Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2022 at 1:11 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Spending Time in Community Lot = The Application Will Now Terminate
I've had two crashes today when out in community lots but I am not sure what's causing it. Different families, different hoods, the constant seems to be going out of the house. I remember this happening a while back, but I took a break from the game. I've returned to play just now and seemingly each time I go out, after a bit, someone or something causes the "The application will now terminate" crash.

My PC specs:
  • Windows 10
  • CPU: i7 12700KF 3.61GHz
  • GPU: Nvidia 3080 TI 12GB
  • Ram: 16GB

Needless to say, I don't think it's a problem with specs, though I've noticed the game running slow in certain lots. Either way, a problem for another time. I have two log files from the crashes today, the others are unfortunately in a different hard-drive I don't have access to but I'm certain I could replicate this crash if needed.

I can't seem to squelch the text so I'll leave links to pastebins:
1.) https://pastebin.com/GvNFkzhj
2.) https://pastebin.com/FeDACzdk

I wish I could understand the logs but I'm hoping you wonderful folks can help me with that!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Jun 2022 at 1:56 AM
Are you using mods/CC? That's usually one of the places you'll want to start looking - anything having to do with community lots or getting to them, cars/taxis, handling of NPCs/pets on community lots, CC that only appears on community lots, or similar.

Quickest way to test the mods/CC issue is to backup your game (always backup before testing!), temporarily remove anything that won't cause long-term problems if removed, and try to replicate the issue. If everything works, it's likely to be a CC/mod issue. If not, it's probably something else.

Memory handling could also potentially be an issue. Looks like your game is using 2 GB RAM (default). Newer computers often benefit from the 4GB patch that enables it to have access to 4 GB.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jun 2022 at 2:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Are you using mods/CC? That's usually one of the places you'll want to start looking - anything having to do with community lots or getting to them, cars/taxis, handling of NPCs/pets on community lots, CC that only appears on community lots, or similar.

Memory handling could also potentially be an issue. Looks like your game is using 2 GB RAM (default). Newer computers often benefit from the 4GB patch that enables it to have access to 4 GB.

Huh... I used the 4GB patcher. I'll re-patch it and make a new shortcut just in case. Do you thin I should give it a go once without mods/downloads folder stripped empty and once with the SavedSims folder empty?
To answer the first question though, I am using quite a few mods. The whole More Awesome Than You package, a couple of custom furnitures though they're PCs, and the rest is all cosmetics.

If needed I'm willing to make a pastebin of the mods I'm using, though I dunno where to get a list, other than a screenshot of the folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Jun 2022 at 11:39 PM
It appears to have happened again with the SavedSims folder deleted but CC active. Ah, dang. I suppose I'll have to start a new save. Gonna try to see if CC off and SavedSims on still has the crash but I doubt it will.

New log, just in case:
https://pastebin.com/6sFLWANX
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Jun 2022 at 12:42 AM
You should try without your downloads - if there is a problem, it's most likely there. Do yourself a favor and move the files to a folder outside your game instead of deleting them, though. You don't want to go hunting them down again.

Make sure you don't delete anything you want to keep (sims/items made in Bodyshop). It's enough to just temporarily move it out and see if that does anything.

You'll also want to delete the cache files (accessory.cache, groups.cache, cigen.package, contentregistry) in the "The Sims 2" folder (loose files in the same folder you find your Downloads folder in, and you'll find 2-4 of these depending on whether you've used the game or Bodyshop). These can occasionally cause some issues, especially if you have CC.

---

Looks like the 4GB fix is properly applied now (should say "System memory: 4096 Megabytes total, 4096 Megabytes free"), but the game is crashing at about 2 GB memory usage (MemoryUsage: 2030528K). Doesn't have to be an issue, though.

Are you using the DXVK/Vulcan fix to run your game?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th Jun 2022 at 2:25 AM
Also - this is pretty basic, but it's always the most basic things that trip me up - when did you last clean out the dust and cat hair? And do you save and then go to the lot, or let it save on exiting? Because saving and then exiting greatly reduces the strain of changing lots.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th Jun 2022 at 8:11 AM
How big are these community lots and how many trees are on it?
Basic things like Peni says - are most often the reason lots lag or crash.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 7th Jun 2022 at 11:30 PM
That sounds like what hapened to me once playing in the Pleasantview shipped with the game before having to abandon it and that issue can start up if the town you're playing is starting to get corrupted as was the case with Pleasantview when that started happenig to me in that old game setup on my older computer.I'd want to know if the crashes are all happening in the same town every time even if not the same family because that's how it was in my case before Pleasantview would crash on loading the town.It's likely town corruption causing the issue if the families are all in the same town map and the community lot visits are always causing the game to crash.Some maps create with way too much vegetation and have to be cleared out which is often only possible using a camera hack for the town like the one I use.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Jun 2022 at 12:39 AM
The one thing I see is memory
System memory: 2048 Megabytes total, 2048 Megabytes free.
I would redo the 4gb patch.

Edit: Okay I see you did do that later. make sure you are not setting the game in compatibility mode that will remove it.
Also try dusting it out if you haven't in a while.
And try without CC (make a full back up first)
Run hood Checker

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Jun 2022 at 2:22 AM
Have you tried without downloads?
If it is a downloads issue, you'd probably be able to play past whenever the game usually crashes. Doesn't have to be a mod - could be a bad piece of CC that keeps generating on a townie.

If it's not, I'm guessing it could be a memory issue of some sort. The game starts generating NPCs/townies when you enter a community lot, and maybe the strain is a bit too much if there are too many sims on the lot.

If you use the DXVK, that could potentially be part of the issue. I could barely load up lots without it crashing my game when I tried that one out, but after removing it, my frequent crashing issues stopped. It helps for some people but not for everyone. Could also be it's not set up properly, so maybe look into that?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Jun 2022 at 4:50 AM
I used to get ramdom crashes before using software to manage my computer to stop background tasks from starting up automatically in the background and still use a lot of that kind of stuff and even use mode managers to switch between standard,economy and gaming modes according to what I'm doing.I go though a lot of management every time I load my game up and only rarely get a crash now and my game starts up quickly with all I go though before clicking on my shortcut to load it.It can also happen if too many programs run in the back ground on your computer and can also be that you don't have any mode management program installed to help you tell your computer what you want to do with it like I do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Jun 2022 at 10:06 AM
Sorry that I hadn't replied to all yet, was a bit busy yesterday! It's very early where I am so I will do more testing later, but for now this is what I've done/found and some answers to what I've been asked and suggested.

• I have not been able to recreate the crash without the downloads folder. It must be CC. I tried with CC but no SavedSims, that still crashed.
  • I am playing with DXVK. I suspect it's causing serious frame drops around reflective surfaces, sometimes the framerate has dropped as low as 8FPS if there's a big pool and I'm all zoomed out...which is suspicious, but otherwise nothing strange has happened. I'd gotten this very same crash on W7 using DX9.
  • I do save often before exiting and leaving a lot. I get paranoid about the crash and don't wanna lose progress, hahaha.
  • This crash has happened in tiny community lots and huge ones, for example I've crashed in Pepe's pets and Downtown. It's shared across all hoods and families, unfortunately.
  • HoodChecker seems to find the "usual" type of corruption. Invalid relationship to self, etc. Nothing stands out to me, though I bet that has to be cleaned despite being no expert.
  • I found Sims2HCDU and checked for conflicts. There was one between two stereo hacks. I deleted one and the crash has not happened again, but I should give it more time later. Not enough testing this morning. Could it have been this?

Honestly I'm very grateful so many people have chipped in to help. I have to get some work done but I will check more thoroughly later today and report back!
P.S: I'm on Windows 10, is there any way to play TS2 without DXVK?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Jun 2022 at 10:56 AM
It can definitely be a mod conflict I hope it is solved now!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 8th Jun 2022 at 2:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Th3LimiT
I'm on Windows 10, is there any way to play TS2 without DXVK?

I'm playing TS2 without DXVK currently, msotly because it gave me crashes when I barely had any CC, so I decided to try without. Had issues with pink-flashing, which seemed to have had a different fix than the DXVK (the reason I tried that in the first place).

If the DXVK works for you, then you can use it. Was just a suggestion in case you couldn't find the solution elsewhere.

Community lots often have stereos (especially the Maxis ones), so the conflicting hacks could very well be the issue, especially if you've not had any stereos on regular lots. It's usually the things you don't think about (and very often mods/CC, so always check those first).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Jun 2022 at 6:58 AM
It crashed again, unfortunately. Seems my best bet is trying the 50/50 method to find the culprit . It's a long process but better than nothing, first I'll begin with the hacks. If nothing works, I'll just begin again with a clean directory and see where that goes.
I'll skip the log this time, same exception address as all the last ones. That seems to be constant at least.

If anyone knows anything about "Section:Offset: 0x01:0x003bbec5" crashes (for lack of a better word) how you solved it/how to identify what it means, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I'm playing TS2 without DXVK currently, msotly because it gave me crashes when I barely had any CC, so I decided to try without. Had issues with pink-flashing, which seemed to have had a different fix than the DXVK (the reason I tried that in the first place).

If the DXVK works for you, then you can use it. Was just a suggestion in case you couldn't find the solution elsewhere.

Community lots often have stereos (especially the Maxis ones), so the conflicting hacks could very well be the issue, especially if you've not had any stereos on regular lots. It's usually the things you don't think about (and very often mods/CC, so always check those first).

Did you have to do anything special to play TS2 on W10 natively? When I try to play with DXVK I crash upon entering any household or custom hood. I was under the impression that W10 didn't support DX9 or something along those lines and that was why, but if there's a way to play without it, I'd love to try it. I'm getting really huuuge frame drops near any reflections despite having a 3080 and modern i7 and I suspect it's a Vulcan thing.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 9th Jun 2022 at 3:58 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Jun 2022 at 12:45 AM.
I had to set up graphicrules (used the old GRM, it deleted an important line which caused pink soup and sent me into a hell-hole of trying all sorts of fixes, but eventually I sorted it out by adding in that line manually - the new GRM has that fix as a tick box).

I also play windowed (helps a lot for the DX9 issue - this pretty much immediately solved it for me, after the GR was set up properly), and with a somewhat lower screen resolution than what my laptop is set up to handle (laptop at 1920x1080, game slightly lower so it doesn't cover all my icons, because I like being able to access them - but I have up to 4K for the screen. The game just seems to hate playing at much higher resolutions. It's a smaller laptop screen, so currently I don't need anything huge anyway. I just don't see the reason to fight it unless you've got a much larger screen).

I'm also using the 4GB patch (without it the game - or Bodyshop - barely wants to start up), and I have set up the Memory Allocation Fix but it keeps temporarily sending my harddrive into 100% use after running (and I don't want that to happen every 5 minutes) so I haven't set it up to run indefinitely, I just have it in case it's needed, and run it manually every now and again (I've had some other memory issues with Windows Update lately, which finally resolved... took ages. The MAF came in handy a few times). On my old computer I had a program that did the same but I could run it side-by-side and just click a button (running through windows is sometimes really slow when other stuff is running), kinda wish I had something like it on this one, but can't remember the name of it and don't know if it would work or is even updated for Win10.

I tried DXVK as part of the whole pink soup fix thing, but after having solved the issue, my game kept crashing randomly even with barely any CC in. After I removed the DXVK, I don't think I've had a crash since.

Just have to say that I haven't yet played with my full load of old CC (somewhere between 24 and 30 GB, working on reorganizing and removing stuff I no longer want), but it has loaded up around 5-6 GB without complaining.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Jun 2022 at 11:24 PM
Wow, Sims 2 is hard work on Windows 10! Honestly, I might keep a W7 bootable drive just for these things.