Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 5:11 AM Last edited by Airazor65 : 1st Aug 2022 at 5:48 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Oh No, It's Worse Than Before - Two Hours To Load And It Crashes On The Hack List Screen
So yeah, I'm slowly trying to piece back together the Sims 2 and... oh no. Where do I begin? So, okay, I had some minor crashing issues because I had some hacks the game didn't like. Okay, so I fixed that, and loaded up the game. Okay, so it took and hour and a half to load, but hey, it worked. So I make myself a new neighborhood. It takes FOREVER to finish creating itself. It was an uberhood, with all the subhoods. But they were clean. So I decorate the main hood a bit, and then I go ahead and click on the family tab. I wait, and wait, and then get an crash message. You know, "The application has crashed, It will now terminate" or whatever. And I was like: ".... Uhh? I'll do something else I guess?" So I deleted the cache files and checked the crash log. No memory issues. I load it up again, and make a new neighborhood instead. Well, while it was adding stealthhoods, It CRASHED. So I was like: "Guess I'll delete the new neighborhood, since it probably got corrupted". I tossed it in the recycle bin, and decided, "I think I'll just go to bodyshop." Well.... bodyshop loads, and crashes. But! It doesn't say anything, it just CLOSES. And so I try the main game again, and it does just what bodyshop did.

Now, mind you, this is a very miniscule summary, but I hope I gave you a general idea of what's going on. Something is wrong here, and I don't know what. I removed my hacks, and it hangs. I remove my default replacements, and it hangs. And if it does load, which it takes TWO WHOLE HOURS to do, it just closes at the hack list screen. This is terrible! This is the worst it's been since that time years ago I was dumb enough to add the Grim Reaper to a household (which I haven't done since, mind you). So any ideas folks? I know, I know, the 50/50 method. But how am I supposed to do that when it takes TWO HOURS to load? I'm at a loss here. Any pointers would be appreciated. And I'd like to add that my latest exception log was BLANK. Yep. And it came with a 60 kb mdmp file that I can't open to read. It's only good for sending to Microsoft. I am not asking them for help, that's for sure.

Edit: The game now loads, it's just slow... except it gets stuck loading create a family.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 10:09 AM
Remove your downloads folder - first, get the game working. (Keep the downloads folder somewhere on your pc until later).
Get the (vanilla) game working on your pc first.
It will be helpful to know what you use : Win 10? Graphics card? UC or disks?
And also what you have done - because you may need to do it all again.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 12:17 PM
Reinstalling is never a good first choice. Many a time registry entries are not cleaned up properly making it very difficult to fix and get the game installed again. Reinstalling should only be your last resort.

Delete the cache files again. Since you've added and deleted CC, they are probably invalid.

Your computer specs are definitely needed as well. With minimal CC, the game shouldn't take hours to load.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#5 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 5:14 PM
Did your game work fine before you added the latest hacks/CC?

Have you recently installed the game, do you have a new computer, new setup, new Windows version, or anything like that?

Which game version do you have? (single CDs, UC, Mac super collection, mix of single and collection CDs...etc.)

Has it always loaded a bit slow, or is this a recent thing?

How much CC/mods do you have? (amount in MB/GB would be helpful - in most cases if you have a fairly decent computer setup, it compares somewhat to the loading time).

Did you add some new CC, too, not just mods? Some CC items can also cause crashing, which could explain Bodyshop crashing. Trying without all your downloads would probably be the best option (make sure to take a backup, though).

To check if it's corruption in the neighborhoods, you can try to rename the "The Sims 2" folder in Documents (just add something at the back), and run the game. This creates a new test folder while keeping the old one as a backup (you can rename it and go back to it later). Make a new neighborhood, test if this loads as slow as the old one and if you see the same bugs and crashing in this one.

Grim is one of the sims you shouldn't add to a family, so it's possible there's been corruption to one or more of the Objects.package files. Check if any of the "...\The Sims 2\(BG/EP/SP name)\TSData\Res\Objects\objects.package" files in the install location have recently been changed. This can be fixed without reinstalling, but depends a bit on which game version you have. You can check if other files have been recently changed, too.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 10:54 PM
Get your game running smoothly on vanilla first. Copy and paste your download folder to your desktop. Then go back in and delete it from the game.

What are your computer specs?

Do you have the 4 gb patch on and working? Can you drop in your config log file? The Sims 2>Logs>config-log file.

Are your graphic rules done and set up correctly?

Do you have an SSD? If not, think of trying to get one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Space Pony
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 1:48 AM
Alright people, so my specs are Windows 10 Home Edition (64-bit) with 12 GB of installed RAM on an AMD A10-7800 Radeon processor (4 core). My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (the computer was a gift, lol). I'll include my Sims 2 graphics rule from the program folders (that's the config I need, I hope?) I will say that I have the 4GB patch installed properly, so that's covered. Also, I have my graphic rules set up right, but there might some extra settings I wasn't paying attention to. We don't know. And for anyone worried, no, I didn't move the Grim Reaper in this time.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Graphics Rules.txt (34.3 KB, 2 downloads)
Description: I had to make a text file copy so I can upload it. But it's still an sgr file in the game files, so that's not causing anything.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 1:58 AM
I forgot to mention, the downloads folder is currently 33.5 GB. This is going to sound awful, but it was bigger before. I'm slowly adding things back and subtracting some. I've been compressing packages (not mods if I can help it, because that might not end well) and merging recolors. It used to take maybe an hour to start up the game with 40 GB of CC, and then 20 minutes to load up a household. There were already problems with portals and stuff to begin with (I think now that that was caused by mods), but other than that, it was okay. But then I heard I had to reinstall the game if I wanted to play Stories. Aaand it's been downhill since then, kind of. I mean, it was working to a degree, like I stated before, and now the game literally just closes itself.

I'll scoot out the cc first, because, like Pooklet once said, "It was a chair". Which is funny, considering that some of the Sims 2 Store furniture can crash the game. One was a chair. It worked back when I had the Store Edition, but it doesn't anymore because I don't have the Store Edition anymore. I think I'll scoot out the Neighborhoods too. I've been itching to try out the new cleaned-up clean templates that have been popping up lately anyway.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 2:28 AM
Mate, 33 gigs? You are so lucky that your game is not a flashing pink mess. If I go up to 14 gigs the pink starts winking at me. Back when I had a regular drive and a window 7 pc I had 20 gigs and it took an hour to load so 2 hours while slow sounds about par for the course.

What you can do is make separate sims 2 folders, each with their own Download folder and use about half or 15 gigs in each. I have a game set up with modern beach, one set up as medieval, another set as pioneer 1800's and another that is more MM only.
So instead of all in one split up your hoods and downloads.

You didn't drop in your config-log.

All you have to do to make yourself another sims 2 folder is right click sims 2 and select rename and add a word onto the end. Load the game and there you go a nice vanilla sims 2 folder. Then you just rename the one you want to play/don't want to play. The game loads the correctly labeled sims 2 folder.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 3:03 AM
My old computer would easily use an hour to load up 30+ GB of CC just to get to the neighborhood screen, and then another 10-20 minutes (or more) for the lot, depending on size and individual CC load, so not too surprised. Bodyshop could spend 30 min to an hour on the full load (but these days I'll usually remove all non-CAS items and often stuff I'm not going to use anyway, so it loads faster - I've sorted my CC so CAS stuff is separate now, didn't use to have it like that before).

If it's been bumped up to 2 hours, that could be due to an issue with something you've downloaded recently that the game (and Bodyshop) doesn't like. Most likely it's a CC issue (with that amount, this is the most likely, especially when Bodyshop also reacts), but it could also be a neighborhood issue. Loading times above the usual for your computer (whether the "usual" is 5 minutes or an hour) can sometimes be a sign something is off. Usually is fixable, though.

If you know roughly what CC you've put into your game since about a week before the issue started, that's where you can start searching - try moving out those files first (mods and CC + delete cache files with each change), see if that does anything to your game. If there's no change, go ahead and do the 50/50 testing.

It's a good idea to do the CC testing in a test folder or in a copy of your old game, because if you accidentally save your game without the CC in, sims and houses will usually be saved with placeholder CAS items and furniture. If you remove certain types of mods, this can cause issues in your game.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 6:19 AM
Okay, so I removed (or rather renamed so the game couldn’t read them) the downloads AND Neighborhood folder. It still closed itself. So, I will tell you all now that there are some mods in the overrides folder ( YES, THAT overrides folder) that could be causing issues, but I also have stuff in the bins and skins folders. I was wondering if I had an custom NPC or multi-mod (plant or alien) and moved it from the downloads folder to the bins, would that p off the game? Because I thought it would be a good place to put them, especially Rebecca’s farm animals so I don’t accidentally delete them.

Also, I have been stocking up on Skell’s repository CC, and I was wondering if there could be mesh conflicts or something? Also, I recently added in a new CEP addon for the date reward roses. Though, I don’t think that’s it. I hope. It’s never acted like this before, because I usually get a crash message; but as I have said, this time it just closes itself.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 6:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Mate, 33 gigs? You are so lucky that your game is not a flashing pink mess. If I go up to 14 gigs the pink starts winking at me. Back when I had a regular drive and a window 7 pc I had 20 gigs and it took an hour to load so 2 hours while slow sounds about par for the course.

What you can do is make separate sims 2 folders, each with their own Download folder and use about half or 15 gigs in each. I have a game set up with modern beach, one set up as medieval, another set as pioneer 1800's and another that is more MM only.
So instead of all in one split up your hoods and downloads.

You didn't drop in your config-log.

All you have to do to make yourself another sims 2 folder is right click sims 2 and select rename and add a word onto the end. Load the game and there you go a nice vanilla sims 2 folder. Then you just rename the one you want to play/don't want to play. The game loads the correctly labeled sims 2 folder.

No pink or purple soup for me! Just blue flashing and artifacts from time to time. I think I got pink flashing only once. Aaaand which folder should I get the config from? Sorry, the ones in the documents config folder just includes cheats and stuff, lije userstartup.cheat or whatever and a few others.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 9:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Airazor65
No pink or purple soup for me! Just blue flashing and artifacts from time to time. I think I got pink flashing only once. Aaaand which folder should I get the config from? Sorry, the ones in the documents config folder just includes cheats and stuff, lije userstartup.cheat or whatever and a few others.

Documents> The Sims 2 (you may see it named that or something slightly different depending on disks/download type).Logs> config-log.txt (this is a file not a folder)

The cheat file should be in be in the Config folder not inside the Log folder. (don't mix up the config folder for the file called config-log)

I didn't say rename your download folder or hoods, i said rename the sims 2 folder to make a new folder.

If you want to test your downloads, make a new vanilla folder and then copy paste your download folder into it. Then half and test, half and test until you find the issue file/s. Yes this will take a while but it will load faster as you get closer to it. Every cc addict on here would have done at least one 50/50, some of us have done a few.
Then go back to your real folder and remove the bad cc file/s.

~Call me Jo~
Space Pony
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 2:25 PM Last edited by Airazor65 : 27th Jul 2022 at 2:47 PM.
Documents> The Sims 2 (you may see it named that or something slightly different depending on disks/download type).Logs> config-log.txt (this is a file not a folder)

The cheat file should be in be in the Config folder not inside the Log folder. (don't mix up the config folder for the file called config-log)

I didn't say rename your download folder or hoods, i said rename the sims 2 folder to make a new folder.

If you want to test your downloads, make a new vanilla folder and then copy paste your download folder into it. Then half and test, half and test until you find the issue file/s. Yes this will take a while but it will load faster as you get closer to it. Every cc addict on here would have done at least one 50/50, some of us have done a few.
Then go back to your real folder and remove the bad cc file/s.

Oh yeah! It’s in the logs folder!!! The config file, I mean. I don’t know why I forgot to look there... I’ll get it to you. *face-palm*
Space Pony
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 2:48 PM
Okay, so here is my config log. Yes, it says redacted on the Username. No, that's not the actual username.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DESKTOP-EKGTTHH-config-log.txt (10.6 KB, 4 downloads)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 10:58 PM
The 4 GB patch and the graphic rules appear to be working so that's good. To me it sounds like you are down to some CC causing issues. I would be moving onto a 50/50 search.

~Call me Jo~
Space Pony
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 12:10 AM
So good news, the game’s not broken as I’d originally feared, as I moved out all overrides, skins cc, bins cc, and the Sims 2 documents folder and the game loaded up alright.

The 4 GB patch and the graphic rules appear to be working so that's good. To me it sounds like you are down to some CC causing issues. I would be moving onto a 50/50 search.

Yeah, that’s the next step. I’ll get back to you on it, thanks!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 4:32 AM
Okay, so I’m slowly adding mods back. I hade to remove some of my neighborhoods, but they are backed up, so not gone forever. I have a few gigs of cc and mods back. So it took about an hour to load up after some fiddling around, and about 20 minutes to get into create a sim. I have a concern. Can you guess? This was the original load time with 20+ GB of custom content, which means that the game is slower now???