Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6276 Old 21st Jan 2023 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
Edit: Please forgive me. I think I need my eyes checked.

Me too! My brain was hurting! No problem, fun conversation. I think real life doors may be better designed that sims doors!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#6277 Old 21st Jan 2023 at 5:05 PM
To be honest, I've always hated the Maxis doors because they're so problematic. What I do in some cases is put two single doors in to keep the door jams to a minimum-especially on community lots.
Sometimes it even works.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#6278 Old 21st Jan 2023 at 9:59 PM
I always assumed those bars were these - they are common on fire escapes. To unlock the door quickly, you just push the bar. That activates some kind of latch that unlocks the vertical bar from a hole at the top (and/or) bottom of the door frame. Sometimes they are alarmed, to dissuade people from opening them to let their friends inside (e.g. for a bar where you are supposed to pay or prove your age).

You can't open them from the outside, but you can open them from the inside. They are meant to help avoid situations where a venue may be dark or confusing and impede exit in an emergency.

Do you mean that the bar across was an old fashioned style of handle? That does seem difficult for somebody in a wheelchair.
Screenshots

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6279 Old 21st Jan 2023 at 10:59 PM
I imagined they were meant to be these:

Where the bar is fixed, sort of like this:

But th sims never have to push or pull the doors anyway, they open by magic!
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#6280 Old 22nd Jan 2023 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I always assumed those bars were these - they are common on fire escapes. To unlock the door quickly, you just push the bar. That activates some kind of latch that unlocks the vertical bar from a hole at the top (and/or) bottom of the door frame. Sometimes they are alarmed, to dissuade people from opening them to let their friends inside (e.g. for a bar where you are supposed to pay or prove your age).

You can't open them from the outside, but you can open them from the inside. They are meant to help avoid situations where a venue may be dark or confusing and impede exit in an emergency.

Do you mean that the bar across was an old fashioned style of handle? That does seem difficult for somebody in a wheelchair.

No, that's not what I mean. There are some doors that each side only opens in one direction but one will open out and one will open in, and you'll have to push or pull accordingly to get it to open.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#6281 Old 22nd Jan 2023 at 7:32 AM
That does look similar Simsample! I've never seen that style of door before, at least not commonly. Perhaps they are not usually found in Europe. And, it's interesting that you would assume the protruding rectangle was a push plate. To me, the fact it's protruding would indicate that you need to pull. Here, a door which requires pushing often has a flat plate like this:
Screenshots

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6282 Old 22nd Jan 2023 at 11:20 AM
Yes I think you're right about the pull handle @simsfreq , although I remember our local Debenhams (England) having doors like the first ones I pictured, but you could open the doors either way. Haven't seen any like that for a while though.
Field Researcher
#6283 Old 22nd Jan 2023 at 5:48 PM
Over time I realize that some things I found a bit uncanny in the Sims 2 are just normal in the US. Like these doors you showed @simsample, they dont look familiar at all. Same with the doors in game having round door knobs instead of lever handles. Knobs look very old-fashioned to me, having lived in France most of my life and now in Germany. I've seen them mostly in old houses that were not renovated (often made of porcelain) and I find them very awkward to turn
Top Secret Researcher
#6284 Old 24th Jan 2023 at 10:02 PM
Sometimes my game will take ten minutes to load and sometimes it'll take an HOUR and there's really no telling beforehand what it's going to do. Sometimes I'll start it up thinking I have time to play three families and then I barely manage to get through one. >>>>

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Instructor
#6285 Old 24th Jan 2023 at 10:30 PM
Monsieur Oshima, I sometimes watch a youtube clip with interiors of an American house or a streetview from a suburb or something and think: "Oh! And I thought that was a sim thing!"
Alchemist
#6286 Old 24th Jan 2023 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
So for the moment I think I'll leave the bin and mailbox alone. It's only a 1X1 lot so there aren't many sensible places I could move them too. The other side of the road is OK for the streetlamp, but it would be odd to put the mailbox there.

@AndrewGloria this is way late but, just fyi, you don't have to place the mailbox or trashcan next to the road. I mean, the mailbox will need to be accessible by the Mail Carrier, and sims living on the lot need access to the trash can, but other than that, you can pretty much place it anywhere. On some lots I put the trash can by the back door, for instance, and move the mailbox to the porch where I make it invisible and put a deco letterbox on top of it.

Anyway, on that particular lot, just move both of them one tile back so they don't block sims trying to get in and out of cars, etc.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#6287 Old 24th Jan 2023 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StrangeTownChick
Sometimes my game will take ten minutes to load and sometimes it'll take an HOUR and there's really no telling beforehand what it's going to do. Sometimes I'll start it up thinking I have time to play three families and then I barely manage to get through one. >>>>

I've found that if i don't let the game close normally (as in on it's own) then the next time it starts up, it will take longer. I assume to do housekeeping from the abnormal stoppage. But if I let it run until it closes normally, then it is quicker to start the next time.

Now before you say, "But I always let the game end normally so that doesn't apply to me", be aware that even if the game has closed out the screen and it appears to be finished, it may not actually be done. I always check Task Manager to see if the Sims2EPx.exe has ended because sometimes, the exe will still be running even after the screen has cleared. Only after the exe has ended, which sometimes might take an additional 5 minutes, will I shut down my computer.

I don't know if that's what might cause your sporadic start times, but it would be something to check.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#6288 Old 25th Jan 2023 at 12:45 AM
^ If you shut down your computer between each round of playing, the game usually takes a bit longer to start up. Same with Bodyshop, SimPE, or any other program. If the program generally loads fast, you don't always notice it's a bit slower, though.

It's especially noticable for Bodyshop - it tends to load very slow the first time after a startup, but if you close it down and start it back up again, it loads a whole lot quicker, even if you have a lot of CC.

I have noticed my game also starts up faster while I'm on the same run, usually when I have a lower CC load. (If I have a higher CC load I generally like to restart the computer, because in those cases the reason for restarting my game would usually be a crash or pink-flashing, which often is caused by memory overload, best fixed by emptying any working memory and whatever else the computer has going on with a restart, at least if the game has been running for a while and the problem is big enough. Just restarting the game isn't always enough).
Top Secret Researcher
#6289 Old 25th Jan 2023 at 2:51 AM
See, I rarely turn off my computer at all, but that's been over a decade now and the problems only started recently. Honestly every device has been acting up lately so who even knows anymore. I certainly didn't download anything fishy but who can say with my grandma in the house.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Mad Poster
#6290 Old 25th Jan 2023 at 3:02 PM
It's annoying that if you make your sim call in sick and they are not actually sick, the boss says "Keep your vacation time, just get better!" and there is no penalty for missing work.

But if they are actually sick, it says something like "Thanks for letting me know, I'll subtract a vacation day from you". Huh?? Surely it should be the other way around!

Anyway, this reminded me that I had this exact discussion some years ago with BoilingOil on Simbology, and I was sure I remembered a mod that let you choose, but I couldn't find it on his site. I found WHoward's Duvet Days, though. That lets you choose vacation day or unpaid time off, but the description doesn't seem to mention whether it changes the code called if a sim is actually sick.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6291 Old 25th Jan 2023 at 3:18 PM
It's annoying that if you make your sim call in sick and they are not actually sick, the boss says "Keep your vacation time, just get better!" and there is no penalty for missing work.

But if they are actually sick, it says something like "Thanks for letting me know, I'll subtract a vacation day from you". Huh?? Surely it should be the other way around!

I noticed that too!
Mad Poster
#6292 Old 25th Jan 2023 at 9:44 PM

I remember a few years ago marka93 saying the same. I thought he must have got it the wrong way round, and posted to say so. No, he assured me, it was indeed the way he had said: if you just fancied a day off and called in sick, the boss believed you and gave you the day off on full pay; if on the other hand, you're barely able to get out of bed to get to the 'phone, the boss doesn't believe you, and you lose a vacation day.

I wonder whether this is just a mistake by Maxis, or whether somebody there put this in because they thought it was funny. Remember that The Sims 2 was programmed by people who in the final analysis were EA employees. Maybe it just reflects their experience of what EA is like as an employer!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6293 Old 25th Jan 2023 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Maybe it just reflects their experience of what EA is like as an employer!

That could be it!
Mad Poster
#6294 Old 26th Jan 2023 at 11:49 AM
LOL I had never thought of that, but maybe it is! I did wonder if it was based on American norms instead of British/European norms? It's not normal to get paid for sick days in the US perhaps?

It always seemed like a mistake to me, if I have vacation time then I just don't bother to call in sick. I found WHoward's old thread from when he must have been creating the mod and Chris Hatch replied to say if you're really sick, you don't need to phone in as the game will automatically not expect you at work. I don't know if this is what happens or not, but I know that you lose a vacation day even if sick, and I'm pretty sure you get the "the higher ups won't be impressed..." message if you miss a day while sick and don't phone in. If you phone in but have no vacation days, you obviously don't lose any, I can't remember if you get paid.

Mad Poster
#6295 Old 26th Jan 2023 at 12:30 PM
There is a good point for not using those vacation days-there is now a hack that allows you to cash them all out at once, and it comes in handy as extra cash for the household.

Just like I did when I retired-I had a lot of PTO saved up and my company paid it all in one check-a nice thank you from them as I didn't have the benefit of a 401K all of the time I worked there.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Inventor
#6296 Old 28th Jan 2023 at 12:32 AM
The gender toilets. I don't get why single occupancy toilets have to be gendered. We don't usually have 2 at home. While doing the business, I want privacy equally regardless of the other gender. In the game, I tend to forget which gender I am at the moment. (Lol.) And the symbol for male has the triangle that looks like a woman's skirt found inside the other symbol.

They doors cause a hurdle obstacle while modding, when I need to search for a bathroom, or deal with NPCs passing the wrong gender door.
Mad Poster
#6297 Old 28th Jan 2023 at 3:14 AM
The privacy requirement made using washrooms a nightmare when my sims were out at a community lot and even at home with only one washroom.I hacked it out so there's no washroom privacy and naked amitters are hacked out in my game so nobody reacts to a sim tkaing a bath out in the open on their lot.Haing a nakid reaction was once one of my biggest peeves and would've been in my pleasantview as that reaction would be out of place in the 17th century.
Alchemist
#6298 Old 28th Jan 2023 at 5:38 PM Last edited by Phantomknight : 28th Jan 2023 at 5:49 PM.
For the calling in sick thing--I always assumed it's random. Sometimes when my sim is sick the boss believes them and they get the day, but sometimes not. And yeah, if you have a vacation day, you don't need to call, you can just stay home and the game will deduct a day. I don't think the game has a separate sick day and vacation day bank--they're the same. (And yes, this can be a common thing in the US; it's quite annoying as we get little time off as it is. When your employer pools them, you end up getting less time off than you would have if they were separate and have to kinda hoard your days in case you're sick, or a family member is sick.)

As for the gendered toilets, I'm not understanding this at all. @jonasn the toilets themselves aren't gendered. Are you using them with the gendered floor tile or door? Because you don't need to do either of those things--if you use a regular door or tile, any sim can use the bathroom. I sometimes do this on my community lots and in dorms and have no issues. Sims can wash their hands while someone else is in the stall and there's no privacy complaint. I mean, it's possible I have a mod that I don't realize affecting this issue, but I really don't think so.

ETA: jonasn, I read over your post again, and I don't think it's a gender thing you are experiencing--it's a privacy thing. With single-use toilets, and showers/tubs sims will shoo any sim trying to use the bathroom while they are using it. To get around that, yeah, you can use the toilet stall and community shower or you can install a no privacy mod. There are several of those around.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Inventor
#6299 Old 29th Jan 2023 at 12:32 AM Last edited by jonasn : 29th Jan 2023 at 12:55 AM.
I know I can put down a normal door instead, and I try to fit regular toilets instead of stalls if I can make the space. But until I get around to rebuilding a community lot, my sims have to deal with what is there already. I want my rooms to look decent, instead of simply having the doors swapped, but still having 2 blocks of stalls that are now the same.

On community lots where there is eating, NPCs have no problems passing the wrong door to get to the closest sink to wash dishes on a regular basis. And the people inside aren't freaked out by them. This is another task for building, to fit a sink or a dishwasher near the bar.

I searched the web on this topic and apparently gendered bathrooms in real life have been a topic of dicussion too. Apparently they are more common in America. I've seen single toilets for everyone in smaller facilities, like a doctor's office.
Mad Poster
#6300 Old 29th Jan 2023 at 2:57 PM
There is a recolour for the basic interior door that has a unisex/gender neutral symbol on the toilet door. You could just use these and give your sims gender free facilities.

I tend to try and place two different-gender toilets in for the sake of reflecting realism, but if the lot is too small then I just place one room with cubicles and a non-gender-specific door, they use it just fine.

The tile doesn't have any effect, it's just visual, to help you see from above which room is which. Sometimes I use pink/blue tile on the floor to help me see without having to zoom in and scrutinise the symbol on the door.

Page 252 of 275