, but for some reason sims will only use the right (left?) part of the door, and completely ignore the other one. Makes it even worse when it happens in a dorm with eight playable sims...

Could be a Maxis bug, could be one of my mods. I'll need to test the other double doors to make sure.

Look at each side. One side the bar that goes across it is on one side while on the other, it's on the opposite side. One for going in and one for going out. Each side of the door can only open in one direction. It's how such doors are made.

My Simblr
He/They
Lab Assistant
#6266 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 10:12 AM
@simsample @wickedjr89 Thank you for the insight! Though I've noticed the Matte & Glass Front Door doesn't have quite the same problem--sims can enter and leave through either side of the door, and if I command multiple sims to go through the door at the same time, they *can* use both sides.
Screenshots

(Sorry for my bad grammar; English isn't my first language.)
Top Secret Researcher
#6267 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 4:51 PM
@simsample @wickedjr89 Thank you for the insight! Though I've noticed the Matte & Glass Front Door doesn't have quite the same problem--sims can enter and leave through either side of the door, and if I command multiple sims to go through the door at the same time, they *can* use both sides.

I don't see any bars on those doors. I mean the bars that go across, from left to right. I see the doors with the bars across them in real life all the time and each side only opens in one direction. Each side in the opposite way from the other. Those doors don't have those bars so they don't have that problem.

My Simblr
He/They
Top Secret Researcher
#6268 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 4:53 PM

I apologize for the double posting. I circled the bars I mean in paint.

Edit: And you can see on the door with bars, on one side the bar is inside the place and on the other side the bar is outside the place.
Screenshots

My Simblr
He/They
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6269 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
Edit: And you can see on the door with bars, on one side the bar is inside the place and on the other side the bar is outside the place.

Do you mean that each door has bars on different sides? Because in my game they seem to be on the same side:

Silly sims!

Though I've noticed the Matte & Glass Front Door doesn't have quite the same problem--sims can enter and leave through either side of the door, and if I command multiple sims to go through the door at the same time, they *can* use both sides.

Interesting, I have this door in one of my sims' houses, I'll be sure to pay attention next time I play it.
Screenshots
Instructor
#6270 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 5:05 PM
And you can see on the door with bars, on one side the bar is inside the place and on the other side the bar is outside the place.

To me it looks like, once both sides of the door are closed, both bars would be on the inside of the place.
Edit: Whoops, it seems I got ninja'd by simsample.
Top Secret Researcher
#6271 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 5:24 PM
Do you mean that each door has bars on different sides? Because in my game they seem to be on the same side:

Silly sims!

Interesting, I have this door in one of my sims' houses, I'll be sure to pay attention next time I play it.

I circled the bars I mean. On the door in your picture they ARE on the same side. In the picture where I circled the bars, they are not. It's only certain doors and so far the only one i've seen like that here, is the one where I circled the bars.

Edit: I see the kind of doors I mean in real life and they will not open if you try to open a side the wrong way. It won't budge. I'm beginning to think only my area has these kind of doors.

My Simblr
He/They
Top Secret Researcher
#6272 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 5:35 PM Last edited by wickedjr89 : 20th Jan 2023 at 5:57 PM.
Sorry for double posting again. I asked a friend who told me those kind of doors are being replaced and are dying out. I had no idea because I don't get out much and she said people might be too young to remember them.

Edit: Apparently they started slowly being replaced when the ADA passed, in the early 90s. I should be too young to remember them (born in 89) but accessibility takes forever. They aren't very accessible doors to disabled people (like in wheelchairs) so they started to be replaced then but some places still have them because they don't care to change them until they have no choice.

Edit 2: The ADA is the Americans with Disabilities Act

Edit 3: I am sorry if I seem frustrated or anything (I know text over the computer doesn't always come across right) and now that I know those doors started to be replaced due to lack of accessibility for disabled people back in the early 90s I am glad there are people who don't know of them. It means accessible doors are there instead and the places who still have those inaccessible doors really need to get with the times.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#6273 Old 21st Jan 2023 at 2:35 AM
no custom clothes
I think there'd be a riot in Veronaville, if I even suggested doing that. The thing is Maxis never made the sort of clothes my gay boys like to wear. People like Knightskykyte, Cloudnine and noogie 666 made them. I couldn't possibly ask my boys to wear Maxis "passion-killer" underwear.
few custom hairs
I feel I need a lot of custom hair to tell my Sims apart. I mean I like Andrew's Maxis hair, and like my male Sims to have hair of about that length and style, but if I gave all my male Sims the same hair as Andrew, I'd be struggling to tell them apart -- especially when they take their clothes off. So I have a lot of custom male hair of approximately that length and style, to try to make them all look at least a little bit different. Actually I could really do with quite a lot more female hair.
So I can forsee homework vanishing when sims have trouble getting off the bus. Moving the streetlight should help, but maybe move the bin and mailbox behind the pavement too?
The lot in question is one of my "changing huts", which are basically places that offer CAS Sims a modicum of shelter and comfort while they are being turned into townies. This normally takes a few Sim hours, while I remove (or change) unwanted family relationships, change surnames, change Sim's ages (more often than not aging adults down to teens), and get new clothes for Sims, whose ages have changed. I also often adjust personality points, so I'm not limited to 25 points as I am in CAS. There are no beds in these huts, as Sims don't usually stay there overnight. More recently I've also been letting them begin to build friendships with other Sims, so they usually stay in the hut till there Welcome Wagon guests leave in the evening. On this occasion I had sent the teenage townies-to-be to a community lot with a CC vending machine, where they bought energy drinks, so they didn't need to sleep. So they were still in the hut eating breakfast when I got the message about the school 'bus being there in an hour. I thought, "Why not?", so I let them go. I was completely puzzled when they didn't get off the 'bus when it returned. I've never had any problems with Sims getting in and out of taxis, and I think I've very occasionally had an adult Sim go to work and return in the carpool, so I think that cars are OK too. So for the moment I think I'll leave the bin and mailbox alone. It's only a 1X1 lot so there aren't many sensible places I could move them too. The other side of the road is OK for the streetlamp, but it would be odd to put the mailbox there. Normally the only vehicle that needs to stop on their side of the road, is the taxi that brings them, and maybe takes them to and from a community lot.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6274 Old 21st Jan 2023 at 3:08 AM
I circled the bars I mean. On the door in your picture they ARE on the same side. In the picture where I circled the bars, they are not. It's only certain doors and so far the only one i've seen like that here, is the one where I circled the bars.

That image is of the same door as the image I posted though- there's a wood colour option. The bars on that door are on the side facing the viewer. The open door has the push plate side facing us and the bar visible through the glass. Or are you talking about real life doors here? Am confused!
Top Secret Researcher
#6275 Old 21st Jan 2023 at 4:21 AM
That image is of the same door as the image I posted though- there's a wood colour option. The bars on that door are on the side facing the viewer. The open door has the push plate side facing us and the bar visible through the glass. Or are you talking about real life doors here? Am confused!

Well now i'm confused. I was talking about real life doors but I could swear that bar is on the opposite side, and if it was (I don't think it is now) that would explain why each side only opens one way, just like real life doors (that are largely going extinct because they are inaccessible to people in wheelchairs/using walkers/people pushing toddlers in a stroller - and have been being phased out since the early 90s now but annoyingly still exist in some places). But ... I was thinking they were different doors. I didn't see the rectangle thing above both sides in the picture KaruraWasabi posted so I thought they were very similar but different but now I see the other rectangle thing and ... I think you're right. They are the same. Well, the doors i'm talking about in real life exist but I thought that door looked like them but looking at it now, I don't think it does. I'm sorry, lol. Laughing at myself.

Edit: Please forgive me. I think I need my eyes checked.

My Simblr
He/They
Page 251 of 274