Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2022 at 2:19 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Double Delux crashing on startup(windows 11).
Just installed Sims 2 Double Deluxe on my new computer(5600g, 6600 XT, Windows 11), and it crashes upon startup. Click the Sims 2 Double Deluxe icon, Sims 2 launcher with the play button loads fine, but when click play to launch the game, it searches for the disk, then the screen goes black for a second than back to the desktop in a really low resolution(which I figured out to be 800x600), can't click on anything, but am able to windows + tab to task manager to where Sims 2 process is not responding and so I end it's process which reverts the desktop resolution back to normal. I installed the 4gig patch, used graphics rule maker to add graphics card, even tried running the game in compatibility for(tried XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 compatibility mode) and the game still stops responding/crashes. Game worked perfected on my old computer(i5 4440, 750ti, Windows 10).
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Jun 2022 at 4:12 PM
The launcher could be part of the problem. Have you tried making a shortcut directly to the game EXE file, bypassing the launcher?

Try without compatibility mode, because it clashes with the 4GB patch.

Which settings did you use in the GRM? Can you take a screen capture, or list them?

Do you have other EPs installed? You'll need to use the highest EP you have by EP number (or M&G if you've got that one) to start your game with. Double Deluxe has NL as the highest EP (EP2, plus SP4 or some such) so it's quite low.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jun 2022 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The launcher could be part of the problem. Have you tried making a shortcut directly to the game EXE file, bypassing the launcher?

Try without compatibility mode, because it clashes with the 4GB patch.

Which settings did you use in the GRM? Can you take a screen capture, or list them?

Do you have other EPs installed? You'll need to use the highest EP you have by EP number (or M&G if you've got that one) to start your game with. Double Deluxe has NL as the highest EP (EP2, plus SP4 or some such) so it's quite low.

All's I have installed is double deluxe(no mods), didn't want to install my other expansion packs(university, open for business and Apartment life) till I got the base game working. Just noticed if I let the game sit a couple of minuets, it eventually loads and works normally except for a few graphics issues. By graphics issues, I mean black squares under sims(easily fixed mod and shadows set to medium), glitchy graphics(seems to be solved after enabling smooth edges) and jittery camera movement(image pauses and jumps, more noticeable when moving camera with mouse than arrow keys). I minimized the game and used task manager to set the process affinity to one core, which helped jittery camera a little, but is still a problem which is annoying.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Jun 2022 at 2:41 AM
You might as well install the rest of the EPs if you plan on doing it, because you'll probably end up having to fix things afterward anyway. If you're working with CDs you also need to patch the games, so remember that.

For the GRM, make sure you have the newest version (after April 2020). If you tick "Disable sim shadows" in GRM you don't get the black squares under sims. Not sure if non-Nvidia cards have issues with pink-flashing, but if they do, tick the box I've marked in the picture below (the old GRM removed a line from the GR file, this box adds it back).

The graphic issues could be a DirectX problem. I gave up running my game in full screen (and prefer windowed anyway) - windowed mode solved pretty much everything GRM didn't, so if you're still having issues, that could be worth a try. I also run my game in a lower resolution than the highest available on my laptop. I have about the same for the laptop so they match (if you run fullscreen, you'll probably want the resolution to be about the same for both, or you'll see the flickering when the game starts and shuts down).
Screenshots