Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2022 at 1:39 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can the Game crash DURING saving?
I had it now the second time that my Game crashed when I was saving.. it crashed when the thing popped up but befor it altered any files... I looked at the date and it didn't matched up luckely... But do I have to be afraid that it can crash also when it started to alter files? That would corrupt everything or? Or can't that happen? (I mean of course except when the energy turns off)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 14th Jul 2022 at 5:36 PM
Yes, unfortunately that can happen.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th Jul 2022 at 5:53 PM
Yes. It can, and if a save is imperfect it can corrupt the game or create bizarre unintended consequences without actually corrupting. This is one reason to make regular backups.

The longer a save takes the more chances it has to crash, so more frequent backups during play (I know, a bit of a pain to remember to do) are a good precaution. At minimum you should make a point of saving shortly after important events like weddings, and immediately before events which you might want to redo if the result is unsatisfactory, such as when trying for a specific sex for a baby.

Also imperfect saves without actual crashing can occur when using the "save and exit" option instead of saving, then exiting/quitting, so if your sim is about to leave for a community lot, you change households, or you're reading to quit the game, hit save before choosing the leave/exit/quit options and you will reduce the danger greatly. Before I started doing this, I had a sim bring a date home and culminate in woohoo, then the game failed to save properly when I moved on to the next lot. The next time I tried to date that couple, the game thought it was still running the original date with a second date running simultaneously, generated a second copy of the dated sim, and everything blew up into a caught-cheating-with-self fiasco. I could get out of it by quitting without saving, but that left me right back where I started. I didn't solve this until I sent the sim with the problem to a community lot by herself, when the original date resumed and could be finished out properly and the conclusion saved. This is an unusual result - I've had dates crash while changing lots since without replicating the problem - but is a good example of the kind of unpredictable mess that is possible without good game hygiene.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Jul 2022 at 8:56 PM
Ouh that sucks... Thanks for telling... need to remember to do more back ups.. do them maybe twice a month but I play everyday so there is a huge gap.. I never use the save when exit or to hood cause it always looked unsave for me XD I had crashes when closing it so no... Is with Game Hygiene meant like cleaning out the download folder?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Jul 2022 at 9:15 PM
No, just things like regular backups, running Hood Checker periodically, installing the corruption-blocking mods like NoUnlinkOnDelete, not futzing around with cheats or mods until you understand them and any risks involved, avoiding the handful of Very Bad Things To Do that have been established for years, stuff like that.

And, or course, practice good computer hygiene to prevent overheating and other hardware problems impacting your game and any other programs you have on that computer. Your exact routine will vary depending on your set up, your computer, your OS, and so on.

Don't stress too much. The point here is to have fun, not to stress over corruption. You can't play soccer with a clean ball, and you can't run a program daily without getting some wear and tear creating weirdness.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 12:13 AM
Yes it can, which is why you want to save often and make backups and also run Hood checker regularly.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 3:17 AM
I oten back up my game folder because it happened a few times on my old computer while heading out to a community lot back then and I couldn't load that household anymore.I've not had that happen at all recently though I've been very careful with backing things up and even with saving my game progress.I've also installed Mod to blick any corruption and also installed others to stop annoying issues as well as to stop social workers form taking children away.Some things can happen that are game-breaking like fights breaking out on cmmunity lots too early in the town's life or children being taken away and that couple no longer being able to even have any more children.Another one of those kinds of issues is when fighting breaks out in an apartment lot which is why I banned NPC neighbors with a Mod.None of those game-breakser acutally caise a crash though it does ruin the playability of the town afterwards.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 6:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
Some things can happen that are game-breaking like fights breaking out on cmmunity lots too early in the town's life

Wait thats a thing?

I'm bad with hygiene with those kind of stuff but I will at least try to make more back ups... Thanks
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 8:50 AM
That may break TadOlsen's playstyle, or plans, but it won't harm the game data.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 4:46 PM
I just advise Modding things out for startint a brand new town as these things were bugs EA introduced in later packs and with UC I've been forced to Mod them out using things like the lot visitor comtroller to limit community lot visits and to use so many other Mods so I can just control how many visitos are showing up ay each community lot so it's much more realistic like having sims almost never showing up at corner shops while they might sometimes show up at community centers or parks.
Space Pony
#11 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 5:17 AM
Unfortunately, the game CAN crash when saving. As others have said, make frequent backups and save often. Also, keep HoodChecker handy to clear out (at least somewhat) any corruption that may result from the crashing.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 8:24 PM
I've had the game crash on saving in lot transiition or when exiting a lot because my computer was trying to run way too much at once as I wasn't using any utilities to stop background tasks from starting up automatically and that hasn't happened to me in so many years ever since I forst began using those programs to manage that kind of thing and It's highly unlikely now as I use a lot of managers to stop that from happening by not lettin thing go wild anymore.